PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors, Party 1

Kroy
2009-06-19, 04:55 PM
((OOC: You, the PCs, are standing in the backroom of the local tavern. The room has no furniture, save a few chairs in the corner. Three men are standing, heavily armed. One is the captain of the guard, while both of the other two are soldiers.))

The captain begins to speak. "You've all come here for different reasons. Some have come for the 10 year sentence reduction, others for the 70,000 gp. reward. Some to help the community, others for the glory. Your mission is simple: Destroy the Demi-Lich that dwells inside the tomb."

gigz
2009-06-19, 05:29 PM
"Then we shall delve into the depths of Hell to accomplish such. Pelor shall both Guide and Protect us from the dangers deep."

The speaker is a robed man in his late twenties, leaning on a staff with a holy symbol of Pelor prominently displayed. Smiling kindly, he nods his head at the assembled people.

Babale
2009-06-20, 12:44 AM
Babale waves his Greatsword in a dismissing fashion.

Yes, we all know why we're here. Can we just get to the point?

Killerloop
2009-06-21, 02:57 AM
"70000 gp are always nice to have in your pocket" said a human man dressed only with black silk and leather boots "But, since I don't know many demiliches.... how can we kill it? holy water?"

Babale
2009-06-21, 11:48 AM
Our friendly Cleric here can hurt undead, no?

gigz
2009-06-22, 10:04 AM
"Yes, I'm well versed in the destruction of undead, though I imagine a Demi-Lich is a bit more than my power could affect."

Babale
2009-06-22, 05:26 PM
Then we'll crush it underneath our feet. What magic can't acomplish, physical might can.

DrakebloodIV
2009-06-23, 07:57 PM
"And what physical might can't achieve, guns can"

Kroy
2009-06-23, 11:48 PM
"anyway, in order to help you, I will give you these." He lays down a metal rod and a ring on the table the mysteriously popped into existence. "This rod can bring someone back to life as long as they died within 24 hour. The ring can heal any loss of strength that may occur when brought back."
((OOC: The rod brings people back to life with a level loss. It has 6 charges. The ring can heal one level of level loss, and has 2 charges.))

Babale
2009-06-24, 12:08 AM
Thank you, sir.

says Babale.

Now let's go.

Killerloop
2009-06-24, 02:20 AM
"This rod is very nice" said Arkham, swiftly picking it up "I'll carry it for the team"

OOC: Rod of resurrection or of Raise Dead?

Babale
2009-06-24, 04:45 PM
Babale grabs the ring.

And I'll carry this. Let us depart now, unless you have more items of arcane power that may be of assistance?

Kroy
2009-06-24, 07:53 PM
"This rod is very nice" said Arkham, swiftly picking it up "I'll carry it for the team"

OOC: Rod of resurrection or of Raise Dead?

Neither. It just brings people back with a level penalty that have died in the past 24 hours.

Kroy
2009-06-26, 08:29 PM
Hey, if everyone dies in this party, can I join the next group? Please:smallbiggrin:.

No. Never. Please read the rules before posting!

Joining a PbP game
First, if you want to join a new game, check the Finding Players (Out-of-Character) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21) forum and see which games are looking for players. Do not post to a thread in an IC channel asking to join. This just annoys the GM and other players.

Killerloop
2009-06-28, 04:59 PM
Are we waiting for someone...?

DrakebloodIV
2009-06-30, 04:12 AM
Nathan pulls out an old metal pistol and clicks open the clip. He loads in six bullets while murmering some old incantations and the snaps it shut. He gives the wheel of it a spin and then shoves it in his belt.

"I think its time we go hunting" He says as he walks out the door.

Ooc

Loaded six spells into the pistol
1,2,3 Dominate person (with blank bullet)
4 Bestow curse
5 Enervation
6 Slow

I spun the cartridge so the spell cast will be random

Babale
2009-07-06, 12:07 AM
Hello? Anybody here?

Killerloop
2009-07-06, 05:38 AM
I guess he will be returning tomorrow, or at least this is what he says on his signature

DrakebloodIV
2009-07-06, 08:19 PM
Im here, so whenever were ready to go...

Eldrys
2009-07-07, 03:43 PM
Oh my god I subscribed to the thread( I couldn't think of what an angry, nature-loving dwarf woulld say.)And was lined up to post after Babale's first post. How did I miss SO much.

The panther who was stationed by the door suddenly turns into a dwarf and says:

So, what did you and the captan tell you of that unatural tomb.

(please note: I'm not the best Role-Player)

Kroy
2009-07-07, 05:16 PM
I'm back! Stuck in Bend yesterday! I'm not doing anything IC yet, since nobody addressed the guard is doing an action, but just letting people know that I'm here!

