PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Online Races

Tyas
2006-03-20, 02:42 AM
This is my shot at creating a rough approximation of the races from Final Fantasy online. The are a reasonable attempt to translate them into d20. I pulled a few things out of my hat because there are, to a greater or lesser extent, not so many things that distinguish the races in the actual game.

So tell me what you think.

A note on multiple favored classes: a couple of these races have 2 favored classes. This should be treated as a human's favored class; The highest of the two is concidered the favored class and does not count when determining whether they take an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Hume: Humes in Vana'diel have proven to be the driving force behind both the technological progress of the Republic of Bastok and the unification efforts of the Grand Duchy of Jeuno.

Medium Creature.
Hume base land speed is 30 feet.
Automatic Languages: Common.
Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
1 extra feat at 1st level.
+2 Racial bonus on Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive and Gather Information checks.
+2 Racial bonus on Craft (Alchemy), Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) and on Crafting checks involving metal or stone.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass hume takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
General Alignment tendancy: Any. Bastokian would tend to be Chaotic Good, Jeuno would tend to be Lawful Good.

Elvaan: tall and strong, they make good warriors and noble Paladins. A bit clumsy.
Dex -2, Str +2
Medium Creature
Elvaan base land speed is 30 feet
Automatic Languages: Common, Elvaan
Bonus Languages: Ancient Elvaan, Draconic, Orc, Goblin
+1 Racial bonus on Fortitude saves.
+2 bonus on Intimidate, Bluff, and Sense Motive checks; Elvaan are physically imposing and have a natural distrust for others that makes it difficult to fool them.
+2 racial bonus on Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Religion) and Knowledge (Royalty and Nobility) checks; Elvaan are a race that even as children are taught a great deal about their heritage and race.
+2 Racial bonus on Craft checks involving wood Martial background: The Elvaan recieves the Weapon Focus feat for free at first level, and may apply it to any single weapon he is proficient in.
Favored Classes (2): Fighter, Paladin
General Alignment tendancies: Lawful (Good or Neutral)

Taru-Taru: Short and often overlooked the Taru-Taru are at degrees both whimsical and maniacle. Taru-Taru are famed arcane casters, and are often acceptable 'finesse' fighters.
Str -2, Con -2, Int +2, Dex +2
Small creatures: +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, they use smaller weapons than humes use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Taru-Taru base land speed is 20 feet.
Automatic Languages: Common, Taru-Taru
Bonus Languages: Ancient Taru-Taru, Yagudo, Goblin, Mithran, Terran, Ignian, Aquan, Auran
+2 Racial bonus on Craft (Cooking) checks. Some of the most renowed chefs in the world are Taru-Taru, and their main city is home to the most famous of cullinary guilds.
+2 Racial bonus on Knowledge (Arcana) and Knowledge (The Planes)
Attunement to the flow: Chose a magic school (example: Evocation). The Taru Taru recieves a +2 bonus on all their saves vs. that school.
Favored Class: Wizard
General Alignment Tendancies: Lawful (Any)

Galka: Large and Hulking, the Galka tower over all the other civilized races of Vana'diel. Though not large enough to qualify as a large creature, they are still bigger than any other race. Notable for their large, vaguely lizardlike tails, great endurance, and the fact that Galka do not reproduce; They either die in battle or accident, or when the reach an old age wander off on quest. Young Galka simply wander into town as a toddler, the reincarnation of those who have died. Young galka rarely remember thier former lives. Galka make fierce warriors and are well known for their metalworking and mining skills. While often thought of as less than mentally agile, many Galka are indeed quite wise and intelligent, thought they tend to think things through very deliberatly, and not act on impulse.
Str +2, Con +2, Dex -2, Chr -2
Medium Creature
Galkan base land speed is 30 feet.
Automatic Languages: Common, Galkan
Bonus Languages: Quadaav, Orcish, Yagudo, Goblin, Terran.
Low-Light Vision: A Galkan can see twice as far as a hume in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Weapon Familiarity: Galka treat the Galkan War Pick as a martial weapon, instead of an exotic weapon.
Stability: A Galka recieves a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed, tripped, or overrun when standing on a stable surface. This is both due to their great size and relativly low center of gravity as well as using their thick tails for balance.
+2 Racial bonus to Appraisal checks involving metal
+2 Racial bonus to Craft checks involving metal
Massive fortitude: At first level a Galka can choose one of the following feats: Great Fortitude or Toughness
Favored Class: Fighter
General Alignment Tendancies: Neutral (Good, True, Evil)

