PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Base Class: Defender (3.5)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-18, 04:43 PM
I was thinking of putting this request in the Request a Homebrew thread, but its said that whole base classes may be too much, so here it is!

My friend has the idea that, "Hey, you know what'd be awesome? Wearing heavy armor, walking through the enemy's army, and killing people with shields."

What the Defender would be is essentially a tank; heavy armor, shields (my friend had the idea of dual-wielding shields), and all techniques based around that. He had a few ideas for abilities; one of which I recently found out already exists (Shield Bash), and the other is spinning around and hitting everything around you with your shields.

Can I get any help? Thank you in advance.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-18, 04:58 PM
Hmmm...with a slight alteration of the existing rules, Tome of Battle would be excellent for this.

Try the following:

Take the Crusader. Remove Indomitable soul and Smite, and give it a d12 Hit Die (not that large a change). Drop its ability to take White Raven maneuvers, and instead add Iron Heart (again, given the close balance, not a big change).

Wield Spiked Shields (to attack with), and take maneuvers like the following:

Crusader's Strike
Martial Spirit
Steel Wind
Stone Bones
Stonefoot Stance
Shield Block
Wall of Blades
Defensive Rebuke
Revitalizing Strike
Thicket of Blades
Iron Heart Surge
Roots of the Mountain
Entangling Blade
Mithral Tornado
Boulder Roll
Overwhelming Mountain Strike
Dazing Strike
Iron Heart Focus
Mountain Avalanche
Giant's Stance
Aura of Triumph
Iron Heart Endurance
Crushing Vise
Iron Bones
Irresistible Mountain Strike
Shield Counter
Avalanche of Blades
Scything Blade
Colossus Strike
Immortal Fortitude
Adamatine Hurricane
Supreme Blade Parry
Adamantine Bones
Strength of Stone
Earthstrike Quake
Strike of Righteous Vitality
Strike of Perfect Clarity
Mountain Tombstone Strike

Heavy armor? Check. Shields? Check. Tanking? Check. Shield bashes/counters? Check. Other cool and powerful options? Check. :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-18, 05:00 PM
Tome of Battle? Ok then, thank you almighty Djinn.

Now for my second wish... Sarcasm is my friend =D

Chrono22
2009-06-18, 05:35 PM
The knight base class from the PHB2 would also work well for this concept.

Roderick_BR
2009-06-19, 02:19 PM
Using Improved Shield Bash, and other shield related feats (I think there's one that allows you to do stunning attacks too, and one that increases shield bash damage with charges, but that may be 3.0). Look for that Tactical Feat that uses spiked shields and armor (aka, the Sonic, the hedgeog feat). Not hard to do.