PDA

View Full Version : How much warning is enough?

Ghostwheel
2009-06-20, 06:10 AM
When you are the DM, how do you decide how much to warn your players that a significant and/or dangerous encounter is about to occur?

I have had some bad experiences where, in retrospect, I should have given some signal to the players that they needed to "gird up" but did not. I have also ran encounters that the players were given too many hints.

Where, and how, do you draw the line?:smallcool:

Gaiyamato
2009-06-20, 06:14 AM
My players start to get the point when I start describing things in reeeeeaaalllly fine detail.

JeminiZero
2009-06-20, 06:19 AM
My players start to get the point when I start describing things in reeeeeaaalllly fine detail.

Because of something like this (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1213)?

Xenre
2009-06-20, 06:30 AM
I give them no warning whatsoever. They are supposed to be seasoned warriors and adventurers. An axiom as old a time: Expect the unexpected.

If they aren't prepared, they suffer the consequences.

The dice don't care whose side you are on. Good? Bad? I'm the one with the Crit.

Ghostwheel
2009-06-20, 06:39 AM
Because of something like this (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1213)?

Supercool. Have a :smallcool:

Ghostwheel
2009-06-20, 06:42 AM
I give them no warning whatsoever. They are supposed to be seasoned warriors and adventurers. An axiom as old a time: Expect the unexpected.

If they aren't prepared, they suffer the consequences.

The dice don't whose side you are on. Good? Bad? I'm the one with the Crit.

I think that you meant that "the dice don't know which side you are on."

True, but the DM needs to try and keep it fun for everybody. Including himself.

Narmoth
2009-06-20, 07:06 AM
Listen and spot-checks maybe. But really, they should expect to be attacked at any time without warning

ghost_warlock
2009-06-20, 07:11 AM
Listen and spot-checks maybe. But really, they should expect to be attacked at any time without warning

...by a mindflayer riding a beholder.

Irreverent Fool
2009-06-20, 07:27 AM
Players will continue to do stupid things from time to time.

I once had a party of appropriately paranoid adventurers running through a labyrinth. When they reached the central chamber, the mage boldly stepped forward. I described the chamber as made of the same stone but blackened and charred, along with a pair of black skeletons laying in heaps near the sides of the wall. He wisely cast detect magic and I told him there was a moderate aura of evocation lingering in the room.

He walks in and steps on the fireball trap and dies spectacularly in a 10d10 explosion of pure awesome.

The player was mad and said 'how was I supposed to know there was a trap?'

obnoxious
sig

Josh the Aspie
2009-06-20, 08:03 AM
For PBP games, I make an int / wis / knowledge / survival / etc check for each of the characters involved who has any reasonable chance of knowing the information.

For example, if they're talking about putting a halfling in a portable hole, or taking a handy haversack into a rope trick, I do a silent knowledge: arcana roll. If they make a reasonable check, depending on the effect (say, 15 for the above example), I quote the relevant passage of the text to them in a PM, and then leave it at that. If they still choose to go ahead with it, I let them. It's their choice.

Or I might roll a spellcraft check for a spell-caster that is about to cast a spell that will envelop his allies, if I think he isn't thinking about it.

The players should really already know the effects and rules as written on their equipment or spells. This is meta-knowledge. At this point, I'm testing to see if their characters remembered something they did not, and giving them another chance at not being teh shtuupit.

Shinizak
2009-06-20, 11:45 AM
Players will continue to do stupid things from time to time.

I once had a party of appropriately paranoid adventurers running through a labyrinth. When they reached the central chamber, the mage boldly stepped forward. I described the chamber as made of the same stone but blackened and charred, along with a pair of black skeletons laying in heaps near the sides of the wall. He wisely cast detect magic and I told him there was a moderate aura of evocation lingering in the room.

He walks in and steps on the fireball trap and dies spectacularly in a 10d10 explosion of pure awesome.

The player was mad and said 'how was I supposed to know there was a trap?'

obnoxious
sig

Was he that much a 'tard? Saying that there is an evocation ANYTHING is like saying "do you open the spiked chest with the blood stained target in front of it?"

aivanther
2009-06-20, 11:54 AM
I've never been a DM, but I, as a player, am a firm believer in RPG Darwinism, the stupid die and either learn from their mistakes or get killed so many times they give up.

I had one part that the thief chose the marching order in the middle of group, ranger in the back, with the gnome mage up front. My monk politely suggested a scout and some more beef upfront. Apparently, the gnome thought he was sneaky, so he went scouting...

Then, DM finally had it (or so I though anyway), and when the gnome wizard tried to flank a group of goblins, they spitted him pretty bad. My monk, a Lawful Neutral guy who had long established his idea of universal karma, nodded solemnly at him as he died, telling him he got what he deserved.

Interestingly, *I* was the one ejected from that group. Ah well, not a group worth playing with anyway.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-06-20, 11:59 AM
Because people tend to react poorly to being told their characters' deaths are deserved? Lack of caution IRL is worse than lack of caution in-game.

Altima
2009-06-20, 12:16 PM
None? Since switching to 4e, most of the powers can be used repeatedly in a day. Once the party starts getting curb-stomped, and their encounter powers aren't cutting it, their reasoning for using daily powers switches to "Well, I can't use these if I'm dead!"

I admit that it is a tad harder in 3.5, what with spell hording and such.

Still, whenever I design campaigns, I always make a few cut-out plans in case of a party wipe. It's not on purpose (usually), but sometimes whether through a miscalculation of mob strength, bad luck, or player stupidity, it happens.

Oh, FYI, wizards really hate being sold into slavery and losing their spell/ritual books. Same with warriors and their +1 swords of asskicking. But serves them right, in some cases.

quick_comment
2009-06-20, 12:21 PM
It depends on the encounter.

Telling them that beyond the door they smell a dragon is ok.

Having a bunch of ninjas drop down from the ceiling without warning is also ok. It depends on the encounter.

annoyinglizardv
2009-06-20, 02:14 PM
However much warning makes sense plot-wise.
A battle can be spotted from miles away, but a supprise raid isn't going to give an advanced warning or anything.
Supprise traps are okay as long as there's some sense to them being there. A castle (currently lived) isn't going to have anyway near as many traps as long sealed tomb.