PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Eporium

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-03-16, 10:53 PM
The porcupine, most likly described as "OHMYGODIMGUNNADIE!" by enamies, shoots 22 crossbow shots at once in a 30 foot range. You need a 14 str. or higher to accualy pull the ready-to-fir mechanism back, but it is very effective for close-quaters. It is a large hunk of wood with slits in 2 rows on the top of the mechinism in which to load, you can take 22 rounds to load it, or you can buy a Clip, which is a plank of wood with press. Tached bolts, you slide it over, and when you here 22 clicks there all in!

Deals 1d4(x2) damage for every bolt in the Enemies body. You can either do a all foward shot or a spread fire. You roll 22d20s to see if you hit, and a d6 to figure out where it goes (if its spread)
Size: Med.
Exotic
Two Handed

If i forgot anything tell me
Statements wanted! My human ranger created it as a better way to kill a dragon, one shotted it

Amotis
2006-03-16, 11:01 PM
A little broken. It would have to be magical. Sounds like that one FR artifact that kills all in like 100ft and obliverates the user unless he has a certain pair of guantlets.

Orion-the-G
2006-03-16, 11:09 PM
Heh, sounds like someone has read Terry Pratchett. Or else it's certainly a case of parallel evolution.

I'd say first and foremost you haven't given two things:

weight (and size)
and how to determine how many bolts get in the enemies body

first I think at a reasonable level each bolt would have to have maybe half an inch of clearance between each groove, combined with the fact that each hole is probably something like a quarter inch wide. so the 'barrel of the weapon would have to be at least a foot across, combine that with the length of bow-arms you'd need to get pull the whole thing would likely be a good 3-5 feet wide. Basically you're lugging around a small siege weapon and I'd say it should at least require a stand or else subject the user to big attack penalties.

and the second. how do you determine who get's hit by what? do you make 22 attacks? that's clearly overpowered, heck if you loaded that with flaming crossbow bolts (not a big investment) and shot it at an easy to hit target it would inflict something like 44d8+22d6+22 damage! You could take out an entire castle with one shot!

Foeofthelance
2006-03-16, 11:12 PM
Reminds me of the Peacemaker Detritus the troll carries from the Terry Pratchett novels.

Essentially he's walking around with a siege ballista, but instead of firing one bolt (which just isnt worth it) it fires a sheath of about 100 bolts which combust due to air resistance and friction, essentially spawning a massive fire ball. Stats for it would look something like this.

Requirements
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Peacemaker)
OR
Siege Weapon Profiency
\
Size Large or greater
\
Strength 23
\
Damage 4d6 fire (reflex half) 2d6 piercing (no damage if reflex save is made)

Dhavaer
2006-03-16, 11:13 PM
It's 'Piecemaker'.

Foeofthelance
2006-03-16, 11:14 PM
Geh, what I get for not having one of the books in front of me. Though when he fires it, there's really no difference in the results. There's a lot of peace, and something's in a lot of pieces.

Dhavaer
2006-03-16, 11:19 PM
"You can't fire that here! We're indoors!"
"Only until I pull dis trigger, sir."

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-03-16, 11:19 PM
Well as for the hole It could take down a castle, think of the PRICE and the bolts are deffenatly to small to take one down

Foeofthelance
2006-03-16, 11:29 PM
Actually, I think the rules for some of the Terry Pratchett weapons would be amusing. Excuse me while I go track down a copy of Jingo for ideas!

Dhavaer
2006-03-16, 11:32 PM
Or Monstrous Regiment. The Borogravian disc-throwers sound cool.

Foeofthelance
2006-03-16, 11:34 PM
What was the weapon Nobby was looking at in Men at Arms? The Klatchian Fire Engine? Banned by eight or more religions as an unholy weapon of mass destruction if memory serves.

Orion-the-G
2006-03-16, 11:35 PM
Not that expensive, you'd basically be paying for 25 (round up) rounds of +2 ammo, that's only 4,000 gp in exchange for over 60 dice of damage. Now true it would be overkills since for only 1,000 you've still got the 44d8+22 or just be cheap and only buy standard bolds for 44d8 damage.

how do you determine how many hit the target?

EDIT: actually that's stupid of me, just enchant the crossbow- 8,000 and every shot will inflict 44d8+22d6+1 damage.

Dhavaer
2006-03-16, 11:37 PM
Banned in eight countries, three religions would excommunicate any soldier using it, five more embraced it as a holy weapon.

