PDA

View Full Version : KOBOLD FORCE FIVE [D&D 3.5/Dragonstar]

The Witch-King
2009-06-21, 01:01 AM
Kobold Force Five (D&D 3.5/Dragonstar)

It is the far future...

You are the leader of a small colony of humanoids alone in a remote sector of space. Only occasional ships provide any contact between you and the homeworlds of your people. As of late, ships through this sector have come under attack by Sahuagin space pirates. Intelligence has determined that they are using an ancient Imperial frontier scanner base to locate and target ships in this region of space and attack them. The base's scanners must be destroyed.

In addition, a message must be sent and the Sahuagin taught they cannot mess with your people.

Fortunately, your wizards have found a way to insert and retrieve a small strike force, magically. All that remains is for you to choose the ones who will go. You must assemble: KOBOLD FORCE FIVE.

Basically, this is just a thought experiment to decide what force of operatives you'd be sending if it were up to you and to discuss why.

Choose a force of 5 humanoids with 10 levels a piece that will go on the mission and explain why you chose them.

Primary Mission Objective: To destroy the base's ancient scanners and, preferably, return with detailed scans of their inner workings.

Secondary Mission Objective: Execution of the Sahuagin base commander to let his people know you are not to be trifled with.

Tertiary Mission Objective: Recovery of any portable ancient technologies.

Rules:

The race you choose must be a humanoid race. No humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, planetouched or half-breeds of aforementioned races. The race you choose is up to you. However, the higher the level adjustment for the race, the fewer remaining levels you have to choose class levels for the team members. All members must be from the same race.

You may only have one individual who makes use of a single prestige class in the team. He, she or it does not have to be the team leader however. Multi-classing is acceptable.

Should anyone feel equipment to be an issue, assume sufficient funds exist to provide each individual with whatever equipment they can carry including masterwork items but not any magical items of any specific powers (it can be generally assumed that the party has at its disposal low-level magical melee weapons, say +2 and equally low level magical armor, also +2, just for the sake of argument).

Since there isn't a prize or anything for this, make use of what official base classes you want. NPC Classes are acceptable.

Example: Narsnaga Ugrot, leader of the Orc colony sends five of his best to attack the Sahuagin and knock out the ancient scanner equipment. He decides to adopt stealth rather than a smash and grab. He sends: a Rogue/Assassin, a Fighter/Rogue, a Dread Necromancer, a Cleric, and a Wizard. The strategy here is to have the Assassin and the Fighter/Rogue proceed ahead of the main party using stealth to eliminate what enemies they can (they are of course utilizing spells cast on them by their peers). Behind them, the Dread Necro and the Cleric can animate the fallen pirates to add to the party's resources for big fights. The Cleric also provides healing and support spells and the Wizard is there for magical boomage should it be necessary or to provide cover for an escape. For larger fights, the undead Sahuagin soldiers go in first while the Assassin and Fighter/Rogue support and move up the flanks. Spell casters cast as needed. The Sahuagin zombies are brittle combatants but can still use the blasters they were issued when they were alive and so can still prove to be a useful adjunct to the party's combat power.

Edit: Originally the requirement was that the race of your choice had to be a race of monstrous humanoids but since Kobolds and Orcs both fail that test--I changed it to just humanoids. So--gnolls, troglodytes, hobgoblins, lizardfolk, locathah even--you're all free to participate. But not you Ogres, nor Tritons--nor the mighty warriors of the Satyr Empire. Sorry.

chiasaur11
2009-06-21, 01:06 AM
Kobolds.

Five of them.

If possible, one of them is Pun-Pun.

Keld Denar
2009-06-21, 01:09 AM
Damnit...I was gonna say.

5 Kobald Paladins

15 utterances of Pazuzu

INFINITE POWER^5

TSED
2009-06-21, 01:20 AM
Kobolds aren't actually monstrous humanoids though are they?

I thought they were reptilian humanoids...

chiasaur11
2009-06-21, 01:24 AM
Damnit...I was gonna say.

5 Kobald Paladins

15 utterances of Pazuzu

INFINITE POWER^5

I, for one, welcome our benevolent Kobold overlords.

