PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortress Succession Game: Iklistmuthkat

Pages : [1] 2

Lord Herman
2009-06-19, 01:14 PM
For the general Dwarf Fortress discussion thread, go here.

This is a Dwarf Fortress succession game: a game of Dwarf Fortress, where each player runs the fortress for one (in-game) year, and then turns it over to the next player. This way, the fortress becomes a group effort, which can be followed through the journals the players write.

Iklistmuthkat, "Whispermansions"
Seven dwarves set out today in the hopes of settling a town out north near the dolomite region. There's "Grunt", the miner, who apparently does nothing BUT digging. He smells bad, for a dwarf. Then there's "Smash", our furnace operater, who apparently "cracks easily under pressure." Hopefully the only smashing she'll be doing is in a furnace. "Chopper," our Lumberjack and carpenter, "Dish," our forager and bartender, and "Burner," our wood burner, are all fairly competent. There's Rashgurdegel, our noble mason, who insists on being referred to his real name, though everyone calls him "Blockhead" behind his back anyways. Finally, there's myself, Bash, the team's Metalworker, to which nearly all of our forces' labors work towards. It's a harsh world out north, and if we want anyone to immigrate here we'll need the best steel armor a dwarf can make.
- Bash, Metalworker, year 4.

Rules
1. No farming.
2. No domestic animals (insta-butcher).
3. No conventional traps.

Whoever is playing the game should also keep a journal, preferably written from the perspective of one of the dwarves. The game should be turned over to the next player within 2 weeks of receiving it.

How to join in
More players are of course welcome. It's best if you at least know the basics of Dwarf Fortress before you join, as we do play by the abovementioned rules to make things a bit more difficult.

If you want to play, just let us know in this thread. You'll be added to the player list. The list is ordered by the time it's been since your last turn, with new players at the top.

History
{table="head"]Year|Player|Journal
4|Greep|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6322807&postcount=349)
5|Lord Herman|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6325084&postcount=2)
6|TheSummoner|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6359521&postcount=25)
7|Destro Yersul|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6374178&postcount=53)
8|ZeroNumerous|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6580275&postcount=107)
9|Tekren|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6974608&postcount=171)
10|ObadiahtheSlim|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7034559&postcount=189)
11|Crixon|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7089880&postcount=218)
12|TheLogman|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7302947&postcount=291)
13|Lord Herman|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7302975&postcount=292)
14|Destro Yersul|Linky! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7344439&postcount=301)
15|LurkerInPlayground|-[/table]

Upcoming turns
{table="head"]Player|Last Played
ObadiahtheSlim|Year 10
Crixon|Year 11
TheLogman|Year 12
Lord Herman|Year 13[/table]

Lord Herman
2009-06-19, 02:04 PM
Here's the first part of my journal. It's written from the perspective of Blockhead, the mason and leader of the expedition. Who is, apparently, a girl. I've tried to write her more or less as she's described by the game: curious, annoyingly cheerful, and a bit dense.

27th Granite, year 5
Dear diary. Sorry I haven't written in you in a while, but I've been very busy making doors for the rooms of the new arrivals that should be here any time now. Today, though, something interesting happened! I was working on another door, when I heard Chopper shouting something about pointy-eared tree-huggers. When I came to look, I saw the elves had come to visit us!

In my haste, I almost forgot to ask the others to bring our trade goods to the depot, but Bash and Burner were kind enough to carry those heavy boxes for me at the last minute. I really should remember to thank them for that. Anyway, I talked to the elves, who are very interesting people, if a bit strange, and we finally struck a deal. For a few gems, they offered to give us food, and a bottle of some kind of elven liquor. They also had a wooden puzzle box, for which I gave the elves one of Bash's spare pairs of trousers. All in all, a good deal!

28th Granite, year 5
Oh no! Bash is sooooo mad at me right now! He didn't like the puzzle box at all, and he was really angry I traded his trousers for it! He also said some very mean things about the elves and their food, and how 'a few stinking berries and a bottle of swine's piss' weren't worth those gems! I think I'm going to lock myself in my workshop for a few days.

15th Slate, year 5
New dwarves! Today, a group of nineteen migrants arrived at Iklistmuthkat. Their rooms weren't ready yet, so we'll have to hurry to make beds for everyone. Luckily, some of the migrants are carpenters, so the beds should be finished before long.

25th Slate, year 5
The mandrills have come back! They killed Sneak, one of the new hunters! Smash went after them, and killed them all. We now have mandrill stew to last us the next few months. Too bad about Sneak, though.

18th Felsite, year 5
Boot has been acting very strange lately. He's locked himself in his workshop, and won't even come out to eat. I tried to open the door to see what he's making, but he just yelled at me and barred the door. Smash does say he saw Boot carrying a dead monkey into the workshop.

22th Felsite, year 5
Boot finally came out of the workshop, looking very tired and smelling worse than ever. He made a little statue out of monkey bones! It's very pretty. Boot calls it Katdiramal, or 'Glimmerteachers'. I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Here ends the journal of Blockhead. We were attacked by a giant tiger, and she was one of the three dwarves to fall before we took it down.

____

This is the journal of 'Cop' Mengadil, Sheriff of Iklistmuthkat. With Blockhead dead and the position of expedition leader still vacant, I take it upon myself to record the events of these months.

5th Malachite, year 5
Smash has been taking the death of Blockhead pretty hard. He broke a solid dolomite table in two with his bare fists before he calmed down. The other dwarves have been similarly distraught, but they haven't taken it out on the furniture.

Meanwhile, a human caravan has arrived. We've named Barrel our new broker, so he handled the trade negotiations. He acquired some food from the humans, a few barrels of booze, and some raw materials for our craftsdwarves.

13th Malachite, year 5
We thought Smash had finally accepted Blockhead's death, but today he completely lost it. He almost killed another dwarf, but we managed to lock him in a cage and put him somewhere safe.

8th Galena, year 5
Smelly, one of our fisherdwarves, turns out to have some skill at woodworking as well. He made a beautiful scepter made out of a mango tree. He calls it Ilirlikot, or 'Joyousinked'. Because apparently, there's some kind of rule that says the names of artifacts are not allowed to make any sense at all.

Here ends Cops journal. Smash escaped from his cage, and attacked her. The other dwarves came to her rescue and killed Smash, but she was grievously wounded, and bled to death. Shiny was chosen as the new sheriff.

____

So, erm... this is my journal. Mole is my name, mining my trade. I was appointed leader of the Iklistmuthkat expedition after my predecessor's death. Let's hope I have better luck.

The month of Limestone
Okay, so, this month... well, we all know about Smash going nuts and killing the sheriff. Shiny has taken over for her. He's pretty good with an axe, so he should do fine. Oh, and there was also the caravan from the mountainhome. They sold us a cartload of booze.

At the end of the month, we were ambushed by goblins. Carrot, Dish, and Cleaver were killed, and the goblins chickened out before anyone could avenge them.

The month of Sandstone
This month, Boot decided we needed an army to defend the fortress. He set up a training area, and started training together with Bloody Olon, Grumpy, and Smokey. They're getting pretty good, actually. And it'd be great if we can stop using the current strategy of smothering attackers with a dogpile of dwarves.

The month of Timber
There was a new group of migrants this month. We recruited some of them into our army, and the rest was put to work where they were needed. Housing them wasn't much trouble, as we had plenty of bedrooms to spare after our recent losses.

The month of Moonstone
The training sessions are helping a lot. We now have four well-trained axedwarves. Meanwhile, I'm finally back to digging! It's mostly cheap gems so far, but we also struck limonite and bituminous coal.

The month of Opal
Late this month, someone asked me where Burner was. When I asked around, nobody had seen him for the past six months. When we went looking, we found him in his room. Apparently, he had lost both his legs without telling anybody. That does explain our charcoal shortage.

The day after we found Burner, Smokey had an accident during axe training, and lost a hand and a leg. Maybe we should issue wooden training weapons or something.

Greep
2009-06-19, 04:30 PM
Just sell bash's lesser armor, he doesn't care about inferior quality :D

(also if you get mandrills one month, you might wanna send Grunt out in platemail to kill 'em. They'll rip a civilian to pieces. And they love sneaking in. That is, if you don't mind pissing off a smelly miner.)

Lord Herman
2009-06-21, 03:50 AM
I've run into a bit of a problem; one of the migrants who just arrived has taken two pack animals as pets. Is there any way to get rid of them?

Greep
2009-06-21, 04:22 AM
I've run into a bit of a problem; one of the migrants who just arrived has taken two pack animals as pets. Is there any way to get rid of them?

I'm sure there's some way to butcher 'em. They get pretty pissed off when you do, though :/ The "catsplosion" entry on the wiki has some stuff about it.

Edit: Ahah! Pets always follow owners, so simply make the pet follow the owner through a door that dwarves can pass but pets can't. Then let the little buggers starve XD

Lord Herman
2009-06-21, 06:50 AM
I've updated the journal. Blockhead died, so I'll have to tell the rest of this year's story from the perspective of another dwarf.

Greep
2009-06-21, 06:51 AM
I've updated the journal. Blockhead died, so I'll have to tell the rest of this year's story from the perspective of another dwarf.

Dang. Mandrills rip her head off or something?

Lord Herman
2009-06-21, 07:10 AM
She was eaten by a giant tiger. It killed her, Grunt, and Keen-eye (one of the new hunters). I then mobilized the entire population of the fortress, and mobbed the tiger. They ripped it apart with their bare hands.

Edit: Oh no! I continued the journal with Cop, the sheriff, but now she's also dead! She was killed by Smash, who went berserk after seeing Blockhead die. I've updated the journal with her entries.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-21, 09:20 AM
ha! I have a funny feeling that being leader of this place is a death sentence.

TheSummoner
2009-06-21, 10:19 AM
Memo to me: Write the journal from the perspective of a military dwarf... Prepare a tomb for him in advance.

Lord Herman
2009-06-21, 10:40 AM
I do think the person who plays next year is going to have a tough time. I seem to have wrecked our fortress quite thoroughly already, and there's still two seasons to go. :smalltongue:

And yes, Gwyn, it does seem the fortress is cursed. I guess we should have listened to that crazy old dwarf who told us, "whomsoever writes a journal of a fortess built upon this place shall be doomed to die a death most gruesome at the hands of something hairy."

TheSummoner
2009-06-21, 10:58 AM
I suppose unstead of simply building a death trap, I will instead build a monument to non-existance.

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-21, 01:16 PM
I'll sign up to give this a shot, if there's anything left once my turn rolls around. =P

Lord Herman
2009-06-21, 02:17 PM
Alright, I'll put you on the list.

Summoner, do you want to go before or after Destro?

TheSummoner
2009-06-21, 02:48 PM
Can you show me a picture of what we have so far? Also, have we been sieged yet?

Lord Herman
2009-06-21, 03:08 PM
Here you go:
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk431/LordHerman/Whispermansions.jpg

This is just the main level; there are two levels above, which are just roughly dug out caves with some stockpiles and a trade depot, and there are also some mining levels below.

TheSummoner
2009-06-21, 03:16 PM
I guess I'll take it now. Not sure how much I'll be able to play over the next few days, but I have a few days off after that so a year wont be hard.

Greep
2009-06-21, 04:27 PM
Well as long as you keep happiness up with something, no amount of death is fatal at this point until you hit sieges. We can roll with it :) So we gotta add a cook, and an engraver at the least. Also, the big problem seems to be the animals, so we should be getting military ready for mass slaughterings. And on the bright side, now we don't have to feed as many people :smallamused:

TheSummoner
2009-06-21, 04:43 PM
My general plan was to...

1) Build up a powerful military.

2) Build a large trap room at the entrance.

a) Since I believe we have no magma or water even, I'm thinking a large pit with a series of retractable bridges over it, all activated by a single lever. Once the enemies hit a point, the bridges will retract, dropping them... only 2 Z levels for now... If the next guy wants, he can dig it out further. Perhaps in the future, if it isn't too deep, we can lure a dragon or something down there and have him serve as executioner. There will be atleast one way out of the pit, but it will only be reachable by bridge... It exists to collect the goblin loot. Probably leading inside the fortress for convenience... If we do get a dragon, since it can't be tamed (cuz as long as hes feral, we aren't breaking the rules =P), we'd need a way to lure him away for loot collection... I reccomend two ways out of the pit, one leading to an enclosed room that leads into the fortress as well... that way we can open the path, lure him into the room, and slam it shut with him inside, then open the other path letting the dwarves in...

Something like that...

Yeah, water would've been much simpler...

Alternatively, we could just make it so deep that the goblins cant survive the fall and forget the dragon idea entirely...

Have we even been ambushed yet?

Greep
2009-06-21, 04:56 PM
yeah we're toast if we're ambushed. We should probably pick the 4 happiest lleast miserable guys we have and draft them.

TheSummoner
2009-06-21, 05:00 PM
Are cage traps allowed? When I suggested it, I said they could be used, but I'm not sure about here...

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-21, 05:12 PM
Could always put spikes at the bottom of the pit. Do those count as conventional traps? You have to hook them to a lever or a pressure plate, so...

