PDA

View Full Version : Idea for OoTS Story

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-20, 05:39 PM
I had the idea to write a story about the OotS after :xykon:'s defeat. I want ideas for what to write. I plan to make the following assumptions:
1. Xykon is defeated. (no-brainer.)
2. It is around 10 years after current in-comic time.
3. Haley and Elan have married.
4. Celia and Roy have married.
5. Belkar was unmade at Kragor's Gate.
6. Durkon has not died/returned to his homeland.
7. Vaarsivus and Inkyrius have made up, but still feel a bit of resentment.
8. Roy's dad was not yet let into Celestia. (Probably not important.)
9. Tsukiko has been defeated, as has Red cloak, and neither will be likely to appear unless searched for.
10. The MiTD has been revealed, and is not going to appear in the story, because I can't think of what it could be that goes with everything.
These are from a combination of common sense, hope, and what I read in someone else's posts and agreed with.
------------
So, I want ideas for plot and such for this story.

Oh, and I'll post the story when I'm done.

The Blackbird
2009-06-20, 05:45 PM
I had the idea to write a story about the OotS after :xykon:'s defeat. I want ideas for what to write. I plan to make the following assumptions:
1. Xykon is defeated. (no-brainer.)
2. It is around 10 years after current in-comic time.
3. Haley and Elan have married.
4. Celia and Roy have married.
5. Belkar was unmade at Kragor's Gate.
6. Durkon has not died/returned to his homeland.
7. Vaarsivus and Inkyrius have made up, but still feel a bit of resentment.
8. Roy's dad was not yet let into Celestia. (Probably not important.)
These are from a combination of common sense, hope, and what I read in someone else's posts and agreed with.
------------
So, I want ideas for plot and such for this story.

Oh, and I'll post the story when I'm done.

You never said anything about what happened to Redcloak... or MITD or Tsukiko...

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-20, 05:51 PM
You never said anything about what happened to Redcloak... or MITD or Tsukiko...

Oops...will be added in.

Pyron
2009-06-20, 06:39 PM
I really don't know what you can do in an OotS fanfic after the gang defeated Xykon. The entire cast would had gone through their stages character development; so they won't be the same characters as they were in the comic. Plus, that character development also provided a lot of conflicts and drama in the story. So, they would need something new to provide character conflicts. Otherwise they would end up being cardboard or you'll end up hitting a reset button.

Plus, after defeating Xykon they could be well within epic levels. So what new villain can challenge. Unless, you take the story outside the material plane and towards the outer planes. You be better off creating an adventure of some of the B-cast (like Julia, Cole (the Cleric of Loki), Sir Francis (or whatever his name was)... we just need a rogue).

Although as I'm typing this: I do have one idea.
I call it: “War of the Mommy Dragon”.

The premise of the plot is that after seeing 25% of the world's dragon population being destroyed ten years ago, various other chromatic dragon's start to band together and retaliate against the entire humanoid races (their logic is make sure that no other humanoid would ever be nearly powerful enough to cast a spell like Famlicide). The dragons can even marshal their forces on the outer planes where Tiamat reigns, and start enlisting the metallic dragons (after all, evil humaniods would hunt good dragons and could learn famlicide). Think of it as a dragon's IFCC.

Then cue the good guys trying to stop them.

Now that I think about it. This can even work with the Order of the Stick. Being epic level, I see that you'll have one source of character development to work with: the burden of being epic level meaning that have to be eternally vigilant against any epic-level threat. They start to realize that they can never really settle down for a peaceful life.

Those are my two cents.

David Argall
2009-06-20, 06:45 PM
What do you want to write? Now we can help you some with your basic idea, but you need to supply that basic idea. What you have done is supply a background, from which you have deleted a great deal of possible story lines, or about anything that makes setting it in the OOTS world a good idea.

But if you really want an idea... Sabine and Tsukiko get the hots for Miko and battle over her body. No, they won't settle for half each. Instead they spend their times stealing parts of Miko from each other.
Somewhere along the line, Miko get turned into an undead, and starts trying to kill her two lovers, who are unwilling to hurt her.
Eventually they form a three-some, after Miko convinces them to become LG.

Elemental_Elf
2009-06-20, 06:46 PM
You could introduce a new BBEG, something different than Xykon, probably living, more bestial... Maybe a Naga or a Rakshasa. The enemy's goal could be as simple as world domination or as grand as becoming a God.

You could set the entire story on a far off Island continent, that way you'd have complete creative freedom.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-20, 07:00 PM
Pyron's. idea. ROCKS!!! I will use it, unless someone comes up with a Shakespere-worthy idea.