Killerloop
2009-07-08, 06:22 AM
"We have to kill a demilich, whatever a demilich is..." said Arkham to the dwarf "We got our things and we are all here"

Arkham starts moving towards the door and opens it.

OOC: Kroy, let's move on!

Kroy
2009-07-11, 05:20 PM
OOC: To get this game moving, I'm just bring you guys to the much anticipated Tomb.

The next day the group meets. You had gotten directions from the captain, so It is midday when you arrive at the hill that holds the Tomb. It is low, flat topped, and 300 yards long (200 yards wide). Ugly weeds, thorns and briers grow upon the steep sides and bold top of the 60 foot high mound. Black rocks crown the hilltop. You see 3 entrances. One on the northern end, one in the middle, and one towards the south.

Killerloop
2009-07-11, 05:44 PM
"Nice, of course that patetic excuse for a soldier didn't even tell us which one is the entrance to the tomb... well, I'll take a look for traps" said Arkham, already pissed off in the morning.

Search checks on every door and adjacent terrain

Eldrys
2009-07-11, 07:01 PM
Are They doors or things similar to cave entrances? If they're cave entrances I pull out my bag of tricks and throw animals one at a time through the entrances, starting with the left entrance, then the right entrance, then the middle entrance. If they're doors, I wait for Arkham to do his thing.

Kroy
2009-07-12, 09:40 PM
"Nice, of course that patetic excuse for a soldier didn't even tell us which one is the entrance to the tomb... well, I'll take a look for traps" said Arkham, already pissed off in the morning.

Search checks on every door and adjacent terrain

Sorry, they are each dark and foreboding cave entrances.

Are They doors or things similar to cave entrances? If they're cave entrances I pull out my bag of tricks and throw animals one at a time through the entrances, starting with the left entrance, then the right entrance, then the middle entrance. If they're doors, I wait for Arkham to do his thing.

Your *insert small fluffy animal here* wanders into the darkness and disappears.

Eldrys
2009-07-12, 10:11 PM
After I see that, I send and animal through the right gate, if the same thing happens to the second fluffy animal as the first, I send another furry animal through the middle entrance. If the same thing happens to all three animals I sit back and wait for someone else to do something. if something happens to the second and third furry animal( but not the first) I march through the entrance I threw the first animal through( the left one)

Killerloop
2009-07-13, 02:17 AM
Arkham scratches his head.

"I see no traps or dangerous mechanics on these entrances, at least on the exterior so... I vote for the rightmost entrance due to a completely random decision"

gigz
2009-07-15, 01:19 PM
Dartimus shrugs his shoulders. "Random is fine by me, all ways are likely just as dangerous."

Kroy
2009-07-15, 09:19 PM
You guys are aware that you're just randomly throwing furry animals into dark caves, right?:smalltongue: I mean, do you guys expect the cave to explode in a giant fireball with a proximity trigger?

Eldrys
2009-07-15, 09:22 PM
correction: I'm throwing furry animals into a dark cave. Besides I know it might be a form of meta-gaming (and if you tell me to I'll stop), but it is the tomb of horrors.

Killerloop
2009-07-16, 02:25 AM
OOC: We definitely need a party leader who picks decisions, usually this role is picked by a fighter, but if no one is interested I'll do that.

IC: "Ok people let's move on! Center entrance!" said Arkham moving towards the central entrance.

@DM

As soon as I am in I pull out my everburning torch from backpack, activate it and begin carefully searching for traps or the like

Kroy
2009-07-18, 03:14 PM
You see a fifteen foot long, and ten foot wide corridor is full of cobwebs. A set of double Oaken doors are visible at the end of the passageway. The roof, twenty feet overhead is obscured by hanging strands.

Also, from this point on, you need to specify exactly where you walk. All traps will happen in the post they are triggered.

DrakebloodIV
2009-07-18, 10:19 PM
Nathan walks to the entrance of the dungeon. He draws his pistol slowly and casually loads it full of bullets, murmuring as he does. Any who look closely can see the bullets glow red before he loads them.

*Click*

He spins the chamber of the gun.

*Whrrrrrr*

*BANG BANG*

As the two bullets fly toward the webbing, they catch fire, forming powerful fireballs.

Just so you know, bold colored words are spells cast

Babale
2009-07-19, 12:28 AM
OOC: I'm the fighter. So, am I the leader?

IC: Babale stands back from the fireballs. Damnit! Now every creature in that tomb know we're here.

Killerloop
2009-07-19, 04:47 AM
OOC: Babale, fine for me... go to the front meat-shield :)

"Watch out moron! You could burn us! Do you mind if we actually DECIDE a course of action before doing this sort of things??"

Arkham moves to the left wall and advances carefully

Arkham continues to search for traps and such

Babale
2009-07-19, 10:32 AM
Babale follows the guy checking for traps.

