PDA

View Full Version : Modular Longspear?

Bookworm702
2009-06-20, 01:09 PM
Hello, I have been thinking about playing a CG raptoran Cleric. As a CG character, flexibility in combat choices is essential. I was thinking about homebrewing a longspear with detatchable heads. This way i could switch out between three or four spear tips, each given it's own bonuses. I was also thinking about being able to modify staffs and rods for different shafts. What do you guys think?

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-20, 01:11 PM
As a CG character, flexibility in combat choices is essential.

What does alignment have to do with it?

Vadin
2009-06-20, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure I see why being chaotic good means that flexibility in combat is essential, but I think that carrying around multiple magic spears is fine. And yes, that's multiple magic spears, because functionally that's all the different heads would be. Actually witching out the spearhead instead of switching entire spears is pure flavor.

Yora
2009-06-20, 01:19 PM
More interesting is having a spear with extendable shaft.

BRC
2009-06-20, 01:27 PM
I would say it's like 10 gold to have the shaft built so the heads can be swapped out. The only advantage I would give for this would be that you just carry around abunch of spearheads instead of actual spears, so it's easier to carry.

Bookworm702
2009-06-20, 02:40 PM
I would say it's like 10 gold to have the shaft built so the heads can be swapped out. The only advantage I would give for this would be that you just carry around abunch of spearheads instead of actual spears, so it's easier to carry.

Yeah that was basically what i was thinking. But would it be overpowered to use staffs and rods as the spear shaft?

Ashtagon
2009-06-20, 02:54 PM
Realistically, such a weapon would be scarily prone to losing its head in the heat of battle. Just carrying an entire spare spear (or three) does the job so much better.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-20, 02:59 PM
Yeah that was basically what i was thinking. But would it be overpowered to use staffs and rods as the spear shaft?

It shouldn't be, although I might require that the spearhead be taken off to use the staff or rod, which would make them mostly useless during combat. It's really up to your DM, though.

BRC
2009-06-20, 03:04 PM
Realistically, such a weapon would be scarily prone to losing its head in the heat of battle. Just carrying an entire spare spear (or three) does the job so much better.
I can think of a couple simple mechanisms with which to hold a spearhead in place. The simplest would be to screw it in. This would require modifications of both the spearhead and the shaft itself, but it's easy enough, and it means you don't have to carry as much around with you.

DracoDei
2009-06-20, 05:18 PM
Unless you also have some sort of tight fitting cross-pin it might come unscrewed if it got parried just right, or when trying to pull it out of a fallen foe (if you weren't careful).

Lert, A.
2009-06-20, 06:39 PM
It stays on.

Magic.

Bookworm702
2009-06-20, 06:52 PM
Thanks everyone, your thoughts have been a big help.:smallbiggrin:

imp_fireball
2009-06-21, 02:54 PM
More interesting is having a spear with extendable shaft.

Try D20 Modern.

Unless you also have some sort of tight fitting cross-pin it might come unscrewed if it got parried just right, or when trying to pull it out of a fallen foe (if you weren't careful).

Just as likely as a sword breaking without someone else sundering it, or a regular spear head popping off of a shaft as might be the case with any longspear in real life.

In any case, any weapon maker who creates such a spear and with half a mind would include that.

But would it be overpowered to use staffs and rods as the spear shaft?

Personally, I'd probably rule that it's easier to sunder, or even does less damage. A proper shaft should be strong enough for use as a spear... it also wouldn't be as easy to deflect with a sword (realistically). Also, long spear shafts give reach. Staffs and rods don't.