(Actually, I sorta would. Infinite wisdom, infinite intelligence, and NG? Better than most governments, at least.)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-21, 01:31 AM
Necropolitan Human Dread Necromancer(undead building, uses Corpsecrafter and similar feats)
Necropolitan Human Cleric
Necropolitan Human Beguiler
Necropolitan Human Wizard(Utility spells, Conj focused-spec)
Necropolitan Human Warlock(Eldrich Glaive/Blast boosted as far as possible)

Go anywhere, kill anything, live forever. The entire party was necro'd by the Corpsecrafting DN near a Desecrated alter of Nerull. They all ride Skeletal Rage Drakes, and are guarded by a pack of Hydra Zombies. They also each have a personal bodyguard of a nearly-humanoid race not yet determined, and any of those dying produces a massive blast of neg energy, healing the party and hurting their enemies. The Wizard can put the party anywhere they need to go, and can make a battlefield unliving hell for enemies. The Beguiler can go anywhere the Wizard can't bring the whole mob, and can turn any enemy into an ally. The Cleric can make the whole pack far more effective, and the Warlock kills things. Oh, and 4 of them are full casters, 2 are members of the Big 5. :smallbiggrin:

Edit:It might actually work better with Kobold Necropolitans, but while all of these love small size, +1 nat armor, and +2 dex, most need the feat and skill points. Though at least they ignore the -2 con and -4 str.

arguskos
2009-06-21, 01:46 AM
Party 1:
Hmm. I'll go with... ushemoi (MM V)! Yes, it's cheating a little bit, but really, they're all members of the same race, so it should count! Of course, only three are low enough in HD and LA that I can use them, and that's only if I ignore the LA on the hadrimoi.

If I can use ushemoi, I'd go with this:
Leader, an arkamoi sorcerer 2. He's the brains and the face.
Blaster, another arkamoi sorcerer 2. He's the firepower.
Scouter, a hadrimoi scout 1. He's the skirmisher and scout.
Healer, a lashemoi cleric 5. He doesn't have a good wisdom, but with good rolls/point buy, he can be decent.
Tanker, a lashemoi barbarian 5. This one is way better at his job. :smallbiggrin:

Party 2:
Now, if that's not legal, I'd try to just take 5 zern (MM IV). Why? Because together, 5 zern can do pretty much whatever. Now, by ECL, they are ECL 15, so that's likely out.

Party 3:
Lastly, for a much better party, I'd go with... a tauric goblin-wolf! They are... the Warg Riders! (By the way, that works out to 3 HD and no listed LA).

Andy, their leader: tauric goblin-wolf fighter 5/someprestigeclass 1.
Bill, the caster: tauric goblin-wolf sorcerer 6.
Chris, the tank: tauric goblin-wolf barbarian 4/fighter 2.
Dave, the healer: tauric goblin-wolf cleric 6.
Earl, the scout: tauric goblin-wolf scout 6.

This party is just hilarious. Man, I LOVE MM 2. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: by the way, Sstoopidtallkid, you know he asked for Monsterous Humanoids, not Undead Humans, right? :smallwink: Just sayin'.

Haven
2009-06-21, 01:52 AM
Five Unbodied.

Doesn't especially matter what they are. Probably telepaths, maybe with one Monstrous Humanoid 4/Rogue 1/Assassin 5, to take care of the commander and for the oh ****, incorporeal shapeshifting assassin factor.

They could make their way through the base using their ability to assume likeness to blend in, then bluffing their way through (with a little telepathic assistance), and walking through walls when no one's looking. They could destroy the scanners either using telekinesis or by going inside them and using whatever that 1d6 touch attack is to break everything. Then the optional assassin could kill the commander, either by using his assume likeness disguise to get into his confidence for 18 seconds and then Death Attack with that touch attack, or just by jumping out from the floor or walls or something (possibly after turning INTO the floor or walls, or maybe an innocuous piece of equipment). Although I imagine the Unbodied would be capable of assassinating him without that.

The third objective would be similarly trivial. They could stir the base into chaos using their shapechanging, telepathy and incorporeality to royally screw with the enemy's mind and create maximum paranoia...then just walk out the door with the enemy tech, and fly out towards the rendevous point. Throwing everything into chaos isn't strictly necessary to achieve the third objective, granted, but I imagine it'd be helpful to the effort.