TheSummoner
2009-06-21, 05:28 PM
No they dont, good idea.

Lord Herman
2009-06-22, 09:20 AM
Alright, spring has come, so I'm passing the game on to TheSummoner. Linky! (http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=71473)

I've also updated the journal post. Mole didn't die after writing it, though, which is very suspicious. I think he's a witch.

TheSummoner
2009-06-24, 05:10 PM
(I will be renaming one of the current dwarves, and my entries will be from his perspective.)

Journal of Dormar Ironblood

3rd Moonstone. Year 5.
Today, I was visited by a noble... I didn't bother to remember his name. Those sniveling wusses aren't worth remembering. He requested my assistance in a new settlement... Iklistmuthkat, or "Whispermansions" in common tongue. One time... ONE BLOODY TIME... I salvage a settlement and now they want my help every time. This journal is will serve as a log of my experiences.

16th Obsidian. Year 5.
Earlier this morning, I embarked for my new home. Hopefully the fools before me haven't screwed things up too much... I'm being too optimistic...

1st Granite. Year 6.
Armok dammit! This place is a mess! Where to start... I could barely even find the entrance to this hole through all of the blasted trees. The Barracks are tiny! Where am I to train these fools to properly wield their axes? Our defences are non-existant! Am I to rely on the elves to protect us from those blasted goblins?!? No... never! But fear not, I have a plan... A plan for a trap that will make Armok himself envious! Theres much to do, and I will not waste any further time! Furthermore, I will not allow my miners to waste time tunneling pointlessly. Ruins an otherwise good looking fortress...

17th Granite. Year 6.
One of my men informed me the elves are on their way... I still haven't decided if I will offer them some trinkets or just take what we need...

I've sent men out to chop wood and gather plants... Apparently some idiot noble decided we weren't allowed to grow our own food... I've also set my men to practice unarmed... I don't know what fool was in charge before I got here, but for some reason he thought giving fresh recruits with no experience weapons was a good idea... of all the stupid... Ah well...

Things really are a mess... I'm cleaning up some of the rooms and reorganizing our supplies... food and drink are at stable levels, so I'm not worried... We also have 3 wounded... only 1 has any hope of recovery. I'm assuming the other two were victims of the last ruler's "Take an axe and have some fun" training method, considering their general lack of limbs... If only we had some lava...

23rd Granite. Year 6.
What did I say? What. Did. I. Say.

Goblins. We're under attack from Goblins. And are the elves protecting us? Nope. Do we have sonnd defences? Nope. Smelly distracted them, preventing a worse catastrophy (not sure if he was being brave or just trying to escape), and we managed to fight off the first group of them before anyone was hurt... 4 wrestlers and one with an axe... two of the wrestlers got away, but I'm not worried... they'll be back...

3rd Slate. Year 6.
Bronze made this.
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/473/artifact.png
Alot of good it'll do us... I'm not sure of I should pat him on the back or smack him upside the head.

7th Slate. Year 6.
Mandrills stole much of what the dead goblins left behind... It angers me, but nothing could be done about it...

14th Slate. Year 6.
Some migrants arrived today... A wood burner, a metalsmith, a carpenter six peasants (read: new recruits), , a stoneworker, a butcher, a miner, a mason, a mule and a kitten (read: dinner), a craftsdwarf, a fisherdwarf, a hunter, an engraver, a glass maker, a fish cleaner, an engineer, and and four children... probably some more, but I cant even keep track of them all at this point!*

*(I actually made myself sick writing this entry, being a cat person and thinking about having to kill a poor little kitten =/

Edit: Apparently I can't mark pets to be butchered... I declare it not my problem.)

4th Felsite. Year 6.
Oak reached champion status... first of my students to make it. I'm proud of the boy.

11th Hematite. Year 6.
Humans have come to trade. They're still unloading, so I hope they brought something useful.

My trapped entrance hall is coming along nicely... normally I prefer to use water or magma, but it isn't an option so I'll just have to settle...

11th Malachite. Year 6.
Now THAT is an artifact!
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/473/artifact.png
Gravel really proved his worth. He might be a squishy miner who wouldn't last 5 minutes against a goblin siege, but atleast he gave us something for the new barracks... once they're completed that is...

We fought off another ambush... a three pronged attack. Many of them escaped, but no one was harmed... I also finished sealing off that infernal back door. Now the only way goblins will make it inside is by going through our military and my trap, which I have decided to name "Armok's Extended Central Finger"

Speaking of the finger, digging is going on scheduel, and the briges are being constructed as I speak. We should have no trouble finishing the pit by the end of the year, though I fear the death room will take much longer to complete.

26th Malachite. Year 6.
We struck platinum and magnetite while working on the finger. Armok is pleased!

15th Galena. Year 6.
Mandrills. Those monkey bastards burst into our home and attacked my the workers. A metalsmith had his arm mangled... I hope he heals. The rest were shaken, but mostly unharmed. We managed to slaughter them easily. Mandrill stew for dinner tonight.

17th Limestone. Year 6.
Brick gave birth to a daughter, Pebble.

3rd Opal. Year 6.
Messy recovered and went off to hunt. He never returned. Idiot tried to take down a pack of Gorillas alone.

I've appointed a dwarf I call "Deadeye" to train some marksmen. Things are coming along slowly.

The Finger is nearing completion. The pit below is currently no more than a holding chamber for our goblin prisoners, but the death trap is a task for another time.

As a reward for their training, I'm taking my champions on an Elephant Hunt. The beasts should provide excellent sport!

17th Opal. Year 6.
Those elephants are tough... Didn't scratch my men, but they don't go down easy...

1st Granite. Year 7.
A full year has passed since my arrival. Looking back, I wasn't able to accomplish many civil projects, however I believe my contributions will help protect the fortress for years to come. Unfortunatly, things are no longer in my hands... A visiting noble from the mountainhomes came to relieve me of my command... worthless pile of Kobold bile... One day he'll get his... but for now, I am content to sit back and let a new dwarf take the reigns. As for me? I'll be on the front lines, keeping the fortress safe for as long as my body will allow.

Greep
2009-06-24, 07:27 PM
Well at least you're not making cat bread >.> How many dwarves do we have at this point?

Edit: so that artifact is a spike that wades in moistness? That's a bit.. uh... *ahem*

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-24, 07:32 PM
I'll join. No farming/butcher would be a bit harsh.

TheSummoner
2009-06-24, 08:22 PM
We're at 51 dwarves. None have died on my watch and its now summer...

My trap room is coming along nicely... we won't have any hope of getting the spears in place during my turn, but the room will be dug and can, at the very least, serve as a goblin pit where marksdwarves can practice raining death from above. I'm also turning the depot room into barracks with an archery range, and moving the depot itself deeper into the fortress.

I also cancelled all exploratory mining, mostly because I needed the dwarf-power for my trap. I'm not touching that ugly mess down there - -.

Oh, and Zero, you ARE allowed to butcher, you just have to hunt elephants (and by the time I'm done, we'll have a great military for that... 5 Axedwarves and 8 I plan to turn into Marksdwarves. All will hopefully be legendary wrestlers (for the dodging).

Greep
2009-06-24, 09:02 PM
I've doing elephant hunting and the best way seems to pick your most agile melee guy and set him in steel chain-mail and let him have at it (unless he's very strong and agile, then he gets platemail). That way you don't have to worry about some dork bashing a bow on an enraged elephant. At perfectly agile, he'll rip everything apart so fast one hunter is enough. Anything less than extremely agile is no good, though.

TheSummoner
2009-06-24, 10:20 PM
I've always preferred taking 10+ Marksmen and killing them before they know they're dead... No such thing as overkill...

I'm not too worried about food though... we've got a nice stockpile currently and I have about 3 guys picking plants and 1 fishing. No, its the military thats my main concern.

Greep
2009-06-24, 10:27 PM
You might just want one plant picker and make him full time. I've looked it up and plant picking is incredibly skill based. Best to get the most out of those bushes :)

TheSummoner
2009-06-24, 10:37 PM
There are already three trained to where its their top skill, and plants regrow quickly and in bulk... with no river, and currently lacking the military power to hunt elephants (getting there though), its my best food source... And our only source of alcohol save for trading.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-25, 04:08 AM
with no river

Why didn't we settle near a river again?

Lord Herman
2009-06-25, 04:44 AM
Fun, of course. Although a river can provide a lot of Fun, too, by flooding your entire fortress.

Greep
2009-06-25, 05:07 AM
Why didn't we settle near a river again?

It's got water, just no river. I wasn't totally crazy about making it challenging.

TheSummoner
2009-06-25, 09:18 AM
Yeah, there are plenty of murky pools, and the rain seems high enough (I'm assuming a hot area though, because the a smaller pool evaporated...) But making a cistern would be difficult...

Wraith
2009-06-25, 06:01 PM
I apologise if I'm breaking away from the format of the thread, but this seemed like te best place to get an experts' opinion :smalltongue:

DwarF Fortress is my kind of game - open ended, self contained and completely stuffed to the gills with madcap-insane options for lunacy and carnage :smallbiggrin:

It is, however, pretty daunting to a newbie (read: Me). Would anyone care to offer any tips for getting started, short of memorizing the instruction manual first? I'd really like to join in with this little adenture, but I think we'd all apprecate it if I knew where to begin, rather than just pliughed on, hacking away at simple commands until *something* happened :smallsmile:

Nano
2009-06-25, 06:23 PM
I apologise if I'm breaking away from the format of the thread, but this seemed like te best place to get an experts' opinion :smalltongue:

DwarF Fortress is my kind of game - open ended, self contained and completely stuffed to the gills with madcap-insane options for lunacy and carnage :smallbiggrin:

It is, however, pretty daunting to a newbie (read: Me). Would anyone care to offer any tips for getting started, short of memorizing the instruction manual first? I'd really like to join in with this little adenture, but I think we'd all apprecate it if I knew where to begin, rather than just pliughed on, hacking away at simple commands until *something* happened :smallsmile:

Well, firstly, this thread was created to house a succession game - There's a general DF thread over yonder (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113383). Secondly, you will - and since it's important, I'm going to repeat this in all caps - You WILL need the wiki. Specifically, for your first fortress, the, uh, 'Your First Fortress' (http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Your_first_fortress) section.

Wraith
2009-06-25, 07:27 PM
Thank you, Nano. My apologies for mixing up threads - I'll be sure to look harder for the existing ones next time :smallredface:

TheSummoner
2009-06-25, 11:16 PM
Finished my turn. I'll upload it tomorrow or just email it to the next in line if he PMs me his email address (I would prefer doing it this way).

CRITICAL NOTE: The finger needs one final link done. The bottom right pressure plate needs to be linked to the southmost bridge... I ran out of mechanisms... Every other bridge is either already linked, or set to be linked when the mechanics get around to it. The lever on the left toggles the bridges... so you could manually trigger it if you wanted, or use it to reset the trap. The right lever does nothing yet. Link it to the spike traps when/if you make them... you'll need alot, its a pretty damn big room.

A few Z levels down is the bottom of the trap. It is currently open to the rest of the fortress (I have dwarves smoothing it out down there). its ready to be used, make sure to pull the lever near the exit to seal it off (via bridge thingy)

Military consists of 5 champions. They're all legendary wrestlers and quite good with axes, shields, and armor... enough to take down elephants without help. (I had trouble making them work together for some reason). There are also 8 more in a marksman squad, but they're nowhere near trained enough to be used (atleast by me, its up to you if you wanna throw their lives away). I didn't finish the new barracks (or even start it) but the archery range is near the depot, right behind the finger.

Its kinda messy, and the workshop rooms are pathetically small (not large enough to fit more than a single workshop in there as is), but that was done before my turn so you'll have to either deal with it or work around it. Good luck.

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-25, 11:46 PM
Hmm. I'm tempted to make those spikes for the pit just out of iron. We have enough for that?

TheSummoner
2009-06-26, 12:10 AM
Probably... though not making steel would just be lazy =P

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-26, 12:15 AM
I suppose that's true. I'm just not really used to my fortresses having enough access to iron ore to make steel. Usually go with iron for that reason.

AgentPaper
2009-06-26, 12:23 AM
I'd love to be added to the list of potential mad scient...er, fortress managers.

Also, I saw Lord Herman posted a screenshot of the fortress, and instead of the incredibly ugly (if moderately functional) colored characters, you seem to have gotten some kind of sprite map working. I had looked into this a bit before, but had heard that all the ones being worked on were always behind in the updates and buggy. Could you direct me to where I could get the one you're using?

TheSummoner
2009-06-26, 12:23 AM
This one has PLENTY of Iron, Flux, and Wood to make steel out of though.

And even if you cant fill the entire room, theres always the option of melting down goblin gear to fill in the empty spots. (emailing it now)

Edit: Also, the field is still fairly littered with goblin gear...

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-26, 12:31 AM
I'd love to be added to the list of potential mad scient...er, fortress managers.

