PDA

View Full Version : "That's not what I meant"- PbP games

Aedilred
2009-06-18, 09:45 AM
For the last couple of months I've been running a PbP game and enjoying it immensely. I was initially slightly sceptical about running combat with no battlefield map, etc., but in fact that's worked out great. I find that the format gives me more time to breathe; I can offer better and more characterful descriptions of people, places, whatever, come up with appropriate NPCs on request, and respond better to what the players want to do rather than pushing them in directions I've already pre-prepared.

One thing that has repeatedly come into play, though, is that a player will say they want to do something, I'll crunch the numbers, present them with the results, and then they'll say "that's not what I meant" or the like. Which is fine in many situations, but in others it can present problems. For instance, I had one player searching a cavern. I told him how long it took to gather everything up from the floor and what he had amassed in total- somewhere in the region of two hundred tiny, shiny bits of metal, glass, and the like. It was pretty obvious that the room was cleared out.

It was pointed out that there was another chamber beyond, and the guy who'd been searching said "oh yeah, I'll carry on." Given that he's not usually the most descriptive of people, I took this to mean that he was going to carry on into the second room and search there, which set off a trap. When that happened it turned out that he had "meant" he carried on searching the same room and not going through any doorways or anything like that. At the end of the day I decided that if he was that worried about his character dying then he could keep it, and someone else ended up setting the trap off... but by that point the moment was kind of spoiled.

That was the worst example, but something along those lines has happened several times with different players, and it's starting to get a bit annoying. I've asked them to be as specific as possible when describing their actions, as it saves my having to make assumptions and doesn't slow the game down when I have to ask for clarification (something I try not to do anyway, as any questions along those lines that I ask tend to be over-analysed and give the game away). But of course it's to the players' advantage to be vague, because then they retain the "that's not what I meant" get-out-of-jail card, and I notice that in life-or-death situations their descriptions tend to become rather more open to interpretation.

In most respects things are going well and I'm happy with the group, but I can see this issue recurring again and again, and apart from anything else it could make the PCs rather difficult to kill if the players get serious about it (one or two of them are worse offenders than others), so has anyone had prior experience of this sort of problem, and have any useful ways to fix it?

afroakuma
2009-06-18, 09:48 AM
First step, of course, is if you see something ambiguous, pause and ask the player "is this what you mean or is this what you mean?" Make sure to do it in enough nonlethal situations that it won't become a silent alarm.

Blackjackg
2009-06-18, 09:51 AM
You've already the right first step, which was to ask them to be specific. Anytime you don't know exactly what they intend to do, they haven't done their job right.

The second step, as Afroakuma said, is to ask for clarification when you're unsure.

The third step, when they were ambiguous, and you thought they meant one thing but they truly meant another, is to say "Sorry. Next time, be more specific. Now roll that reflex save."

wormwood
2009-06-18, 09:57 AM
How I would deal with it:

Make it known that if you are forced to make assumptions about what the players do, you'll do it in the way you see fit. Perhaps you will base it on the Intelligence of the character. Perhaps you will just base it on how malicious you're feeling that day. However you interpret it, that's what sticks. There will be no do-overs unless you clearly made a mistake in your interpretation (and the player can give a good argument to that affect).

That should get you the detail you need in character actions. If it doesn't... you should no longer feel obligated to give them a free pass. Naturally, you can interpret their actions favorably if you so choose, but you should definitely put it out there that the get-out-of-jail-free cards are no longer valid.

Tallis
2009-06-18, 10:05 AM
I have to agree. Tell them there's a new rule. If they are not clear about what they want to do then your interpretation is final. I bet their descriptions get more specific. :smallwink:

JellyPooga
2009-06-18, 10:52 AM
A common rule in PbP games is "No one line posts". Enforce it. Even if a players action only requires one line, like "I attack the Gnoll, defensively", make them describe it more: "Gorak ducks and dives, trying to avoid the Gnolls blows as best he can, all the while looking for an opening. OOC: Standard Action: Fight Defensively vs. Gnoll". Not only does it prevent ambiguous situations, but it gives the game more colour. It's basically the beauty of PbP over tabletop; you can get all this lavish description in, but don't limit it to GM descriptions, make your players do the same.

TheThan
2009-06-18, 11:05 AM
I find that the format gives me more time to breathe; I can offer better and more characterful descriptions of people, places, whatever, come up with appropriate NPCs on request, and respond better to what the players want to do rather than pushing them in directions I've already pre-prepared.

yeah, that is the beauty of PBP games, you have the time to make the game come alive. Anyway back on topic, what most people have said is true, just tell them they need to be a little bit less vague, and explain why and they should get the idea. If they choose to not be specific then they’ll just have to deal with the consequences of forcing the Dm (you of course) to interpret their actions and motives.

MickJay
2009-06-18, 11:25 AM
You have the right to interpret any ambiguities as you see fit - it adds some extra excitement to the game and they players don't have a cheap way of getting out of trouble they got themselves in. Otherwise you may end up with players purposefully writing in an unclear manner so they could have an easy way out of problems.

Another_Poet
2009-06-18, 11:27 AM
I have to agree. Tell them there's a new rule. If they are not clear about what they want to do then your interpretation is final. I bet their descriptions get more specific. :smallwink:

This.

Do NOT ask for clarification when something is vague. That can delay the game for everyone by 24 hours or more while you wait for a rerponse. On a tabletop it's fine, but PbP needs different rules and the DM must be willing to make judgment calls.

If something is vague, play it the way that seems best. Gripes can be directed at the OOC thread where you may sympathise with the injured party but by no means reverse your decision.

Aedilred
2009-06-18, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the help guys!