PDA

View Full Version : It wasn't like other darkness...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-15, 04:29 PM
Cellarblight

Small Fey
Hit Dice: 2d6+10 (19 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), burrow 20 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+3 dex, +3 natural, +1 size), flat-footed 14, touch 14
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +1/-4
Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d3-1)
Full attack: 2 slams +1 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Cellarblight, spell-like abilities, slimy step
Special Qualities: Darkvision 40 ft., lichenfriend, low-light vision, resistance to bludgeoning 5
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 21, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +12, Jump +4, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +4, Listen +7, Move Silently +8
Feats: Ability Focus (cellarblight), Great Fortitude(B)
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually True Neutral
Advancement: By character level
Level Adjustment: --

Cellarblights appear as gnomish men with pock-marked, pale skin like that of a faded mushroom and wear an almost petulant expression with tightly pressed lips. Their eyes are huge and bulbous.

A spirit of root cellars, basements, and winerooms the cellarblight is both a potential curse and a blessing upon the homes it decides to take up residence. Possessed of constant sullen anger and fits of rage, they are difficult to appease and easy to provoke. They enjoy the cool dampness provided by the cellar, and the company of the creatures attracted to such places, but protest any great noise and bustle heard above. Gifts of tallow and turnips are often left, and for this a cellarblight will keep the food below from spoiling. If annoyed by a particularly noisesome household their ire takes form in the rotting and calling of worms upon the produce. Those whom leave nothing for the cellarblight and actively provoke him awaken the wrath that is always bubbling just beneath the surface.

Cellarblights always have a means of escape, usually in the way of a hidden burrow with only a thin layer of dirt or mud. If sufficiently threatened they dive within it and use their ability to meld earth to seal it behind. Though they prefer to stay in one place for as long as possible none are bound to any particular locale.

Cellarblights stand some two and a half feet tall and weigh about 20 lbs. They speak Common and Sylvan.

Combat
Cellarblights are cowards, and will do anything but get into hand-to-hand combat. They rely on their spells and summoned vermin to fight those whom enter below. Once within, they tend to close the doors of the cellar and lock them tight, allowing their victims to stumble about blindly. Those that die within the depths are rapidly eaten by summoned earthworms and other burrowing scavengers. The bones are then hidden and buried by the vindictive fey.

Cellarblight (Su): Vengeful cellarblights can transform its underground den overnight, filling the darkness with mosses and evil-smelling fungus that grows over everything below. The air takes on an uncanny, musty scent, filled with clammy humidity. Those whom venture within are gripped with an irrational fear of their surroundings, and must make a DC 14 will save every minute or become frightened. Those that make the save still remain shaken for as long as they remain below. If a natural 1 is rolled at anytime to stave off the fear, the victim goes into a state of horrible panic and dies unless a successful DC 14 fortitude save is made. This is a mind-affecting fear effect. The save DC's are Wisdom-based.

Lichenfriend (Ex): Cellarblights have close ties with the lesser forms of life, fungus and moss, rot and worm, granting it a +4 racial bonus to saves against disease and poison.
As well, they may use a form of the druid's Wild Empathy with vermin, oozes and fungal plants. The check is made with a 1d20 + cellarblight's HD + wisdom modifier.
And finally, they can use a variation of Speak With Animals/Speak With Plants at will that allows them to communicate with vermin and subterranean plants.

Spell-like abilities: Caster level 4th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.
At will - Arcane lock, Open/Close, Purify Food and Drink, Soften Earth and Stone, Summon Swarm (spiders only; can only have one swarm summoned at a time)
3/day - Darkness

Slimy Step (Ex): A cellarblight can encourage slime molds to grow upon the steps and floor of its cellar, requiring a DC 14 balance check to properly navigate. Those that fail the save fall prone. If upon stairs, the victim tumbles to the bottom and are likewise rendered prone, taking 1d4 damage. They are usually quickly ambushed by a waiting spider swarm. The save DC is wisdom based.

SilverElf4
2006-03-15, 04:38 PM
It doesn't collect little people in bottles or dress up like a jester does it? ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-15, 04:40 PM
It doesn't collect little people in bottles or dress up like a jester does it? ;)

Eh?

SilverElf4
2006-03-15, 04:43 PM
An Open Door (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=play;action=display;num=1129911856;s tart=0)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-15, 04:55 PM
Oooh, heh, no.

Wish I could have kept that going, but just too much going on (or not going on, as the case may be).

Leperflesh
2006-03-15, 04:58 PM
Contrary to what common sense would tell you, the word 'noisome' actually means 'smelly' or 'malodorous'.

I like the critter though.

-Lep

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-15, 05:05 PM
Contrary to what common sense would tell you, the word 'noisome' actually means 'smelly' or 'malodorous'.
Not according to my personal and online dictionary.

Noisome
"Offensive to the point of arousing disgust"

It could be a nauseating odor, or just a bunch of teeth-gritting racket.

Amotis
2006-03-15, 05:46 PM

I like the critter though.

-Lep

I think he's right. One of those old age definitions that has been turned different by today's modern usage. And I second the second part :)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-15, 10:02 PM
I think he's right. One of those old age definitions that has been turned different by today's modern usage
Well, I can't help how it was meant before I was born ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-16, 12:38 PM
Adusted its lichenfriend ability to allow it to interact with the stuff that lives in its basements ;)

Red_Scare
2006-03-16, 12:49 PM
Nice to see a familiar username...

Anyway, I absolutely love the idea behind this creature. It's very well done indeed.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-16, 01:41 PM
Nice to see a familiar username...
Who would I know you better as?

Amotis
2006-03-16, 04:15 PM

McCarthy? Is that you?

Red_Scare
2006-03-16, 05:10 PM

I'm Red_Scare on the WotC forums as well. Though, you have more of a board presence there than I do. Been on the WotC forums for a little over a year, and i just joined here. I mean, who wouldn't remember the username The Vorpal Tribble?