PDA

View Full Version : Presenting: Proof that I play too many Zelda games

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-16, 11:12 PM
The Hyrulean Hero

Requirements
To qualify to become a hyrulean hero, a character must fulfil the following requirements:
BaB: +6
Skills: Climb 9 ranks, Knowledge: Dungeoneering 9 ranks.
Feats: Weapon Focus with a sword that can be wielded in one hand (short sword, longsword or bastard sword) and Weapon Focus with a bow.

Class Skills

Class Skills
The hyrulean hero’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (religion), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.
Hit die: d8

Level Attack bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
1 +0 +2 +2 +0 Kaiten-Giri
2 +1 +3 +3 +0
3 +2 +3 +3 +1 Enhance arrow
4 +3 +4 +4 +1 Kaiten-Giri (fire)
5 +3 +4 +4 +1 Energise arrow (fire)
6 +4 +5 +5 +2 Ghost strike
7 +5 +5 +5 +2 Grave strike
8 +6 +6 +6 +2 Energise arrow (ice)
9 +6 +6 +6 +3 He who does not fear the dead
10 +7 +7 +7 +3 Light arrow, fearless

Kaiten-Giri (Ex or Su): The most basic technique mastered by all heroes of the land of Hyrule, the Kaiten-Giri, or 'Rotating Honour', is a whirling sword technique. At first level, a Hyrulean hero in light or no armour is treated as if having the Whirlwind Attack feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites, but only when wielding a sword in one hand. This is an extraordinary ability. At fourth level, the hyrulean hero can also use this technique with a two-handed sword, such as a great sword or a fullblade.
At fourth level, a hyrulean hero can charge his sword with divine flames from the great faeries themselves. If he spends a full round action charging his sword, a hyrulean hero's sword is treated as flaming the next time he uses Whirlwind Attack. If the next attack made by the hyrulean hero is not a Whirlwind Attack, he must take another full round action to charge his sword again. This is a supernatural ability.
Enhance arrow (Su): At third level, any arrow that a hyrulean hero fires becomes a +1 arrow. At sixth level, it becomes a +2 arrow, and at ninth it becomes a +3 arrow.
Energise arrow (Su): At fifth level, a hyrulean hero can cause any arrow he fires to be wreathed in flames. As a move action, he can give any fire he holds the flaming ability. At eighth level, he can opt to instead grant the arrow the frost ability.
Ghost strike (Su): Hyrulean heroes have an uncanny ability to fight the undead. Starting at sixth level, a hyrulean hero attacking an incorporeal foe with a bow sword held in one hand can treat the weapon as if it had the ghost touch ability, even though it cannot usually be applied to bows.
Grave strike (Su): At seventh level, the hyrulean hero gains the ability to score critical hits against the undead. In addition, he can also make sneak attacks if he has that ability.
He who does not fear the dead (Su): At ninth level, the hyrulean hero's ability to combat the dead improved greatly. He becomes immune to energy drain, ability damage, ability drain and fear effects, but only when they come from an undead creature.
Light arrow (Su): At tenth level, the hyrulean hero unlocks the legendary power of the Light Arrows. As a move action, a hyrulean hero can imbue any arrow he fires with the holy and bane abilities. The bane ability functions against the type of creature targetted by the arrow.
In adition, a hyrulean hero can channel more power into his light arrows. By burning two points of constitution, he can turn a normal Light Arrow into a Lesser Slaying Arrow, targetting the type of creature the arrow is shot at. This is special ability burn, and hence can only be healed naturally (spells have no effect).
Fearless (Ex): At tenth level, a hyrulean hero gains complete immunity to fear effects.

So, what does everyone think?

Amotis
2006-03-16, 11:20 PM
Hyrulean Speak: The Hyrulean Hero can no longer speak save for the words :"Hwwwaarrhhh!"

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-16, 11:22 PM
No, that's a class ability of the Silent Protagonist class, silly.

Ing
2006-03-16, 11:27 PM
put for class armor limit the hero to only tunic and panty hoes

Behold_the_Void
2006-03-16, 11:45 PM
Special requirement should be passing a test to prove oneself worthy of taking up the name Link and wielding the Master Sword.