Gerbah
2009-06-21, 02:11 AM
5 Kobolds, of course.

The Team?

Leader: Maht - Dragonblood Sorcerer / Elemental Savant
Defender: Tal - Knight 10
Support: Khar'Jaht - Cleric 10
Stealth: Wyat - Rogue 10
Add-On: Luiz - Monk 2 / Ranger 8

For a bit of a dungeon crawl, I like it as a team. I'm partial to sorcerers, just 'cause, and elemental savant is nice for the sheer number of immunities you gain. Cleric is an obvious one, since a healer is nice, plus the Divine magic can certainly come in handy. The Knight is a great melee defender, able to persuade the enemies to attack him, which is nice with all the squishies (though Kobold's -2 CON might hurt a bit). Rogue goes well with that, getting a good flank in, plus stealth and trapfinding is important. Lastly, the Ranger/Monk will have great saves, evasion, and be able to do a bit of damage in combat. He's a generalist, and capable even if he loses his weapon.

The Witch-King
2009-06-21, 02:00 PM
Kobolds aren't actually monstrous humanoids though are they?

I thought they were reptilian humanoids...

Given that the thought experiment is named for them--I think we can include kobolds... :smallsmile:

Necropolitan Human Dread Necromancer(undead building, uses Corpsecrafter and similar feats)
Necropolitan Human Cleric
Necropolitan Human Beguiler
Necropolitan Human Wizard(Utility spells, Conj focused-spec)
Necropolitan Human Warlock(Eldrich Glaive/Blast boosted as far as possible)

Go anywhere, kill anything, live forever. The entire party was necro'd by the Corpsecrafting DN near a Desecrated alter of Nerull. They all ride Skeletal Rage Drakes, and are guarded by a pack of Hydra Zombies. They also each have a personal bodyguard of a nearly-humanoid race not yet determined, and any of those dying produces a massive blast of neg energy, healing the party and hurting their enemies.

I like this--it's completely outside what I myself would have thought of including which makes me really glad I posted this to begin with.

Lastly, for a much better party, I'd go with... a tauric goblin-wolf! They are... the Warg Riders! (By the way, that works out to 3 HD and no listed LA).

Andy, their leader: tauric goblin-wolf fighter 5/someprestigeclass 1.
Bill, the caster: tauric goblin-wolf sorcerer 6.
Chris, the tank: tauric goblin-wolf barbarian 4/fighter 2.
Dave, the healer: tauric goblin-wolf cleric 6.
Earl, the scout: tauric goblin-wolf scout 6.

I REALLY love this--especially since I missed the whole "tauric" thing the first time around. The idea of goblin wolfriders being small enough that they could take their mounts with them and attack inside the base is friggin' AWESOME! I know that isn't what you had in mind but I completely love the idea!

I also liked that you had a fighter as the leader and included a scout.

Five Unbodied.

Doesn't especially matter what they are. Probably telepaths, maybe with one Monstrous Humanoid 4/Rogue 1/Assassin 5, to take care of the commander and for the oh ****, incorporeal shapeshifting assassin factor.

They could make their way through the base using their ability to assume likeness to blend in, then bluffing their way through (with a little telepathic assistance), and walking through walls when no one's looking. They could destroy the scanners either using telekinesis or by going inside them and using whatever that 1d6 touch attack is to break everything. Then the optional assassin could kill the commander, either by using his assume likeness disguise to get into his confidence for 18 seconds and then Death Attack with that touch attack, or just by jumping out from the floor or walls or something (possibly after turning INTO the floor or walls, or maybe an innocuous piece of equipment). Although I imagine the Unbodied would be capable of assassinating him without that.

Terrifying--absolutely terrifying. I'm tempted to pinch this to throw at some players some time but I'm afraid it might be too much for them...

5 Kobolds, of course.

The Team?

