PDA

View Full Version : Dismissal and partially-applied AMF?

Jack_Simth
2009-06-19, 08:18 PM
Large or larger creatures occupy more than one square at a time, so one could, in theory, be partially inside an AMF, and partially outside an AMF.

Supposing an Extraplanar creature is in such a state when it is Dismissed (successfully - the portion of the critter outside the AMF gets hit by the touch attack, caster beats SR, and the Extraplanar critter fails its save) - what happens?

Lycanthromancer
2009-06-19, 08:20 PM
A catgirl explodes.

Jack_Simth
2009-06-19, 08:21 PM
A catgirl explodes.

Hey now! What does real-world physics have to do with my question?

Keld Denar
2009-06-19, 08:25 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a ruling somewhere that says that if any part of your personage is affected by a spell, then all of your personage is considered to be affected. Thusly, an AMFed Outsider would not be targetable by a Dismissal spell, since you can't cast non-instantaneous Conjourations into an AMF.

Now, off to find a citation of this ruling...

Xefas
2009-06-19, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a ruling somewhere that says that if any part of your personage is affected by a spell, then all of your personage is considered to be affected. Thusly, an AMFed Outsider would not be targetable by a Dismissal spell, since you can't cast non-instantaneous Conjourations into an AMF.

That works both ways. "...if any part of your personage is affected by a spell, then all of your personage is considered to be affected." means that if part of you is affected by Dismissal, the rest of you is also.

Keld Denar
2009-06-19, 08:34 PM
Yea, but you can't be the target of a spell (Dismissal) if you are AMFed. AMF supercedes being able to be affected by a spell explicitly. If the person were partially Solid Fogged, they have their movement limited to 5' per action, but would still be able to be Dismissed because you could touch them.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-19, 08:37 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a ruling somewhere that says that if any part of your personage is affected by a spell, then all of your personage is considered to be affected. Thusly, an AMFed Outsider would not be targetable by a Dismissal spell, since you can't cast non-instantaneo
us Conjourations into an AMF.

Sorry but this is wrong. Said creature should then get amf itself. By being partially in the amf it gets all the benefits of being in it and can attack outside it. That's too good imho. I would say if you are partially in it then you can be targeted by the dismissal and if it succeeds than all of you is dismissed not just part of you :)

Jack_Simth
2009-06-19, 08:37 PM
Oh, hey - here's fuel for the fire:

"Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field."

So... does that mean it gets partially Dismissed? That could get ugly...

JackMage666
2009-06-19, 08:51 PM
Let's hope it's not an Extraplanar Troll, cause then you'll just be creating them through Mitosis.

Lycanthromancer
2009-06-19, 08:53 PM
Oh, hey - here's fuel for the fire:

"Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field."

So... does that mean it gets partially Dismissed? That could get ugly...

For some outsiders (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/xph_gallery/33177.jpg), I don't think it could get much worse.