PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Epic Abilities before Epic Level

Forrestfire
2009-06-20, 10:29 AM
Hi; I was looking over my books, and I want to know: how many ways can a level < 20 character achieve epic abilities?

So here are the ones I found so far:
1. Pun-pun (duh)
2. Soulknife 12/Soulbow 8 with practiced mind blade. You have the abilities of a level 16 soulknife (+4 mind blade/+3 enchantment) and a level 8 soulbow (+2 mind arrow and blade/+2 arrow enchantment)

this ends up with you having a +6 mind blade and +6 mind arrows (as the enchantment bonus stacks). The enchantments don't stack however, sadly.

--------------
So what other ways has the playground found? If you have any, post them here!:smallsmile:

Foryn Gilnith
2009-06-20, 10:32 AM
This isn't the most optimal build, but...

Savage Bard 5/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8/Eunuch Warlock 5 gets an obscene amount of 9th-level spell slots per day, but more importantly gets 10th-level spell slots pre-epic.

Flickerdart
2009-06-20, 10:36 AM
Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold can take Epic feats at 1st level.

Keld Denar
2009-06-20, 10:36 AM
Venerable Dragonwraught Kobalds qualify for epic feats because they are

A) effectively True Dragons
B) older than "old" aged True Dragons

Therefore, they can take any Epic feat they qualify for, which does include the stat booster feats.

EDIT: Gah, I should have said Venerable Dragonwraught Kobald NINJAS!

Chineselegolas
2009-06-20, 10:42 AM
Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold.
Counting as dragon and with ageing catagories, nice bit of Gouda

With levels in Ninja?...

mostlyharmful
2009-06-20, 12:59 PM
Gate in an epic minion? get your circle magic on as a red wizard.

Oh, and the soulbow thing isn't all that epic it seems, sure the numbers are high enough but you can do similar things with Bane enchantments and such, big +s aren't all that epic it seems to me.

iain62a
2009-06-20, 01:07 PM
This isn't the most optimal build, but...

Savage Bard 5/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8/Eunuch Warlock 5 gets an obscene amount of 9th-level spell slots per day, but more importantly gets 10th-level spell slots pre-epic.

Wait...

Eunuch Warlock?

Are you being serious?

Flickerdart
2009-06-20, 01:10 PM
Wait...

Eunuch Warlock?

Are you being serious?
BoEF, I figure, which is incidentally 3rd party.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-20, 01:14 PM
BoEF, I figure, which is incidentally 3rd party.Not BoEF. I don't know where that's from.

Also, Epic skill checks are doable pre-epic. Some non-epic feats are better than the Epic ones(Extra Magic Item Slot>=Extra Ring).

Foryn Gilnith
2009-06-20, 01:25 PM
Oriental Adventures. 3.0, but more canon than Book of Erotic Fantasy. It gets new spells each level as the Dragon Disciple does, but far more; and at 5th and 10th level gives you +1 level of spell available to prepare (1/day + score bonus, I think, I'd have to check). With Ur-Priest, you can abuse this to get 10th-level spells.

theMycon
2009-06-20, 01:44 PM
Also, Epic skill checks are doable pre-epic. Bluff is particularly easy to do at even mid-levels, with Glibness. It's basically a few hours of having suggestion as an at-will free action SLA.
"What do you mean the sun's still there? No, it's an illusion- stare for a while and you'll see right through it."
"These are not the drow you're looking for. Oh, and by the way, you're looking for drow, not a band of gnomes."
"You'll never remember what I did for you, but you'll do anything to pay me back for it."

Jump is even easier to get into the stratosphere, but unfortunately it lacks epic uses other than mimicking flyby attacks.

tribble
2009-06-20, 02:04 PM
is there a metamagic feat that reduces the effective level of a spell?
cause that could give you nerfed epic magic... sounds fun right?

