PDA

View Full Version : Most ridiculous monsters and races

quick_comment
2009-06-19, 11:03 AM
What are the most absurd combinations you have found?

I think half-dragon warforged is pretty messed up. Was his mother a blow up doll?

Krrth
2009-06-19, 11:05 AM
Well, let's see...

A half-dragon ooze

A half-fiend gelatinous cube (w/ monk levels!)

Half-dragon true lycanthrope.

Xenogears
2009-06-19, 11:21 AM

I think half-dragon warforged is pretty messed up. Was his mother a blow up doll?

A wizard did it.....

Ummm let me think. A paragon psuedonatural Hecatontcheires. A (perfect) ball of twisted tentacles.

Fixer
2009-06-19, 11:23 AM
A wizard did it.....

Ummm let me think. A paragon psuedonatural Hecatontcheires. A (perfect) ball of twisted tentacles.Add in "axiomatic" if you want it to be 'perfect'.

Babale
2009-06-19, 11:29 AM
My friend spent 8 hours making a monster with about 40 templates. The monster could kill you as a free action, every round.

Xenogears
2009-06-19, 11:38 AM
Add in "axiomatic" if you want it to be 'perfect'.

Wanted to but it can only be applied to lawful creatures and Hecatoncheires are always CE. I know always doesn't mean always but theres only supposed to be a handfull of these things I can't picture the LE one having shown up yet.....

Rowan Intheback
2009-06-19, 12:41 PM
I have used the following:

A Gelatinous Cube full of acid born sharks.

A Choker Swiftblade Thrall of Demogorgan. He took all the turns.

A goliath barbarian/dungeon crashing/hulking hurler who rode atop a Beholder vairiant which in turn rode atop a giant ant who's move speed was 10 ft. less than the barbarian. In times of desparation he would use the beholder as an improvised weapon dealing 20d6 with each hit. (thanks to the retarded weight to damage rules in the back of complete warrior)

Doc Roc
2009-06-19, 12:44 PM
My friend spent 8 hours making a monster with about 40 templates. The monster could kill you as a free action, every round.

Free action seems unlikely unless he used templates that are either epic, or generally impossible to qualify for. I'd love to see it, but I'm afraid Friend-Of-A-Forum-Stranger Stories don't really impress me anymore. Because I'm old and bitter.

Mine is probably:

I use NPCs as my monsters almost exclusively.

Human, Clay Half-Golem
Taint is hilarious. Did I mention hilarious? Check it out, heroes of horror. Adjudicate it from your own perspective, but I'm sure he gets these feats as-or-before he needs them from taint, leveling, and flaws.
Great Fortitude, Combat Casting, Divine Metamagic(Persist), Persist
Power attack, cleave, intimidating rage, destructive rage

5 Dread Necromancer
3 Ur Priest
7 Geomancer
1 Rage Mage
4 levels of frenzied Berserker

Even as a clay half-golem, he can actually still self-buff thanks to the fact that his magic\spell immunity only stops spells as per the golem of his type. In other words, personal range buffs don't have SR, and thus he can cast things like Divine Power on himself without issue.

You may need to move levels around, this was a ten minute build that I've found myself re-using for final bbegs.

Eurantien
2009-06-20, 04:31 AM
Free action seems unlikely unless he used templates that are either epic, or generally impossible to qualify for. I'd love to see it, but I'm afraid Friend-Of-A-Forum-Stranger Stories don't really impress me anymore. Because I'm old and bitter.

Personally, I think most of these are just bizarre. Particularly the free action (quickened FoD?). The gelatinous cube full of acid-born sharks made me smile though.

Quietus
2009-06-20, 04:38 AM
Personally, I think most of these are just bizarre. Particularly the free action (quickened FoD?). The gelatinous cube full of acid-born sharks made me smile though.

They need lazors, though.

#Raptor
2009-06-20, 04:58 AM

Mmmmh... a dragon made himself some warforged in his own image, without altering the original construction all too much.

Call it a Dragonforged.

Fishy
2009-06-20, 05:07 AM
Necropolitan from Libris Mortis, Entomanothrope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a) from the web, Hivenest from Dungeonscape- and I think you have a giant spider made out of tiny spiders.

Bayar
2009-06-20, 05:21 AM

Dragonborn warforged + dragon. Simple as that.