Leader: Maht - Dragonblood Sorcerer / Elemental Savant
Defender: Tal - Knight 10
Support: Khar'Jaht - Cleric 10
Stealth: Wyat - Rogue 10
Add-On: Luiz - Monk 2 / Ranger 8

For a bit of a dungeon crawl, I like it as a team. I'm partial to sorcerers, just 'cause, and elemental savant is nice for the sheer number of immunities you gain. Cleric is an obvious one, since a healer is nice, plus the Divine magic can certainly come in handy. The Knight is a great melee defender, able to persuade the enemies to attack him, which is nice with all the squishies (though Kobold's -2 CON might hurt a bit). Rogue goes well with that, getting a good flank in, plus stealth and trapfinding is important. Lastly, the Ranger/Monk will have great saves, evasion, and be able to do a bit of damage in combat. He's a generalist, and capable even if he loses his weapon.

I didn't seriously think to consider kobolds until I looked over their stats in the SRD--given access to advanced weapons and equipment, there's no real reason not to consider them.

On the same note, and much like arguskos' inclusion of a scout earlier, I was surprised that it took this long for someone to mention a ranger. I'm betting that's because most of you are better acquainted with general D&D 3.5 and less with Dragonstar. Dragonstar has some ferocious ranged weapons given that its set in a high-tech future. Blaster pistols are 3d8 and the Blaster Carbine is still a medium weapon and it does 4d8. Blaster Rifles are considered a Large weapon and they do 4d10. Assault Rifles are only 1d12 but are fully automatic unlike the semi-automatic blasters.

It was largely the fact that such weapons were available (and likely to be used by the pirates themselves) that I figured bringing along someone who could animate dead was such a good idea.

arguskos
2009-06-21, 04:05 PM
I am not familiar with Dragonstar. I just thought that giving a tauric goblin-wolf (who has a large move speed) scout levels was cool.

I was actually considering making one of the Warg Riders a ranger, but I liked fighter more. You could safely change the leader to a ranger 6 though. :smallamused:

Glad you liked 'em.

Starbuck_II
2009-06-21, 04:57 PM
Kobold Force Five (D&D 3.5/Dragonstar)

It is the far future...

You are the leader of a small colony of monstrous humanoids alone in a remote sector of space. Only occasional ships provide any contact between you and the homeworlds of your people. As of late, ships through this sector have come under attack by Sahuagin space pirates. Intelligence has determined that they are using an ancient Imperial frontier scanner base to locate and target ships in this region of space and attack them. The base's scanners must be destroyed.

In addition, a message must be sent and the Sahuagin taught they cannot mess with your people.

Fortunately, your wizards have found a way to insert and retrieve a small strike force, magically. All that remains is for you to choose the ones who will go. You must assemble: KOBOLD FORCE FIVE.

Basically, this is just a thought experiment to decide what force of operatives you'd be sending if it were up to you and to discuss why.

Choose a force of 5 monstrous humanoids with 10 levels a piece that will go on the mission and explain why you chose them.

Primary Mission Objective: To destroy the base's ancient scanners and, preferably, return with detailed scans of their inner workings.

Secondary Mission Objective: Execution of the Sahuagin base commander to let his people know you are not to be trifled with.

Tertiary Mission Objective: Recovery of any portable ancient technologies.

Rules:

The race you choose must be a monstrous humanoid race. No humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, planetouched or half-breeds of aforementioned races. The race you choose is up to you. However, the higher the level adjustment for the race, the fewer remaining levels you have to choose class levels for the team members. All members must be from the same race.

You may only have one individual who makes use of a single prestige class in the team. He, she or it does not have to be the team leader however. Multi-classing is acceptable.

Should anyone feel equipment to be an issue, assume sufficient funds exist to provide each individual with whatever equipment they can carry including masterwork items but not any magical items of any specific powers (it can be generally assumed that the party has at its disposal low-level magical melee weapons, say +2 and equally low level magical armor, also +2, just for the sake of argument).

Since there isn't a prize or anything for this, make use of what official base classes you want. NPC Classes are acceptable.

