Abjuration
Cast time: standard action
Durration: 1 min/level
Range: touch
Target: creature or object touched
Area: 10' radius
Save: Will negates (special)
SR: No

This spell creates an area of anti-magic similar to the spell Anti-Magic Field but centered on one creature or object. A will save can be applied when the spell is initally cast if the recipient is unwilling, but no further saves are allowed once the field is constructed.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-03-15, 04:15 AM
Yeah... there should be such a spell.

*steals*

St._jimmy
2006-03-15, 05:14 AM
It's extremely overpowered. Without magic, at level 18+ a character is boned. Mages can't cast and the fighter it back to masterwork. I'd reccomend nerfing it with either a shorter time, an expensive component or limited effect. A good starting point from Spell compendium is:

Antimagic Ray
Level: Sorc/Wiz 7
Components: V,S,M
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range:close
Effect: R\y
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes

You must succeed on a ranged touch attack against the target. If struck and it fails it's will save it functions as if it were inside an Anitmagic field and cannot cast spels, spell-like abilities or supernatural abilities, nor do these abilities have any effect on the target. However the creature can still use spell-completion/spell trigger items such as wands or scrolls.
If this spell is cast against an object, the object's magical powers are suppressed, including any spellls previously cast on the object and any spells cast on the object during Antimagic Ray's duration.
The spell does not affect any objects other than the target, even if they are in contact with or worn by the creature.
materiel component: ruby dust mixed with iron filings, worth 100GP

Blade-Bearer_Ian
2006-03-15, 06:46 AM
Hmm... I like the Anitmagic Ray myself. Must convince DM to make it a greater/dark invocation for my warlock...

Maryring
2006-03-15, 07:02 AM
Yes, because unlimited anti-magic field is incredibly balanced.

bosssmiley
2006-03-15, 08:32 AM
Nolfar, there's a risk that Antimagic Emanation (being centred on an object), could be used as a weapon. Anti-magic slingstone anyone?

I know it's nowhere near as bad a a beholder's central eye ray, but that is still one heck of a spell given the DC of the Will save (19 + the caster's bonuses). Miss the save and you're either in, or (worst case scenario) are, a dead magic zone for the duration.

St. Jimmy, good job with Antimagic Ray. Modelled off Antimagic Shell + the Sculpt Spell metamagic feat from "Complete Arcane" but with a single target instead of the ray isn't it?

Just one question. The affected character cannot use any spell or spell-like (Su) ability right? But they *can* use wands and scrolls. Are worn/wielded magic items affected by this field?

Nolfar
2006-03-15, 09:12 AM
Actually the idea was to have it used on a single crossbow bolt or similar. However, if you miss, the spell is effectively wasted, and if it hits the guy can still walk out of it really, unless you cast it on him or something.

The extrapolated idea was to make a baseline spell for a possably epic magic item enchantment of antimagic like that.

And insofar as overpoweredness goes, remember that Antimagic Field is a Sorc/Wiz/Cleric 8 spell to begin with, this just allows it to be more mobile and cast on something other than you really. By the litmus test from Tome and Blood, that should make a +1 I think.

bosssmiley
2006-03-15, 09:31 AM
Actually the idea was to have it used on a single crossbow bolt or similar. However, if you miss, the spell is effectively wasted, and if it hits the guy can still walk out of it really, unless you cast it on him or something.

Or he could fire it back...

That's quite a cool image; a rogue antimagic shell zinging back and forth across the battlefield round-by-round as people lob the 'hot potato' item back and forth. Monks cutting the arrow out of the air, fighters deflecting it off their shields and mage-types running like frightened sissy girlymen whenever it flies past. ;D

The extrapolated idea was to make a baseline spell for a possably epic magic item enchantment of antimagic like that.

Crossbow of Antimagic Bolts or some such? That's just feeeeeeelthy. I like it, mind if I steal? :D

And insofar as overpoweredness goes, remember that Antimagic Field is a Sorc/Wiz/Cleric 8 spell to begin with, this just allows it to be more mobile and cast on something other than you really. By the litmus test from Tome and Blood, that should make a +1 I think.

You know, given that antimagic field is 6th level for everyone except clerics (SRD link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm)), you might actually be on to something here. I'd suggest nerfing the effect a little for the sake of balance perhaps. It's simply too tempting a universal leveler at the moment...

St._jimmy
2006-03-15, 09:32 AM
Antimagic Ray is from Spell Compendium, I didn;t make it, I was just using it as a comparison spell. Basically you target either a person or one of their items. If the person is hit they can;t use or be affected by spells but their objects are fine (including scrolls and wands) and if the object is hit it can't use/be affected by spells but the wearer is fine.

I'm not sure how you would target a person in full-plate. Possibly through the eyeholes.

and the thing to remember about the beholder's antimagic eye is, alright you can cast in it but it can't use it's other eye rays on you either. Except throwing things with the TK one.

bosssmiley
2006-03-15, 09:37 AM
Egg, meet face. :-[

Don't use Spell Compendium in my games, might fork out the $$$s now that I've seen the tasty goodness therein though...

Nolfar
2006-03-15, 09:24 PM
Or he could fire it back...

That's quite a cool image; a rogue antimagic shell zinging back and forth across the battlefield round-by-round as people lob the 'hot potato' item back and forth. Monks cutting the arrow out of the air, fighters deflecting it off their shields and mage-types running like frightened sissy girlymen whenever it flies past. ;D

Crossbow of Antimagic Bolts or some such? That's just feeeeeeelthy. I like it, mind if I steal? :D

You know, given that antimagic field is 6th level for everyone except clerics (SRD link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm)), you might actually be on to something here. I'd suggest nerfing the effect a little for the sake of balance perhaps. It's simply too tempting a universal leveler at the moment...

LOL, I love the description there, and it's basically one of the ideas I was going for. Immagine teh absolute havoc that would happen with just ONE AME enchanted bolt?

Insofar as the item goes, I was thinking more a weapon/ammo enchantment, and that if you put it on your bow it wouldn't give the AME to your ammo (and in fact would be the only "magic" effect on your bow or within 10' anyway). Be really interesting to see a fighter run around with an AME greatsword, for instance. I mean sure he shuts down any mage caught in range, but at the same time, he's more or less back to his base stats.

LordOfNarf
2006-03-16, 12:56 AM
to avoid casting it on mages, who become sissy useless peices of trash for the duration, make it focus magic, so that the subject of the spell has full magical effects x1.5, since if focuses all the magic in the area into a single object, evn ambient magic in the atmosphere, so the precence of magic items or charachters is not required. That would level the spell out a bit, since wizards would be more powerful, but effectivly have a minimum range. Just my 2cp