This is my random encounter:

Half-Field Vampire Black Half-Dragon Spider, Monstrous Large CR 6
Always Neutral Evil Medium Undead
Init +8

AC 29 FF 21 Touch 18
(+8 Dex, +11 natural)
HD: 4
HP: 26 (4d12+0) HP Range: 4-48
Fort +4 Ref +9 Will +2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed 30ft, 20ft climb
Base Atk +3 Grp +10
Attack: Slam +10 1d4+7
Attack: Bite +10 1d6+10
Full Attack: Bite +10 1d6+10
Space 5 ft. (1 squares) Reach 5 ft. (1 squares)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abilities Str 25(+7) Dex 27(+8) Con -- Int -- Wis 12(+1) Cha 10(+0)

Total Feats: 2
Feats:

Poison(Ex): Fortitude save DC 12(+2 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) avoids
A monstrous spider has a poisonous bite. The bite deals 1d6 Str initial and secondary. The save DCs are Constitution-based.
Web(Ex): Fortitude save DC 12(+2 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) avoids
Both types of monstrous spiders often wait in their webs or in trees, then lower themselves silently on silk strands and leap onto prey passing beneath. A single strand is strong enough to support the spider and one creature of the same size. Web-spinners can throw a web eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the spider. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst it with a Strength check. Both are standard actions the DC for breaking the web is the listed DC + 4 (from a specific racial bonus). Web-spinners often create sheets of sticky webbing from 5 to 60 feet square, depending on the size of the spider. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot section has 12 hit points, and sheet webs have damage reduction 5/�. A monstrous spider can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.
Tremorsense(Ex): A monstrous spider can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 60 feet in contact with the ground, or within any range in contact with the spider�s webs.
Darkvision(Ex): 60ft
Vermin traits(Ex): Immunity to all mind affecting effects (charms, compulsion, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)
Low-light Vision(Ex):
Breath Weapon 60ft line of acid(Su): Reflex save DC 12(+2 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) reduces damage by half.
A half-dragon's breath weapon deals 6d8 damage
Damage Reduction(Su): 5/magic
Cold Resistance(Ex): 5
Electricity Resistance(Ex): 10
Fire Resistance(Ex): 5
Smite good(Su): 1/day a half-fiend creature can smite a good foe and add an additional 4 damage(based on HD) to the attack. If the smite is used against a foe that is not good it adds no additional damage but the smite is still used for the day.
Immunity to Poison(Ex): Immunities cannot be supressed for beneficial affect.
Spell Resistance(Ex): 14

Advancement [5-7(Large)]

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-20, 06:18 AM
Owlbear (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0322.html).

There is no need for templates or anything else - Owlbear > All.

Eurantien
2009-06-20, 06:50 AM
Owlbear (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0322.html).

There is no need for templates or anything else - Owlbear > All.

That's what I originally intended to say! Before getting distracted by acid breathing sharks inside gelatious cubes.

Stormthorn
2009-06-20, 10:18 AM
Half-Dragon Half-Farspawn Half-Golem Halfling?

Or apply half dragon and half farspawn to a water elemental.

Graymayre
2009-06-20, 03:40 PM
Were-Trex anything, (preferably something small, so that the PCs don't suspect a thing, like a snail)

Blackjackg
2009-06-20, 04:46 PM
Were-Trex anything, (preferably something small, so that the PCs don't suspect a thing, like a snail)

The lycanthrope template specifically says that the creature they turn into must be within one size category. So a were-Tyrannosaurus would have to be at least large-sized to begin with (although, a Troll Were-Tyrannosaurus would be pretty badass).

AslanCross
2009-06-20, 05:09 PM
The lycanthrope template specifically says that the creature they turn into must be within one size category. So a were-Tyrannosaurus would have to be at least large-sized to begin with (although, a Troll Were-Tyrannosaurus would be pretty badass).

He could use a Flail Snail (Large). Except that a Flail Snail is of the Vermin type, so that wouldn't work either.

I'm trying very hard to imagine what a half-gold dragon gelatinous cube would look like. It's gold, scaly, but...transparent? WITH WINGS?

ranagrande
2009-06-20, 05:53 PM
I'm actually doing that for a game now. It's still a work in progress because I need to fit a few more things into it before I allow it to stop being a Monstrous Humanoid.

Anyway, so far I have a Half-Vampire Phrenic Feral Woodling Reptilian Tauric Protean Scourge-Guardian Shadow Monstrous Chameleon Magebred Mineral Warrior Warbeast Legendary Bear.

I know, I haven't gotten to any of the good ones yet.

Blackjackg
2009-06-20, 07:22 PM
I'm trying very hard to imagine what a half-gold dragon gelatinous cube would look like. It's gold, scaly, but...transparent? WITH WINGS?

