PDA

View Full Version : Bloodstorm Blade (Captain America) Build?

togapika
2009-06-19, 11:09 AM
I know there's gotta be a build somebody made using the class around here somewhere, anyone know where it is or have one? Needs to be playable at all levels as we'll be starting at level 1 and working our way up. Also must be good friendly. If it matters, the build will be used in the "World's Largest Dungeon"

Person_Man
2009-06-19, 11:49 AM
Here's an old Captain America build (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=749967).

Any Cap build is pretty strait forward. Combine Master Thrower with Bloodstorm Blade and Power Attack. If you're feeling really crazy, go with a King of Pong (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5897646)ish combo (Bloodstorm Blade + Dungeoncrasher + Shock Trooper + Knockback). There's also Sam the Shuffling Shield Soldier (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5455813&postcount=37), which is far less powerful, but somewhat amusing.

Other shield related fun:

Shield of the Severed Hand: +4 heavy wooden shield. Once per round grants you a Free Bull Rush at a +4 bonus whenever someone hits the shield (misses you in melee by 6 or less - more if you can improve your shield AC bonus). Requires True Believer feat and 7 HD. 24,800 gp, Complete Divine pg 102.

Divine Shield: As a Standard Action, burn a turn/rebuke undead feat to gain your Cha bonus to your shield’s armor bonus for 1/2 your character level rounds. Complete Warrior pg 106.

Parrying Shield: You add your shield bonus to Touch AC. Lords of Madness pg 181.

Shield Ward: +1 to your shield bonus, and your shield bonus applies to touch attacks and checks to resist Bull Rush, Disarm, Grapple, Overrun, and Trip attempts. Requires Shield Specialization (waste of a feat). PHBII 82.

Shield Slam: When you charge an enemy and attack with your Shield, you get a free Trip attack (from Shield Charge pre-req feat) and your enemy must Save or be Dazed for 1 round. Daze is a very potent effect, as it effects everyone (including Undead, Constructs, etc). A good low level combo - but unless your DM is generous in how he reads the feat, it can’t be used with Pounce, so it loses it’s usefulness by ECL 11+. Requires Shield Bash and Shield Charge. Complete Warrior pg 105.

Wand Chamber: Puts a single wand inside a weapon or shield. As long as you’re holding it, you count as holding the wand. UMD is your friend. Dungeonscape pg 34.

togapika
2009-06-19, 12:13 PM
I checked out the older build before I posted this thread, but as it requires using Crusader, that just seems a bit too random for my tastes as well as not focusing on ranged combat.
Any idea what the optimal number of BB vs Master Thrower levels would be?

Keld Denar
2009-06-19, 02:19 PM
Most of the goodies from BSB come by level 4, making it the logical jump out point. Unless you want to throw your shield at EVERYONE within reach, that should be good enough.

Master Thrower, of cource, is level 5.

So, thats 9 levels, +5 levels minimum of some combination of Warblade, Fighter, and Barbarian to qualify. That leaves you 6 levels afterwards to play with, unless you get more BSB levels.

I'd build, for playablility, as X5/BSB4/MT5/X6. BSB really powers the build, MT just adds tricks. After that, its really not relevant. Leading into MT, I'd probably build Barb1/Fighter2/Warblade2, although Figher2/Warblade3, Fighter4/Warblade1, and Fighter1/Warblade4 all have their merits depending on what feats/features you desire.

Darrin
2009-06-19, 02:29 PM
Other shield related fun:

Another shield from a rather obscure source:

Griffon Shield: +2 bashing heavy steel shield. It can be wielded two-handed for extra PA damage (although as a one-handed weapon, any heavy shield can be wielded two-handed). As an immediate action, creates a 10' diameter sphere of force (similar to resilient sphere) that shoves people away, Ref save DC 16, up to 5 rounds a day. From the Animated Series Handbook.

Wand Chamber: Puts a single wand inside a weapon or shield. As long as you’re holding it, you count as holding the wand. UMD is your friend. Dungeonscape pg 34.

Didn't know about this one... wow, that's pretty darned nifty!

FinalJustice
2009-06-19, 04:57 PM
Bulwark of Antimagic, Draconomicon. A +1 tower shield with an 1/day AMF. Assuming Bloodstorm Blade mojo is ex, you won't lose much, and you can put some damn good pressure on spellcasters.