PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sublime Way Barbarian

HasegawaTakumi
2009-06-19, 06:30 AM
I need a variant for the Barbarian class using the Sublime Way from the Bo9S

I was thinking of removing Trap Sense and DR, giving him access to Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw and Glacial Chill (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48255)
Maneuvers/stances progression and recovery as a Warblade.

What do you think? Is it balanced?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-19, 06:34 AM
Glacial Chill seems like an odd choice. I'd replace it with White Raven to allow for the Barbarian Chieftain.

I'd also be tempted to attempt to balance it more by giving it the Swordsage recovery and the Warblade's maneuvers known, and banning it from taking Adaptive Style, as the Barbarian's class features are...well...already very good compared to the Warblades. Perhaps allow it to Recover maneuvers as a free action when it first rages, and also when it rolls a natural 20 on an attack roll for that good primal feel.

HasegawaTakumi
2009-06-19, 07:31 AM
Glacial Chill seems like an odd choice. I'd replace it with White Raven to allow for the Barbarian Chieftain.

Well, Glacial Chill was thrown in the list for the nordic warrior feel... maybe they could choose only one of the two...

Perhaps allow it to Recover maneuvers as a free action when it first rages, and also when it rolls a natural 20 on an attack roll for that good primal feel.

I was thinking of a 'raging recovery' too, but didn't know if it was balanced

Anyway, thank for the help

Eldariel
2009-06-19, 07:35 AM
Here's what I was able to dig up from the Martial Compendium (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-763404). That said, what you're suggesting would probably work out just fine. I agree with Glacial Chill being an odd choice, but hey, your character! And yeah, a Rage-related recovery would make all sorts of sense. You could even try to play up the "Rage point"-idea used by Pathfinder Barbarian and allow him to recover maneuvers whenever using those.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-19, 08:00 AM
Well, Glacial Chill was thrown in the list for the nordic warrior feel... maybe they could choose only one of the two...

What I like to do for my Sublime X classes is give them 1 or 2 default disciplines and then let them pick others based on a theme. For instance, for the sublime barbarian, I might do this:

"Barbarians, being resilient and hard-hitting warriors, all have access to Iron Heart and Stone Dragon. In addition, you gain access to one additional discipline of your choice from the list below:

Norse Berserker: After learning to fight in the frozen north, you think nothing of fighting bare-chested in the snow. You gain access to Glacial Chill.

Jaguar Warrior: Most of your training was done in tropical jungles, learning from and emulating the large cats who rule there. You gain access to Tiger Claw.

Nomadic Chieftain: As an influential figure in a plains tribe, you've learned to use your tribe's numbers to your advantage. You gain access to White Raven.

Urban Brawler: You are the guardsman, bouncer, or thug that no one wants to meet in a dark ally. You gain access to Setting Sun."