PDA

View Full Version : New Barbarian Feats

Seffbasilisk
2006-03-16, 05:51 PM
Comments and helpful suggestions appreciated

Further the Fury

Some barbarians fall further into their rage then others, growing even more powerful, while more easy to strike. Many barbarians of epic proportions started out as such ragers.

Prerequistite: Rage or Frenzy Class ability, BAB +2

Benefit: When in a rage or frenzy, you gain an additional +2 to Constitution

Strengthen the Fury

The same barbarians fall further into their rage then others often continued thier Fury to focus thier new rage, growing even stronger in it.

Prerequistite: Rage or Frenzy Class ability, Further the Fury feat, BAB +3

Benefit: When in a rage or frenzy, you gain an additional +4 to Strength and take another -2 to AC

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-16, 05:53 PM
They REALLY shouldn't be fighter bonus feats. Seriously. That's all sorts of wrong.

Seffbasilisk
2006-03-16, 05:54 PM
I was thinking of Fighter/Barbarians with that.

Yuki Akuma
2006-03-16, 05:55 PM
Fighters should not be able to gain feats that only help another class as bonus feats. Classes aren't meant to overlap like that.

Amotis
2006-03-16, 05:56 PM
The second one should have a BAB requirement, and maybe the first.
I think the first is located somewhere else, I think a racial or locational feat from FR or something...

Gamebird
2006-03-16, 06:07 PM
I think there's a problem with a 1st level human barbarian being able to get +10 to STR with rage. And yes, they get a -6 to AC, but have you seen "Negative AC Man"? There is a point beyond which it really doens't matter how awful your AC is. You're going to get hit and that's that. So you might as well drive the AC down as much as possible and bank on the chance that you can drop your foe with a single blow.

Anyway, I'd suggest requiring the character be able to rage 2/day (for Further the Fury) *and* say that activating this feat uses up a rage for the day. Same for Strengthen the Fury - it requires rage 3/day and uses up 2 rages.

I'm assuming these two feats stack. That is, if you have both Further and Strengthen, then you get +6 over normal rage. Is that so?

Lucky
2006-03-16, 06:09 PM
First off, I think both Yuki Akuma and Amotis are right in their respective points.

A) NOT fighter bonus feats

B) Need a BAB prerequisite

Also, IMO, by the name of it, and just because it also makes sense, Further the Fury I think should improve the Con bonus, hence "furthering" the fury( I know by only one round). Also, if you do make it con, I think the AC penalty is unnessecary.

geek_2049
2006-03-16, 06:26 PM
To prevent fighters form taking these feats make the prereqs rage 2/day for the first and mighty rage for the second. To counterbalance the negative AC man, make the fall back of the second feat becomes exhausted instead of fatigued when the rage ends.

Seffbasilisk
2006-03-16, 06:29 PM
Also, IMO, by the name of it, and just because it also makes sense, Further the Fury I think should improve the Con bonus, hence "furthering" the fury( I know by only one round). Also, if you do make it con, I think the AC penalty is unnessecary.

That does make sense. Edited to match.

Also added a BAB +2 Prereq for the first and a BAB +3 for the second

kouhoutek
2006-03-16, 06:34 PM
I would go BAB +4 for the first, and +8 for the second.

Also, augmented forms of rage should be more draining. Consider a stronger after affect, maybe subdual damage, or a will save vs. unconciousness.

Splendor
2006-03-16, 06:40 PM
There already are similar feats.

Reckless Rage [General]
Races of Stone p143
Requirements: Ability to Rage, Constitution 13
Benefit: When you Rage, you take an additional –2 on AC, but gain an additional +2 on Strength and Constitution.
These effects stack with the effects of Rage, Greater Rage, and Mighty Rage.

Ettercap Berserker (Fighter, General)
Unapproachable East pg43
Requirements: Ability to rage, Membership in Ettercap Berserker Lodge
Benefit: +2 vs poison, +6 to CON instead of +4. or +8 during greater rage.

Khyber’s Fury [General] (Dragon magazine 332 p45)
Requirements: Able to Rage or Frenzy, Devotion to
the Cult of the Dragon Below
Benefits: Your Rage or Frenzy is changed as follows:
1. the bonus to your Strength increases by +2;
2. the penalty to your AC increases to –4;
3. you cannot voluntarily end your Rage or Frenzy

Amotis
2006-03-16, 09:47 PM
I think there's a problem with a 1st level human barbarian being able to get +10 to STR with rage. And yes, they get a -6 to AC, but have you seen "Negative AC Man"? There is a point beyond which it really doens't matter how awful your AC is. You're going to get hit and that's that. So you might as well drive the AC down as much as possible and bank on the chance that you can drop your foe with a single blow.

Anyway, I'd suggest requiring the character be able to rage 2/day (for Further the Fury) *and* say that activating this feat uses up a rage for the day. Same for Strengthen the Fury - it requires rage 3/day and uses up 2 rages.

I'm assuming these two feats stack. That is, if you have both Further and Strengthen, then you get +6 over normal rage. Is that so?

The Masochist? Hehe...yeah...