Galkan War Pick, 2 handed exotic melee Weapon:
20 GP, Damage: 1d8 (S), 1d10 (M), Critical x4, 10 lbs, Piercing.
(Note: There's nothing really special about it except it's rare. I see no reason why in normal use this weapon could not be a martial weapon; the scyth is virtually identical but gives you slashing damage, but it is exotic here for flavor)

Mithra: Graceful and agile, the feline Mithra hail originally from Khazam, but crossed the great sea to fight the crystal war at the side of the other races of Vana'diel. They currently share the city of windurst with the Taru-Taru, and most notably the ranks of the Star Sybil's Sybil Guards are drawn exclusivly from the Mithra.
While Mithra, like most races, exist as both male and female, male births are exceedingly rare, and as such male mithra are normally kept locked away from the prying eyes of other races, the threats of the world, and indeed other mithra. Thus male adventuring mithra are
so rare as to be unheard of. The mithra, while valiant, tend to have a reputation for aloofness and haughtiness.
Con -2, Dex +2
Medium Creature
Mithran base land speed is 30 feet.
Automatic Languages: Common, Mithran
Bonus Languages: Yagudo, Goblin, Taru-Taru, Hunter (A simple language used when hunting to blend in with the environment's sounds), Tonberry
Low-Light Vision: A Mithran can see twice as far as a hume in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to
distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Weapon Proficiency: Mithra recieve the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the Long and Short bow (including composite bows) as bonus feats.
Claws: Mithra have short retractable claws on their hands which allow them to make hand to hand attacks for lethal damage; This is not the same as improved unarmed feat and they may only make a lethal damage attack with unarmed if at least one hand is free. Also, Mithra gain a +2 Circumstance Modifier for Escape Artist checks involving Rope which stacks with the racial bonus below.
+2 Racial Bonus on Listen, Spot, Search. Mithra are naturally alert, and generally have keen senses.
+2 Racial bonus to Climb, Move Silently, Jump and Balance checks.
+2 Racial bonus to Escape Artist checks. Mithra are amazingly flexible.
Haughty and aloof: Mithra recieve a -2 to all Gather Information and Diplomacy checks when dealing with other races familier with them (Aside of course fellow Mithra). The DM may waive this penalty in the case of Mithra who are well known to the people they are dealing with.
Favored Classes (2): Rogue, Ranger.
General Alignment Tendancies: Chaotic Good

Edit: Trimmed back the Taru and Galka, made the Mithra a bit better.

Edit (most recent): Tweaked a bit. Added the General Alignment Tendancies (which are mainly for NPC's. PC's can of course be any alignment). Added the alternate-from-standard-human Humes.

Hadrian_Emrys
2006-03-20, 04:18 AM
Seems that the Elvaan are alright and Taru-Taru/Galka are very powerful races, but Mithra are surprisingly gimpish by comparison.

The Taru race is easily my favorite of them all, in the original game and in this format.

Tyas
2006-03-20, 09:08 PM
So, any suggestions?

I see I left the +2 magic saves on the Taru... That should have been +1.

Are, in your opinion, the Taru powerful due to the confluence of +2 int, +2 dex, Being small (AC bonus), and wizard favored class?

Galka:
I think I agree... they were the last class I actually worked on, and I was tired.

Let's do the following:
Change Darkvision to Low Light Vision.
Remove the Weapon Proficiencies.
Add Weapon Familiarity with the Galkan War Pick (It's now a Martial Weapon for them)
Replace Oversized Medium Creature with the following
Stability: A Galka recieves a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed, tripped, or overrun when standing on a stable surface. This is both due to their great size and low center of gravity as well as using their thick tails for balance.
(For those not familer, Galka are very hefty dudes. )
Favored class: Fighter (Barbarian doesn't really fit, I think I was trying to fit something for the Dark Knight niche from the game).
Maybe swap the Chr-2 to int -2 instead? I don't really want to do that though.. Galka are not dumb, just a little slow and methodical in their approaches.