Lead on, pincushion. he says.

Kroy
2009-07-19, 08:12 PM
The cobwebs burn quickly, little pieces fall from the ceiling. A few pebbles fall to the ground, then the tomb is silent.

DrakebloodIV
2009-07-19, 09:55 PM
"The tomb is stone. The webs might be poisoned"

Nathan takes a single step into the tomb.

Kroy
2009-07-19, 11:30 PM
"The tomb is stone. The webs might be poisoned"

Nathan takes a single step into the tomb.

Your foot step echoes, then silence. No movement catches your eye, except a small mouse running out of the tomb.

OOC: Which side are you advancing on? I'm assuming right, since your teammate is one step in on the left (Please note that as DM, I will always choose the most logical choice for you if you're unspecific. I will set traps off accordingly).

DrakebloodIV
2009-07-20, 02:50 AM
Nathan slips off a boot, takes several pounds of empty rifle shells from his pack, and fills the shoe with them. He then drops it foreword a few feet.

OOC question- Is the floor made of specific tiles or just a marble slab. I'll make a spot check if need be. The boot is at least a foot high and the shells are quite heavy, so I would assume that at least ten pounds are in the shoe.

Kroy
2009-07-20, 08:32 PM
It appears to either be ancient tiles that have partially eroded away, or just plain stone. No noise can be heard, or motion. The tomb is quiet and still.http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ToH_Gallery/ToHGraphic1.jpg

Killerloop
2009-07-21, 02:43 AM
"Everything seems fine, keep your feet where I set mine" said Arkham ending his advance towards the door.

"Let's see if good 'ld bigass undead left a trick for us in this door"

Search checks on the door, if nothing spotted I'll try to open it

gigz
2009-07-21, 10:07 AM
Dartimus summons a shimmering force that surrounds his body before following the rest into the tomb. Keeping towards the back, away from sharp teeth and rending claws he steps only where instructed by Arkham.

OOC- Casting Mage Armor

Kroy
2009-07-21, 01:01 PM
"Everything seems fine, keep your feet where I set mine" said Arkham ending his advance towards the door.

"Let's see if good 'ld bigass undead left a trick for us in this door"

Search checks on the door, if nothing spotted I'll try to open it

You failed a search check badly. Rocks fall and Arkham takes 59 damage (21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2173388/), Dartimus takes 67 (11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2173389/), Nathan jumps away from the rocks in time (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2173390/) and only got a few wounds (or 23 damage), Vaaldune was caught unaware (17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2173393/) as the ceiling collapsed and took 50 damage, Babale Noname took a total of 49 damage on his failed reflex save of (12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2173395/)

Damage rolled here (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2173396/) & here (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2173397/). All of you (except Nathan are buried under ~ 4' of debris. However, I'm going to let you guys dig your way out without a problem. The stone was more concentrated towards the door, so if you wish to not suffocate, than you are on the other side of the passageway from the door, so you need to figure out how you're going to get through the rock pile.

Eldrys
2009-07-21, 01:30 PM
Damnit Arkham! I thought that you were a rogue. We're not even out of the first room and already you've sprung a trap.

We had better start digging.

Vaaldune turns morphs into a pantherm grows a large set of arms on his shoulder blades, and starts digging the rouble away from the door

Kroy
2009-07-21, 01:43 PM
Damnit Arkham! I thought that you were a rogue. We're not even out of the first room and already you've sprung a trap.

We had better start digging.

Vaaldune turns morphs into a pantherm grows a large set of arms on his shoulder blades, and starts digging the rouble away from the door

OOC: Nat 2 on a DC 24 trap? even with a +15 bonus there wasn't much he could do.

Eldrys
2009-07-21, 01:52 PM
OOC: Nat 2 on a DC 24 trap? even with a +15 bonus there wasn't much he could do.

Yeah but in character, the rogue dosen't roll the dice. He's a rogue, and he set of a trap in the first room. IC he seems to be pretty bad at his job.

gigz
2009-07-21, 01:53 PM
As everyone digs themselves out, it becomes apparent that Dartimus is not joining them. He seems inable, or incabable, of pulling himself out of the debris.

Eldrys
2009-07-21, 01:58 PM
Vaaldune rushes over to Dartimus to check on his motionless body.

Killerloop
2009-07-21, 04:22 PM
"This is just impossible" said an enraged Arkham pulling out dirt from his twisted slik "that thing was child play! Someone of you clumsy idiots must have put his foot where he shouldn't."

Noticing the man on the floor: "Fantastic! Well, I guess it is better if we pull out, camp out a little and mend our wounds before continuing. We all seem in a bad shape."

OOC: Ahem.. why I didn't "take 20" on this Search?

Babale
2009-07-21, 06:10 PM
Grunting, Babale digs himself out of the rubble.

