PDA

View Full Version : Skill questions

Sliver
2009-06-18, 06:41 AM
What is the rule about limiting the number of animals one can have under his control? Is there any restriction, by ranks in handle animal or something? If a player would like to tame or buy some animals, how should it be handled without making it rediculis?

Another question, about bluff..
I am planning on using sence motive as a passive skill for the chars most of the time, unless they are activle questioning someone, meaning I assume a 10 on the rolls. But how should I handle attitudes? If a player says his character is trusting or suspicious of somebody, or if someone is trusting or suspicious of the group. If the player doesn't believe someone, should there be a check to convince the player he is speaking the truth and same in case of an NPC not believing. And if one trusts one that is bluffing, should I just plainly give a penalty to sense motive, or is there something more.. complex?

Duke of URL
2009-06-18, 09:20 AM
You should most definitely grant circumstance modifiers to bluff vs. sense motive based on the level of trust already existing. If someone has good reason to trust or not trust the other, then that should be factored into the check.

Since there's no hard and fast rules on this, you're going to have to "eyeball" them. Just figure that a modifier for someone who simply distrusts strangers is going to be less than someone who has been repeatedly been lied to in the past, for example.

Sliver
2009-06-18, 09:53 AM
I was thinking about a diplomacy check to convince someone you are telling the truth, but I don't have a clue what should be up against it, an opposed check, maybe diplomacy too. Every side throws diplomacy and if the one trying to convince gets higher, he manages, and maybe the one getting convinced can get a 'penalty' equal to sense motive bonus. Or maybe diplomacy against a static DC..

On that note.. Sometimes the player is aware that something is going on, if his char doesn't have sense motive it doesn't mean that she is dumb and believes everything right?

Another question I remembered..
I'm not yet expirienced DMing and my group isn't expirienced playing so we had only a few shortlived campaigns so far, and nothing fancy. I didn't challange the players because I wanted to avoid a TPK but now I want to change that. And I don't want to make more flat terrain fighting.
But I don't want to force them to take skills that I myself didn't make them use and that they might or might not use themselves. I don't want to punish them for something that is yet unexpceted for me too.

So I though about every character getting extra skill points that can be put only in specific skills. I was thinking about something like chars with higher then 14STR getting 4 points to invest in strength based skills (jump, swim, climb ect..) and if they have 14 or less, then 2. Also same with INT, but gaining the option to put in knowledge, decipher script and language.
Maybe some changes to the idea? can you recommend good skills for every or some of the attributes?

Duke of URL
2009-06-18, 09:56 AM
Take a look at mechanically fluffy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53715) in the homebrew section.