Hadrian_Emrys
2006-03-20, 09:16 PM
I'm no expert when it comes to racecraft. Just to screw around I made a race using the Savage Species rules and ended up with an insectile halfling-like race with +9 nat armor and only a +1 LA. :D

I just know that the Taru would make for the most powerful wizard race ever without a nerfing or the addition of a LA.

Gyrfalcon
2006-03-20, 09:20 PM
You might want to consider giving the Hume some racial skill adjustments, as most of the races recieve the benefit of at least one free feat, leaving the Hume with... +4 skill points at 1st level and +1 skill points after that.

Lets see... of the races, I'd say that the Elvaan are well-adjusted and close to the Hume. The Taru-Taru are alright, and the fact that Wizards are going to be pretty common among them looks right for the race.

The Galka should be fine with your changes.

Mithra - I'd remove the -2 CHR or -2 CON from the Mithra, personally. They've got some nice racial skill bonuses, but not enough so to justify being the only race to have a negative stat adjustment total.

Tyas
2006-03-21, 02:11 AM
ok.. gonna make an edit with a few more changes, let's see how it looks then.

For a less generic Hume, what do you think of this:
Hume:
Humes in Vana'diel have proven to be the driving force behind both the technological progress of the Republic of Bastok and the unification efforts of the Grand Duchy of Jeuno.
As Human, with the following changes;
Humes do not gain the Human Skill point bonuses.
Humes gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive and Gather Information checks.
Humes gain a +2 bonus on Craft (Alchemy), Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) and on Crafting checks involving metal or stone.

General Racial Alignment trends:
Humes: Any. Bastokian would tend to be Chaotic Good, Jeuno would tend to be Lawful Good.
Elvaan: Lawful Good or Neutral
Galka: Neutral Good
Taru-Taru: Lawful (any)
Mithra: Chaotic Good

Edit: Added the redone Humes, and the racial alignments.

Gyrfalcon
2006-03-21, 06:08 AM
Overall, the adjustments look pretty good. The races seem to be fairly well balanced against each other, with no one being overwhelmingly uber for one reason or another. Good job. :)

Hm... of the races, besides the Hume the Taru-Taru are the only one you've indicated that have a decent potential of producing Lawful Evil individuals. Is there an in-game reason for this?

Tyas
2006-03-21, 11:04 PM
Most races in FF are really good only. The whole game is setup as a pc's=good vs. npc evils.
Taru's however especially delve into things people were not meant to know (black magic and summoning), and the humes seem to be all over the spectrum.

This is just a general alignment thing. like the MM listing dwarves as LG, and Elves as CG. There are CE dwarves and LE elves, but they are the exceptions.

Gyrfalcon
2006-03-22, 05:29 AM
That works. I play WoW, so you have the Burning Crusade and the Twilight Hammer among others, where you've got player races doing evil things, not to mention the orcs have hostile humans in their lands, and the humans and dwarves have orcs in their lands and so on.

Tyas
2006-03-22, 01:42 PM
Ya, I've played WoW as well... a different setup there, definatly.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually fought a PC race outside of Ballista (A PvP event thing, think Full contact magic using arena football.) There have been.. well... urg.. hmmm... Storyline spoilers, I guess I shouldn't mention them.

But there are no real PC races I have ever fought.

I showed this stuff w/revision history to some friends and they suggested a minor changes to Taru (bring them up to +2 save bonus against a specific school of magic). Most of the base race saving throw bonuses are +2, the only exception being the halfling general +1 vs everything.

Also, after further concideration the Galka should be Neutral (Good, True, Evil), as they too delve into things people were not meant to know. (Dark Knights, an black mage version of a paladin.)

I'll bundle all that into the first message.

tonberryking
2006-03-22, 01:45 PM
I know it's using an entirely different system, but you might want to look at the racial infomartion provided by the returners Final fantasy game system, as it gives you a pretty clear idea (on an overall level) of how the races comapre with each other.