Example: Narsnaga Ugrot, leader of the Orc colony sends five of his best to attack the Sahuagin and knock out the ancient scanner equipment. He decides to adopt stealth rather than a smash and grab. He sends: a Rogue/Assassin, a Fighter/Rogue, a Dread Necromancer, a Cleric, and a Wizard. The strategy here is to have the Assassin and the Fighter/Rogue proceed ahead of the main party using stealth to eliminate what enemies they can (they are of course utilizing spells cast on them by their peers). Behind them, the Dread Necro and the Cleric can animate the fallen pirates to add to the party's resources for big fights. The Cleric also provides healing and support spells and the Wizard is there for magical boomage should it be necessary or to provide cover for an escape. For larger fights, the undead Sahuagin soldiers go in first while the Assassin and Fighter/Rogue support and move up the flanks. Spell casters cast as needed. The Sahuagin zombies are brittle combatants but can still use the blasters they were issued when they were alive and so can still prove to be a useful adjunct to the party's combat power.

I think it is ironically funny that both the Challenge name and the example above are not elligible due to being the wrong race type. :smallbiggrin:

Dromite is a monstrous humaniod (LA +1) so everyone is level 9.
Leader: Flip- Psion (Telepath)/Anarchist (that Wilder Prc that Psions enter easier)- Good talker, etc.
Defender: Whitey- Incarnate -I like Incarnates
Support: Darkeyes- Psion (egoist) (uses Vigor/Empathic feedback for healing)
Stealth: Bent Antennae - Swordsage
Add-On: Meaty- Scout/Ranger (swift hunter) Ranged artillery.

The queen, leader of their peope, sends five of her best to attack the Sahuagin and knock out the ancient scanner equipment. Those that accept her ply and are accepted in return include: a Psion (telepath)/Anarcist, Incarnate, a Psion (egoist), Swordsage, and a Scouty/Ranger. They are the A Team.
Meaty and Bent antennae proceed ahead using stealth to scout/eliminate what enemies that are within range or need stealth to properly defeat. If they think Flip should make him an ally, they let him. The Psion also provides healing and support powers. The Flip helps with this like making the Sahuagin join on theirside (charm/dominate).
If funk hits the fan, then Whitey cuts the enemy to ribbons. He is immune to practically everything if he desires when he shape soulmelds (but once chosen that is it).

The Witch-King
2009-06-21, 05:20 PM
I think it is ironically funny that both the Challenge name and the example above are not eligible due to being the wrong race type.

Son of a... I would have sworn that Orcs were considered monstrous humanoids--right--fine--any humanoid race that isn't specifically banned in the rules is okay (no humans, dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings, yadda yadda yadda).

Geeze--now you've got me checking to see if Sahuagin are monstrous humanoids. *checking* Okay--they are.

Dromite is a monstrous humaniod (LA +1) so everyone is level 9.
Leader: Flip- Psion (Telepath)/Anarchist (that Wilder Prc that Psions enter easier)- Good talker, etc.
Defender: Whitey- Incarnate -I like Incarnates
Support: Darkeyes- Psion (egoist) (uses Vigor/Empathic feedback for healing)
Stealth: Bent Antennae - Swordsage
Add-On: Meaty- Scout/Ranger (swift hunter) Ranged artillery.

The queen, leader of their people, sends five of her best to attack the Sahuagin and knock out the ancient scanner equipment. Those that accept her ply and are accepted in return include: a Psion (telepath)/Anarcist, Incarnate, a Psion (egoist), Swordsage, and a Scouty/Ranger. They are the A Team.

I must confess that I have little knowledge of the psionics rules and am not acquainted with several of the classes you've listed (but that just gives me some reading to do!) but I have to say right off the bat that I think your character names are VERY funny...

Oh--and thanks for pointing out my little mistake. :smallbiggrin:

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-22, 05:53 PM
Kobolds.

Venerable Dragonwrought Kobolds, preferably. Perhaps 4 Sorcerers (or sorcerer x/thing-that-grants-sorcerer-progression-y) heavy on the draconic rite thingies.

Or just the previous Kobold Team, but Venerable Dragonwrought versions. With Wings and/or breath weapons? Yeah.

Of course, their real strength apart from being Dragons, free epic feats, and as many bonus sorcerer abilites or levels as they can ritually grant themselves, is that they are Kobolds. Queue insidious guerilla ambush tactics, complete disreguard for the geneva convention, and an obsessive habit of trapping absolutely everything they come across just for fun.