PDA

View Full Version : 3.0/3.5 Ghostwalk

JeenLeen
2009-06-18, 07:44 AM
Has anyone used the sourcebook "Ghostwalk"? It seems interesting, but I'm wondering how easily it would be to use a Eidolon or Eidoloncer in an otherwise living campaign.
I'd like opinions both using and not using the "No Calling" variant mentioned on page 12.

Also, how does Eidoloncer compare to a straight-up (or slightly multiclassed) Wizard?

Edit: to clarify my edition: It's a 3.0 book I'm looking at, but I'm thinking of incorporating it into a 3.5 campaign.

The Rose Dragon
2009-06-18, 07:58 AM
IIRC, it increases spellcasting every level except the first. So it should work more or less OK.

Ghostwalk was one of the best supplements of 3rd Edition (IMHO). Shame it never got updated to 3.5.

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-18, 08:11 AM
IMHO, there's nothing in Goshtwalk you can't update for 3.5.

Just a thing: if you have access to splatbooks about Yuan-ti like serpent kindoms, and about Demons (like BoVD or FCII) could be useful to improve you monsters.

JeenLeen
2009-06-18, 08:56 AM
Would a ghost wearing ghost-touch weapons or armor be able to use them to impact a corporeal person? Or is there a weapon augment to do that?

Claudius Maximus
2009-06-18, 12:20 PM
Would a ghost wearing ghost-touch weapons or armor be able to use them to impact a corporeal person? Or is there a weapon augment to do that?

Yes, they can hit corporeal targets.

From the SRD:

A manifesting ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder.

Rizban
2009-06-18, 12:46 PM
Ghostwalk is one of my favorite supplements. We've used it in several 3.5 games, and it's pretty easy to update. Our fighter kept getting killed by save-or-dies, so she finally just came back as an eidolon following Path of the Traveler and a Flesh fixation for the entrails of her enemies. I'm sure it's quite intimidating to have have a semi-corporeal thing of Gruesome appearance come flying at you with a burning weapons of death... of course, I can only speak from watching the horror on their faces. I was playing a Dwarf Cleric/Deathwarden Chanter with a modified Death domain, which granted undead destroying spells in place of the undead creation spells (actual death domain instead of semi-undeath domain). My character thought our ghost fighter was "an unnatural abomination" that should pass on to the afterlife, and he refused to aid her in any way unless not helping would get them all killed.

Person_Man
2009-06-18, 01:22 PM
It's a pretty solid 3.0 supplement for a DM. The fluff is excellent, and the Ghost options make a Ghost-centric campaign much more fun. Unfortunately, few PCs will be able to eat the +5 level adjustment for the Ghost template, making most of the Ghostwalk crunch inaccessible to them. A nice DM might let them use the level adjusted version (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a), though.

Notable non-Ghost feats:

Education: Makes all Knowledge Skills are class Skills. Useful for qualifying for PrC. I also think it's been reprinted elsewhere in 3.5.

Extra Wild Shape: Gives you 2 more Wild Shape uses per day.

Forceful Staff Style: Poor man's Knockback. Lets you use Stunning Fist with a Quarterstaff, and gives you a free Bull Rush when you successfully do so. Although Monk builds are very troublesome, this has it's use with certain builds. For example, a nice DM will let you combine it with Pharoah's Fist (Sandstorm) which let's you use Stunning Fist for everyone in a 5 ft burst of your enemy, theoretically allowing you to Bull Rush all of them with one hit.

Power Lunge: You add *2 your Str bonus to damage when you charge (instead of *1.5 or *1) regardless of whether you use a one or two handed weapon. Very useful when combined with Headlong Rush and/or Pounce. You provoke an AoO from the enemy you Charged, which is not such a big deal with a reach weapon (or Karmic Strike and/or a King of Smack build).

Wise to Your Ways: Allows you to apply your Favored Enemy bonus to Saves against Supernatural, Spell-like, and Extraordinary abilities from that Favored Enemy. Very useful when applied to Favored Enemy: Arcanist (Complete Mage) or Favored Enemy: Evil (Stalker of Kharash, BoED).

There's also the Deathwarden. While a bit over complicated, this full divine caster progression PrC has some nifty abilities.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-06-18, 01:28 PM
There is a Dragon template for ghosts called "Sagacious". It has no +LA and it gives is Bardic Knowledge equal to your character's HD. Depending on the DM, you could also ask about swapping out Knowledge for Knack. Just a little info in case you end up running a Ghostwalk character.

hiryuu
2009-06-18, 02:42 PM
It's a pretty solid 3.0 supplement for a DM. The fluff is excellent, and the Ghost options make a Ghost-centric campaign much more fun. Unfortunately, few PCs will be able to eat the +5 level adjustment for the Ghost template, making most of the Ghostwalk crunch inaccessible to them. A nice DM might let them use the level adjusted version (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a), though.

Ghosts in Ghostwalk are not undead. They are outsiders. There is a level adjustment +0 template for Ghostwalk ghosts in the front of the book, because they are different from normal ghosts.

Yora
2009-06-18, 03:18 PM
My setting has lingering dead spirts, which are fey and not undead.
I really have to dig out ghostwalk and apply the rules to them. ^^

Waspinator
2009-06-18, 05:22 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned that Ghostwalk WAS updated to 3.5:
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030607a

It, like Monster Manual II, was released right before the changeover so they made the update a free download.

Deth Muncher
2009-06-18, 06:31 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned that Ghostwalk WAS updated to 3.5:
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030607a

It, like Monster Manual II, was released right before the changeover so they made the update a free download.

See, I was GOING to say this, but I kept myself from being ninja'd by reading the thread.

LEARN FROM THIS, PEOPLE.

This is all. :D