Also, I saw Lord Herman posted a screenshot of the fortress, and instead of the incredibly ugly (if moderately functional) colored characters, you seem to have gotten some kind of sprite map working. I had looked into this a bit before, but had heard that all the ones being worked on were always behind in the updates and buggy. Could you direct me to where I could get the one you're using?

Here. (http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php) It's actually the whole game, with the tileset built in. But that's even better, because there's no fiddling about with installing anything and the saves from both versions are compatible with each other.

TheSummoner
2009-06-26, 02:54 PM
So... you DID get it, right?

AgentPaper
2009-06-26, 03:19 PM
Here. (http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php) It's actually the whole game, with the tileset built in. But that's even better, because there's no fiddling about with installing anything and the saves from both versions are compatible with each other.

Awesome. Moved my new fortress over, and I don't think I'll be able to switch back. :smalltongue: The biggest improvement is that now the square tiles are actually square, instead of rectangles. :smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-26, 03:27 PM
The tiles are actually square!

:smalleek: I NEED! Now my blueprints drawn on graph paper will actually look the same as in the game!

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-26, 05:09 PM
Yep, I got it. I'm working on my turn now.

TheSummoner
2009-06-26, 05:17 PM
Mmmkay, good.

As for the tilesets... I like that one, but I cant get it to work in windowed mode so I just use the normal tiles...

AgentPaper
2009-06-26, 06:35 PM
Huh, works perfectly for me in windowed, haven't even tried it in fullscreen yet.

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-26, 07:06 PM
I'll be writing this from the perspective of an Engraver. I've named him Chisel.

18th Obsidian, Year 6
This morning I was approached by some crazy noble. Apparently he had taken a dislike to me, and wanted me to go off into the middle of nowhere and take ownership of a recently established fortress. I suspect he was angry that none of my recent engravings had featured him. Or that I had covered his room with pictures of cheese as a practical joke. I may never know.

1st Granite, Year 7
I've arrived in my new home. I had to run all the way here, practically. Hardly had time to pack. I was all set to sit down with a nice -plump helmet roast-, but apparently they 'don't do any of that "farming" thing here.' I'm not sure whether I should commend them on their dwarvishness or hit them upside the head. I have also discovered the regrettable lack of a well of any sort here. The poor saps have been marching through the colossal entry hall (who built that thing? It's huge!) and back to get water for their injured friends. It's no secret who injured them, either. I had to dodge a herd of elephants on my way in. I can see them if I stand at the entrance. Waiting. Watching.

I'll not have any dwarves needing to walk past those malevolent grey beasts to fetch water from outside. First thing I do, I'm building a cistern.

14th Granite, Year 7
Approached by a fellow called Dormar Ironblood today. One of the local champions in the military. He stuffed a bunch of schematics into my hand, whispered something about a Finger of Armok and how he wished it could have been him that finished it, then ran off again. I've looked over it. Apparently he was the last ruler of this place, and was responsible for the giant entry hall. These schematics call for the entire bottom floor of the hall to be covered in spikes. Production has begun on endless numbers of steel spikes, and I've ordered construction of a second mechanic's shop. We're going to need mechanisms. Lots and lots of mechanisms....

23rd Granite, Year 7
Merchants arrived. Blasted elves. I've no doubt they brought those goblins with them. We had three seperate ambushes, and four thieves. Luckily the didn't get away with anything, and Dormar and his champions saw most of them off, but not before they got Roasty, a herbalist. In other news, my record keeper informs me that our store of iron bars has increased dramatically. I've told Barrel to give the elves some trinkets in exchange for a few necessities while I continue the plans for our traps and cistern. Which has finally been dug out, by the way. Lazy miners. It only took them three weeks.

14th Slate, Year 7
Today I was handed an order to cease and desist all export of green glass, signed by Bash. We don't have any green glass, and we can't make any as far as I know, so I'm just going to toss this one down the shaft for the well and hope it quietly goes away. Oh, and I drew some pictures of the fort as it is now. Not much has changed since I got here, but I felt I should record it for the history books. I am an engraver, after all.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/Dwarf%20Fortress/Whispermansions-15-region17-7-5009.jpg
The Ground Level. All those trees are slated to be clearcut. The Elves won't be happy, but forget 'em. Pointy-earred tree huggers only good for bringing weird berries and bins full of cloth....

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/Dwarf%20Fortress/Whispermansions-12-region17-7-5009.jpg
The fortress proper, with all its workshops and living quarters. Also visible: Ridiculously big entry hall. Properly Dwarven, that.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/Dwarf%20Fortress/DiningHall.png
The Dining hall, with it's new well and what will be a lever to control the floodgate into the cistern. Won't do to have our well overflow in rainy season...

8th Felsite, Year 7
I've noticed something. It came about earlier, when I was checking to ensure that everything was going smoothly on the cistern project. We have a lamentable lack of burial facilities for the deceased. Poor Roasty had been left outside, exposed to the elements. What others have met such fates? A quick check of the stocks was enough to reveal the answer: All of them. Every Dwarf lost since a Miner named Grunt died in the early years of the fortress has been left Armok only knows where. This will have to change.

4th Malachite, Year 7
Midsummer has arrived. The cistern is nearly complete, with the only thing left to do being to link up one final floodgate and seal off the stairways that were used in its construction. A great hall of the dead has been carved out and is being filled with coffins to hold the remains of our fallen. No more will the deceased be left to rot where they fall. In addition, we've recieved words from the mountainhomes that there will be no migrants this season. Something about being too nervous. I blame the elephants and goblins.

24th Malachite, Year 7
One of our mechanics just walked off the job today, muttering something and glancing furtively about. He's locked himself in a workshop with a single chunk of rock and is glaring at anyone who happens to look in on him. If he makes a mechanism, I'm going to have to figure out someplace that needs to have a really expensive well installed. Oh, and I told the cook to start baking seed biscuits or something to see if we can get rid of some of the stupid number of them we have lying around. Hey, can't use them for farming...

27th Malachite, Year 7
That mechanic finished. Sure enough, it's a mechanism. At least he's really good at his job now. Claims working on that thing gave him some sort of insight into being a mechanic. As long as that means he'll work faster now, I'm happy.

1st Limestone, Year 7
It's officially Autumn now. The cistern is finished, and the burial chambers are completed. A bunch of my fellow engravers were complaining that there was nothing to do, so we all went and engraved the dining hall. It needed some decorating anyways.

9th Sandstone, Year 7
Disaster has struck. Goblins ambushed some of our Dwarves outside. They were all chased and destroyed, but we lost good Dwarves today. Four have fallen. Bronze, the weaponsmith, Tinker, the mechanic, and a Butcher and a Glassmaker who hadn't been given nicknames yet. May they rest in peace.

11th Timber, Year 7
The mayor told me he wanted something made out of black bronze. I told him we didn't have any. He said I should find some. I told him the caravans were already gone and our miners couldn't just produce metals on demand. He told me to think of something, and left my office.

Bloody nobles.

2nd Moonstone, Year 7
Noticed there was a pile of skulls and fat building up in the butcher shop. Told the kitchen staff to render the fat, junked the skulls. Hopefully we'll be better able to kill food animals and such now that the butcher doesn't have to wade around in a pile of entrails whenever he wants to use his shop. Still no migrants. I think they're afraid, and we need some more dwarfs to take up the workload. I've started engraving every surface I can find. Our halls will be the stuff of legend, drawing in extra hands. Maybe then some of these poor overworked saps can get a bit of rest. Oh, and one of them made this wooden scepter thing. Kept going on about how it 'menaced with spikes of mahogany.' Useless elf-trinket, that.

17th Moonstone, Year 7
Had another couple ambushes today. Dormar and the lads saw them off, no casualties on our side. In other news, a snatcher got past our traps somehow on the way in. Tried to escape, ran into the entrance hall. That didn't go so well for him. I sent a marksdwarf down the the first level to finish him off. I can't help but smile every time I see his look of surprise at the bridge vanishing beneath him.

1st Granite, Year 8
Where does the time go? One day I'm testing an ingenious new room I made for killing all those pesky excess animals we have around, as per this old note I found labeled 'somebody else's problem', the next it's spring and that idiot mayor is complaining about having me removed and how he still didn't get that black bronze thing he wanted. Well nuts to him. I've left a few sketches for the next poor sap to run this place detailing how the traps I've put in work. Now, if you'll excuse me, I know another noble who needs his room covered with pictures of cheese....

TheSummoner
2009-06-27, 12:04 AM
Yeah... cistern/well... I should've done that... I reccomend not making it very deep and having it feed from one of the larger murky pools...

Good luck ^_^ (and I'm glad Chisel enjoyed my entrance hall)

Lord Herman
2009-06-27, 04:51 AM
Destro, could you give us a screenshot of the fortress in its current state?

banthesun
2009-06-27, 08:18 AM
Love the line about cheese, but paying too much attention to the elephants is just asking to go the same way as boatmurdered

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-27, 04:14 PM
Love the line about cheese, but paying too much attention to the elephants is just asking to go the same way as boatmurdered

Heh. I'm just trying to improve efficiency. The elephants seemed like an amusing tip of the hat and a good dorfish excuse at the same time. Glad you liked the cheese line, though. Also, Herman? I'll have some screenshots for you shortly.

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-29, 01:56 AM
I've updated the log. Not too much interesting is happening, though I am unsure as to whether or not I'll be able to complete the Finger. As awesome as the huge entry hall is, I wish you could have made it a little bit smaller....

TheSummoner
2009-06-29, 07:16 AM
Heh, its not meant to be a main priority. Kinda a set it and forget it type thing, atleast until the materials to complete it are all there =P.

Even without the spikes in place, its a decent defence... it just isn't lethal in itself.

Lord Herman
2009-07-03, 04:11 PM
How are things going with the fortress?

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-03, 07:48 PM
I haven't had much time to play lately, but I have found some. Another update will be up shortly.

kell the brute
2009-07-05, 03:33 AM
Dude, just read about the finger. If that thing isn't complete when I come into office, I will spend plenty time on it. Well, that and my tomb (four statues, all walls and floors engraved, deathtrap(room designed so its touching nothing but a hatch cover to get in above pit. add a pressure plate, and the whole room falls so even if they live, they will die of hunger/thirst, trapped in a tomb:smallbiggrin:)).

edit: I just realised I don't know what version of DF I'm running:smalleek:. since none of my forts are that good, I could probably use that link and just download again.
edit edit: unless the save runs fine of course.

Greep
2009-07-07, 02:53 AM
Well you've only got a few days before two weeks is up, so don't wait too long :) Btw, do we have our next guinea pig lined up?

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-07, 05:03 AM
I'll probably finish it either today or tomorrow. I've been playing in chunks, and I think I'm almost to winter. Thankfully I haven't managed to cause the whole thing to disintegrate, so we should be fine. Once Spring comes, I'll pass it on to whoever is next in line.

TheSummoner
2009-07-07, 02:06 PM
Heh, I bet those axedwarves I trained up tore through any goblins who attacked.

kell the brute
2009-07-07, 06:52 PM
I just thought of a simpler trap for my tomb: atom smasher. oh, and I'm next up.

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-08, 02:55 AM
and that's that. If you'd kindly PM me your e-mail, I'll get you a zip file of the fortress as it stands. Good luck!

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-08, 06:39 PM
It's been sent. Did you get it alright?

kell the brute
2009-07-09, 12:02 AM
yeah, I got the fort. heres a sneak preview: ELVES SUCK!

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-09, 06:10 AM
Yes, they do. They failed to bring me anything useful, the pointy eared varmints, and I have no doubt that this tradition will continue.

Greep
2009-07-10, 04:34 PM
yeah, I got the fort. heres a sneak preview: ELVES SUCK!

Best quote ever:

The critical question is this: do dead elf bones yield more crossbow bolts than the average number of bolts necessary to kill an elf?

TheSummoner
2009-07-10, 09:20 PM
Considering you have 5 legendary axedwarves (probably more by now... I'm sure some of the marksmen have become pretty good by now), yes. Yes they do.

kell the brute
2009-07-11, 10:53 PM
okay you know what, I think this thing will drive me mad. Just send the save to the guy after me. :smallfurious:I QUIT:smallfurious:

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-11, 11:54 PM
okaaay...

what happened, exactly?

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-13, 11:35 AM
Is there any room left for one more in this Succession Game?

Lord Herman
2009-07-13, 12:11 PM
I've added Connor Darkdart to the list, and removed kell the brute. Does ZeroNumerous have the save yet?

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-13, 12:38 PM
Thanks for adding me. As way of mention, what have the previous rulers done so far to overcome the aformentioned laws against farming and all that?

kell the brute
2009-07-13, 06:44 PM
I quit because not only have I quit this fort. I've quit all my forts. I just stoped liking this delve into enternal maddness game. It just isn't fun anymore. so I quit.

PS: destro yursel, just send the save you gave me to the guy after me.

TheSummoner
2009-07-13, 07:42 PM
@Connor: Personally, I set about 3 dwarves to plant gathering and by the time my rule was over, there was still ALOT of plants to be picked. It sustained us, but it wouldn't build a surplus... not alone anyways.

