PDA

View Full Version : I want David Tennant as the Riddler.

Raenir Salazar
2009-06-20, 08:52 PM
The man himself even wanted to be the role, who else here it would be the singlehanded best movie of all time if in the third new batman movie we got RiddlerWho in it?

Zencao
2009-06-20, 10:16 PM
If it were announced, I would be so exited I would poo.

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-20, 10:23 PM
I would be irritated, because there's one David Tennant fanboy on campus who would flip out and not shut up for the next 9 months or so. Actually, if he got so excited that his head exploded, it would be an excellent thing.
No, DT as the Riddler would be very entertaining. I heard an alternative was Eddie Murphy, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't completely ruin the franchise like that.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-20, 10:25 PM
I would be irritated, because there's one David Tennant fanboy on campus who would flip out and not shut up for the next 9 months or so. Actually, if he got so excited that his head exploded, it would be an excellent thing.
No, DT as the Riddler would be very entertaining. I heard an alternative was Eddie Murphy, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't completely ruin the franchise like that.

I heard it was between Tennat and Depp

snoopy13a
2009-06-20, 10:33 PM
How about Jim Carrey? :smalltongue:

Zeta Kai
2009-06-20, 10:40 PM
How about Jim Carrey? :smalltongue:

Thou shalt BURN. :furious::smallwink:

Primal Fury
2009-06-20, 10:42 PM
The Riddler??? I always thought of him as a cheap bootleg of the Joker. And I'd rather not see him in another movie. Although, Tennant is a very good actor, so he might be able to save the character.

Haven
2009-06-20, 11:52 PM
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/haven_bucket/002qkf3x.jpg?t=1245560091

Connington
2009-06-21, 12:02 AM
To be honest, I'm not so nuts on the Riddler. I realize he doesn't have to be as campy as the one from the '60s show, but it seems to me the best you can do is a well done Saw knockoff.

hustlertwo
2009-06-21, 12:12 AM
Frank Gorshin is the Riddler. Everyone else is an also-ran. That show was goofy, sure, but I'm just not sure anyone else could provide the manic energy like Gorshin did. Him and Burgess Meredith both made it difficult for another actor to define their villains better. Not really a problem with anyone else on the show (Michelle Pfeiffer did well enough to earn the Catwoman name even in the mediocre Returns, both Nicholson and Ledger erased Cesar Romero from memory, and a lot of the other villains on the show were either nobodies in the comics, or flat out created just for the show).

raitalin
2009-06-21, 01:36 AM
I think the riddler can be extremely well done. Just think about how close the character is to a serial killer when you take off the stupid green spandex.

Oregano
2009-06-21, 05:03 AM
I don't. Not that David Tennant isn't a good actor, I just can't and don't want to see him in a Batman movie. He might be excellent at it if he gets chosen but nahh.

I don't want Johnny Depp to be the Riddler either... it'd just be another Johnny Depp role.

Starscream
2009-06-21, 07:01 AM
The Riddler is my favorite Batman villain of all time. After seeing him clown around in Batman Forever, it'd be nice to see someone play up his darker, obsessive compulsive side. Gorshin was awesome, but Riddler hasn't been a giggling fool in over 20 years. He's now a conflicted, twisted anti-villain.

Riddler:"You don't understand. .. I really didn't want to leave you any clues. I really planned never to go back to Arkham Asylum. But I left you a clue anyway. So I... I have to go back there. Because I might need help. I... I might actually be crazy."

And that was from Gotham Adventures, a children's comic book based of the cartoons.

And I love David Tennant. I think he's the best Doctor since Tom Baker. He would rock that role. Though it goes without saying that Johnny Depp is also one heck of a fine performer. Either of them could pull it off well.

Jahkaivah
2009-06-21, 07:12 AM
To be honest, I'm not so nuts on the Riddler. I realize he doesn't have to be as campy as the one from the '60s show, but it seems to me the best you can do is a well done Saw knockoff.

You mean a well done Riddler knockoff knockoff :smalltongue:

Blackjackg
2009-06-21, 08:43 AM
I don't know if there's already been an announcement made or what, but am I the only one who thinks the Riddler would be a terrible villain for the third Batman? Seriously, how distinct would "hardcore revamped Riddler" be from "hardcore revamped Joker?"

I don't know what villains they will use (personally, I would have hoped they'd save Two-Face for the last movie rather than going for the quick, cheap payoff in The Dark Knight), but I'm kind of pulling for Mr. Freeze. Re-imagined, of course, so he's less Refrigerator-Suits-and-Ray-Guns and more Cruel-With-a-Heart-of-Ice-to-Reflect-Batman's-Inner-Coldness-After-His-Girlfriend-Got-Toasted-In-The-Last-Movie.

That being said, I'd take Depp over Tennant as the Riddler. But they probably wouldn't cast him, considering how much they've been trying to distance themselves from Tim Burton.

Oregano
2009-06-21, 09:50 AM
I want them to go with Bane personally.

Jibar
2009-06-21, 10:59 AM
I think they'll be playing on the whole Batman Brings In The Freaks theme for the next film.
Which to me says the Riddler would be a good choice, though I do wonder if there are any better choices.
Personally with Rachel dead I think they need to explore how this and his superhero career has effected him. And the best way to do that? Harley Quinn and Catwoman.
Though really, I just want Harley on the big screen. After the huge effect the Joker had in Dark Knight Harley would just fit so well, especially if portrayed as a seriously mentally ill individual who tries to emulate the Joker as much as possible.

Seraph
2009-06-21, 11:47 AM
I don't know if there's already been an announcement made or what, but am I the only one who thinks the Riddler would be a terrible villain for the third Batman? Seriously, how distinct would "hardcore revamped Riddler" be from "hardcore revamped Joker?"

