PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] feat: Snap Out Of It PEACH

Kingreaper
2009-06-19, 04:38 PM
Snap Out Of It
Prereq: BaB +4, Con 13+, Wis 11+
Benefit: Whenever you take damage, if you are currently being affected by a fear, compulsion or illusion effect, you may make a special saving throw against it's save DC, using 1/2 the damage taken instead of your base will save.
You may only attempt to save against one spell effect each time you take damage; you choose which effect to save against.
Additionally, when you first become affected by such an effect you may choose to deal damage to yourself up to your level+4 as an immediate action.

Is this too powerful; too weak?

DracoDei
2009-06-19, 05:08 PM
Can you choose to apply less damage to yourself than the full Level+4?

Don't know about it affecting say... Silent Image, just because someone clobbers you why should you see through the illusionary table with the nice table cloth they covered up the Macguffin with?

Kingreaper
2009-06-19, 05:36 PM

Don't know about it affecting say... Silent Image, just because someone clobbers you why should you see through the illusionary table with the nice table cloth they covered up the Macguffin with?

Hmm, yes, I suppose you should be able to apply less damage if you wish.

As for Silent Image or the like, if you're aware that it's not that (ie. you've put your hand through it, or seen someone do so) but have failed the will disbelief, a short sharp shock to bring you back to the reality that if you can't hit something it's probably not there makes some sense.

So, maybe add a line saying that this only works if you're aware of the effect? Or would that hit too many things?
Doesn't silent image already require that you observe that it's not real before you try and disbelieve anyway?

The Tygre
2009-06-20, 04:46 AM
Can you apply it to others? Because who here hasn't wanted to slap someone across the face and shout 'Snap out of it!'?

Pyrusticia
2009-06-20, 06:36 AM
Can you apply it to others? Because who here hasn't wanted to slap someone across the face and shout 'Snap out of it!'?

Benefit: Whenever you take damage,

The way I read this, no, you can't slap someone who doesn't have this feat to try to snap them out of it. Of course, if they have the feat, then knock yourself (well, them :smallwink: ) out...

Magnema
2009-06-20, 06:56 AM
How does this work with subdual damage?

Heh heh, as in actually slapping someone across the face...

J.Gellert
2009-06-20, 06:58 AM
I don't like the "You need a feat for this!!!" syndrome of 3.5...

I say, apply this on a case-by-case basis as a DM whenever you see fit, without a feat. Much better.

Roderick_BR
2009-06-20, 11:16 AM
I don't like the "You need a feat for this!!!" syndrome of 3.5...

I say, apply this on a case-by-case basis as a DM whenever you see fit, without a feat. Much better.

I don't think it's the case. This is a feat to give you one more special ability, that you usually don't have. You usually get one will save against those effects, and that's it, save some cases (like domination, when you are ordered to do somethng against your beliefs). The feat adds extra cases where you can get extra will save checks.
You can, if you wish, add it as an extra rule for magic at all (taking damage gives you an extra will save against xxx effects), or leave it as a feat. In fact, doing it would help to weaken the save-or-suck effects that wizards can use.

I could imagine someone under an illusion effect trapping him (like a wall), or some other fun effect (covered in scarabs), and an ally slapping him to "wake up". Maybe if it works only on figments (the ones inside one's head, if I'm not wrong), instead of the other effects.