However, during my year, I also trained 5 champions, legendary in both wrestling and axe wielding (or damn close), as well as quite skilled with armor and shield. It generally takes them a while to do so, but each one of them can take down an elephant singlehandedly and without anything worse than a light gray injury, giving ALOT of food and bones (for bolts). I also started training (like 10ish) marksmen, although they didnt get too far by the end of my year. Once they reach legendary, they should be much better against elephants (piercing weapons like crossbow bolts are better against large creatures like elephants than high damage but low chance to hit organs weapons like axes).

Oh, and I did a little fishing too... not much since we lack a river, but a little...

So yeah, I did alot of gathering and hunting (always use military, not dwarves with the labor enabled). You can also trade for food. Keep in mind that trade and gathering will be your ONLY sources of alcohol.

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-13, 10:28 PM
at this point we've got about five metric craptons of food. Especially once I started cooking seed biscuits. Anyways, I've sent ZeroNumerous a PM asking for his email so I can send him the save. Good times.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-14, 03:59 AM
Eh. I recently came into possession of L4D. If it all possible I'd like to move my turn a week back so I can finish this game first. If no one else is behind me then I'll go ahead and take over now.

Lord Herman
2009-07-14, 04:29 AM
Alright, I've switched you with AgentPaper.

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-14, 04:34 AM
Eh. I recently came into possession of L4D. If it all possible I'd like to move my turn a week back so I can finish this game first. If no one else is behind me then I'll go ahead and take over now.

Off topic: Whats your Steam ID? Mines Conot

On topic: Ive been experimenting a bit with doing food that way and hopefully I won't have to do too much of it while im in power. I look forward to the next journal entry.

kell the brute
2009-07-14, 06:44 AM
off topic: mines =L4DA=scottsman. I love left 4 dead.:smallbiggrin:

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-14, 07:03 AM
Off topic: Whats your Steam ID? Mines Conot

It's a secret. I don't like people hearing my voice. :smalltongue:

I'll be sure to yell at you if I see you though.

AgentPaper
2009-07-14, 04:27 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting to get the fort for another week or something, heh. Anyways, I'll start on it as soon as I receive it, and should be done over the next few days.

Who had the fort before me? Any chance I could get a run-down on any goings-on?

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-15, 01:12 AM
Well, we did have two people either quit or request a different place on Ze List, so it's earlier than it would have been. I had the fort before you, and as it stands we're doing alright for food, but running low on labour. Start making expensive stuff and pray for immigration.

Oh, and the entire bottom level of that huge entry hall is to be covered in steel floor spikes and linked to a lever. It's our siege deterrent.

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-15, 02:00 AM
If we have one thats fine, but may I reccomend otherwise that we get a engraver pronto? Nobles like engravings and smooth walls and smoothing really helps increase the value of the fort.

TheSummoner
2009-07-15, 03:27 AM
Not that it particularly matters to me (since my turn is over), but only idiots engrave before legendary skill. Smoothing is fine, but to get the maximum value out of your rooms, you want a legendary engraver chruning out masterpiece engravings.

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-15, 03:38 AM
Not that it particularly matters to me (since my turn is over), but only idiots engrave before legendary skill. Smoothing is fine, but to get the maximum value out of your rooms, you want a legendary engraver chruning out masterpiece engravings.

Thats what I meant, even simple smoothing can take a room from meager to modest. I agree with the rest of that sentence.

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-15, 04:06 AM
Too late. My bad. :smallredface:

Of course, I don't believe I had any noble rooms or whatnot engraved yet. It was mostly the workshop rooms and a bunch of other things.

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-15, 04:36 AM
Thats fine. Engraving are good for morale but really they're best when legendary and in a noble's room, so no harm done. Sometimes when I do less serious fortresess I engrave randomly just to see what is engraved.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-15, 04:41 AM
Of course, I don't believe I had any noble rooms or whatnot engraved yet. It was mostly the workshop rooms and a bunch of other things.

That's how you buff engraving. Smooth the entire fort and engrave places that don't matter(non-residential hallways, workshops, your strip mining area) until Legendary.

Greep
2009-07-15, 02:10 PM
That's how you buff engraving. Smooth the entire fort and engrave places that don't matter(non-residential hallways, workshops, your strip mining area) until Legendary.

I usually do it by smoothing the whole fortress and then the exploratory mining until the engraver's been legendary for over a season, so he's near +5.

AgentPaper
2009-07-17, 02:30 AM
Damnit, thought I'd have this wrapped up in a few days, but now I'm gone all tomorrow and Saturday, and busy probably all of Sunday. I should have plenty of time on Monday to do my year, though. :smallsigh:

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-17, 03:20 AM
Fair nuff bro, you just have to get it done, thats all we ask.

My year is probably gonna be really short.

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-19, 08:58 AM
Double post of reminder!

Also, I am hoping the next diary is descriptive of actions taken by individual dwarves (and how many dwarves there are at the start of the year/end of the year)

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-22, 12:08 PM
You still have 6 days left, but could you tell us whether your doing the turn, cried yourself to sleep, ruthlessly murdering innocents from insanity, or whatever it is your doing?

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-22, 12:22 PM
Aye. I'd hate to see this die, after all the trouble I went to to get the dang save file to someone who would actually do the turn. :smalltongue:

TheSummoner
2009-07-22, 12:26 PM
Indeed... Dormar demands goblin blood!

Terror_Incognito
2009-07-23, 06:24 AM
I'd like to sign up. Every fortress I've played has been a dismal and unFun failure. I'd like to see a functioning fort.

As for no farming, I've never been able to figure that out so I'm sweet.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-23, 03:32 PM
Aye. I'd hate to see this die, after all the trouble I went to to get the dang save file to someone who would actually do the turn. :smalltongue:

Well I'm just waiting on the save file now.. I hope AgentPaper sends it.

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-24, 11:49 AM
3 days remaining and counting. *sigh* If this does die, who would like to set up a new Succession Game?

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-24, 09:17 PM
3 days remaining and counting. *sigh* If this does die, who would like to set up a new Succession Game?

Eh. Rather than let it die, wouldn't it be better to rollback to the save Destro has and go from there?

Otherwise, I'd be up for another succession game.

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-25, 02:41 AM
Eh. Rather than let it die, wouldn't it be better to rollback to the save Destro has and go from there?

Otherwise, I'd be up for another succession game.

Well sure, seeing as AgentPaper has been active on the forums but not posting here, I think we will take it as affirmation that he is no longer interested in playing or does not have the time to play.

Therefore if DestroYersul could get the save to ZeroNumerus we could carry on.

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-25, 04:43 AM
Alrighty. Just lemme find the darn thing.

Editties: I've sent it. It should be noted that DorfEx is not liable for any damage your package should receive in transit, nor is it liable if the delivery dorf is ambushed and eaten by carp.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-25, 11:17 PM
1st Granite

I've taken over ruleship of this crapshack. After my third meal for the day I sat down and took a long, hard look at the lay out of this place.. Then some idiot up and dies of thirst. 'Burner'. He seemed to be some sort of woodburner. Three seconds later a hunter dies of thirst. Now my interest is piqued. These were no random murders..

11th Granite

HA! The hunter was a no-name. Utterly alien to town and unknown to everybody.. Something.. Something was going on. I checked up on her room.. And yes. Someone had purposefully broken the lock on her door. Checking the register showed she was no longer logged as owning that room. I think someone is covering up something..

13th Granite

A SNATCHER! He was 'spotted' by Stinky the fisherdwarf. When I write 'spotted' I mean he conveniently saw the goblin just outside the fort. He just so 'happened' to stumble across it's hiding place.. I'm watching Stinky now, diary. I'm watching him from now on. Watching him closely.

16th Granite

Another death: 'Smokey'. And yet again, no one knew him. Same MO as last time. Broken lock, wiped register. Someone was getting rid of the 'undesirables' of our little crapshack. Bah. I'm too sober for this. S'only a matter of time until he strikes again, but there's no way of knowing who's doing it..

17th Granite

Bah. Elves. Another snatcher showed up. Got smeared by the guards, but he was actually inside the fort's bridge that time. Someone's getting them closer and closer. I fear one of the children saw something he shouldn't have..

18th Granite

Another damn snatcher! I'm starting to hope my investigations are getting closer, but I'm a realist. The criminal is just getting bored or antsy. Someone is coordinating these snatchers with convenient deaths to keep the guard busy, and it has to be someone inside the fort proper. I'll have Shiny ransack a few shops tomorrow morning and see if anyone's been trading away items to goblins.

19th Granite

An ambush. Four of them got a horse wandering around outside the fort. We were lucky it was just an animal rather than a dwarf who got caught. Whomever is buying these goblins seems to have forgotten how stupid they are. I just hope this screw up was my fault rather than impatience..

21st Granite

Ugh.. Yet again, a snatcher. I'm starting to think I won't write about these anymore. Shiny didn't bring up any craftsmen with missing materials.. Damn crooks are getting far too smart. Ah well, time to take a swig from my water flask and look out the window all hard-boiled like.

22nd Granite

Two goblin ambushes in a row claimed two dwarves. A fish cleaner and a marksman. Things stopped being a problem when the champions showed up though. Ten dead goblin corpses are now littering the entrance and I'm back to finding the traitor..

5th Slate

Migrants! Lazy *******s.

2nd Hematite

After a long stretch of mind-numbing reports and utter ridiculousness.. I decided to just say "screw it" and go working to take my mind off my trouble. I made three separate masterpieces in the space of an hour, one right after the other. Another one turned up dead today as well. 'Smelly' the woodcrafter. I've ordered all doors removed from the fortress before the Door Knocker strikes again. Incidentally, the populace has taken to calling me "PI Mech".

3rd Hematite

All three engravers carved a masterpiece. 'Shiny' has been making a lot of dwarves surrounded by other dwarves.. He might have something to hide.

17th Hematite

Human caravan. Maybe they'll have something nice.

21st Hematite

Another ambush. Claimed the life of poor Unib Legonsarvesh, AKA: The Dwarf No One Cared About. I'm really starting to suspect whomever is leading these ambushes and snatcher attempts is simply eating away at the stability of our fortress..

22nd Hematite

Another ambush! This time a fisherman is dead and one of the marksmen got an arrow in the throat.. I have to find the traitor!

7th Malachite

Suspecting Shiny I've reinstalled his door and locked it. I won't let him out until I'm sure it was him. My secretary has questioned how I'm intending to prove that he did it when all the other doors are non-functional, but she's just crazy and trying to stop dwarven justice.

12th Malachite

Apparently enforcing DWARVEN JUSTICE! has driven our weaver insane. He is being rended limb to limb as we speak. I will be damned if a foolish weaver will stand in my way!

18th Malachite

No one died while Shiny was locked up. So I guess he isn't the Door Knocker. But I swear I'll have him killed if more person turns up dead.

TheSummoner
2009-07-25, 11:22 PM
Odd... we have plenty of stagnant water, and apparently a well was built, so even if booze went short then...

Were those the perma-cripples? ^_^

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-25, 11:24 PM
Odd... we have plenty of stagnant water, and apparently a well was built, so even if booze went short then...

Injured dwarves only drink water, I think. And yes, their doors were forbidden.

TheSummoner
2009-07-26, 12:32 AM
As good a way as any to kill them off

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-26, 04:12 AM
Those were the perma-cripples. I got tired of useful dwarves spending time to take them water when they'll never recover. So I cunningly locked their doors right before my turn ended, so as to let the next overseer have a bit of a mystery on their hands.

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-26, 06:03 AM
Oh that is cunning. I don't mean locking the doors but leaving the next overseer a suprise like that xD.

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-27, 05:27 AM
Thank you. I do try. *bows*

Mostly I just wanted to see how the next overseer would handle it. I like the paranoid angle, Zero. With the way this game usually goes the idea of a paranoid overseer is incredibly amusing.

Connor Darkdart
2009-07-27, 08:11 AM
Just wait... Just wait...

Inatentive overseer anyone?

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-27, 06:48 PM
Totally utterly forgot to play today. I'll update tomorrow.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-28, 06:33 PM
Made a few updates. Will do more stuff later.

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-28, 07:00 PM
I've ordered all doors removed from the fortress before the Door Knocker strikes again. Incidentally, the populace has taken to calling me "PI Mech".

This made me actually laugh out loud. Brilliant.

TheSummoner
2009-07-28, 07:59 PM
I gotta ask... Destro, Zero, how well is the finger working? Is it keeping the goblins at bay?

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-28, 08:47 PM
I gotta ask... Destro, Zero, how well is the finger working? Is it keeping the goblins at bay?

Haven't had any actually attack. Just ambushes and snatchers, the first of which never see the finger and the second of which ignore traps.

TheSummoner
2009-07-29, 12:40 AM
Hmm... so I take it my axe squad is doing their job?

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-29, 01:00 AM
Hmm... so I take it my axe squad is doing their job?

When I remember to scramble them. Usually I just let snatchers get away.

TheSummoner
2009-07-29, 10:45 AM
Meh, snatchers are harmless provided your meeting area has enough traffic... If you can't spot them before they capture a minidwarf, you're doing something wrong...

