PDA

View Full Version : 4TH Edition Monk Beta

falconire
2009-06-20, 02:54 PM
I need to import a seventh level monk from 3.5 into fourth for an upcoming adventure. I heard the beta is out for the monk in 4th, but I can't find it. Does anyone know if it really is, or where I can find it? (A link would be awesome).

Morty
2009-06-20, 03:00 PM
First, I think it's only for D&D Insider subscribers.

Artanis
2009-06-20, 03:00 PM
I think you need DDI for the beta. It should be coming out soon anyways.

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-20, 03:04 PM
I think you need DDI for the beta. It should be coming out soon anyways.

Um, phb3 is next year, dude.

RTGoodman
2009-06-20, 03:09 PM
For what it's worth, if you DO have a D&D Insider account (or choose to get one), here's the Monk Playtest (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090511) article.

NPCMook
2009-06-20, 03:14 PM
Getting it for a month for access to a whole class isn't that bad honestly, but if you choose to do so, do it before July 7th when they are increasing the price of membership

Artanis
2009-06-20, 03:48 PM
Um, phb3 is next year, dude.

Oh. I thought it was sooner than that. Maybe I was thinking of something else then :smallredface:

falconire
2009-06-20, 04:55 PM
Damn, I was hoping somebody had the monk info in a download or something.

Gralamin
2009-06-20, 05:21 PM

That would be illegal.

Elder Wraith
2009-06-20, 05:23 PM
Oh. I thought it was sooner than that. Maybe I was thinking of something else then :smallredface:

What, Like DMG2?

Rockphed
2009-06-20, 05:25 PM
When they first released 4th edition there were several conversion guides. Are they still extant?

RTGoodman
2009-06-20, 05:27 PM

When they first released 4th edition there were several conversion guides. Are they still extant?

Well, it's not the same, but WotC did do a "Converting Your Character" (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20080613a) article right after 4E came out that had a way to play a "monk" without the 4E Monk class.

Monk

At a glance, the player with a 3E monk might think that he’s out of luck until the 4E monk releases—there’s no unarmored, unarmed melee fighter option anywhere in the Player’s Handbook. However, with your DM’s permission you can create a martial-arts striker who captures much of the monk’s style by following this process:

1. Choose the two-blade ranger build (p104). (Don’t worry, this will make sense in a minute.)

2. Give up your leather and hide armor proficiencies, gaining a +3 bonus to AC when wearing no armor or cloth armor. You’re now only a point behind the normal ranger’s AC.

3. Gain a +2 bonus to Will defense (in addition to the ranger’s normal defense bonuses).

4. Replace Dungeoneering and Nature on your class skill list with Arcana, Diplomacy, Insight, and Religion. Choose five trained skills from your class list.

5. Give up your martial weapon proficiencies. Grant your unarmed strike a +3 proficiency bonus, increase the damage to 1d8, and add the off-hand property. Now you’re wielding two melee weapons that are as good as the martial melee options available to the ranger.

6. Rename Hunter’s Quarry as Monastic Battle Focus, and lose the Prime Shot class feature. (You thought you were getting that +2 bonus to Will for free, didn’t you?)

7. Focus on mobility-oriented powers, particularly those that reward a high Wisdom score (such as evasive strike, yield ground, and weave through the fray). As desired, you can rename those powers with a flavor that befits your monkish heritage (peerless balance of the crane instead of fox’s cunning, for example).

8. Pick up feats to recreate other 3E monk class features—Evasion, Fleet-Footed, Long Jumper—and use multiclass feats (p209) to replicate the supernatural features. For example, the warlock has several teleportation powers reminiscent of abundant step.

This doesn’t faithfully recreate every element of the 3E monk, but it’s definitely a reasonable stopgap if you’re really committed to sticking with the character. Feel free to experiment with additional tweaks, and by all means please share your results on the D&D message boards!

Mando Knight
2009-06-20, 05:32 PM
They forgot the all-important Steps 9-11:

9.) Take ranged attack powers, renaming them things like "Kamehameha" and "Hadoken."
10.) ???
11.) Profit!

:smalltongue:

Oh, and we do have info available to download. We're just legally obligated not to give it out to anyone who hasn't paid WotC for the privilege of seeing the stuff months before it's officially released.