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-03-16, 11:38 PM
By simply rolling the dice 22 times, and if you spread firing, you roll a d6.
1: Directy in front
2: Far Foward
3: Far Right
4: Far Left
5: Left
6: Right

Foeofthelance
2006-03-16, 11:41 PM
Klatchian Fire Engine

Requirements:
Weapon Profciency: Siege
Size: Medium or larger (Exception if your name happens to be Nobby Nobs)
Dexterity Based
Range: 40 ft
Damage 4d6 fire
Reload Time: 2 Rounds (Weapon must be pumped to rebuild pressure)
EDIT: Cost: 350 gp

Each engine contains 50 gallons of alchemist fire. Each use expends about 5 gallons. Using the Klatchian Fire Engine in sight of any good aligned cleric requires a Diplomacy Check DC 20 or the Cleric considers the user hostile. Any evil aligned cleric automatically considers the user as neutral.

Orion-the-G
2006-03-16, 11:57 PM
By simply rolling the dice 22 times, and if you spread firing, you roll a d6.
1: Directy in front
2: Far Foward
3: Far Right
4: Far Left
5: Left
6: Right

Well think of it this way. if there was a magic sword that would let a fighter attack 22 times in one round with no penalty and just a single feat required. in exchange the fighter must spend 22 turns charging the weapon. it would be insanely overpowered simply because the fighter could take 22 attacks (stastically one will even be a critical threat) inflicting massive damage, then just drop the weapon and continue fight normally.

Foeofthelance
2006-03-17, 12:01 AM
I think the Porcupine would work, as long as it was a crew served siege weapon such as a ballista. Notonly would that make it more managable, both in terms of use and maintenence, it would also be more useful. Afterall, outside of a massive battle scene, how often does one get attacked by 22 enemies at once?

Jack Mann
2006-03-17, 06:04 AM
Hmm. Instead of that, I'd treat it as a cone or line spell (depending on how exactly it fired) and have the people in the line of fire make a reflex save.

Dhavaer
2006-03-17, 06:06 AM
Make the reflex save DC a little low, too, so it's really good at wiping out mooks, but not so good against big bads.

The White Knight
2006-03-17, 07:56 AM
To the OP, with the porcupine gun:

Make it a 15 foot cone. A 15 foot cone can have 6 targets if on the diagonal, and 7 targets if fired orthogonally (directions referring to the square grid map).

Change it to 21 shots instead of 22. Now it takes 21 rounds to load. Scrap the clip idea - makes things too easy.

Make one attack roll for each target in the area, and roll a d3 to see how many hits each one must take. This means you can make, at most, 21 successful hits. 18 if it's a diagonal cone.

Take a -2 penalty on all attacks for each person beyond the first that you are trying to hit. So if you're attacking six people, you take -12 on ALL of the attack rolls. You may select which targets in the affected area you are "trying to hit" if you don't want to take the full penalty.

This thing would have to be MASSIVE to conceivably fire 21 regular sized light crossbow bolts. Make it so it damages as a light crossbow of two sizes smaller than the individual for which it is sized (ie. d4's for a medium creature, because a tiny light crossbow deals 1d4 damage). Still ludicrous, but we're getting closer.

Precision based damage only applies to the first hit each target takes, so you can't sneak attack anything 3 times, nor can you critical on all three hits either. Same deal with magical enhancements. You can't hit the same target with any more than one enhancement ability, be it damage bonus, energy dice, or anything else you can finaggle.

Allow the individual to make a reflex save in place of their AC if they are hit. They get a +1 bonus to their save for each additional target you're firing at. Half damage on a successful save, subject to modification by evasion class feature.

Probably still broken as hell, but we're getting closer.

Jack Mann
2006-03-17, 08:12 AM
I still think it should just be a base damage, and then a reflex. Make it a normal 1d8 or 1d10; it's already hitting a lot of targets, you don't need to do extra damage. Maybe make it 2d8 or 2d10 if you really want to. Accept that not all of the bolts are going to find a target, that's part of the cost of using this thing. The idea is to do damage to more targets at once than you would otherwise be able to do. Ignore the AC. Give it the clip, but the targets are treated as though they have evasion. If they make their save, they take no damage. Two rounds for reloading; one to remove the old clip and one to get the new clip into place. Make it too big to maneuver easily in combat. While set-up, you can only move fifteen feet per round. Ranged attackers and casters will just stay back, while the melee goons will get close and hack at you while you try to reload.

prufock
2006-03-17, 11:10 AM
It's a little ridiculous, and I would make it a super-exotic weapon, as in NOBODY can be proficient with such a thing, and there should be additional penalties.

Because, really, why stop at 30? Why not make it 60? Eventually you'll get into an arms race somewhat akin to Schick and Gilette. How many razorblades can you fit on a razor before you're shaving bone?