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-29, 07:25 PM
Meh, snatchers are harmless provided your meeting area has enough traffic.

Exactly why I don't bother chasing them. The Fort design ensures they never get further than the bridge.

EDIT: Threw up some stuff.

EDIT#2: I'm probably gonna end up walling myself in somewhere.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-31, 04:21 AM
Utterly forgot to do anything today. Will rectify when conscious

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-31, 11:08 AM
This is just great. I love it. My little joke has spiraled into a paranoid supervisor who locks dwarves up under suspicion of homicide. :smallbiggrin:

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-31, 07:44 PM
Eh. Sort of bored of DF right now. Added a couple of entries but they're starting to suck.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-04, 08:37 AM
So uh.. Wow.

It's now the 23rd of Galena and.. Nothing has happened. At all. I've gotten so bored I'm making Platinum Statues and updating the entrance hall.

Destro_Yersul
2009-08-04, 02:24 PM
Wow. Even I had some attacks and whatnot. Guess you just hit a bad year, or something.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-04, 02:44 PM
I haven't even had snatchers or an ambush lately.

TheSummoner
2009-08-04, 06:49 PM
Yay entrance hall!

How are the death spikes coming? Its a daunting task, but one that makes goblin killing that much easier... gather em up and impale em!

Destro_Yersul
2009-08-04, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I'd love to hear how the spikes are working. Give us a progress report on that?

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-05, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I'd love to hear how the spikes are working. Give us a progress report on that?

I totally forgot to work on them. We have craploads of spikes, but I haven't set any up.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-06, 05:26 AM
So I'm done. I completely, utterly lost anything to talk about(seriously, everything just completely stopped happening. Late summer to Spring again and not even an ambush).

Got it set up and ready to send to whomever's next in line.

Bucky
2009-08-06, 11:53 AM
Apparently, you intimidated whichever dwarf was behind the snatchers into keeping their head down.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-06, 12:34 PM
I trudged through the year, but really. Nothing note worthy happened. We got two visits from caravans(human and dwarf) and that was it. The only migrants who arrived were the ones I had already covered, though I did set out rooms for a lot more later since I've now engraved craploads of things.

Connor Darkdart
2009-08-06, 02:01 PM
That would be me next in line. Hopefully I won't screw up xD I'll try to get the turn done in the next day or two.
No, Seriously!

TheSummoner
2009-08-06, 02:53 PM
Remember the spikes Connor... Armok demands his most expressive finger deal death to all goblins!

banthesun
2009-08-06, 07:40 PM
I was under the impression that falling on spikes doesn't deal extra damage. :smallconfused:

Destro_Yersul
2009-08-06, 08:50 PM
Oh, it doesn't. The Extra damage is from trapping them down there and setting the spike lever on repeat. And watching them all die horrible painful deaths.

TheSummoner
2009-08-06, 09:44 PM
Indeed...

If it wasn't for all the pointless and fortress asthetic destroying exploratory mining, I would've dug the finger deep enough that the fall itself would be enough to kill them.

Still, the point of this game is mindless extravagance and convoluted killing machines, so it still works out...

And this way you can use the goblins down there for military training if you want.

Connor Darkdart
2009-08-07, 07:55 AM
Okay, Ive got it downloaded and will start playing in 3 or so hours. Also, I hope the pit that leads to the finger is based on an outside tile, last thing I need is miasma when trying to retrieve the corpses for slaughtering, or equipment for that matter.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-07, 08:08 AM
Okay, Ive got it downloaded and will start playing in 3 or so hours. Also, I hope the pit that leads to the finger is based on an outside tile, last thing I need is miasma when trying to retrieve the corpses for slaughtering, or equipment for that matter.

You could dig a vent, but there's no real need to. I also moved to enlarge the finger a little. You just have to channel out 3 spots and it'll add 3 Z-levels to the finger and make it a little more immediately lethal.

TheSummoner
2009-08-07, 01:00 PM
Pits? Are there glowing pits on this map? Cuz if so, I don't think the finger will do much more to demons than trap them... I once collapsed a goblin tower on one and he didn't get a single yellow wound, I somehow doubt falling a few Z levels will hurt them... Spikes might work though if someone finishes them... And you can always rain death from above with a squad of marksmen.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-07, 01:02 PM
I once collapsed a goblin tower on one and he didn't get a single yellow wound, I somehow doubt falling a few Z levels will hurt them.

Demons can be killed with collapsing stuff. I've done it with 15 z-levels of solid rock.

TheSummoner
2009-08-07, 10:32 PM
I'm sure they can, its just not a very effective or efficient method. The tower I collapsed was only like 3 or 4 z-levels and he was barely scratched.

Edit: But that doesn't change the fact that the finger doesn't drop tons of rock on them, it just drops them... I'd imagine falling would hurt alot less than falling and being killed by debris...

And once again, does the map even have glowing pits? I was under the impression they only appeared in the mountains...

Destro_Yersul
2009-08-07, 10:57 PM
Yeah, mountains only. And since I don't think we're in one, I don't think we have any.

Tekren
2009-08-10, 10:04 AM
Good day. I would like to throw my hat into the potential leadership pool. Armok's Will be done.
Btw, I don't know about glowing pits, but spikes shooting up from the ground repeatedly would surely damage a demon in a normal pit.

Destro_Yersul
2009-08-11, 04:41 PM
We don't have any demons, so it's a bit of a moot point anyways. How're things going with the fort though, Mr. Darkdart? Think we could get some screenshots of anything you've done? Haven't had any for a while now.

Lord Herman
2009-08-22, 06:24 PM
*poke*

Does Connor still have the game? I'm guessing his two weeks are up, so he should probably send it to the next person in line.

The Bellmaker
2009-08-25, 03:41 PM
Sign me up for the Leadership pool, please!

Ahh, Dwarf Fortress...now, if I can only keep them alive without farming...

...Go FORTH, my cannibal Axedwarfs! Go forth and DEVOUR the Elves!

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-25, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a turn at it. Is it too late to sign up and get in the rotation?

TheSummoner
2009-08-25, 06:19 PM
I really doubt its too late... I just hope this is still going =/

Lord Herman
2009-08-26, 01:48 AM
I've poked Connor Darkdart about passing the game along.

Destro_Yersul
2009-08-27, 09:36 PM
Has he responded at all?

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-27, 09:37 PM
I think I still have my copy..

EDIT: Yes, indeed I do.

Lord Herman
2009-08-28, 02:42 AM
I've had no response from Connor. I think it's save to assume he's been eaten by carp. So let's just pass the game on to the next person in line. Which would be Terror Incognito. ZeroNumerous, could you send him the save?

Ilena
2009-09-02, 08:35 AM
*shakes head* so many good dwarves have been eaten by carp .... i think we should declare war .... but ya i would say i would like to sign up but ... most likely within a few months id have destroyed the entire fortress .... :P but if your willing to take that chance then im willing to try!

Destro_Yersul
2009-09-02, 09:31 AM
Excellent. We'll revert to Zero's save, then. Someone start poking whoever is next in line and/or Zero. This shall not die!

Tekren
2009-09-13, 08:34 PM
Has Terror Incognito responded in any way? If not, I would enjoy tackling Zero's save. If so, I hope to follow in Terror's footsteps.

... that sounds really cool out of context.

Lord Herman
2009-09-17, 03:15 PM
I'll poke ZeroNumerous to see if Terror Incognito received the save. If not, it'll go to the next person in line (which would be you, Tekren).

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-17, 03:30 PM
Terror did not respond, I sent my copy out again.

Tekren
2009-09-17, 05:54 PM
I thank you for the save. Will play and update as soon as possible. Not today, though, as I am going to see a pre-screen of zombieland.

Umm.... are there any features I should be aware of? Lava, underground river, chasm, anything?

Lord Herman
2009-09-18, 11:20 AM
I don't believe we have any of those. We do have loads of wild animals, though. There's a herd of elephants nearby, and the fortess occasionally gets raided by mandrills. Oh, and there are also giant tigers.

Dragonus45
2009-09-21, 10:16 AM
I hear this is the place to ask about dwarf murd imean fortress. Dwarf Fortress. Yea that one. I was wondering about taking a turn at the murder whe, turn rotation. What version are you guys using?

charl
2009-09-21, 10:31 AM
I would like to take the next free turn.

Lord Herman
2009-09-21, 10:31 AM
I've added you to the list. We're using the latest version of Dwarf Fortress, which is 40d, if I'm not mistaken. I myself use Mayday's graphics version.

Tekren, how's the game coming along? Have all the dorfs been eaten by giant tigers yet?

Edit: Also added Charl, who simu'd me.

Dragonus45
2009-09-21, 11:30 AM
Cool and thanks, thats the same version i use. How long does a turn usually take. Theres a good chance i might not be able to get back on until Friday.

Lord Herman
2009-09-21, 11:35 AM
Turns take one in-game year. People usually take a few days to a week to finish their turn.

Tekren
2009-09-21, 01:55 PM
I have been busy, but in the middle of summer. No tiger deaths yet, although someone killed the sheriff before they got arrested. Interesting times! Job interview, then I get back to it.

TheSummoner
2009-09-21, 02:56 PM
How is my champion axe squad faring? They all stiull alive? Have any joined their ranks?

Tekren
2009-09-21, 09:05 PM
1st Granite- Dear Diary, today I, a lonely Peasant have been unanimously voted into the position of Ruler of the dwarven village Iklistuthkat- Whispermansions in the common tongue. I am not sure how I was selected, as Gopher said “Any bleeding idiot would be better than that Paranoid Irritant, Mech!” I don't know what he is talking about- I haven’t cut myself shaving in months!
PI Mech gave up his command easily, determined to find his demons. Happy hunting! And by hunting, I mean ‘working in the Mechanics shop’
As my first act, I have ordered all doors to be put back on their hinges. I am tired of changing clothes with the door open.
Now, to do a quick tour and get my bearings- usually I just carry stuff from the workshop to the bin.

3rd Granite- Dear Diary, In trying to understand some of the more… unique aspects of my new village, I have come to understand that rule, and thus architectural styles, have varied greatly over the past few years. I shall have to work through that, I suppose.
We have many miners, but no dedicated Mason. Apparently half the fort dabbles, though. I’m not sure who ordered all the wood to be clear cut, but It’s only necessary to do bits at a time. Rotate the crops, people. Oh, that reminds me of my last observation, something that explains why we have so many hunters and no farmers- we don’t farm. My speculation is that the original ruler was offered an Elven meal. Freaking VEGANS.
At least our military seems sturdy. Very few cripples in the fort- just Tosid. Apparently his spine is damaged, may never walk again. Perfect recruit for the Royal Guard, if you ask me.

9th Granite- Dear Diary, in attempting to expand the depth of Armok’s Finger, A cave-in has occured. The depth shall no longer be changed, and plans are underway to spikify it.
…Dear Lord, the Dwarven Liaison just started talking to the Mayor. Didn’t he get here in the fall?

1st Slate- The elves have arrived. I shall send someone to ask of their no doubt hippy culinary delights, and trade them narrow socks for plants to brew into booze.

5th Slate- ‘Boney’ Muzishlor has gone all secretive. Hopefully we won’t have to put him down.
Also, elves apparently find eating meat acceptable, as long as it used to be sentient. Suddenly, Vegan food doesn’t sound so bad.

6th Slate- I checked. Vegan food IS that bad. Pass the kobold stew. Also, I have changed my mind. Work on deepening the finger progresses.

15th Slate- Boney has completed Mesrithlut- Creaturewaxes in the common tounge. It is a cave lobster small animal trap with an image of Cleaveknives the steel spike in it- so it is a trap made from a trapped cave lobster with a picture of a trap component. That is super dwarfy! If only we had a small animal trapper.

10th Felsite- Immigrants! Lower-Class, hard working, nigh-unskilled labor. There were 17 workers, 1 child, and a horse foal, which was strictly against the rules. I am looking at you, Imsih!
Oddly enough, we had a small animal trapper. Lets see what that artifact cage will do.

20th Felsite Belay that. Let the animal trapper join the ranks of our hauler army.

4th Hematite- While attempting to deliver dwarven justice for Gopher failing to make any bronze items (we have no Bronze, and Gopher is a miner… dwarven justice IS blind!) Gopher set up a cunning trap, caving in a different section of the finger and letting it fall on Cap, the Captain of the Gaurd. Cap may never walk again, and may therefore never beat up a dwarf again. I feel angered at the work order, confused at the randomness of punishments, shocked that Gopher would take out the captain of the guard with such brutality, and hopeful that Gopher will deal with any other enemies with such ruthless efficiency.

6th Hematite- Cap Died today. While it was technically a mining accident, I can’t help but think that perhaps our previous ruler was on to something. While I’m not about to start taking doors off their hinges, I’m going to talk to Mech.

10th Hematite- Humans have arrived. Hopefully they have awesome stuff to trade. Mech says not to trust them. We’ll see.

5th Malachite- Today was busy, Diary! Mandrill attack, and the humans had some nice stuff to trade. Hooray for Mandrill biscuits, boo for the collaborating Humans! We also received 11 more immigrants. They seemed worried about the danger, but then we explained our free burial plan. Somehow, that did not help.

