PDA

View Full Version : 4e Modern

gnownek
2009-06-18, 11:18 AM
Trying to think how you'd redo d20 modern here. I have some thoughts.

Problems
-Destinies don't quite work
-The stat hero system doesn't quite work
-System has to handle variety of tech levels, availability of guns and fantasy/hi-tech elements
-Not even sure of defender, leader, controller, striker role works with availability of firearms
-Stat balance would break down if Dex was the attribute that helped the most with guns

So how would these be dealt with?

gnownek
2009-06-18, 04:00 PM
My first suggestion is it will be necessary to redefine the roles and classes significantly. In the current 4e, some roles are clearly melee focused (Defender) and these classes would be highly disadvantaged in any campaign setting where technology had rendered melee combat a minor issue.
Some roles (Controller) have an anti-multiple target function that seems to be associated with power sources that may or may not be available in the campaign.

We also need to be able to convert MM opponents to the technology level of the setting. And if those opponents cannot be converted or cannot use modern weapons, some sort of handicap or bonus needs to be provided so they are competitive against a group armed with modern firearms.

gnownek
2010-04-05, 10:36 AM
Detailed homebrew here

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122283

Xallace
2010-04-05, 10:46 AM
I would do 4E modern as follows:

Cut progression in half. 15-level maximum.
Six Standard Classes. Strong, Fast, Tough, Smart, Dedicated, and Charismatic Heroes.
Each class comes with a few class features at 1st level, including one you get to choose. Each choice gears the class towards a different role (Controller, Defender, Leader, Striker).
At least 4 powers per level, one per role. There is nothing stopping you from taking a power that doesn't fit your role, except possibly thematics.
Strong, Fast, Smart, and possibly Charismatic Heroes do not come with "Secondary Abilities," allowing you to have whatever secondary stat you want. Tough and Dedicated would need Str/Dex for Weapon powers, and probably use their Main Stat as riders.
All "Weapon" Keyword powers can be used either Melee or Ranged, so that you have the choice.
At around 4th level you get to choose an advanced path. Advanced paths are generally available, so you could be a classic Strong Hero / Soldier or a Fast Hero / Negotiator if you were inclined.
Base classes and Advanced Paths stop at 10th level. 11th level you pick up a Prestige Class, which comes with its own Encounter, Dailies, and features.
Occupations replace Backgrounds, and would generally be on the same level as Scales of War background benefits. Also, they're mandatory.
Revive "Massive Damage Thresholds," but possibly expand them (Con Score + 3?) for the more heroic nature of 4E. In exchange, everyone's AC goes up to somewhere around Defender-level, and Defenders even better.

Yakk
2010-04-05, 11:50 AM
A first step would be to break the game into protected niches for tactical combat. They don't have to be the D&D 4 roles -- but 4e is based off of roles to provide a motivation behind character differences, and to ensure that players have something to do when combat occurs.

The next step I might do is provide a set of non-combat roles.

Have the class framework be based on tactical/non-combat role pairings.

Figure out what kind of power curve you want (in 4e D&D, 30th level characters are 1000x or more times as powerful as 1st level characters: in many modern era games, we don't want that).

Figure out what kind of combat pacing you want.

Tearing out the standard 4e attributes probably makes sense.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-04-06, 09:03 PM
If you make a rulebook PDF than I can illustrate. :smallwink: