PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Voyager_I
2006-03-20, 11:25 AM
Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Maxwell's Silver Hammer was wielded by the nefarious Maxwell on his brief yet legendary killing spree, which was immortalized in a ballad (http://server1.lyricsondemand.com/b/beatleslyrics/maxwellssilverhammerlyrics.html) by one of the greatest troupes of bards the planes have ever seen. Although Maxwell claimed only three lives, the guile with which he did so was deemed worthy of song. Indeed, the final murder that is known to history was none other than the very judge proclaiming Maxwell's conviction! After such a daring move, Maxwell somehow managed to escape his heavily guarded trial and reach freedom. Even the strongest divination magics were unable to locate him, but his Hammer was found under a bridge shortly afterwards, most likely ditched as evidence. No mortal can say with any real certainty what became of Maxwell, but his Hammer remains a revered artifact as testament to his prowress.

Maxwell weilded a hammer intricately forged of pure silver. It is a medium Warhammer +1 that bypasses damage reduction accordingly, but does not suffer the penalties to damage assosciated with Alchemical Silver. Maxwell's Silver Hammer has an effective enhancement bonus of +5, Hardness 20, and 70 Hit Points. In addition, it has the following special characteristics.

...but as the words are leaving his lips,
a noise comes from behind...

Showing great cunning and guile, Maxwell was always able to stealthily catch his victims unawares. The wielder of Maxwell's Silver Hammer recieves a +5 bonus to their Move Silently skill.

...Bang, Bang!
Maxwell's Silver Hammer came down upon his head!...

Maxwell was able to use his sneaky advantage to deal a devastating opeing blow to his victims. In all three documented murders, the single first strike was sufficient to bring down his target. The wielder of Maxwell's Silver Hammer may add 3d6 Sneak Attack damage to their attacks when appropriate, as if they had the ability. If they already deal Sneak Attack damage as a class feature, it stacks with the damage from Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

...Bang, Bang!
Maxwell's Silver Hammer made sure that he was dead.

Maxwell showed meticulous control and calculation as he carried out his attacks. Even after his victims had fallen and he was free to make his escape, he still took the time for an additional blow to make certain their fates. If Maxwell's Silver Hammer is used to drop an opponent with a sneak attack, it's wielder may immediately take another attack against them at their full attack bonus as a free action. This will, more than likely, seal their fates.

As an aside, any wielder attempting to use the latter two abilities of Maxwell's Silver Hammer must shout "Bang, Bang!" loudly and in the best singing voice they can manage. If they are either unwilling or unable to do this (caught in the area of a silence spell, for example), then neither of these effects take place.

Moderate Evocation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, 10 ranks in Move Silently, 4d6 Sneak Attack Damage; Price 50,312 gp; Cost 25,156 gp + 2012 xp

Gamebird
2006-03-20, 12:21 PM
Maxwell was able to use his sneaky advantage to deal a devastating opeing blow to his victims. ... The wielder of Maxwell's Silver Hammer may add 3d6 Sneak Attack damage to their attacks when appropriate, as if they had the ability.

I think "to their attacks when appropriate" should be replaced with "to the first blow against any single foe".

Otherwise, great stuff! I love that song.

Toliudar
2006-03-20, 12:34 PM
LOL. Brilliant, sir.

Devils_Advocate
2006-03-21, 06:20 AM
Ah, I've thought that MSH would make a good artifact, myself. Or rather, an Evil artifact. Forged by some long-forgotten god of reckless murder. Alternately, just a powerful but cursed magic item that (slowly?) turns the wielder into a homicidal maniac.

One criticism, however: If you are putting this into a D&D, you simply must call it "The Silver Hammer of Maxwell". The weird anachronistic humor simply isn't fully complete until you apply the proper naming convention.

Darkie
2006-03-21, 07:20 AM
...I thought this would have something to do with coffee. I think I need to eat breakfast now...

Vaynor
2006-03-21, 08:25 PM
one of the greatest troupes of bards the planes have ever seen.

I totally agree. :P