PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Mystery of #663...

i6uuaq
2009-06-20, 09:39 PM
... is this. Why did Lien see Durkon first? :smallbiggrin:

Durkon, as we have already found out, is generally indistinguishable from any other dwarf, not to mention short. With him are Haley, Elan, and Belkar (who is also admittedly short). Lien presumably would recognise the entire party from their various adventures in Azure City - at very least she would recognise Elan, having spent 4 months on Hinjo's junk with him. But no, she spots Durkon first.

This is a very significant question, deserving of our utmost attention, which could irrevocably alter our understanding of dwarven-paladin associations! We must fully expend our energies in ferreting out the truths underlying this seemingly-innocuous blah blah blah *stops channeling V*

Sorry for silly topics, I'm quite bored waiting for the next strip, and it seemed like no one had mentioned this yet. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-20, 09:45 PM
Durkon was also on the boat with them for 4 months, and what other dwarf would be chilling around an abandoned elven settlement with the Azurites far away from his homeland?

Defiant
2009-06-20, 09:47 PM
Yeah, she knew Durkon as well, or even better, than Elan.

Babale
2009-06-20, 09:49 PM
Easy: They are in love.

Flickerdart
2009-06-20, 09:50 PM
Durkon has the biggest penalty to Hide out of the four characters, of course.

NerfTW
2009-06-20, 10:11 PM
Simple. Durkon was near the beach in an open area, casting a spell. Haley and Elan were running up the hill to Hinjo, so they were likely blocked by foliage or the ground.

fruityjanitor
2009-06-20, 11:05 PM

This is obviously the only answer that makes any sense at all!

Has somebody started drawing up LienxDurkon pics yet?

Haven
2009-06-20, 11:13 PM

From their fight against the giant devil: "Please don't be dead, please don't be dead, please don't be dead..." So, not as crazy as it sounds, actually.

Mr. Pin
2009-06-20, 11:21 PM
Yay! great comic, lol at the end.

coughcanwehaveroybacknowcough

Pyron
2009-06-20, 11:21 PM
This is obviously the only answer that makes any sense at all!

Has somebody started drawing up LienxDurkon pics yet?

Imagine Lien trying to take Durkon swimming.

Although, I feel sorry for their children. They'll be ugly as Muls. :smallsmile:

Elemental_Elf
2009-06-20, 11:29 PM
Imagine Lien trying to take Durkon swimming.

Although, I feel sorry for their children. They'll be ugly as Muls. :smallsmile:

Don't forget, there won't be any grandchildren because, IIRC, Muls are infertile. :smalleek:

DamonKashu
2009-06-21, 02:25 AM
Don't forget that Durkon saves Lien (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0473.html), of course she'll be able to recognize her savior!

R. Malcovitch
2009-06-21, 02:39 AM
From their fight against the giant devil: "Please don't be dead, please don't be dead, please don't be dead..." So, not as crazy as it sounds, actually.

As far as we know Durkon is the only one with resurrection capabilities in the fleet, so while anyone else's death is reversible Durkon's death would be permanent (and make all subsequent deaths permanent as well), so there's a legitimate cause for alarm that doesn't include personal attraction.

Lycantrophe
2009-06-21, 05:04 AM
[QUOTE=i6uuaq;6333761]... is this. Why did Lien see Durkon first? :smallbiggrin:

Durkon, as we have already found out, is generally indistinguishable from any other dwarf, not to mention short. QUOTE]

Isn't easier to spot someone "short" in plate mail when there are no other short person around ? from far away durkon is much more recognazible than anyone else.. But the real reason is that giant just felt like typing durkon =) i dont think its more than totally random

Kaytara
2009-06-21, 05:13 AM
Well, for one thing, obviously they share good relations. He saved her back in the city, he came back to save her from the orcs. The "please don't be dead" part also indicates a personal bond - if she were worrying about him solely for practical purposes it would probably sound rather different.

And, as mentioned, Haley and Elan were likely out of sight at that moment due to all the foliage around them, and the only people left standing with Durkon are Belkar and Celia, whom Lien has probably glimpsed earlier at some point but doesn't know well enough to recognise from a great distance like that. Durkon, OTOH, is someone she knows well by sight and would thus be able to distinguish.

Although I admit the the LienxDurkon idea is cute. :)

Pulsecode
2009-06-21, 05:16 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0650.html

He's also striking a dramatic pose, and glowing with holy light. Assuming the spell isn't done yet - and I imagine Lien would have shouted 'It's Roy!' if it was.

yanmaodao
2009-06-21, 05:37 AM
Hate to ruin everyone's fun, but I don't think it's an attraction thing - either that, or I don't want to believe it is, because I still want Lien to further the royal line. :smallcool: The two seem to be close friends, though. Durkon seems like he would get along well with paladins.

wootage
2009-06-21, 10:02 AM
Durkon has the biggest penalty to Hide out of the four characters, of course.