Speaking of which the Master Sword should be treated like a special weapon that gets stronger as you take levels in Hyrulean Hero, much like with the Battle Scion in Unearthed Arcana.

Ing
2006-03-16, 11:58 PM
Player Player Name
Name Ganandorf
Race Human
RaceNum 0
StartingClass 0
Barbarian 5
Bard 0
Cleric 0
Druid 0
Fighter 0
Monk 0
Paladin 0
Ranger 0
Rogue 5
Sorcerer 0
Wizard 5
Alignment 7
Religion 0
Strength 20 20
Dexterity 10 10
Constitution 12 12
Intelligence 15 15
Wisdom 11 11
Charisma 12 12
Money 197419
BaseAttackBonus 10
FortitudeSave 6
WillSave 6
ReflexSave 6
HitPoints 73
Skill 1 2
Skill 3 2
Skill 10 2
Skill 17 2
Skill 41 2
Skill 42 2
Feat 0 1
Feat 1 1
Feat 4 1
Feat 5 1
Feat 7 1
Feat 50 1
Feat 57 1
Feat 60 1
Feat 64 1
Feat 74 1
Feat 84 1
Feat 87 1
EQ 3 4 MASTERWORK
EQ 3 2
EQ 72 1 MASTERWORK
EQ 72 1
EQ 73 2 MASTERWORK
EQ 73 1
EQ 96 1
Language 4
SpecialDomain none
RestrictedDomain1 none
RestrictedDomain2 none

for a ganondorf char plug this in to the load of thise page

http://slicer69.tripod.com/dnd/dnd.htm

Catch
2006-03-17, 12:00 AM
You should get a sprite as a cohort.

"Hey! Listen! Hey!"

theswarm
2006-03-17, 12:20 AM
Totaly cool

Jothki
2006-03-17, 01:47 AM
No explosives proficiency?

LordOfNarf
2006-03-17, 01:50 AM
Preform (wind instrument) has to be a class skill

And you totaly missed the spells (dins fire, faroes wind, narus love)

Other than my nitpicking, way way cool

RoboticSheeple
2006-03-17, 01:58 AM
No Beam sword?

Beam Sword:
Upon reaching #th lvl a Hyrulean Hero may charge energy into his sword as a move action. The next attack made with the sword releases the energy in a 80ft ray in the same direction the attack was made. This attack deals a Critical Hit with the sword used and an deals an addition Holy damage of 1d6/3lvl of Hyrulean Hero (max 3d6 additional dmg). The Hyrulean Hero is then fatuiged in his next round of combat. This ability may only be used when the Hyrulean Hero is at his maximum hit points.

Sure it needs more work but come one, the beam sword!

LordOfNarf
2006-03-17, 02:17 AM
i am pretty sure the beam sword has only appered in gameboy games, and only if you got a special sword. It should be within max hp/hit die hp of max, because i heart is worth about that much (i think, correct me if my math is wrong)

RoboticSheeple
2006-03-17, 03:04 AM
i am pretty sure the beam sword has only appered in gameboy games, and only if you got a special sword. It should be within max hp/hit die hp of max, because i heart is worth about that much (i think, correct me if my math is wrong)

Beam sword has been a staple of the zelda games since NES. It was skipped over in only the 3d incarnations of Zelda, but it's been in more games than it hasn't been in. The spin attack could only be used with "special" swords in some incarnations of the Zelda series also. Lastly, how quickly the hearts (and therefore beamsword) fade depend a lot on the game and even more so on armor in the said game.

Jibar
2006-03-17, 03:08 AM
The beam sword first appeared in Zelda II; Link's adventure.
I believe it later appeared in Link to the Past,
The most recent beam sword was in Four Swords, which I love, and was gained when you had collected enough force gems, it then functioned every 5 seconds (I think), when you swung the sword. You had to be at full health though. It made some fights ridiculously easy.

And hey, don't worry about playing Zelda too much. A while back I was writing up stats for a Jak and Daxter game.
I'm also working on a Soul Reaver prestige class.