23rd Malachite- Carver has been possessed, and claimed a workshop. I hope he makes a testament to Cap. He was loved by almost all, killed in the line of performing his duty…. We shall see.

6th Galena- I just noticed a paper under that had rolled under my desk that asked for permission for my workers to gather wood. No wonder our stockpile was empty! I immediately granted permitted, and 20 dwarves started marching towards the surface. Carver says he really need thread and shells, but not the ones we have. He says he needs Giant cave spider silk for Tithlethmor- whoever that is. I told him that if he needs them, go get some! He replied that ‘he absolutely detests cave spiders.’ Weird.

14th Limestone- Carver lost it. He couldn’t wait for the dwarven caravan to bring some silk spider thread and went stark raving mad, refusing to eat or drink. I call his clothes! Actually, wait, he’s filthy, and all his clothes are torn. Heck with that.

15th Limestone- Just as I expected, the dwarven traders come. Tithlethmor seriously couldn’t wait another day? JERK! Carver was a nice guy! I bet this Tithlethmor is the demon in charge of all the ‘day late, dollar short’ scenarios.

21st limestone- a Snatcher just bumped into a caravan guard. I’m told the trajectory of his head was beautiful, the sunlight illuminating a scarlet trail spouting from it’s severed jugular. Ah, to be a warrior… Hmph. Another bin to move. Mech tells me to expect more. Goblins, not bins. I think he’s a paranoid freak. No goblins have tried to assault us all year, why would they start now?

22nd Limestone- I hate it when I’m wrong. A group of goblins just ambushed a pet. While it’s nice to see the goblins help with our ‘no pets’ policy, I’m still sending out The Gloves(our archers) and The Apes(our axedwarves). DIE, GOBBOS!

26th Limestone- Final tally: Dwarves 20, Gobbos 1 cow calf. Now THAT is what I call a victory.

17th Sandstone- The last support is in place, the last connecting bit of rock carved away, and all dwarves evacuated from the levels being dropped. Now to pull the lever, which will deepen Armok’s finger three levels!

Well, umm… oops?
Turns out the resulting dust and debris from 3 floors of rock flew up onto the bridge, a z-level above and knocked six of our boys down the pit. Specifically, Boney, Hoppy the Brewer, two babies and two haulers took the plunge. They are dieing as I write this. No peasant should be responsible for designing death traps.

20th Limestone- No migrants came this season. Seems they were afraid of being dropped several stories into the harsh, unforgiving spiked floor below. I told them only two of the six dwarves dropped so far have died, they told me to put my beardless head up my backside. How rude!

26th Timber- Leatherface was out collecting wood, when his eyes suddenly lit up, and he started running for a workshop, muttering about something under his breath.. I really, really hope he doesn’t go crazy like Carver. Now that I think about it, shouldn’t a guy named Carver have gone berserk? Oh well, Time to build a leatherworks.

8th Moonstone- Leatherface made a groundhog cloak. A Nice Cloak, but a cloak. It hangs with rings of talc and menaces with spikes of tigereye. At least he will make really nice cloaks for everybody else now, too.

13th Moonstone- A Siege! Everyone indoors!
…. 14 units? And no archers? HAHAHAHAHAHA! This isn’t a siege, It’s calisthenics program for the apes! Into motion, you lugs!
Oh no, now is not the time for a sandwich, Dormar! DORMAR!!!! AHHH!!! OK, Gloves, you are up! Vabok, lead your Dwarves out ther... What do you mean, ‘out of arrows’? I ordered Boney to make tons of goblin bone arrows!
Boney has been laid up for months after the cave-in?
…oh no…
Don’t just wade in there with a –willow crossbow-, Vabok! NO! NOOO!!!…???
…huh. He’s pretty good at that. 14 gobbos, not a scratch on him yet. One down, another stunned… Ahh, back up. Watching arrows fly into melee is a wonderful sight, when they are your arrows. Oh, Dormar finished his sandwich? Yeah, I’ll get the clean up, guys. See you at the afterparty. The child Rakust Kelekim just started one up.

18th Moonstone- Everyone is allowed to go back outside now. Vabok is now officially a badass.

31st Obsidian- It is time for me to step down. It has been an eventful year, hopefully others will complete the spikes in the depths of Armok’s Finger and allow me to attempt to replace Boney’s place, at least until he is back on his feet. Armok’s will be done.

Lord Herman
2009-09-22, 06:02 AM
Awesome! I think Vabok deserves a custom name after that one. :smallbiggrin:

TheSummoner
2009-09-22, 08:17 AM
Heh, Dormar does enjoy his sammiches ^_^. I would've just given another axedwarf temporary command, but it looks like things worked out well anyways (and I love those nicknames... Gloves and Apes)

Lord Herman
2009-09-23, 10:40 AM
Has the Bellmaker received the save yet?

The Bellmaker
2009-09-23, 06:10 PM
I have, indeed. I'll be able to start soon-ish. Not today, not tomorrow, but very soon. Maybe at the Zendikar pre-release or something. A day or two to start, then it'll be quick.

Ilena
2009-09-25, 08:58 AM
What kind of hell will i be inheriting in a year or two .... hopefully i dont horribly destroy everything ... unlike some people we know! :P *taken from the epic that is Tekren's reign* " ... and dwarven blood ran freely through the halls .... broken bodies and shattered corpses lay buried under tons of rock ... " :P

Lord Herman
2009-09-25, 09:27 AM
Have we built any coffins? I've been building coffins for all my dead dwarves in my current fortress, and there've been hardly any tantrums at all. It seems giving your dwarves a proper burial, rather than just dumping them in a hole, really makes a difference to their friends.

TheSummoner
2009-09-25, 10:09 AM
I didn't bother with it... then again I don't think anyone died on my watch...

Or if any did, it was so few I didn't notice.

Tekren
2009-09-25, 09:53 PM
Hopefully i dont horribly destroy everything ... unlike some people we know! :P *taken from the epic that is Tekren's reign* " ... and dwarven blood ran freely through the halls .... broken bodies and shattered corpses lay buried under tons of rock ... " :P

HEY!

I will have you know only five people dwarves died during my reign.

Cap, the Captain of the Guard:smallfrown:
Hoppy, the only brewer:smalleek:
Urist McHauler:smallsigh:
Urist Mcbaby:smallsigh:
Crazy Carver

Except for the failed mood, all of these deaths were involved with the deepening of Armok's finger. Blood for the Blood God, indeed. I think he may have wanted it... Christened. Armoked? Armoked.

Edit- The graveyard has been significantly expanded.

Lord Herman
2009-09-27, 07:13 AM
Bellmaker, could you post a picture of what the fortress currently looks like? You can make a screenshot of any z-layer you want by pressing [esc] and selecting Export Local Image from the menu. Probably best to crop it and convert it to jpg or gif, as the game exports an uncompressed bmp file.

Destro_Yersul
2009-09-27, 07:20 AM
I think we have some coffins. I seem to remember making some, anyways. It was a while ago, though.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-09-27, 10:09 AM
I'm up next and I'll make sure that that sorta stuff gets taken care of.

The Bellmaker
2009-09-29, 08:05 PM
Gah, i'm sorry...Halfway through or so, but events have conspired.

I'll have to resign. Could someone pass the last save to the next person?

Lord Herman
2009-09-30, 02:53 AM
That means Tekren will have to send the save to ObadiahtheSlim.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-09-30, 07:45 AM
So is this vanilla or vanilla with the cat mouth fix or what?

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-30, 07:58 AM
Vanilla, I think.

Lord Herman
2009-09-30, 08:41 AM
I use the version that comes with Mayday's graphics pack; apart from the graphics tiles, it's 40d vanilla.

Tekren
2009-09-30, 05:25 PM
PMed ObadiahtheSlim-

PM me back if anything doesn't work.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-09-30, 08:10 PM
Well my turn at the game. Stay tuned for Mayhem, Mystery, and maybe even a bit of Murder.

1st of Granite, 10 year of the Age of Myths:
The king has sent me as an "advisor" to the fortress of Iklistmuthkat, or Whispermansions in the common tongue. I believe this is following an "unfortunate accident" a young noble had at the previous fort I had been administering. I had to leave everything behind, even my beloved pet Jaguar, Mr. Bojangles.

I really don't understand the whole accident. We caged up a titan and were gonna host a gladiatorial event with our Champion Sworddwarves. It wasn't my fault that someone just happened to release the Titan while the noble was removing a constructed wall right next to the titan.

The king should be overjoyed that our Sworddwarves were able to decapitate the menace. The king should be thanking me that there was only one causality in the entire incident. The fact that we had no Adamantine and the deceased noble had mandated construction of items of said material was merely a coincidence.

But that is neither here nor there. Already I can understand my posting. The mayor of this fortress is crazy. No farming! And no basic traps! I was hard pressed to find good stout Dwarven ale. All they had was that sweet human crap made from berries and that bitter stuff called sewer brew. At least the longland beer is decent. I can tell this is going to be a long year.

My first task was to assess our stockpiles. We had plenty of iron. Plenty of "booze." More than enough wood (I hope the elves are too angry. The last elves I had brought wonderful Sun-berries and a Jaguar). We won't run out of the basic provisions anytime soon.

I am also seeing the makings of an elaberate spike pit. Clearly an offering to the Blood God. I've not had experience with such a project however I belive I will be able to help it along. Perhaps I'll even build a little invention of my own. The Hammer of Armok.

However I am rattleing on and I have a captain of the guard asking me about his lodgings and I need to get a good head count. I'm seeing some very weak and flabby dwarves and I may have to do something about that.

3rd of Granite:
Mayor Besmar informs me of the strickly no domesticated animals rule. I didn't quite follow what he meant by that but he pointed out a pet horse that was brought in with what I assume is the previous wave of immigrants. I was a bit slow but slowly it dawned on me that he wanted me to provide for an "unfortunate accident" for that poor horse. One noble dies on your watch and suddenly it's the only thing people can talk about...

5th of Granite: I finally realized why it was so drafty in this fort. There is naught a drop of magma in these grounds. All furnaces are coal fired. However I am reassured that there is plenty of coal to last us and plenty of wood to burn. I guess this will be a learning experience for us all.
On a productive note, I am getting a bit done on development. I switched our stonecrafter to making mugs. The elves and humans enjoy such baubles and they have a much higher profit margin per dwarf hour spent making them. This seems to make the mayor happy, however he mentioned that pet horse again...

11th of Granite: The deed is done. The horse had a little accident. May the poor beast's blood be on the hands of Besmar.

14th of Granite: The elves have arrived. Although I scarecly see the point. Even if they brought another Jaugar with them it wouldn't matter. I wouldn't get to keep it. I really miss Mr. Bojangles, but alas, I will never see him again. I really need a drink. I stashed a bit of ale away but there is no way it will last till summer.

20th of Granite: I am hearing some rumors going around. It seems I'm not well loved. Perhaps that horse's accident will have some long reaching effects. I will have to watch my back often.

3rd of Slate: Expansion of the entrance to include a small guard tower has been put on hold. The king has decreed that these lands will become a county. I had a quick meeting with the new count. I could sense some tension in his voice and nervousness in his eyes. Perhaps because he has heard of me and he has expensive tastes. We shall see how this turns out.

27th of Felsite: Noble rooms are now being engraved. I had hoped this would get them to stop bothering me. Count Mebzuth pulled me aside to complain about the engravings. Apparently Dusty has been engraving flies in his dining room. Mebzuth detests flies. I reassured Mebzuth that I would take care of it, but he immediately told me to not worry about it. Then quickly made up an excuse to leave.
I'm not really sure what that was all about, but I'll have a chat with Dusty about antagonizing nobles. I'd hate for the Noble to have a grudge against our best engraver.

3rd of Hematite: The dwarven ale is gone. A few drops of rum remain. I never really got to drink much at my last posting. Most of it had been converted to syrup, but that is a luxury that this settlement can ill afford. This got me thinking about how long it had been since I last had a good +Dwarven Syrup Biscuit+. Just about everything here is various seed roasts. They start to grow on you after a while.

10th of Hematite: A human diplomat has arrived at our borders. No sign of a caravan. No doubt he is here to fawn on our Count. My bet is that some human town is breathing a sigh of relief to be free of a useless noble for a few week while I have one more making unreasonable export demands.

15th of Hematite: The human caravan has arrived. I had some McHaulers bring trade goods to the Trade Depot, but while doing so I overheard some vague threats. It's probably nothing. I'm just on edge since I haven't had a decent drink in a while. I mean just a minute ago I thought I saw Udib out of bed and he has some pretty busted up legs following an unfortunate accident.

19th of Hematite: Oak spotted a goblin ambush. The blighters didn't stand a chance against the Apes. While on my way to survey the damages, I spotted Udib passed on on the floor. I'm going to have to get to the bottom of this mystery, but I have more pressing issues. I've set the fort to high alert in case more goblins decide to show up.

