PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 PrC: Dwarf Tosser

lord of kobolds
2009-06-19, 08:37 PM
This is my first homebrew, so bear with me if it isn't any good.

************************************************** ** ************************************************

Dwarf Tosser
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5xVq37ZVO_Q/R8h0aFBIDKI/AAAAAAAAAPA/-HvyPUJcuvU/s320/dwarf.jpg

Carl Gladstone, the wool merchant, was making his usual trip through Aldenior Gorge. It was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky. He had employed his regular retinue of bodyguards, and suspected that he was in for a pleasant trip. Suddenly, something big and heavy slammed into his head. He staggered, and saw a dwarf sitting in front of him, holding an axe. A minotaur stepped out from behind a rock, holding a dwarf, with a bag on his back. The minotaur brought his arm back for a second throw...

Becoming a dwarf tosser:
You need some basic physical ability, as well good grappling.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
BAB: +5
Size: Medium-Huge
Feats: Athletic, improved unarmed strike, improved grapple
Special: Must have humanoid hands.

Class Skills
The Dwarf Tosser's class skills, and the key ability for each skill, are: Balance (dex), Climb (str), Jump (str), Profession (wis), Sleight of hand (dex), and Tumble (dex)
Skill points at each level: 2+ int modifier

Hit Dice: d8

Dwarf Tosser
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Dwarf Tossing, Tried my Best...

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Trick

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Distance

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Trick

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Good Arm

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Trick

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Quick Draw

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Trick

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|Quick Toss

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Champion Tosser[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: A dwarf tosser gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Dwarf Tossing: You may throw a dwarf, halfling, or gnome wearing light or no armor at an opponent as a standard action. This counts as a thrown weapon with a range increment equal to (str modifier+dex modifier*10 ft.), with a -4 penalty to the attack roll. This penalty is reduced to -2 for a large tosser, and a huge tosser has no penalty. This attack deals damage equal to that of a medium greatclub.

You may pick up a dwarf whom you have pinned with a full round action requiring an opposed grapple check and allowing an attack of opportunity. A tosser using an unwilling dwarf takes a -4 penalty on the attack. If the tosser has a willing dwarf nearby, they may pick up the dwarf with a standard action. Dwarves may also be stored in a bag of holding, handy haversack, etc. In this case, the dwarf may be drawn using a move action.

Tried my best...: If you have the leadership feat, you do not take penalties to your leadership score for your followers dying as a result of being thrown.

Trick: You can now do tricks when you throw a dwarf. Every time you gain this ability, select a trick.

Concuss: You aim for the head, dazing the enemy. The enemy is stunned for 1d4 rounds. If they make a fortitude save equal to 10+your class level+str modifier, they instead are stunned for one round. You deal no damage with this attack.

Facehugger: You throw the dwarf at an opponent's face, where it scratches at the eyes. If you succeed with your attack, the dwarf then makes an attack roll at it's BAB with a -4 penalty. If it succeeds, the opponent is blinded for 2d6 rounds, taking 3d4 damage. If the dwarf rolls a nat 20, the target is instead blinded permanently, dealing 5d4 damage.. If the dwarf's attack roll fails, this attack does no damage. The dwarf you throw must be willing in order for this attack to work.

Take out the legs: By aiming the dwarf at the target's legs, you may make a trip attack against an opponent. Roll this a regular trip attack.

Grab on: You instruct the dwarf to attach itself to the target. If this attack succeeds, the dwarf is automatically considered to be grappling the target. The tossed dwarf must be willing.

Aim for the hands: You attempt to use the dwarf to knock the target's weapon out of their hands. Make an opposed disarm check against the opponent. If you fail, the dwarf takes damage as though the target had scored a critical hit.

Kidney shot: You throw the dwarf at the target's kidneys. Make a ranged attack roll with a -8 penalty. If you succeed, the target is stunned for 1d3 rounds, nauseated for 2d4 rounds thereafter, and then sickened for another 3d6 rounds. This attack deals normal damage.

Blunt toss: Use the dwarf to make a bull rush attack. Treat this as a regular bull rush attack, but with a -4 penalty.

Distance: You are capable of throwing even farther than before. You increase your range increment by 30 ft.

Good Arm: You have truly progressed in the art of dwarf tossing. Your arm is stronger than before, and you have refined your technique. As a result, you recieve a +2 bonus on all attack rolls used for dwarf tossing. The damage dealt by your dwarves is increased to that of a large greatclub. You can also throw armored dwarves. A dwarf wearing medium or heavy armor deals 1d6 extra damage. If the dwarf is wearing spiked armor, the damage is counted as piercing damage.

Quick Draw: You have become quicker at grabbing your dwarves. A pinned dwarf may now be picked up as a standard action, a willing dwarf with a move action, and a stored dwarf as a swift action.