David Argall: What "possible story lines" have I deleted? The idea is...uh...I'll leave it at that.

Elemental Elf: Interesting, but maybe I'll introduce it with a new group. Pyron's goes along with something that's already happened.

I'll try to think of what happened to the Linear Guild, and Haley's dad.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-29, 06:25 AM
Alright! No one's come up with a Shakesperean idea, so I'm going with Pyrons.
I will be asking other questions about what you want with the story. Let's start with humor level.
Categories:
1.) 1 joke/few paragraphs
2.) A few jokes/chapter
3.) 1 joke/chapter
4.) Super-serious
Let the voting commence...NOW!

petersohn
2009-06-29, 06:57 AM
I vote for:

Kaytara
2009-06-29, 07:26 AM
Uhhh.... Does it have to be JOKES, per se? I mean, I usually prefer to read fiction to blends the humour and drama without having blatant joke episodes. The joke should only be there if the circumstances are right. So a light-hearted quip here and there is a must, but when things get serious, things get serious, and I'm not sure I like how you talk about "one joke per paragraph" or "one joke per chapter".

Pyron's awesome idea is more appropriate for a more serious fanfic high on DRAMA, anyway.

To sum it up, be sure to bring humour if it feels right, but don't go out of your way to squeeze it in.

Now that I've said that, it's awesome that people are writing more OotS fanfiction. I completely support that! :D

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-29, 07:30 AM
Uhhh.... Does it have to be JOKES, per se? I mean, I usually prefer to read fiction to blends the humour and drama without having blatant joke episodes. The joke should only be there if the circumstances are right. So a light-hearted quip here and there is a must, but when things get serious, things get serious, and I'm not sure I like how you talk about "one joke per paragraph" or "one joke per chapter".

Pyron's awesome idea is more appropriate for a more serious fanfic high on DRAMA, anyway.

To sum it up, be sure to bring humour if it feels right, but don't go out of your way to squeeze it in.

Now that I've said that, it's awesome that people are writing more OotS fanfiction. I completely support that! :D

As an OotS fanfic, A.) the jokes are jokes in the way that OotS punchlines are, and B.) that's a guidline.

Prowl
2009-06-29, 07:45 AM
You could introduce a new BBEG, something different than Xykon, probably living, more bestial... Maybe a Naga or a Rakshasa.

Naga, please.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-29, 07:47 AM
Naga, please.

:smallconfused:
I'm not even using that idea...

Sereg
2009-06-29, 08:08 AM

Agreed on everything. However, if you really want us to vote on this, then I choose 3.

HereticNox
2009-06-29, 08:17 AM
Shouldn't you let the humor just flow in your writing. Why give yourself constraints?

If you are going for a format,
My Vote

xyzzy
2009-06-29, 08:21 AM
What do you want to write? Now we can help you some with your basic idea, but you need to supply that basic idea. What you have done is supply a background, from which you have deleted a great deal of possible story lines, or about anything that makes setting it in the OOTS world a good idea.

But if you really want an idea... Sabine and Tsukiko get the hots for Miko and battle over her body. No, they won't settle for half each. Instead they spend their times stealing parts of Miko from each other.
Somewhere along the line, Miko get turned into an undead, and starts trying to kill her two lovers, who are unwilling to hurt her.

D:

I have lost some of my faith in humanity now that I know that this idea exists. Then again, I'm the one who came up with Giant Ape Gohan and Gotenks. I don't think I have a lot of room to speak...

Zanaril
2009-06-29, 09:44 AM
Apparently my avatar has fanfic potential. :smallamused:

Anyway, what you've presented aren't really ideas for a story, rather just a setting. Maybe if you wrote about how one or more of those things actualy happened?

Or you could pick an even in the comic and write about what would of happened if things hadn't turned out the same way. Then you've already gotten past the hurdle of things happening in-comic invalidating what you've written. :smallwink:

Cire II
2009-06-29, 10:17 AM
I'd go for 2 my self.

fangthane
2009-06-29, 11:19 AM
So, just to make sure Messrs Jones and Rodriguez won't be getting involved, this doesn't weaken Rich's IP rights in any way, correct? :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2009-06-29, 11:26 AM

And then Thog walks in and covers them in ice cream...

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-29, 07:31 PM
So, just to make sure Messrs Jones and Rodriguez won't be getting involved, this doesn't weaken Rich's IP rights in any way, correct? :smallbiggrin:
No more than any fanfic.

I am having you guys vote because I can write at almost any level of humor while still telling the story (although I'll probably need to look at the OotS archives for aid), but I want the minimum number of members mad at me for humor level and whatnot.

Cracklord
2009-06-29, 07:37 PM
There is always Saurons Master. Or in this case, Redcloaks. By ending the plan, many Goblins have died, and they've have stopped the machinations of a god. Now, they must face the music.

Jirix takes the Crimson Mantle, and with several other companions creates an altar that they use to bring an avatar of The Dark One onto this earth.

The Order is split up and well into Epic levels. The Dark One seeks only vengence, and still plans to unleash the Snarl. So he hunts them down, one by one, capturing one or two, but making the rest link up.

I leave the rest to you...

(Should contain an Epic Thog, and O-Chul.)

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-29, 08:08 PM
There is always Saurons Master. Or in this case, Redcloaks. By ending the plan, many Goblins have died, and they've have stopped the machinations of a god. Now, they must face the music.

Jirix takes the Crimson Mantle, and with several other companions creates an altar that they use to bring an avatar of The Dark One onto this earth.

The Order is split up and well into Epic levels. The Dark One seeks only vengence, and still plans to unleash the Snarl. So he hunts them down, one by one, capturing one or two, but making the rest link up.

I leave the rest to you...

(Should contain an Epic Thog, and O-Chul.)

Let me rephrase this. I am going with Pyron's idea UNLESS someone can A.) come up with a better idea, and B.) explain why it's better.

Cracklord
2009-06-29, 08:13 PM
Oh, I thought we were just giving idea's.
Carry on then.

Cleverdan22
2009-06-29, 11:28 PM
I dunno, I feel like you should wait till the comic ends, or pick a different subject for the fic. Its just assumptions tend to end badly, and if OotS ends completely differently then how you predicted it, the story will be rendered useless.

Also, Prowl, may I use that in my sig?

Berserk Monk
2009-06-30, 02:51 AM

That's one of the worst ideas for a story and like the 8th best idea for a fanfic.

Also, I don't think we can even begin to speculate on what will happen after the comic is over because it isn't over and I'm sure Rich will think up things that will complete mess up any ideas you currently have.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-30, 02:25 PM
I want to write a story. I will probably post it. If the comic turns out differently, I won't care that much Iif at all). I want to know what will get me the minimum amount of hate mail. If anyone else ignores this, I will ignore what they are saying. Understand? I'm losing patience.

Optimystik
2009-06-30, 02:32 PM
I want to write a story. I will probably post it. If the comic turns out differently, I won't care that much Iif at all). I want to know what will get me the minimum amount of hate mail. If anyone else ignores this, I will ignore what they are saying. Understand? I'm losing patience.

You know, petulance isn't the best way to solicit people's assistance. More flies with honey, etc.

Pyron and Minion provided you with two very good fic ideas as well.

Souhiro
2009-06-30, 03:38 PM
Something kinda like Haley and celia cat-fighting in the mud, only to a resurrected, and a little more laid-back Miko enters into the fight?

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-30, 04:09 PM
You know, petulance isn't the best way to solicit people's assistance. More flies with honey, etc.

Pyron and Minion provided you with two very good fic ideas as well.
Sorry.
I'm using Pyron's idea. Read the OP's posts, too!

Pyron
2009-06-30, 05:12 PM
That's one of the worst ideas for a story and like the 8th best idea for a fanfic.

QFT

Also, I don't think we can even begin to speculate on what will happen after the comic is over because it isn't over and I'm sure Rich will think up things that will complete mess up any ideas you currently have.

That can be said about any piece of fanfiction. There is the risk that future plot developments can ruin any potential fan derivative story, but no big deal. Personally, as long as the author makes a note in the disclaimer (saying the story was written before 666, or whatever), then it should be fine. I believe the point of fanfiction is to have fun writing what you love.

Plus, the OP took the step in the right direction with his list of assumptions, which basically put every villain on the bus. It's safe to say they won't come up in the story.

I have some addition advice, since you're going to run with my idea (I'm flattered that you like it).

First, Take a moment to brainstorm ideas for the story's main villain. This is the character who's going to make or break your story. Right now, I picture can some powerful dragon wyrm, but think about his quirks, motives, and backstory. Check out the villain's workshop.

Second, for the amount of comedy you want to produce. I'd say do what feels right; you don't want to force too much humor into the story because it'll feel... force. Beyond that, I agree with Kaytara's assessment.

Finally, maybe think about some of the themes you like to explore with the story.