27th of Hematite: I saw Udib in one of our Craftdwarf's Workshops. The guy looked absolutely possessed. He must have hit his head harder than I thought. A human guard reported to me that he dispatched a goblin child snatcher the other day. The military is still on alert in case of more ambush squads.

4th of Malachite: Zasit is missing. I fear goblins got him. His mom, one of the Marksdwarves doesn't seem too upset about it, but I coulda sworn she made some threatening statements behind my back. I am beginning to genuinely fear for my life. I appropriated a chain mail shirt to wear under my robes, but I doubt it will do much good to stop a crossbow bolt.

14th of Malachite: I tried to convince Udib to return to bed to rest, but he just kept babbling something about Rodimdasnast. I'm not sure what he means by that. I fear he may have lost it. He is in no shape to be working on stone crafts.

5th of Galena: The roof over the new guard tower is complete. It only now needs to be christened in blood of goblins foolish enough to attack us. I set up a stockpile of metal bolts in it so our Gloves don't have to go as far to restock in battle. I've also considered putting a small booze supply there too.
I am also happy to report that the pump farm has been completed. Time to pump *clap* these McHauler's up. It should build them up so they can work harder and maybe even enter a miltiray reserve program and stand a chance sparing against the likes of Angry Olan.

13th of Limestone: Fall has come. A child snatcher was caught by the Gloves the other day. I'm now convinced that the Gloves have it out for me. I saw the way one of the Marksdwarves knocked the goblin into a tree with her crossbow. She then pointed to me and said, "amazing how far you can punt something with one of these. "
On a positive note, Udib finished the project he was working on. He calls it in the common tongue, Wadesteppe. As soon as he finished he passed out again. I think this time I will have one of our Haulers take him back to his room. I swear that dwarf aint right. I'm almost afraid to see what he was like before that head injury of his.

15th of Limestone: The dwarven caravan has been spotted in the distance. Thank the gods. I think I can finally get a decent drink.

18th of Limestone: Astesh stopped working took over a workshop. He didn't seem quite right. I wonder if whatever got into Udib is spreading.

26th of Limestone: Ale! Glorious Ale! In my hurry to drink it I scarcely noticed that Astesh, now calling himself Shells, finished his project, Waspclasped the Peaceful Smoke, a turtle shell helm.

4th of Moonstone: Boney has mostly recovered. He still has some breathing difficulties, but he is ready to return to work. He and Shells take turns making bolts, idols, and shell crafts. I also walled off an area around a pond so our Fisherdwarves can fish in peace.

14th of Moonstone: I woke up this morning with a dead Jaugar on top of my cabinet. This is a warning. I had assumed the Gloves had gotten over their grudge against me, but I was wrong. I need to get out of here, but I don't know where I can turn to. If I abandon my post I'll be tried for treason and then Hammered, but if I stay here I'll get a bolt in the back of my head...

17th of Moonstone: The enemy is upon us! Scouts report 3 squads of goblins heading this way. I ordered all dwarves indoors. Time to see if that Armok's Finger is as good as I'm told it is.

24th of Moonstone: By Armok that was amazing. Two full squads of goblins totally wiped out. We woulda had the third one, but they decided to run away when they heard the cries of their comrades come from the entry way. The fall itself was only able to outright kill 2-3 goblins. About half were seriously maimed and the rest suffered only a broken bone or two. I did notice one weakness. The catwalk that has several statues can be used as a safe haven. Perhaps they should be removed so the goblins have only one way to go. Down.

27th of Moonstone: Olan had a brush with death. While chasing off some Elephants she fell into a murky pool. Through shear superdwarvenly toughness she managed to survive drowning long enough for a miner to come carve a ramp out. I was of course blamed for it. Now I have not only the Gloves after me, but I will need to watch my back lest a Battle Axe find it's way into it.

24th of Opal: I'm not sure how much longer I can last here. When I went to drink my Dwarven Ale, it tasted a bit funny. Poison? I better stick to Whip Wine. There is plenty of it and nearly everyone drinks that super sweet crap. I should be safe.

3rd of Obsidian: I don't think I will live to see the next year. I ordered the construction of a shop. I hope the opening day festivities will create enough distractions to buy me another day.

23rd of Obsidian: Tekren seems to be acting rather withdrawn. Is this the sign of someone going to snap? I can't keep dodging my would be killers forever.

25th of Obsidian: I woke up next to another Jaguar. He looks just like Mr. Bojangles did. Why did I have to be so proud? So reckless? I'm going to be murdered here and nobody will miss me.

27th of Obsidian: Me am fine. Me is going to take walk outside of fortress. Me hope Goblins don't take me away. Also Angry Olan is bestest Axedwarf ever!

TheSummoner
2009-09-30, 08:36 PM
Hammer of Armok? Explain this wonderous contraption to me please ^_^

tarbrush
2009-10-01, 04:29 AM
Is "doing something about that" also going to involve some unfortunate 'accidents'? :)

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-01, 06:42 AM
Hammer of Armok? Explain this wonderous contraption to me please ^_^

The Hammer of Armok is a very ingenius contraption. A support that holds up a few walls (and is hammer shaped) that is linked to a lever. Pull the lever and the hammer falls on any goblins stupid enough to be under it. This will stun or knock unconcious any goblin in range and even maim a few. Just make sure your dwarves are out of range. That's why I normally have them stationed in a nearby tower or something.

Also no, i don't plan on having any of the dwarves here have any "accidents." But I do plan to pump *clap* them up.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-01, 06:32 PM
See above post for all of my exploits.

Lord Herman
2009-10-02, 02:34 AM
It's best if you edit all your updates into the same post. That way, I can link to all your updates from the OP.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-02, 08:35 PM
Finished up to the beginning of Fall. Halfway done with this thing. So far it is shaping up pretty well.

Lord Herman
2009-10-03, 04:14 PM
Looks like a lot of interesting (and sometimes Fun) stuff has happened since my turn. Could you post a picture of the fortress, Obadiah?

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-03, 05:55 PM
This is the main level with living quarters and workshops. Storage is up a level and the depot/archery area up on more. A level down is the nobles quarters and the artifact vault.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/ObadiahtheSlim/Whispermansions-12-main.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/ObadiahtheSlim/Whispermansions-surface.jpg

This is the surface. The Apes are up at the main entrance. When I added the guard tower on top it really brought out the hammer shape of that enterance. Good job whoever designed it. I also started on a road to the north end, but haven't bothered to finish it since I suspect there is an ambush out there. Someone else can finish it I guess.

You can see where I walled off a pond. I was thinking about walling off the other one next to it.

Down a level is a set of bridges set to a few pressure plates that I assume will cause them to retract. No clue if there are reset levers for the bridges. I haven't seen any. Down below is a start on the spike traps. I've been building 2 spikes per trap but it is slow going. None of the spikes are attached to any levers yet. I suppose that will be the last step.

This was all taken in the Winter. I've got my post updated to it. Almost done. I've been trying to work out my Grand Finale before passing it on.

TheSummoner
2009-10-03, 06:08 PM
That was my design =P

Guard tower was a good idea, though the fact that I went the extra mile and put floors on top of it might've been a pain for you =/

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-03, 07:44 PM
Not really. I don't think you did the edges. All I had to do was build a scaffalding and then I could build some normal stairs. I kinda forgot that stairs block wagons and didn't get the human wagons because of that (oops). I fixed them to match what you see above.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-03, 08:45 PM
Well I'm done. Spring has arrived. I didn't get a chance to finish roofing the fishing area. Someone else will have to do that. I hope you enjoyed my journal and as promised, A little mystery, a little mayhem and even a murder. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: File is uploaded and I PM'ed Crixon.

Ilena
2009-10-06, 07:44 AM
I received it yesterday (busy weekend and didnt have time yesterday to play, though i did have some time to browse around see where everything is, and set some more spikes down ... :P) will hopefully get to be playing it today or tomorrow, tomorrow for sure. Its also a good thing i upgraded my pc recently, a fort this size would take days to get to winter on my old one, new one everything moves as if theres 7 dwarves, i love it :P anyway back to work! *wanders away muttering about what insanity she has inherited and how those dwarves are going to work!*

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-06, 07:55 AM
Well if it slows down too much you can turn off weather and temp. There is no magma or ice so it isn't going to hurt anything. Should give you an extra 10-15 FPS easy that way.

Ilena
2009-10-06, 12:21 PM
No it should be fine, my other comps video card was 7 years old ... probably older, now this machine should play it perfectly fine :P

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-06, 02:53 PM
Video card is meaningless. This game takes your CPU (or at least 1 core of it) and gives it a savage beating.

Dragonus45
2009-10-06, 07:51 PM
I just moved, and switched from a nice quad core with a handy graphics card to not so much happy fun sunshine. Im worried that when my turn comes up im gonna clog the order.

Ilena
2009-10-07, 07:52 AM
Oddly enough i did too, good video card and a quad core .... hmmm :P But i didnt get a chance to even go near my pc yesterday, so i will be doing all if not most of my turn tomorrow.

Dragonus45
2009-10-07, 11:22 AM
One quick question, what defines a "conventional" trap.

TheSummoner
2009-10-07, 01:51 PM
Anything that isn't triggered by a lever or pressure plate is a conventional trap. For a trap to be acceptable it either needs to be triggered by a dwarf throwing the lever or something tripping the pressure plate.

Weapon traps, stone fall traps, cage traps, all forbidden. Massive bridge system over a huge pit that drops goblins as soon as they trigger one of the many unavoidable pressure plates on the narrow strips of actual ground, dropping most of his friends to their death just fine ^_^.

Ilena
2009-10-07, 09:20 PM
Well so far only one dwarf has died .... :smalleek: you will find out how when i post my year :P

TheSummoner
2009-10-07, 09:31 PM
Is Dormar Ironblood still alive? Hes the champion of champion axedwarves =P

Ilena
2009-10-07, 09:48 PM
Indeed, he was not the poor soul who had an ... accident.

TheSummoner
2009-10-07, 09:52 PM
Figured Dormar was still around... that Dwarf eats raw elephant and guzzles down goblin blood.

Ilena
2009-10-07, 11:07 PM
Plenty of that around! Just bought some more elephant meat, almost done summer so i should hopefully have some more time to play and will finish by the weekend, nothing interesting happened during the summer ... spring seems to be a deadly time.

TheSummoner
2009-10-07, 11:11 PM
Hmm... how big has the military swelled?

When I left all there was was 5 godlike axedwarves, legendary in all relevant skills, and a rag-tag assortment of barely trained marksdwarves that I barely had any time to get started on their training before I had to pass it on.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-08, 04:15 AM
Well, I never added anything to the military. Dunno if anyone did, actually. I was much too busy trying to make the fortress awesome enough that the migrants would overcome their fear of it and actually show up to fill out our badly underdwarfed workforce

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-08, 07:32 AM
I didn't add any. The marksdwarves were doing pretty good and the champions were enough to deal with anything that doesn't have a range attack. Even then I think they could take on normal level bowgoblins. An elite bowgoblin would likely just cut them down, but that is what the finger was for.

Ilena
2009-10-08, 07:35 AM
Well, there was 9 recruits, I added 8 and we got 1, marksdwarves are pretty dam good, and our champs ... well ... we dont have to bother saying anything about them, they are awesome.

Ilena
2009-10-09, 08:01 PM
Ok turn done and sent off to the next player! Turn Below.

1st Granite 11 Early Spring

Well this is interesting ... i understand now why they made me sign this contract .... seemed so easy and a simple job. They kidnapped me while I was just sittin around doing a little fishing. Whos going to argue with a bunch of big dwarves who look like they know how to use those axes? They said that if i signed this agreement they will pay me 1000 gold coins ontop of that i get for being mayor, to say the least i was floored ... oversee a fortress of 100 dwarves and get double paid? What dwarf couldnt resist! The only agreement was i had to run it for two years, seems they have been having trouble keeping 1 person running it for more then a year. Cant be that bad can it? Well ... yes it can. I got here and saw why noone lasted more then a year .... im not sure i will last 5 days! I mean i got here and i found on my desk these words .... "Oh we forgot to mention, theres no farms, or animals allowed here, a few of the higherups were a little touchy about it muttering something about rebellion, we didnt ask, oh and theres to be no traps, they are a bit touchy about that too. Enjoy!" Great ... thanks for the note, things are just looking better and better as we go ... well lets go find out what kind of hell I've taken over.

Oh great, first day on the job and someone runs up to me saying that someone named Tekren Bimasiz started making something wonderous, everyones excited wondering what hes going to make, me i dont have a clue who this woman is but hopefully she makes something useful.

4th Granite 11 Early Spring

Well there was celebrating in the halls today, she made a right gauntlet, out of a cave lobster shell ... with an image of a steel spike on it, wonderful, just wonderful, now we can have a fellow running around with only one gauntlet! Strike fear into the hearts of our enemies with a steel spike! Though i suppose it is a threat ... considering we have a massive pit. I hear some call it the pit of armok I think, noones ever stuck around long enough to tell me, they just giggle with glee, remembering some horrible fate of some soul and run away.

