PDA

View Full Version : Just one final question regarding Miko (sorry)

Alex Warlorn
2009-06-21, 03:47 PM
Okay, I know these threads have been done to death. In light of how it seems the Giant has no intention of ever showing us which afterlife Miko got shipped to I shall present another question instead:

How come none of the characters have even mentioned Miko since her death? I mean, how do they even KNOW that blast from the castle killed her? THEY didn't see her die, and thus 'no corpse, not dead' comes into play as Elan would say. How come none of them are looking over their shoulders waiting for Miko to attack them in their sleep? Given how the order of the stick considers her an AN-tagionist in spite of being opposed to evil (just having a wrapped view of what evil WAS), and when was the last time the heroes accepted the idea of a major baddies of theirs dying in a conflict they weren't involved in?

That means that they have no reason to believe that the paladin who made their lives so miserable before is dead! And given their opinion of Miko, wouldn't Haley herself be thinking Haley was BOUND to have run into a Miko sided with Xykon back when Haley was with the resistance? We know Miko is too narrow minded (here a good thing) to join Xykon's side. But from the order of the stick's perspective, Miko's the ideal jerk with a license to be holier-than-thou that would join the bad guy's side so the heroes would finally be able to kill her.

Heck! They're so used to Miko wanting to stick a sword in them, wouldn't it have been perfectly logical for them to think Miko would have stolen a ROW BOAT and chased after the fleet with the single minded desire to kill them? And yet they've made no reactions, comments, or thoughts on their personal boogy-woman since Miko's death as if they all got a silent telepathic e-mail to inform them that she was now a non-factor in story, when we, the readers, are the only ones privy to that information as it appears.

Lupy
2009-06-21, 03:52 PM
Second page. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html)

The Oracle tells Haley, Belkar, Mr. Scruffy, and Celia that Miko is dead. Haley is shocked.

Blackjackg
2009-06-21, 03:53 PM
Bigger fish to fry.

They likely assumed she was still in the prison when it blew up. And even if she wasn't, they had more important things on their mind than trying to find her body.

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-21, 03:53 PM
The prison where she was supposed to be went boom. They're probably working off of that assumption unless they have any evidence to the contrary.

O chul can probably provide more evidence.

Morquard
2009-06-21, 03:55 PM
They most likely assumed she was locked up in her cell and died when the entire castle exploded.

Haley was in Azure City for 4 months, she'd have seen her if she was still alive.

They didn't mention the Linear Guild either, and they have proven to show up in the worst possible moments.

Defiant
2009-06-21, 03:56 PM

The Oracle tells Haley, Belkar, Mr. Scruffy, and Celia that Miko is dead. Haley is shocked.

Memory charm :smallwink:

Ridureyu
2009-06-21, 04:10 PM
They're afraid that if they say her name three times, she'll come through the mirror.

Blackjackg
2009-06-21, 04:21 PM
Haley was in Azure City for 4 months, she'd have seen her if she was still alive.

She didn't see O-Chul and he was still alive...

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-06-21, 04:24 PM
With an explosion as big as the one that took down the castle, the burden of proof is on those who would assert that Miko is alive. Until the burden can be satisfied, the assumption is that she perished along with everybody else in the castle. Same reason they thought O-Chul died.

theinsulabot
2009-06-21, 04:37 PM
With an explosion as big as the one that took down the castle, the burden of proof is on those who would assert that Miko is alive. Until the burden can be satisfied, the assumption is that she perished along with everybody else in the castle. Same reason they thought O-Chul died.

actually they had first hand knowledge o-chul was blown out of the castle as opposed to just shredded. the tea party remember?

EDIT: on an related note, while i have no interest in miko's afterlife, the giant should include a slow action, 10 page follow through of miko being ripped in half with his next book. now THAT would be bonus material

Dagren
2009-06-21, 04:44 PM
actually they had first hand knowledge o-chul was blown out of the castle as opposed to just shredded. the tea party remember?I thought they were surprised to see him there? Hinjo thought he was dead, certainly.

