PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/bard Feats

Stormageddon
2009-06-19, 05:14 PM
So I have a idea for a character I'm going to be playing in my next game for a rogue 2 / bard 3 / unseen seer 10 and ?? after that. Not super great build but done for role playing.

My question is: what are some must have feats for a build like this? Or is their even any?

yilduz
2009-06-19, 05:22 PM
Something that boosts fort save. >_>

But since you're making it for the sake of role playing, I'd say something fun and interesting. I've always wanted to play in a campaign that was more geared toward role playing than destroying things, because I imagine a character like this would be fun.

Keld Denar
2009-06-19, 05:36 PM
Well, after Bard3, you can take Song of the Heart from the Ebberon Campaign Setting. Its not really "setting specific" even though its in the book, and it gives +1 on your Inspire Courage. Since you won't be progressing your IC at all, this, combined with a Badge of Valor (MIC) and a Vest of Legends (DMGII) and the Inspirational Boost spell (SpC) will get you to +5 Inspire Courage, which is great for everyone.

If you do that, you'll probably want Subsonics from Complete Adventurer, IIRC. It lowers your voice below the audible level so you can sneak around Unseen Seer-like, and still be uplifting to your allies.

Another good feat is Darkstalker from Lords of Madness. As long as you are hiding, you also don't show up on Blindsight, Blindsense, Tremorsense, or Scent. This is incredibly useful if you keep those 2 skills maxed out.

Stormageddon
2009-06-19, 09:07 PM
Something that boosts fort save. >_>

But since you're making it for the sake of role playing, I'd say something fun and interesting. I've always wanted to play in a campaign that was more geared toward role playing than destroying things, because I imagine a character like this would be fun.

I'll probably end up just getting fun feats. The DM of my group ends up giving out way more EXP for role playing than beating up things and taking their stuff. I'm probably going to end up taking Obtain familiar, improved intitive, and the one that allows all preform checks as the highest ranked preform skill you have (PHB2).

yilduz
2009-06-19, 09:16 PM
I'll probably end up just getting fun feats. The DM of my group ends up giving out way more EXP for role playing than beating up things and taking their stuff. I'm probably going to end up taking Obtain familiar, improved intitive, and the one that allows all preform checks as the highest ranked preform skill you have (PHB2).

Well, you're definitely the skill monkey, so run with that. Anything that features the different skills you'll be using should be nice. Also, play with out-of-combat stuff. With that progression, I imagine Cha will be one of your highest (if it was my character, the highest) abilities scores you have. So, go with anything that lets you use charisma in battle, like feinting.

Also, after level 15, maybe take a few levels of arcane trickster. I think it fits.

Stormageddon
2009-06-19, 10:27 PM
Well, you're definitely the skill monkey, so run with that. Anything that features the different skills you'll be using should be nice. Also, play with out-of-combat stuff. With that progression, I imagine Cha will be one of your highest (if it was my character, the highest) abilities scores you have. So, go with anything that lets you use charisma in battle, like feinting.

Also, after level 15, maybe take a few levels of arcane trickster. I think it fits.

feinting isn't going to work since it's going to be a halfling that throws daggers and use a sling, all range. I remember their was a feat in 3.0 call "Hand is quicker than the eye" that allowed a feint with range. But my DM considers anything 3.0 overpowered and won't allow it. What else allows charisma in battle?

Arcane trickster 5 after unseen seer is a great idea!

Keld Denar
2009-06-19, 10:45 PM
The biggest things that allow you to bring your charisma into play in combat are Snowflake Wardance and Divine Might. Unfortunately, neither of them work very well for your character. SFWD works off bardic music, but only works in melee, and uses music uses to activate. Since your character only has 3 songs per day, you could only use the ability once per day, which would be sad even if you could use it at range, which you can't. Divine Might requires turn undead, which your character doesn't have. Its kinda a paladin/war cleric kinda thing.

There are a few other items, like Slipper of Battledancing (MIC) and Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows (some Dragon Mag), but again, melee only and rather limited in actual execution.

Any chance you could have a chat with your DM and homebrew up a feat or item that allows you to bring your Cha to bear in combat more than any of your other stats?

yilduz
2009-06-19, 10:51 PM
Any chance you could have a chat with your DM and homebrew up a feat or item that allows you to bring your Cha to bear in combat more than any of your other stats?

I was thinking that, but if he isn't allowing anything from 3E, I can't imagine he'd allow homebrew. Worth a shot, though.

I was already thinking about the divine stuff. If you dipped a level of Cleric, you'd be eligible for divine feats, but you'd suffer xp penalties with the classes you've chosen, and you'll lose a level of bard casting (LOL).

The only other thing I can think of is intimidate. Work around that, maybe.

Lawless III
2009-06-19, 11:15 PM
Take a level of Dashing Swordsman.:smallwink: