PDA

View Full Version : Steal your spells

yilduz
2009-06-20, 06:03 PM
My buddy and I were talking about a character that would be a lot of fun to play.

Essentially, the character is kind of a spellcaster, but only partially. Basically, in order to get their spells, they have to steal them from other spellcasters.

I was figuring abilities that counter spells and then allow the character to cast the spells they countered, stuff like that - but anything that essentially steals spells is what we're looking for. I can't think of any classes, feats, or anything of the sort that would do something like that, though. I'm sure someone here has some awesome ideas, though. You guys seem to know just about everything ever written for D&D.

quick_comment
2009-06-20, 06:05 PM
There is a class in complete adventurer called the spellthief.

yilduz
2009-06-20, 06:29 PM
Wow, that is a really cool class.

What would you recommend for feats/items/etc for a character that goes spellthief 20?

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-20, 08:34 PM
Wow, that is a really cool class.

What would you recommend for feats/items/etc for a character that goes spellthief 20?

Don't do that. Go Spellthief 1/Wizard 5/Unseen Seer 8/Arcane Trickster 6 or Spellthief 3/Warblade or Swordsage 4/Seul Arcanamach 3/Abjurant Champion 5/Jade Phoenix Mage 5. Both of these should be used with the Master Spellthief feat.

Unseen Seer is in Complete Mage.
Arcane Trickster is in the DMG (and SRD).
Warblade, Swordsage, and Jade Phoenix Mage are in Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords.
Seul Aarcanamach is in Complete Warrior.
The Master Spellthief feat is in Complete Scoundrel.

Master Spellthief makes it so you can multiclass into another spellcasting class and still advance your Steal Spells class feature. The Spelltheif/Wizard build above gets you 9th level Wizard spells, the ability to steal 9th level spells from anyone, and a ton of skill points (make sure to take Improved Familiar and have an Imp or something with hands so you can have it use wands and other items). You have to cast the spells you steal damn near immediately though. Oh, and Unseen Seer and Arcane Trickster increase your Sneak Attack damage, so Rays are the way to go.

The Seul Arcanamach build only gets 5th level spells, but its from a decent spell list. You can steal about 7th level spells from anyone (unless Master Spellthief is reliant on BAB, in which case you get about 8th or 9th level spells), and you can burn them immediately on Jade Phoenix Mage abilities. You also get 4th level (or higher) martial maneuvers, so that's a bonus defense.