Eldariel
2009-06-20, 02:09 PM
Jump is even easier to get into the stratosphere, but unfortunately it lacks epic uses other than mimicking flyby attacks.

Hence why you take few levels of Exemplar and mimic a Diplomacy-check with Jump to convert people to Fanaticism.

theMycon
2009-06-20, 03:10 PM
Hence why you take few levels of Exemplar and mimic a Diplomacy-check with Jump to convert people to Fanaticism.

If I remember correctly, you can do it with whatever skill you want, correct?

I think it'd be more realistic to do with bluff. "Your lies have filled me with an unquenchable love for you, and despite having finally seen through them, I still live to serve you and do as you manipulated me into doing."

Better yet: Just mentioning Santa Claus will suddenly enter the being into a hypersuggestive state, wherein you can demand anything from the subject. Like brainwashing, only cuter.

Glimbur
2009-06-20, 04:12 PM
A sufficiently high level Incarnate (18th) can swing a +6 or more magic weapon before 21st level. Sadly, they have Wizard BAB and cannot let anyone else use the weapon, so the utility of this is questionable.

Keld Denar
2009-06-20, 04:35 PM
If I remember correctly, you can do it with whatever skill you want, correct?

Correct. While tough to boost, I think the best use of this would be Hide.

I DON'T KNOW WHERE HE IS, BUT I FEEL COMPELLED TO FOLLOW HIM!

Diplomacy is actually easier to boost. Something like a Halfelf Bard/Marshall/Binder/DragonDisciple/Warlock/DragonfireAdept/Exemplar can easily get a Dip check over 200 and Diplomatize someone as a full round action.

Uin
2009-06-20, 04:44 PM
Artificers and Extra Rings.

PS: Keith signed my Eberron books today, how cool is that!?

Faleldir
2009-06-20, 04:59 PM
Psion 3/ Wizard 3/ Cerebremancer 10 with Psiotheurgist and Cerebremetamagic
manifester level for a chosen discipline: 23
Caster level for a chosen school: 23
You can apply any number of metamagic feats to a spell without changing spell level by spending enough power points. There is no limit; the example shows a spell being augmented beyond the Wizard's highest known level.

Starbuck_II
2009-06-20, 05:13 PM
A sufficiently high level Incarnate (18th) can swing a +6 or more magic weapon before 21st level. Sadly, they have Wizard BAB and cannot let anyone else use the weapon, so the utility of this is questionable.

Use Magic Device for Divine power scroll= full bab and +'s to Str for a few rounds. Then you can fight decently till dispelled.

RTGoodman
2009-06-20, 05:23 PM
Let's not forget that you can get an improved version of the [Epic] Dire Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#direCharge) feat with a 1-level dip in Barbarian with a certain Alternate Class Feature.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-20, 10:28 PM
Psion 3/ Wizard 3/ Cerebremancer 10 with Psiotheurgist and Cerebremetamagic
manifester level for a chosen discipline: 23
Caster level for a chosen school: 23
You can apply any number of metamagic feats to a spell without changing spell level by spending enough power points. There is no limit; the example shows a spell being augmented beyond the Wizard's highest known level.Similarly, an Illumian Heirophant can get CL 25 before using Divine Spell Power, IWin stones, and Beads of Karma. Granted, it costs 5 levels of Spellcasting, but it's great for Holy Word shenanigans.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-20, 11:08 PM

+8, not +6.

4 from levels
+1 from Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (feat)
+2 from class features (Expanded Soulmeld Capacity)
+1 from Incarnum Focus

This coupled with the Incarnate Avatar and Incarnum Radiance class feature can get them an attack bonus of +31 before Str and anything else. UMDing a wand of Divine Power (which is actually really easy, as they can use the Mage's Spectacles) gives them a +41 before Str. A Str score of 30 is easily achievable by 16th level, so that's another +10.

I've optimized an Incarnate to have a +50 to his 4th attack/round. Each attack deals only about 20-30 damage, but he pretty much never misses.