PDA

View Full Version : New Attack Mechanic (Taking Opinions and Advice)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-18, 02:05 PM
Alright. I'm polling the playground to see which of the following methods of providing more substance to the basic attack appeals more to the community at large. It's all going to be part of a big ongoing project (possibly several ongoing projects) of mine, so I'd appreciate some help and maybe some ideas.

Here are the options:

Option 1: 4e style. Each class has a seperate pile of basic attacks it can learn, and no other class can.

Option 2: New style. There are several basic combat maneuvers than anyone can learn, with classes providing unique basic at-will powers that serve to add additional options (such as a Barbarian's Rage mechanic kicking in on a powerful attack, and so forth). Classes such as the Assassin may also have unique powers to allow for attacks (like the Death Attack) that not everyone can do. This method is a little more complicated, and requires a little more book-keeping...is it worth it?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-18, 03:31 PM
Option 1: 4e style. Each class has a seperate pile of basic attacks it can learn, and no other class can.

I don't particularly like this idea. The problem with this approach is that (to use the 4e classes as an example) you can't have a ranger with a two-handed weapon or a TWF rogue or a fighter with light thrown weapons, because they don't have the maneuvers to support that fighting style. A ranger should be a woodsman, or a bounty hunter, or a skirmisher, or whatever, not "the guy with the bow or two swords," and a rogue should be a sneaky fighter, or a backstabbing trickster, not "the guy with the dagger or shuriken."

Option 2: New style. There are several basic combat maneuvers than anyone can learn, with classes providing unique basic at-will powers that serve to add additional options (such as a Barbarian's Rage mechanic kicking in on a powerful attack, and so forth). Classes such as the Assassin may also have unique powers to allow for attacks (like the Death Attack) that not everyone can do. This method is a little more complicated, and requires a little more book-keeping...is it worth it?

I'd say having maneuvers for everyone is best without having particular at-will attacks for each class (which has the problems mentioned above). Rather than having "rage powers" for the barbarian and "death attack" for the assassin, just have a rage or death attack ability that modifies other maneuvers. Whether that's something like "Whenever a barbarian uses [subset of maneuvers], he gains [effect]" or something like "This maneuver does X, and Y if it's a barbarian using it" is up to you.

Vadin
2009-06-19, 03:28 PM
I'm a fan of the second option, if it gives everyone access to the same basic maneuvers. Classes could have effects they can add, though.

For example, the Fighter's ability might be a flat bonus to melee attacks.

Wizards might get the ability to make damage from ranged attacks into elemental damage.

Of course, every class would have multiple options that would allow different members of the same class to play in different styles.