RoboticSheeple
2006-03-17, 03:15 AM
The beam sword first appeared in Zelda II; Link's adventure.
I believe it later appeared in Link to the Past,
The most recent beam sword was in Four Swords, which I love, and was gained when you had collected enough force gems, it then functioned every 5 seconds (I think), when you swung the sword. You had to be at full health though. It made some fights ridiculously easy.

Beam sword was in The Legend of Zelda (before Zelda II), The spin attack didn't appear until SNES. Most recent Beam Sword was in Minish Cap for GBA, Spin attack was also in this game. Am I going to need to make a chart for all of this? ;D

Jibar
2006-03-17, 03:20 AM
Wait, I thought Four Swords came after Minish Cap?
But, anyway, we've proved it came before,

RoboticSheeple
2006-03-17, 03:31 AM
Wait, I thought Four Swords came after Minish Cap?
But, anyway, we've proved it came before,

In Europe Minish Cap was released before Four Swords but USA and Japan Minish Cap was the latest release. Four Swords was suppose to precede Minish Cap everywhere but I believe it was difficulties with NTSC to PAL encoding that caused the slow down.

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-17, 08:41 AM
This isn't meant to be Link, and certainly isn't specific to Ocarina of Time.

Explosives proficiency is a good idea, but I really don't want to open up that can of worms...

Din's Fire, Farore's Wind and Nayru's love were in one game, and they were items, regardless. (Why do people always think that everything Legend of Zelda has to exactly match Ocarina of Time?!)

Perform: Wind Instrument? See above.

Beam sword? Much too hard to work out. It only works if your hearts are at maximum; which would mean it would only work if you had all your HP. That's not going to happen very often.

The beam sword appeared in Majora's Mask, but in a slightly modified form. It was the special ability of Kishin Link.

Minish Cap was released in Europe before Four Swords Adventures. However, Minish Cap is chronologically before Four Swords anyway.

I think that's everything...

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-03-17, 09:04 AM
Maybe I should get off my duff and work up those Tektite stats I've been thinking about. ;D

Seffbasilisk
2006-03-17, 09:15 AM
The wording of ghost strike is a little sketchy.

And people would hardcore dip into this class. I mean +2 fort +2 ref? No other class grants that first level! AND whirlwind when using a one-handed sword?

(In the games I remember, Link either swung out with his shield while he swung with his sword, or held onto the sword with both hands)

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-17, 09:21 AM
Maybe I should get off my duff and work up those Tektite stats I've been thinking about. ;D

You mean like... this? ;D

Red Tektite
Small Aberration
Hit Dice 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Initiative +2
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares) Climb 20 ft.
Armour Class 14 (10 +2 Dexterity modifier +2 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple +1/-3
Attack Bite +3 melee (1d3+1) or 2 claws +2 melee (1d2+1)
Full Attack Bite +3 melee (1d3+1) and 2 claws +2 melee (1d2+1)
Space/Reach 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks Pounce, rake 1d2+1.
Special Qualities Dark Vision 60ft.
Saves Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities Str 12, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 4.
Skills Jump +3, Climb +11*
Feats Weapon Finesse (Bite), Multiattack (bonus feat).
Environment Temperate mountains
Organization Solitary or pair.
Challenge Rating 2
Treasure None
Alignment Usually neutral.
Advancement 4-10 HD (Small), 11-15 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment –

This bizarre creature looks very much like a four-legged spider with one large, central eye. Its four legs end in sharp claws, and it has dangerous looking teeth.

Tektites are bizarre, spider-like creatures that inhabit mountainous regions. They have a habit of attacking mountain travellers without provocation, which can cause problems.
Tektites are generally around three feet in length, and weigh about 75 pounds.
Combat
Tektites attack with their sharp claws and teeth. They usually jump upon enemies from above, and rake at them with their claws.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Tektite must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake.
Pounce (Ex): If a Tektite charges it a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.
Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +2 melee, damage 1d2+1.
All Tektites have a +2 racial bonus on Jump checks. *Red Tektites have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks to perform some sort of special action. They can choose to take 10 on any Climb check, even when hurried or threatened.