Of course, it's because he's wearing the most armor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html) :D

Rotipher
2009-06-21, 10:07 AM

That's just in DarkSun. In FR, a dwarf x human cross produces ... a dwarf.

Possibly, if applied in Stickworld for this case, a dwarf with a blue beard. :smallwink:

Rotipher
2009-06-21, 10:11 AM
Simple. Durkon was near the beach in an open area, casting a spell. Haley and Elan were running up the hill to Hinjo, so they were likely blocked by foliage or the ground.

IIRC, Lien hasn't seen Haley with short hair before now, so that's another reason why she wouldn't recognize the rogue at first glance.

Faceist
2009-06-21, 10:11 AM
Well, for one thing, obviously they share good relations. He saved her back in the city, he came back to save her from the orcs. The "please don't be dead" part also indicates a personal bond - if she were worrying about him solely for practical purposes it would probably sound rather different.There's also the fact that he had more in common with her than Elan or Vaarsuvius. Lien's general reaction to Elan and V was contempt or exasperation; just look at her expression in the last panel of 663. It's only natural she'd forge better relations with a lawful good cleric, as a Paladin, than with a reclusive neutral wizard or a wacky chaotic bard.

Blackjackg
2009-06-21, 10:36 AM

This. Only it's a one-way crush. We all know how Durkon feels about humans. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html)

Nermy
2009-06-21, 10:56 AM
She rolled a 20 on her spot check to see Durkon.

Haven
2009-06-21, 11:14 AM
That's just in DarkSun. In FR, a dwarf x human cross produces ... a dwarf.

Possibly, if applied in Stickworld for this case, a dwarf with a blue beard. :smallwink:

I'm pretty sure it actually produces "People Taller Than Dwarves But A Few Inches Shy Of Humans". :smalltongue:

Anyway, I don't know if anything is actually going to come of it but Durkon deserves a little happiness, and he certainly wouldn't run into the alignment conflict he did last time. They could share pillow talk about how awesome being organized and pious is. Or go to the zoo!

Not that he couldn't go to the zoo with anyone else, but, you know, they could. It'd probably be Elan's idea and they'd make it a double-date.

Blackjackg
2009-06-21, 12:17 PM

Holy crap, guys. It all makes sense now. O-Chul is the son of Durkon and Lien, returned from a post-Apocalyptic future where Xykon rules the world with the might of the Snarl to save the present!

Optimystik
2009-06-21, 01:29 PM
This. Only it's a one-way crush. We all know how Durkon feels about humans. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html)

In fairness, if he were to shack up with a human, a paladin is as close as he's likely to get to his dwarven mindset. But of course, Lien is considerably more... "loose" than your average paladin.

mockingbyrd7
2009-06-21, 01:41 PM
Hate to ruin everyone's fun

Yes, you do. Otherwise you wouldn't be stating your actual opinion that nobody wants to hear in a thread clearly dedicated to wild speculation. :smallsmile:

Holy crap, guys. It all makes sense now. O-Chul is the son of Durkon and Lien, returned from a post-Apocalyptic future where Xykon rules the world with the might of the Snarl to save the present!

That... is awesome. Permission to sig?

Blackjackg
2009-06-21, 01:57 PM
Permission to sig?

Granted. Thanks for the compliment.

Cire II
2009-06-21, 02:29 PM
O-Chul is the son of Durkon and Lien, returned from a post-Apocalyptic future where Xykon rules the world with the might of the Snarl to save the present!

This would explain why he started out as a fighter.Ther would be no palidins in Xycon's world.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-06-21, 03:15 PM
Hmm...

Does this mean that we'll see Xykon sending back an evil warforged to eliminate Lien? Played by Ahnold, of course...

ResplendentFire
2009-06-22, 03:56 AM
Granted. Thanks for the compliment.

Has anyone told you that your avatar has a bit of red on his shirt?

...I just rewatched that last night.

Surprise!
2009-06-22, 08:51 AM
In fairness, if he were to shack up with a human, a paladin is as close as he's likely to get to his dwarven mindset. But of course, Lien is considerably more... "loose" than your average paladin.

Agreed. LienXDurkon is my new official conspiracy/fantasy.

Let's see some blue bearded dwarf who has an unnatural acceptance of water!