PDA

View Full Version : variant paladins

Ing
2006-03-19, 03:24 AM
due to a lack of good gods in my recent campaign i'm trying to come up with variant paladins to mix things up, can someone give me an idea on the variang paladins here?

Totem Paladins: for those worlds where there are few good gods or where the law is not just there are the Paladins of Totem. they draw their power from the primal forces of nature, much like druids, but strive to use their powers to restore order and balance to unjust or evil worlds.

Paladin of the Moon
instead of aura of good: Dark vision
instead of detect evil: detect hidden, (paladin can use this ability instead of detect evil, same progression, to detect if something in the area 100 ft area, has been altered or is being hidden or obscured certian spells can bluff it just as detect evil can be bluffed.
instead of smite evil: Darkness, Paladin casts teh area in a pale light that saps the visability from the area, affecting as if a darkness spell. Paladin and allies are immune to this effect.
instead of devine health: Moon beams, paladin gains fast heaing while bathing in the moon light, (effectivly gaining 1 hp per level per hour they are in the moon light. on the new moon they gain no effect,. in the full moon fi they bathe their body for more than an hour in the light their body is restored curing them of any ability damage, disease, and restoring full hit points
instead of turn undead: turn lycantrophe.

Paladin of Sun
instead of aura of good: sun kissed, paladin gains a moral bonus of +1 while fighitng in direct sun light.
instead of smite evil: halo, paladin can radiate pure sunlight blinding those who fail to sheild there eyes and burning creatures weak to sunlight.
instead of devine healing: paladin recovers at a rate of 1 point per level per hour they are bathed in sunlight.

Paladin of Thunder
instead of aura of good: thunder bless, gain immunity to electrical attacks
instead of smite evil: shocking grasp, as the spell.
instead of diving health: battery, paladin absorbes 1 temp hp for every 5 pts of electrical damage.
instead of lay on hands: shock, can deal electircal damage equal to paladin level times chas mod. once per ay.

Paladin of earth
instead of aura of good: steady feet, becomes immune to knock over as long as they stand on exposed freash earth barefoot
instead of smite evil: rock fist: as smite evil but non-alignment, fist becomes hard like a brick
instead of devine health: earth bless, recovers 1 hp per level per hour as long as bare skin touches exposed earth, bathing in mud for an hour recovers from disease.
turn undead: turn earth, can turn earth elementals or burrowing creatures

Paladin of Air
instead of aura of good: aura of wind, gains +2 agianst ranged arrows
instead of smite evil: impact, player can focus a pulse of air to flow through their fist for a blow, as smite evil but gives knockback.
instead of lay on hands: control wind as spell
instead of turn undead: turn aerial creatures
instead of special mount/wing speed, gains +10 speed per 4 levels.

Paladin of Beasts
instead of aura of good: beast grip, gains improved graple
instead of detect evil: detect fuana, can detect animal life
instead of smite evil: beast strength: as smite evil but not pertaining to alignment, and only to natural weapons
turn undead: tame animal, can turn or sway animal and beasts, (turn them or attempt a tame animal with cha added)
instead of aura of curouage, primal aura: gives a frightful presence equal to 10+ every 2 paladin levels.
instead of special mount: beast walker, gains land speed +10 per every 4 levels

Paladin of Chaos
instead of aura of good: aura of chaos
instead of detect evil, detect law
instead of smite evil, confuse: as spell
instead of turn undead: turn order, turns overly orderly things like lawful outsiders and constructs.
instead of divine health: divine chaos, immune to gaes and mind control effects

Paladin of Order
instead of aura of good: aura of law
instead of detect evil: detect chaos
instead of smite evil: smite chaos
instead of turn undead: turn chaos
insted of divine health: Divine order: immune to confusion , insanity and mind baffling effects

Paladin of Luck
instead of aura of good: aura of chaos
instead of smite evil: jynx, target gets a 50% chance to get a penalty equal to paladin level on each roll
instead of lay on hands: touch of luck, targets gets a bonus to one roll, from a pool of cha mod times paladin level per day, can be done all at once or over multiple incriments
instead of divine health: Lucky health: can chose to reroll a fort save, but must take the reroll even if it is lower
instead of remove disease: lucky break, gives a 1d6 bonus to one roll to target.
instead of aura of courage, aura of luck, gets a bonus to cha checks instead of agianst fear saves

Paladin of Fire
instead of aura of good: fire aura, deals 1d4-3 to creatures in unarmed threat range, (min 0)
instead of smite evil: flame touch: as smite evil but bathes the attack in elemental fire
instead of lay on hands: burn: can deal cha mod X pali level fire damage per day to a range equal to burning hands
instead of divine health: fire born, fire resistence
instead of turn undead: turn fire, can turn elementals,
instead of special mount: control fire
instead of remove disease: fireball, as spell. same casting limitations as remove disease though

Paladin of water
aura of good replaced by water breathing
instead of smite evil: water whip, deals 1d6+paladin level water damage to the range of a normal whip.
instead of detect evil: purify evli
instead of lay on hands: healing water, as lay on hands but infuses the healing water into energy turning it into healing potions of predecided recovery
instead of turn undead: turn aquatic
instead of special mount: control water

so far that's all i have but i'll add more based on the domains later and add the limitations each have instead of a code. what do you think so far though?