Quick Toss: Your tossing speed has improved. You may now throw more than one dwarf per turn. If you use a full-round action, you may toss a number of dwarves equal to 1/2 of your dex modifier (max 4), each at a -2 penalty. Any number of these throws may be tricks, but you may not use a trick more than once against the same enemy.

Champion Tosser: You have finally mastered the art of dwarf tossing. You recieve a +4 bonus to all attack rolls made with dwarves. In addition, the damage they deal is equal to that of a huge greatclub. Also, instead of the damage you would normally deal, the dwarf can make an attack roll if it is carrying a weapon. Treat this as a charge attack.

Playing a Dwarf Tosser
You have taken dwarf tossing to an art form. You may act as an adventurer, merc, bodyguard, bandit, or you may just travel the world cometing inyour chosen sport.
Combat: You function best at medium range. Given your many disabling attacks, you will function best as the first attacker in an ambush, or as support for your team's tanks. Most tossers can wield a close range weapon, but rarely do so.
Advancement: Advancement among dwarf tossers is usually through competition. Whether it be tournament, individual challenge, or playful rivalry, victory will boost your fame and fortune.
Resources: Low level tossers generally won't have much in the way of resources, usually having to pay out of their own pocket for things. Once they achieve greater fame, they may have an agent to take care of things, and of course the fans will do anything for you.

Dwarf Tossers in the World
Daily Life: A large portion of your time will probably be filled by practice. What you do with the rest of your time largely depends on your chosen career.
Notables: The world's greatest tosser is considered to be Trag Rocksmasher, the Gnoll (fighter 5, rogue 5, dwarf tosser 10. He usually travels around with his entourage, he likes to visit small towns to entertain his fans. Nothing else matters to him except his fans.
Organization There is no formal organization for tossers, but many of them develop a camaraderie, sometimes even friendship. There are some groups that will organize the tournaments, however.

NPC Reaction
Most NPC's will admire professional tossers, while looking down on ameteurs.

Dwarf Tossers in the Game
The PC's will flinch every time they see a dwarf.
Adaptation: This is a rather silly PrC, but it could probably be used in a serious campaign if the fluff was changed a bit.
Encounters: The PC's might encounter tossers traveling to a tournament, or perhaps they will enter a town that is holding a tournament. Professional tossers are unlikely to attack, unless the PC's anger the fans. The PC's also might be attacked by a bandit group with a tosser or two.

Sample Encounter

Sample encounter not completed.

************************************************** **************************************************

Any questions? Balance issues? Suggestions? Comments?

13_CBS
2009-06-19, 08:41 PM
But...but...I thought nobody tosses a dwarf...:smallfrown:

As a side note, would you be able to toss halflings and gnomes with this PrC or is it only dwarves? And I'm assuming that you can't control dwarves you have thrown, right?

Dude, this + Thrallherd = awesome.

TSED
2009-06-19, 08:51 PM
I can see it now.

A huge chain of dwarven dwarf-tossers.

I'm completely confused as to why it needs 8 ranks of Sleight of Hand, though.

Godskook
2009-06-19, 09:00 PM
1)What happens if the character takes Weapon Proficiency(Dwarf) as a feat?

2)I understand the joke, but maybe consider augmenting the abilities to apply to other small creatures. This will help in the tragic case of not having an available dwarf.

3)Consider mingling this with the leadership feat. It seems rather appropriate. Maybe remove penalties for followers dying when thrown.

lord of kobolds
2009-06-19, 09:33 PM
I can see it now.

A huge chain of dwarven dwarf-tossers.

I'm completely confused as to why it needs 8 ranks of Sleight of Hand, though.

I had done the prereq's before anything else, so that was supposed to be for manual dexterity (scooping up dwarves, pulling dwarves out of a bag...)
It was mostly to make it a level 5 min.

I'm gonna change it to a BAB +5 instead.

@ Godskook: Adding in suggestions now.

lord of kobolds
2009-06-19, 09:34 PM

I'll admit that most people just stab 'em, but tossing is sometimes appropriate.

Debihuman
2009-06-19, 10:07 PM
Since this feat was accidently left out of OA and was posted seperately for free in the errata so here's all you need. It's an official feat.

Great Throw [General]
You can throw your opponents to the ground, choosing where they land and dealing damage in the process.

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Dexterity 13+, Dodge, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes

Benefit: When you make a successful unarmed trip attack against a creature no larger than your own size, you can choose where the creature lands, within the area you threaten. In addition, you deal your normal unarmed strike damage to the opponent. When you use this option, however, you may not make a followup melee attack using the Improved Trip feat.

This should be a requirement.