As i was walking away in discust some elf came and found me, obviously not happy, saying something about tree killers and if we continued that there may be some kind of trouble. I threw up my hands and walked away, is there noone sane in this place? Must be too much elven influence ... though the thought crossed my mind to clearcut the forest.

8th Granite 11 Early Spring

Well, ive been here for 8 days and have walked this fort from top to bottom .... ive come to the conclusion that whoever ran this fort before me was most likely as insane as the dwarves inhabiting it. Why i havnt seen one single coffin, how are you supposed to have a proper barial without a coffin? Did they just toss the bodies into the ditch? Infact i dont want to know what they did with the bodies. Also, theres only a few shops setup in an area, the rest are all spread out all over the place, how are you supposed to find anything or have work crews??? So many dwarves are without work its horrible! Time to put some order back into this place!

18th Granite 11 Early Spring

A snatcher just about stole a child today, was actually spotted by the child but must have been so scared at getting caught by said child that they both ran, luckily they ran in two different directions out of the fort ... i roused the military though just incase ... Hmmm i must recind my earlier statement, evidently whoever made these coffins hid them inside a wall of other things, easily misplaced. I still like my coffins better and am now working on providing more coffins to each of our citizens. Make them feel as if they know where they are going when they die ... which will probably be soon.

23th Granite 11 Early Spring

Quickly! To the pit! Somehow those sneaky goblins got inside and are on the walkways! Our military responded quickly ... though i saw a problem ... it seems that a few of them ran out onto the bridges and ... fell along with some goblins, one poor soul died ... perfect reason to build more coffins!

4th Slate 11 Mid-Spring

Hearing sounds of screaming i woke from my bed to dwarves running and screaming that goblins are inside the fortress! Quickly i grabbed my belt knife and hid under my bed while shouting for the army to find them. Shortly after a dwarf came and said it was ok to come out, of course i wasnt hiding under my bed i was ... searching for goblins ... yes thats it. But this is a problem, somehow those beasts are getting inside without being spotted. Even managing to get to the bottom of the pit without being seen. I must look further into this.

12th Felsite 11 Late Spring

Well, we got a new bunch of migrants, it seems with them we rised to a county and word has spread that theres a king a coming. And this king seems to what some offerings and a good set of roads. Well ... im not going to be groveling to aking but road work i can do! Though with new dwarves rises the need to bring in more troops. I desided some of these pump dwarves have had enough and i drafted a bunch at random. Time for training!

13th Limestone 11 Early Autumn

Some dwarven merchants arrived, and were filtering into the fortress when someone spotted some of those blasted goblins, what is with this place? Its like its a goblin hotspot.

Goblin hotspot with insane dwarves ... what a mix. Anyway i ordered our dwarves to arms and everyone else inside, hopefully they will listen and not go running at the enemy! And hopefully the good old pit does its job well ... theres one goblin who looks like he knows what hes doing. An elite bowman it seems, will be interesting.

Well, the great pit was almost 100% successful, only 1 goblin got across and was shot down by marksdwarves ... those assigned to kill those who fall slaughtered the enemy. I went to the pit to see what our good dwarves did, and ... it was carnage. Many bodies of goblins lay around, though one of our marksdwarves did fall in battle. He will be buried with honors.

In response to this i feel that we need some kind of way to attack the enemy on the surface before they reach the pit. We can then let the pit become a secondary defence. Maybe once the 4 surface forts are completed it will intimidate the goblins to not attacking further.

10th Moonstone 11 Early Winter

Ok, now im worried. This is our second siege this year .... this place attracts more attention then im liking. The military has been deployed. It seems that the two forts we have setup and completed havnt intimidated the goblins at all. They keep coming.

This fight was alot different then the last, it seems that none of them really got in beyond the pit! The two new forts out front worked great, and the marksdwarves killed a few goblins outside. Everyone who fell into the pit got hacked to pieces by our military. I cant take it anymore ... so many bodies, so much blood. No amount of money is worth this, what happens if one of the goblins gets in? I dont care im going back to my cave, they are just going to have to find someone else!

Dragonus45
2009-10-09, 09:01 PM
Ok so i got the game, but im neck deep in paperwork to join the navy so im not sure how much ill be able to get done immediately.

:edit: well uhh, i seem to have no idea how i start the new save file. Seems a bit stupid of me to have asked by now but how exactly do i do it?

Lord Herman
2009-10-11, 10:46 AM
You need to put the save file (or actually, save folder) in (dorf fortess folder)/data/save/. It should then appear in your list of saved games in DF.

Dragonus45
2009-10-11, 12:54 PM
1st Granite 12 early spring

When i heard that there was a colony of dwarfs who refused to farm or allow animals to live among them i must say i was doubtful, but now that I'm here it seems to all too true. Even more strange, they seem to entirely incapable of telling me apart from them. I guess they never look past the beard. Well they appear to be out of a leader at the moment, the last one left without finishing his term and they all think I'm the replacement. I dont see why the chap would want to leave, the amount that there paying me could pay for all the grants i've been wanting to research the mating properties of Kaladashian Flying Tree Frogs. Really how hard could this be.

4th Granite 12 Early Spring

This place seems to be deceptively complicated, apparently the defenses are entirely made up of a rather large pit and an unfinished for tower fortress. Apparently aside from despising the use of farming and hatting all animals they also refuse to defend themselves with a machine that doesn't have at least fifteen steps to its activation and result in wholesale death for all involved. Its a colony full of mad genius dwarfs. I hope that the frogs know what it is that im doing for them.

Lord Herman
2009-10-16, 02:23 PM
How's the game coming along?

Dragonus45
2009-10-17, 12:43 PM
Sorry but for the time being its mostly not, pretty much all my free time is sucked up by "earning my keep" at my grandparents house. And with that and nonstop studying for the ASVAB im only about half way through with my turn. But while im here does anyone have a hint on how to speed up my frame rate, the fortress as is murdering my pc with violence.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-17, 05:45 PM
Turn off temperature and weather. You may want to turn weather back on if the murky pools start getting low though. You can also try to not desegnate huge areas for wood cutting, mining, etc. Also try killing all the wildlife so they don't have to have their paths calculated.

Lord Herman
2009-10-17, 05:48 PM
Also try killing all the wildlife so they don't have to have their paths calculated.

The same works for dorfs.

TheSummoner
2009-10-17, 10:22 PM
Typically wildlife will respawn as you kill them all... Still, it'll offer some help and also boost food stockpiles.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-18, 08:46 PM
Nah, if you kill animals enough, they will be completely depopulated for a few years.

TheLogman
2009-10-18, 08:52 PM
I tried to get a sucession game started a while ago, but nobody was interested. Glad to see a lot of people are playing it now.

I figure by the time it gets to my turn, I'll have gotten through all this schoolwork and have time to play, so sign me up if you can.

Should be nice to play in a wild world for once. I'm used to worlds that are calm, or frigid wastelands with no water and only polar bears and elk for animals.

Lord Herman
2009-10-19, 02:51 AM
Logman, I've added you to the list. Hurray!

Dragonus45
2009-10-20, 12:02 AM
Im sorry guys but there's no way im going to be able to finish. Between studying, paperwork, studying, and me finally getting a job earlier today my free time officially died. I sorry about all this but i dont want to hold up the game any more that i already have. Perhaps next time. And once again im really sorry about this. Ill send link to the fresh save that i got over to the next guy.

Lord Herman
2009-10-20, 03:31 AM
Very well, that means it's now Charl's turn. I've updated the first post accordingly.

charl
2009-10-20, 05:47 AM
Ok, I have the save. Don't have time to start playing until sometime next week, though.

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-27, 06:58 AM
Hey guys I'll take a spin put me on the list

TheSummoner
2009-10-27, 10:19 AM
So... I was reading up about Cacame Awemedinade, the most awesome Elf to ever live (Hes freaking king of the dwarves!) and my quest for information took me to the Bay12 forums. While there, I discovered these quotes... (spoilered because theres quite a few)

We have awesome art on cacame and egnum, we need some on Ironblood and Morul.

Now we just need a page on Egnun, the dwarf from the greatest dwarf in the world, and of course, Ironblood.

so, my question is why do we have the newer legends but not Capt. Ironblood?

We have awesome art on cacame and egnum, we need some on Ironblood and Morul. I imagine Morul as an Hercules kind of figure, hurling titans around with a single arm and drinking with the other and stuff.

I feel it does deserve it's own article ... Boatmurdered has one (however brief) and Nist Akath / Ironblood probably deserves one too. Morul I'm not directly familiar with. I'm thinking I'll leave those two to someone else who knows them better.

Other than that... if you're sure it deserves its own article rather than a post in the stories page, then it probably belongs in a category with Morul and Ironblood. Hell, maybe the Hall of Legends needs a page, with each story given an entry linked by the table of contents.

Maybe Ironblood, Morul, and Cacame could get in with a D for Dwarf article.

Cacame, Morul, and Ironblood walk into a Martian moon base.

Hell was destroyed and every last demon killed in the most painful fashion.

Edit: Speaking of the Wiki, I've actually been rather surprised that neither Morul nor Captain Ironblood has a wiki entry. They deserve it more than Cacame at this juncture.

Morul, ironblood and cacame meet up in a glowing pit and STORM HELL.

You missed the point. Morul/Ironblood/Cacame were all just normal representatives of their respective races, then they started doing awesome stuff; the Ender Goblins are programmed to be hard to kill. So, we need an average kobold/goblin become epic somehow. (i havent read Kobold quest yet, we might already have an epic kobold.)

So after seeing all of these things, theres something I need to know. Are they talking about our Ironblood? The Ironblood from this succession game? Is Dormar Ironblood really that famous? Or did I just get my hopes up when I saw that only for them to be smashed... I mean, Ironblood is a pretty Dwarfy name so someone else might've named their Dwarf Ironblood and had him become epic. Still, I MUST know!

TheLogman
2009-10-27, 11:18 AM
The Ironblood that they're talking about is from much much earlier in Dwarf Fortress history. Ours is very very recent, comparatively speaking.

TheSummoner
2009-10-27, 11:33 AM
Aww damn, it would've been so awesome to have created a famous character like that.

Ah well, nothing says it cant happen in the future.

So... do you have any links to where I can read up on that Ironblood?

Lord Herman
2009-10-27, 02:10 PM
Hey guys I'll take a spin put me on the list

I've added you to the list. :smallsmile:

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-27, 02:13 PM
Nope. Ironblood refers to the legendary "Captain Ironblood" from famous fort, Nist Akath

charl
2009-10-31, 03:58 AM
I am not going to be able to play this weekend. Should I pass the game on to the next person on the list?

Lord Herman
2009-10-31, 04:36 AM
We set a deadline of two weeks. If I'm not mistaken, you received the game about a week and a half ago. So if you don't think you'll be able to finish the game in the next few days, I'd pass it on to the next person in the list. If you want, I can move you to the end of the list, so you can play when you have more time.

charl
2009-10-31, 04:53 AM
It's doubtful that I will have time to play a whole year within the next couple of days, so I think it's better if I just pass it along to the next person. I haven't even played anything on the save yet, just looked around the fortress once and started making some preliminary plans.

So who should I send it to?

Lord Herman
2009-10-31, 05:20 AM
According to the list in the first post, TheLogman is the next person in line.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-02, 05:05 AM
So how's the fort coming along? Anyone got a recent copy of the save so we can upload it and see if everything is on fire or not?

Lord Herman
2009-11-02, 05:15 AM
Maybe someone could upload a snapshot of the fortress to the DF Map Archive (http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/).

charl
2009-11-02, 06:44 AM
Absolutely! One map archive link coming up.

The fortress in early spring year 12. (http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-7351-iklistmthkatwhispermansions)

This is how I got it, and sent it on.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-11-02, 07:47 AM
Those above ground fortifications are coming along nicely.

Edit: I noticed that all that wood my predecessor cut is still lying around.

Destro_Yersul
2009-11-02, 07:51 AM
It looks like someone went ahead and finished my work of engraving every conceivable surface. Also, ha! I knew those coffins were in there somewhere.

TheSummoner
2009-11-02, 01:22 PM
Ah... see theres your problem with the finger. Someone added those little walkways on the left and right. The original design just had the large natural pillars with statues on top, they werent accessable from the walkway.

TheLogman
2009-11-02, 03:53 PM
Awesome. This could not have shifted to me at a better time. I've just started to play DF again, I've got no schoolwork to speak of, I've just sent off my college applications, and I'm a wee bit bored.

I'll start her up and hopefully get some narrative and screenshots.

Rules are, if I remember correctly: 1. No Farming, 2. No Cage Traps, Weapon Traps, that sort, but bridge/lever/floodgate nonsense is okay, 3. All animals that are non-pets are slaughtered (Is it possible to slaughter pets?)

HOLY **** THIS PLACE IS HUGE. AND EFFICIENT. AND BEAUTIFUL IN EVERY SINGLE WAY! I'm always ashamed when I load other people's files because their fortresses are neater and nicer than man, but daaaaamn this place is posh!

TheSummoner
2009-11-02, 04:12 PM
Not in the conventional sence, but you could kill them off by dropping them from the finger or drowning them or something.