Orion-the-G
2006-03-19, 03:30 AM
Well one thing I have to wonder is why are you replacing Aura of good with something that actually provides a benefit? unless it has some secret usefullness I'm unaware of all it means is that paladin's detect as really, really good when detect good is used on them. translating that into even a +1 bonus seems excessive.

Also to be perfectly honest they don't seem much like paladins anymore. They might as well be their own new class rather than basing them around the paladin.

Donsic
2006-03-19, 04:08 PM
Agreed. Plus paladins can be paladins of an ideal, they don't have to worship any gods. Thats why warforged can be pallies. I think you made a buch of differnt african american shamen/druids varient things.

The Glyphstone
2006-03-19, 06:19 PM
Well, I like them. Not sure, again, why you're trading Aura of Good for something useful. I'd say Paladin of Fire and Luck are the most powerful.

For the Paladin of Water, did you mean Cold damage? There's no such thing as Water damage normally.

And since you described them as "they draw their power from the primal forces of nature, much like druids, but strive to use their powers to restore order and balance to unjust or evil worlds"...not sure why the Paladin of Chaos is there.

I do agree that there's not much keeping them as Paladins anymore except the name, since you've changed almost every single class feature.

Orion-the-G
2006-03-19, 06:22 PM
Thematically these seem much more like some variant of rangers to me. the only real thing they seem to have in common with the paladin is the fact that they gain their abilities at the same level a paladin would.

I'm asusming that they don't fall under the same alignment restrictions as a paladin otherwise a paladin of Chaos makes no sense at all.

Illsbane
2006-03-19, 06:26 PM
This makes me think of a prestige class I'd been meaning to work out: The True Paladin. Basically any Good alignment is game, but the True Paladin must still strive for the upholding of Good and of righteous laws.

Ing
2006-03-19, 09:13 PM
yes perhaps paladin is out. i scraped the idea, better to use it as a core class of soemthing else. but if anyone has any sugestions on these class systems as a whole minus faux paladin, i'd like to know. might be a good idea to drop the aura thing i'll consider it.

Orion-the-G
2006-03-19, 09:14 PM
I really hope the paladin of fire can turn his ability off, otherwise he's in real trouble if he wants to do something like wear pants.

Ing
2006-03-19, 09:21 PM
good point, but i think he himelf would be excluded from his own effects. i'll juggle around some stuff, add some diffrent stuff, perhaps change the name. that sort of thing. if anyone is still interestemd in them once i change them i'll post up the revised. would be an interesting class system for a campaign if someoen wanted to try it.

Orion-the-G
2006-03-19, 09:24 PM
No I know that most things like that don't affect worn or carried possesions but it affects everything in an area around him. He couldn't pick up cloth or paper objects, he couldn't lay down on a bed, he couldn't walk across the ground without leaving a trail of ash. Heck even though it's not strong enough to pierce it's hardness the flames would certainly scorch wood and kick up smoke, no civilized society would welcome him, and he wouldn't be very popular in the forest during those dry summers and autumns.

Ing
2006-03-19, 09:52 PM
ok if you don't like the idea fine, but there's no need to mock it by arguing to the absurd.

Orion-the-G
2006-03-19, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry I wasn't intending to mock it, but if someone is surrounded by a constant aura of fire that's exactly what would happen, it's not absurd at all.

Donsic
2006-03-19, 10:47 PM
I like fire... it burns stuff... I like burning stuff. Maybe it is my goal to set the world alite with my arua of burnity. All will bow before my firey might and... hey whats that fire extinguisher for... No please... so...cold.
Hehehe. I like that fire man it would be entertaining.

MalachorWraith
2006-03-20, 12:36 AM
I like fire... it burns stuff... I like burning stuff. Maybe it is my goal to set the world alit with my arua of burnity. All will bow before my firey might and... hey whats that fire extinguisher for... No please... so...cold.

Hehehe. I like that fire man it would be entertaining.

Now THAT is mocking it, lol.

I think aura of fire would more imply that AT WILL the person could do that kind of damage. I would also think that kind of thing would be a better prestige class than base class.

carebear
2006-03-20, 05:31 AM
i liked them. good idea. Just a paladin thats based around good actions and these... kinda druidish but kinda paladinish. i like em.

Donsic
2006-03-20, 04:28 PM
Now THAT is mocking it, lol.

I think aura of fire would more imply that AT WILL the person could do that kind of damage. I would also think that kind of thing would be a better prestige class than base class.

No, no, no. Yet again I am missunderdstood. I wasn't mocking anything, merely expressing my sincere love of fire and generally destroying things. It really would enjoy causeing fire everywhere. I also believe that I was only using the previous post by Orien-the-G. At least ING had the balls to post his ideas here (more then I can say about myself). I believe it is important to use construtive critisim, mocking people is niether constructive nor poliet. I like to believe that I am better then that. I am ashamed... ashamed.

Ing
2006-03-21, 07:52 PM
all right so instead i'm gonna tweak the ideas and post them as a series of intitial classes, good for a campiagn that wants to try heavy elemental influences or something along those lines. thanks for the feedback