Debby

Godskook
2009-06-19, 10:49 PM
1)I still want to know, what happens if someone takes that proficiency. And, I want to know if Weapon Focus(Dwarf) is available as well:)

2)I was kinda thinking goblins, since I like that comic so much. Couldn't it be 'any small creature', or possibly 'any creature smaller than you'?

3)Why does it take longer to grab the willing dwarf next to you than it does to grab the dead one in your backpack?(I assume they're dead, since the air supply isn't exactly plentiful) I mean, getting anything out of one of those requires a move action normally, and nothing about the player's speed is going to really change how the haversack or bag of holding works.

4)Thinking about it, it'd make sense if throwing dwarves worked off your strength score instead of dexterity(as normal).

erikun
2009-06-20, 12:16 AM
1.) If the Dwarf readys an action, can they take a full attack after being thrown?

2.) Can you enchant Dwarves with the Returning ability?

3.) If a Dwarven Dwarf Tosser enchanted with Returning somehow throws himself, does he return to the spot he was thrown, or to the spot he is currently standing?

Innis Cabal
2009-06-20, 12:27 AM
A nit pick, know its a joke. But Dwarf's are medium sized characters. Really can't pull them out of anywhere

Trodon
2009-06-20, 02:14 AM
THANK YOU!!!any way this is a cool class and once again thank you

Debihuman
2009-06-20, 03:36 AM
How could I forget the Fling Ally and Fling Enemy Feats from Races of Stone. It's PERFECT but the requirements are tough: Str 19 and rock hurling or racial ability to throw rocks.

Debby

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-20, 10:49 AM
I'd suggest changing the name from Dwarf Tosser to something else like Dwarf Hurler, just to clarify that this prestige class is about throwing dwarves at people rather than obnoxious dwarves masturbating.

Tosser is english slang.

woodenbandman
2009-06-20, 11:40 AM
Hmm.

Few abilities are messed up:

No save stun is awful. Wayy too powerful. Anyone who doesn't happen to be immune to stunning is out of the battle for good. Negate the stunning on a successful save. Stunned for 1 round on a failed save. Monks already get pooped on enough, and 1d4 round stunning on a failed save infinite number of times per day at will is... yeah. Also don't forget the potential abuse of this combined with, say, War Mind or Hulking Hurler.

Facehugger: should work, you probably won't have dwarves of a high enough level to actually hit, unless you have leadership. Just make this take the dwarf in question's turn (or at least one of their actions).

Kidney Shot: offer a fortitude save. Also it's too strong. Way stronger than the no save stun (hitting on a -8 is too easy). Nix this entirely. Turn this into stunned for 1 round on a failed save, normal damage regardless.

Change quick toss to the ability to make iterative attacks with dwarves.

Give this full Base Attack Bonus and a good fortitude save.

Nero24200
2009-06-20, 11:41 AM
Just to claifry, if the thrown dwarf has scout levels does he get the skirmish damage?

Calmar
2009-06-20, 03:32 PM
prestige class is about [...] obnoxious dwarves masturbating.

I wonder if that wouldn't be a worthwhile PrC, too... :smallconfused:

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-20, 08:03 PM
I wonder if that wouldn't be a worthwhile PrC, too... :smallconfused:

Ranged attack which causes blindness, twice per day?

Cieyrin
2009-06-20, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately, you can't really get Weapon Proficiency with a creature, really, as they're not really weapons. Otherwise, I SO would have a Goliath monk w/ Unorthodox Flurry(Halfling), no question.

Now, my question is what happens if you use Throwing Gnomes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46162) as your ammunition? Some awesome synergies, that's what! >=D

TSED
2009-06-20, 09:44 PM
Just to claifry, if the thrown dwarf has scout levels does he get the skirmish damage?

He should, yes.

Ranged attack which causes blindness, twice per day?

Pfft, 'twice a day.' Make it con dependent or something.

Roderick_BR
2009-06-21, 03:51 PM

As a side note, would you be able to toss halflings and gnomes with this PrC or is it only dwarves? And I'm assuming that you can't control dwarves you have thrown, right?

Dude, this + Thrallherd = awesome.
They do... but don't tell anyone.

To the OP: Can my dwarf make a full attack to the opponent after being thrown? :smalltongue:

Just something you may find interesting: There is a set of feats in the book "Races of Stone", that actually allows you to grab and throw people, including the "Fling Ally" feat, that allows you to throw allies without them falling prone (with an hillatious picture of a goliath throwing a gnome(or halfling), armed with two weapons, at an orc).

BlueWizard
2009-06-21, 03:57 PM
Dwarves everywhere are shaking their head.

Dagren
2009-06-21, 04:04 PM
Dwarves everywhere are shaking their head.Shaking their heads, or sharpening their axes?