Hardcore Revamped Riddler would be best done as, say, someone as smart and rich as Bruce moving into Gotham, with a game of dueling master-plans to see who takes the city for themself.

Oregano
2009-06-21, 12:40 PM
Haha. Jibar I think Harley would be great because then they can avoid the whole "replacing-Heath-Ledger" thing by having the Joker behind the scenes and have Harley causing the chaos.

I wonder who they'd get to play her though?

I'd rather they stay away from Catwoman....

Erts
2009-06-21, 01:32 PM
I'd like them to do a Bane and Azrael, with a little bit of it based on Knightfall.

If not Azrael, then just Bane. I think it would be good.

Riddler would seem like what we just left behind, the Joker.

Connington
2009-06-21, 03:07 PM
I'd like Bane, but it depends. Nolan should put him in the fourth movie or later, if he feels comfortable with that many movies. Batman needs to be at the top of his game when he goes against Bane, not hunted down by Gotham City. Can't break the bat if he's already down.

Jibar
2009-06-21, 04:09 PM
I'd rather they stay away from Catwoman....

It's the perfect time though. Batman, hunted by the law, meets someone else on the wrong side of the police line. He hopes he can turn her away from a life of crime and join him as a vigilante, secretly wanting her to replace Rachel, she hopes to use Batman's trust in her to get away with some major heists right under the police's nose, while also forming something of a thing for him.
Then Harley shoots her in the face.

KnightDisciple
2009-06-21, 04:34 PM
It's the perfect time though. Batman, hunted by the law, meets someone else on the wrong side of the police line. He hopes he can turn her away from a life of crime and join him as a vigilante, secretly wanting her to replace Rachel, she hopes to use Batman's trust in her to get away with some major heists right under the police's nose, while also forming something of a thing for him.

NOOO! No shooting!

...Sorry.

I might be a closet "Batman x Catwoman Forever!" fan.

I think the Riddler could be a good villian. If he's used as a supremely intelligent, complex plot type. Instead of chaos, like the Joker, have him focus on Order. Something like that. A more intellectual villian. Calm, calculating. But with a riddle compulsion of some kind, one he knows he has, but can't help.

Kaelaroth
2009-06-21, 05:22 PM

I disagree. Yes, Batman hopes he can turn her away from a life of crime and join him as a vigilante, secretly wanting her to replace Rachel, but all the while, she falls, in her own, feline way, madly in love with him, delivering him little broken carcasses of birds and mice, before, eventually, realising that she can never be loved by him, and could only ever be loved by an opposite of him.
Therefore becoming Harley Quinn.

Sholos
2009-06-21, 09:36 PM
Let me be a bit anti-popular for a minute and say that I hope that Bane never sees the big screen again. I hate the character. His one and only purpose was to introduce drama about Batman getting "beat"; and even then Batman just got better. Bane has nothing to offer the franchise that can't be better offered by another villain.

I love the idea of Riddler being a criminal obsessed with Order rather than Chaos. Also, I'd like to see either Catwoman or Talia; Batman needs another love interest. The problem, of course, is the secondary villain. Mr. Freeze is too fantastic for the Nolan-verse, and Nolan has already said that he hates Penguin. Poison Ivy is a possibility if they take out the whole controlling plants thing, but I don't know if she'd mesh well into the storyline. I think Harley is probably the best bet. Joker's lost his first creation, so it would make a fair amount of sense to see another one.

kpenguin
2009-06-21, 09:48 PM
Wait... did they ever show Rachel being buried? What if she didn't die... but became Harley?

Yeah, I know, big explosion, too much of a comic book twist, etc.

Erts
2009-06-21, 10:13 PM
Hmmmm I never saw that.... Changed my mind. A Riddler obsessed with Order would be good. A crazy, OCD maniac who screams at subordinants when they don't follow plans to the dot.

Also, the problem with Bane is it is hard to act him, big special affect man he is.

kpenguin
2009-06-21, 10:22 PM
I could see Bane as a mercenary or some such, hired by one of the respectable members of Gotham society to kill Batman when the police are unable to arrest him. Venom is an experimental drug he takes as a performance enhancer. It doesn't give the amazing super strength that it does in the comics, but it does make him more than a match for Batman physically.

BlueWizard
2009-06-22, 05:01 AM
Sounds good to me.

Hzurr
2009-06-22, 09:38 AM
Actually, the possibility of a Nolan directed Batman 3 is very unlikely. A week or so ago there were articles on both ign.com and io9.com that the rough idea Nolan had for the 3rd movie heavily involved the Joker, and he's not completely comfortable replacing Ledger.

That being said, while I love Tennent, I think a better Riddler would be the actor who plays Ben Linus on lost. He's just very good at playing the super intelligent evil manipulator, which is the version of the riddler I love.

Depp as the Riddler? Not crazy about it. Although I feel he could do a decent job replacing Ledger as the Joker.

Erts
2009-06-22, 11:41 AM
Depp as the Riddler? Not crazy about it. Although I feel he could do a decent job replacing Ledger as the Joker.

I think if anyone would, it would be him. The only problem is, the role has so much hype, its better to stay away from it.

Obrysii
2009-06-22, 03:01 PM
Am I alone in thinking that Hugh Laurie would make an excellent Riddler?

Hzurr
2009-06-22, 03:27 PM
Am I alone in thinking that Hugh Laurie would make an excellent Riddler?

Hmm...rather than the Riddler, I'm hoping that he's cast in the role of Henry Higgins in the remake of "My Fair Lady" that's being done.

Jibar
2009-06-22, 03:28 PM
Hmm...rather than the Riddler, I'm hoping that he's cast in the role of Henry Higgins in the remake of "My Fair Lady" that's being done.

:annoyed:

Stay away from my dreams Hollywood.