DAMN IT! I thought the whole point of having a Rogue is that HE gets hurt, not us?

Kroy
2009-07-21, 06:11 PM
OOC: Ahem.. why I didn't "take 20" on this Search?

If that's a real question, don't know. If you don't say so, it doesn't happen. Plus, it's more interesting when you don't.
Grunting, Babale digs himself out of the rubble.

DAMN IT! I thought the whole point of having a Rogue is that HE gets hurt, not us?

I thought you were elected door opener?

PS: Did you name your character Babale?

Eldrys
2009-07-21, 08:17 PM
PS: Did you name your character Babale? Yes, he did. Also, what about Vaaldune running over to check on Dartimus.

Kroy
2009-07-21, 09:18 PM
Yes, he did. Also, what about Vaaldune running over to check on Dartimus.

I don't know, this is the player doing his own thing. I'm not going to say, unless there's a rule question/comment.

DrakebloodIV
2009-07-22, 02:03 AM
"Heh."

Nathan stands up and dusts himself off. He walks toward the pile of rocks and assists in lifting the others out of the rubble.

"Another tunnel? Or my gunpowder?"

Kroy
2009-07-25, 12:04 PM
Is anybody still interested? If only 1 or 2 are I'll merge the two groups.

DrakebloodIV
2009-07-25, 12:47 PM
I'm interested.

Killerloop
2009-07-25, 12:51 PM
Me too!! And I can post daily.

Kroy
2009-07-25, 07:09 PM
Me too!! And I can post daily.

Wait, why didn't you respond to drakebloods question?

Killerloop
2009-07-25, 09:20 PM
Which question exactly??

DrakebloodIV
2009-07-25, 09:25 PM
"Another tunnel? Or my gunpowder?"

I presume it's that one.

Killerloop
2009-07-25, 09:30 PM
...all the people here were REALLY waiting for me to answer, including DM???

I don't believe this.

Anyway...

IC: "Tunnel what??? One of our clumsy party members here triggered a stone fall trap!" Arkham literally screamed in outrage.

DrakebloodIV
2009-07-25, 09:42 PM
"Always a secret door. Explosions kill air."

Kroy
2009-07-25, 10:45 PM
...all the people here were REALLY waiting for me to answer, including DM???

I was waiting for someone. Anyone.

Killerloop
2009-07-26, 02:28 PM
Well, if others lost interest I think you can add me and drakeblood to other group.

Eldrys
2009-07-26, 08:00 PM
Sorry about the delay, I'm still in but my parents and I went out of town this weekend. Also, my parents set up parental controls so I can't go on line as much as I would like..

Kroy
2009-07-27, 04:51 PM
You guys have enough people for now. What are you gonna do. Explosives or leave? or other?

gigz
2009-07-28, 10:18 AM
Dartimus is still unconscious and bleeding. Hence, no comment from him.

Eldrys
2009-07-28, 10:36 AM
When Vaaldune jogs over to Dartimus to check on him, he realizes that he is not moving, and will not wake up. He then promptly casts CMW for 2d8+6

Killerloop
2009-07-28, 12:35 PM
I already told that we need to rest before continuing, we got a bad punishment in the first room and if we sleep a while we can recover some hitpoints

Kroy
2009-07-30, 08:20 PM
When Vaaldune jogs over to Dartimus to check on him, he realizes that he is not moving, and will not wake up. He then promptly casts CMW for 2d8+6

CMW cures [roll0] damage.

Killerloop
2009-07-31, 02:12 AM
"That should wake him up" said Arkham "Come on, let's get out of here... we'll return later when we have regained our strenght."

DrakebloodIV
2009-07-31, 03:14 AM
Nathan decides to make a split decision, as oxygen would run out quickly if they didnt act soon. He takes his large sack of gunpowder out of his bag. He takes some cloth rags out and made crude bombs, weighing them by hand. Ripping off a few long strands of cloth he ties them together to make a string which several strands come out of to make a fuse. He then puts it in the sack and shakes it to coat the fuse in powder. He ties an end of the fuse to each bag and packs them in under several points of balance in the rocks.

OOC

Creating a simple set of bombs to blow open the rocks. If I need to make a check tell me, you descide how much powder I use.

Ditto
2009-08-14, 08:11 AM
To anyone who's still here: I'm going to pick up where Kroy left off DMing, if y'all aren't opposed. It seems like there's some folks who have drifted away, so I'll combine both groups. (More suckers to set off more traps.) Roll call to see who's still checking the thread and interested. I'll probably want to put you in the other thread, and you can walk up and join them like you were always there. >_> They went into the center cave entrance and haven't destroyed the corridor yet. :smallsmile: Y'all can start fresh!

The other thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115251&page=4). Check in over there if you're interested in continuing.