Blue Tektite
Small Aberration
Hit Dice 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Initiative +2
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares) Swim 30 ft.
Armour Class 14 (10 +2 Dexterity modifier +2 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple +1/-3
Attack Bite +3 melee (1d3+1) or 2 claws +2 melee (1d2+1)
Full Attack Bite +3 melee (1d3+1) and 2 claws +2 melee (1d2+1)
Space/Reach 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks Pounce, rake 1d2+1.
Special Qualities Amphibious, Dark Vision 60ft.
Saves Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities Str 12, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 4.
Skills Jump +3, Swim +11*
Feats Weapon Finesse (Bite), Multiattack (bonus feat).
Environment Temperate aquatic
Organization Solitary or pair.
Challenge Rating 2
Treasure None
Alignment Usually neutral.
Advancement 4-10 HD (Small), 11-15 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment –
This lighter version of the standard Red Tektite can hop across water at its base land speed. It may attack any creature below it as if attacking from the air. It has the aquatic subtype, and has a swim speed of 30 feet (no climb speed).
*Blue Tektites have a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks to perform some sort of special action. They can choose to take 10 on any Swim check, even when hurried or threatened.
Amphibious (Ex): A Blue Tektite can breathe just as well in or out of water. ;D

St._jimmy
2006-03-17, 10:14 AM
Well, I'm not sure if that title is too accurate. It's Hylian, not Hyrulian.

The problem with Zelda classes are that a lot of Link's abilities come from items. I always considered him to be a bard. Light armour, very mobile fighting style, minor magic, instrument proficiency and a jack-of-all-trades.

I'm pretty certyain I found a fan-made Zelda D20 somewhere on the internet, can't remember where though.

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-17, 10:16 AM
Hylian = Species = Someone who is a Hylian.

Hyrulean = Nationality = Someone from Hyrule.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-03-17, 11:06 AM
You mean like... this? ;D

DANG IT! >:(

Though one thing that might be missing...

I seem to remember the official Ocarina of Time players' guide making a comment about a tektite's bite being mildly poisonous. I know that such a concept never really came up in actual gameplay, but I thought about giving it a venom that did around 1d2 Str damage.

Maybe also give the blue tektite an Extraordinary water walking ability. They really do that more than actually swimming. ;D

LordOfNarf
2006-03-17, 12:55 PM
link lives and dies by his items, he is only mediocere without them, and he rarly gets direct bonuses to his body or self. Link has played some kind of instrument in most of the games, so preform has should be a class skill.

storybookknight
2006-03-17, 01:03 PM
Perform is still a good idea.

There are more games where Link has an ocarina, conductor's baton, bagpipes, electric fish guitar, whatever than where he doesn't.

Just don't limit it to wind instruments.

RoboticSheeple
2006-03-17, 01:21 PM
Perform is still a good idea.

There are more games where Link has an ocarina, conductor's baton, bagpipes, electric fish guitar, whatever than where he doesn't.

Just don't limit it to wind instruments.

Perform should be a requirement you mean, Link has had some sort of insturment in EVERY Zelda game except 4-Swords. Even NES had the flute.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-03-17, 01:36 PM
link lives and dies by his items, he is only mediocere without them...
Sounds a lot like high-level D&D. See "Too much loot is bad for you" (http://www.GiantITP.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1142512054 ).

...and he rarly gets direct bonuses to his body or self.
Only if you haven't been on the look out for heart pieces. Even then, he "levels up" at the end of every dungeon.

Link has played some kind of instrument in most of the games, so preform has should be a class skill.
Definitely.

anime713
2006-03-17, 01:59 PM
The Hyrulean Hero

At fourth level, a hyrulean hero can charge his sword with divine flames from the great faeries themselves. If he spends a full round action charging his sword, a hyrulean hero's sword is treated as flaming the next time he uses Whirlwind Attack. This is a supernatural ability.

From the way you have it written, it looks like there's no limit on it. So, he can charge up when he wakes up, and then his first whirlwind attack is automatically flaming. In fact, there's almost no reason not to have it charged when you first enter combat.