The better question (as with all half-dragon creatures) is "What self-respecting gold dragon would nail a gelatinous cube, and why?"

AslanCross
2009-06-20, 09:33 PM
The better question (as with all half-dragon creatures) is "What self-respecting gold dragon would nail a gelatinous cube, and why?"

The implications of this question are too frightening to comprehend, which is why I prefer to avoid it. I'm sure any explanation for it would not be permissible on this board. :smalleek:

SilverClawShift
2009-06-20, 09:35 PM

I played a half-dragon Warforged once.

My explenation was that the materials they dug up for my construction had a few dragon scales in the mix, and the forge brought out the inherant magical energies of the dragon.

TSED
2009-06-20, 09:39 PM

Just get some dragon genetic material inside the mitosis of the Gelatinous Cube?

You could do it with modern tech, I've got no idea how a dragon would pull it off though.

arguskos
2009-06-20, 09:53 PM
An awakened paragon pseudonatural half-red dragon gelatinous cube. It's named Anos, and is smarter than most people. I actually really liked that monster too. Hard to figure out how to apply everything in order, but I worked it out once.

Pronounceable
2009-06-20, 11:59 PM
half orc. other half, also orc.

The better question (as with all half-dragon creatures) is "What How a self-respecting gold dragon would nail a gelatinous cube, and why?"
Fixed it.

SilverClawShift
2009-06-21, 12:05 AM
HOW isn't really that hard to picture.

Not that you'd ever WANT to HATE YOU ALL

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-21, 12:38 AM
@Silverclawshift:

BoEF makes mention of the fact that an Undead perfectly peserved by Gentle Repose(loses the spell for no more than an hour over it's entire existance) can still procreate. Half-Vampire Gelatinous Cube.

Haven
2009-06-21, 12:59 AM
HOW isn't really that hard to picture.

Not that you'd ever WANT to HATE YOU ALL

I figured it would be using polymorph.

Then I read this, and realized, "Well...not necessarily..."

Damn you, internet!

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-21, 01:04 AM
I figured it would be using polymorph.

Then I read this, and realized, "Well...not necessarily..."

Damn you, internet!Gelatinous Cubes reproduce by budding asexually. Try to figure out how thhe dragon fits into that.

TSED
2009-06-21, 01:23 AM
Gelatinous Cubes reproduce by budding asexually. Try to figure out how thhe dragon fits into that.

Genetic material into the mitosisizing Gelatinous Cube.

Not hard to figure out at alllllll.

Recaiden
2009-06-21, 01:38 AM
He could use a Flail Snail (Large). Except that a Flail Snail is of the Vermin type, so that wouldn't work either.

That's what the entomanothrope template is for. Were-vermin. I love that template.

I like vampire dire weasels myself. 2d4 CON a round, at CR4, and the only need to hit once.

And of course, the IKEA Tarrasque.

Gerbah
2009-06-21, 02:30 AM
There was a creature we came up with a while ago named Peekaboo, which had a ton of damned templates on it. If I remember the basics, it was a multi-headed Dragon (like 100 heads I think) with a Demi Lich in each head via some rule or template, or just 'cause. They Might Be Mindflayers... too. It was pretty horrendous, the joke we made is that it would take "Twenty level 20 characters each with very deep and intricate back stories to kill it."

Korivan
2009-06-21, 09:40 AM

????? I don't even know how thats possible since warforged don't reproduce.

Flickerdart
2009-06-21, 09:42 AM
????? I don't even know how thats possible since warforged don't reproduce.
A wizard did it. Savage Species lists this as something Wish can do.

hamishspence
2009-06-21, 09:52 AM
or the Dragon Disciple PRC- nothing preventing living constructs from taking it.

A Wizard Did It is simpler though.

erikun
2009-06-21, 09:54 AM
I don't think there's anything stopping you from being an Awakened Undead Half-Dragon Warforged Illithidkin.

hamishspence
2009-06-21, 09:56 AM
Dragon Magazine's OOTS strips had one "Vampiric Half-dragon half-troll lycanthropic fiendish snail"

thats one of my favourites for sheer ridiculousness.

And since Giant Slugs have been statted out in Dragon (slug is pretty close to snail), you could create a giant version of one of these.

Adumbration
2009-06-21, 10:22 AM
Genetic material into the mitosisizing Gelatinous Cube.

Not hard to figure out at alllllll.

Now I can't get rid of the image. :smalleek: