PDA

View Full Version : Small characters with smaller weapons

Jair Barik
2009-06-20, 06:05 AM
A question regarding the use of small weapons in 3.5 with the two weapon fighting feat.

As a halfling with the feat if I was to dual wield a kukri knife would I only get -2 to my to hit score with each weapon? Kukris used to be tiny so would I be allowed to use the full 1d4 or would I still be reduced to 1d3 for using a small characters weapon?

Also is the kukri now a martial weapon?

Chineselegolas
2009-06-20, 06:27 AM
Any weapon can be any size. Kukri is a light martial (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#martialWeapons)weapon in 3.5 so if you do have two weapon fighting you are using a small Kukri which is 1d3 damage, 18-29/x2 crit and the -2 penalties to hit from using two light weapons.

TSED
2009-06-20, 06:48 AM
A question regarding the use of small weapons in 3.5 with the two weapon fighting feat.

As a halfling with the feat if I was to dual wield a kukri knife would I only get -2 to my to hit score with each weapon? Kukris used to be tiny so would I be allowed to use the full 1d4 or would I still be reduced to 1d3 for using a small characters weapon?

Also is the kukri now a martial weapon?

If you keep kukris for medium-sized characters, you gain a -4 penalty to hit.

Not worth the 1d4, basically.

Jair Barik
2009-06-20, 06:54 AM
Thx

Can't wait to get high enough lvl for improved critical on the kukri and enough gold for magical flaming burst kukris :smallbiggrin:

TSED
2009-06-20, 06:57 AM
Thx

Can't wait to get high enough lvl for improved critical on the kukri and enough gold for magical flaming burst kukris :smallbiggrin:

I'd just get keen kukris, a little bit of gold is so worth two feats.

Chineselegolas
2009-06-20, 07:00 AM
I'd just get keen kukris, a little bit of gold is so worth two feats.

Or Scabbard of Keen Edges (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#scabbardofKeenEdges) and use the +1 effective enhancement to buy something else.

Jair Barik
2009-06-20, 07:08 AM
eh.. still tempted to go with the feat. 1 feat and both get a permanent double crit range. Also theres that other feat I think that gives +4 to hit on a crit or something

I have combat rflxs so i can crit anyone who comes near me and was considering some cleave feats in order to get more kills

Eurantien
2009-06-20, 07:18 AM
eh.. still tempted to go with the feat. 1 feat and both get a permanent double crit range. Also theres that other feat I think that gives +4 to hit on a crit or something

I have combat rflxs so i can crit anyone who comes near me and was considering some cleave feats in order to get more kills

It's your character. Just ask yourself if crit on a d3 is worth a feat.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-20, 07:20 AM
Kukris used to be tiny so would I be allowed to use the full 1d4 or would I still be reduced to 1d3 for using a small characters weapon?

Just felt like adding some clarification on the difference between weapon size and actual object size....

Kukris are light melee weapons, therefore a kukri made for a Medium creature is a Tiny-sized item. A Small creature could wield it as a one-handed weapon, but would take the -2 for using an inappropriately sized weapon. A kukri made for a Small creature is actually Diminutive.

A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one-handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon is an object of the same size category as the wielder.

Chineselegolas
2009-06-20, 08:21 AM

You can't power attack with a light weapon (Or rather there is no point, you don't get the penalty as extra damage). Sneak attack dice aren't doubled so your damage potential is very low. Also combat reflexes won't help, cleave is once a round, so unless you are doing something very complex to make the opponent provoke half a dozen times and poke them to death...

And Improved Critical is to only one weapon, not permanently double. Scabbard of Keen Edges is whatever weapon you draw from it. Though I suppose if you are afraid of loosing all your gear...

Jair Barik
2009-06-20, 08:47 AM
The cleave would then progress to greater cleave (sorry forgot to mention that)
Also I knew improved crits was one weapon type. What I meant was that taking the feat makes all my kukris keen so... no spending money on keen upgrade and no need to buy two scabbards (though 1 can be used for 2 weapons in theory the effect would still run out due to time or dispel)
+the whole no fear of equipment loss is nice yeah

Chineselegolas
2009-06-20, 08:55 AM
Even with great cleave and you can cleave more than once a round, I'm curious where you are planning to get the damage from to drop people.
Suppose the feat that allows sneak attack on criticals if not flanking might be a way to get the damage, but flanking is nearly always achievable.

Jair Barik
2009-06-20, 09:05 AM
the damage in question is geared more towards weak mobs, exploiting the fact that i get area effect on crits. Against larger critters I can either focus all my attacks or try some warlcok power to channel through my weapon.

Chineselegolas
2009-06-20, 09:13 AM
i get area effect on crits
Flaming burst is only extra damage on the target, its not an explosion. From another source?

warlock power to channel through my weapon.If you are a warlock, melee isn't the place for you unless using Eldritch Glaive. The Hideous Blow invocation only affects one attack, activating it provokes, and the extra damage won't multiply on critical.
Not sure if it would cleave through... But that would be a way to hew through mooks