Perhaps limit it so that making another kind of attack dissipates the charge, or something like. To compensate, you could give him reach if he charges up, perhaps. That still makes it worth it if you have lots of enemies swarming you.

Tomada
2006-03-17, 03:25 PM
Maybe immune to fear?

He is courageous, he even gets the triforce of courage in OOT (did you see, ocarina of time is OOT and we are on witch site ;) )

Jibar
2006-03-17, 03:31 PM
Ya know, this thread is proof we've all played too many Zelda games,

starwoof
2006-03-17, 04:50 PM
Impossible. Nobody can play too many Zelda games!

If somebody were making a class for link it would have to be The Hero of Time. Ive never really thought of link as a bard...but that makes a large amount of sense...

storybookknight
2006-03-17, 06:09 PM
It only sorta does... no musical spellcasting. It's more like he has sufficient Perform to use the magical musical instruments he finds lying around.

I'd place him as... Ranger maybe?

Blade-Bearer_Ian
2006-03-17, 06:18 PM
I love how in Twilight Princess they gave him a chain shirt ;D

Tomada
2006-03-18, 12:39 AM
It only sorta does... no musical spellcasting. It's more like he has sufficient Perform to use the magical musical instruments he finds lying around.

I'd place him as... Ranger maybe?

FROM THE SRD

Bard

A rare bard might display a special link to nature and the mysterious world of the fey. Such characters tend to be more aloof and less inspiring than standard bards.
Gain

Animal companion (as druid), nature sense (as druid), resist nature's lure (as druid), wild empathy (as druid).
Lose

Bardic knowledge, inspire courage, inspire competence, inspire greatness, inspire heroics.

That's a variant of the normal bard. Could this be link?

storybookknight
2006-03-18, 12:44 AM
I think we have a winner with the fey bard - almost.

Still too much reliance on enchantments, and not enough base attack.

LordOfNarf
2006-03-18, 01:59 AM
Personally, i always thought of link as a high dex fighter, you know one who only waers light armor so that he can maxamize his dex bonus to AC.

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-18, 08:21 AM
I've always thought of Link as a ranger with the archery combat style, but hey...

Also, added Perform as a class skill, and the "Fearless" tenth level ability.

pincushionman
2006-03-18, 02:23 PM
In Ocarina of Time you could spin attack with the Big Sword and the Giant's Knife - those are two-handed weapons. But you couldn't get the fire with them. Perhaps you can spin with 2h swords when you qualify for the fire attack?

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-18, 02:25 PM
In Ocarina of Time you could spin attack with the Big Sword and the Giant's Knife - those are two-handed weapons. But you couldn't get the fire with them. Perhaps you can spin with 2h swords when you qualify for the fire attack?

You know, I completely forgot about the Biggoron Sword and the Great Faerie Blade. I'll add that in...

Jibar
2006-03-18, 02:31 PM
I've always thought of Link as a ranger with the archery combat style, but hey...

That does make sense actually. I can't think of any game where you havn't been able to get a bow.

ilovefire
2006-03-18, 03:49 PM
I don't think there's a bow in LoZ...
i could be wrong, it's been awhile since i played it.

Catch
2006-03-18, 04:00 PM
The only Zelda games that didn't have a bow were Oracle of Ages (seed shooter) and Oracle of Seasons (slingshot). All Zelda games have some form of ranged weapon. I'm not sure about Four Swords, though.

Vonriel
2006-03-18, 04:20 PM
Bah, Link isn't a bard. I suppose if you forego the spellcasting then he could be considered one, but really all the "spells" he has are items that you select to use. As I recall, only Ocarina of Time actually had "spells" in the sense we think of them, and this is meant to be a general template, not an Ocarina of Time one.

One thing that should be added is a 5 foot increase to his reach when using Kaiten-Giri, since he always had that wall of energy that went out beyond his normal range. And if you recall, you could charge up Link's blade and walk through an entire dungeon like that, assuming you never had to use it (in the older ones anyway, I haven't tried this in Ocarina of Time)

Oh, and maybe add in the ability to craft a sort of "Master Sword" at a certain level that gets a bonus equal to something or another.. Maybe the Hero has to journey to a dwarven blacksmith to get it made ;D