Kish
2009-06-21, 04:47 PM
They were surprised to see him still alive months after. Haley said she thought the creature in the darkness would eat him. But Haley and Belkar did indeed see him alive after the explosion.

theinsulabot
2009-06-21, 04:48 PM
I thought they were surprised to see him there? Hinjo thought he was dead, certainly.

that's because Belkar through him to the wolves. last they knew of him he was paralyzed, helpless, in enemy territory. its entirely reasonable to think he was dead. but he WAS in the throne room, (last they knew) when it blew up, and his body was intact later. so they knew o-chul had survived the blast, and the order, unlike we readers, dont know that o-chul has ungodly amounts of hp and a tendency to roll 20s when it counts

Dagren
2009-06-21, 05:04 PM
#475 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html). Panel 1. Haley is surprised that O-Chul survived the explosion. :smallannoyed:

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-06-21, 05:37 PM
Haley and Belkar never got a chance to report O-Chul's survival after the initial explosion. #663 is the first time since the Battle of Azure City that Hinjo and Lien have seen Haley as well as the first time they saw O-Chul. As far as everyone on the fleet knew, O-Chul died in the explosion.

Jagos
2009-06-21, 05:45 PM

Let's also remember that they forgot the trip. So it's as if that point is moot.

But no one liked Miko. And given the fact that most of the paladins that were near to the throne were killed in Xykon's Ball of Insanity, it's more likely to believe that those of the Sapphire Guard are assumed KIA until further notice. Though I gotta give O-Chul credit. He REALLY saved her behind even if she's dead.

holywhippet
2009-06-21, 07:05 PM
I thought the Giant said that Miko would be in the comic until the very end. He might have changed his mind but that would imply she is coming back eventually. Hated or not, the author has the final say in what characters come back.

theinsulabot
2009-06-21, 08:00 PM
I thought the Giant said that Miko would be in the comic until the very end. He might have changed his mind but that would imply she is coming back eventually. Hated or not, the author has the final say in what characters come back.

you may be thinking of the MitD, predictions, i.e., the giant said MitD wont be shown till the very end. i could be wrong however

Belkster11
2009-06-21, 08:21 PM
actually they had first hand knowledge o-chul was blown out of the castle as opposed to just shredded. the tea party remember?

EDIT: on an related note, while i have no interest in miko's afterlife, the giant should include a slow action, 10 page follow through of miko being ripped in half with his next book. now THAT would be bonus material

You mean we graphically see her peel apart?

My, my, you're the bloodthirsty type. :smallyuk::smalltongue:

Zeful
2009-06-21, 08:42 PM

It's comments like this that make me glad I'm not a writer. Because if I were the Giant seeing this would make me bring back Miko to kill Belkar, replacing him in the OoTS, just to spite people that hate her.

theinsulabot
2009-06-21, 08:43 PM
It's comments like this that make me glad I'm not a writer. Because if I were the Giant seeing this would make me bring back Miko to kill Belkar, replacing him in the OoTS, just to spite people that hate her.

does it help if i am not a huge belkar fan either?

Janmorel
2009-06-21, 09:10 PM
How come none of the characters have even mentioned Miko since her death? I mean, how do they even KNOW that blast from the castle killed her? THEY didn't see her die, and thus 'no corpse, not dead' comes into play as Elan would say. How come none of them are looking over their shoulders waiting for Miko to attack them in their sleep? Given how the order of the stick considers her an AN-tagionist in spite of being opposed to evil (just having a wrapped view of what evil WAS), and when was the last time the heroes accepted the idea of a major baddies of theirs dying in a conflict they weren't involved in?

Let's see...
-Roy knows she's dead.
-Hinjo and Durkon probably 1) assume she died in the explosion and 2)don't wish to speak ill of the dead.
-If Haley has spared any thought for Miko, it has probably been a generalized "Good riddance," but she's been pretty busy dealing with Resistances, Belkar, Celia, Golem-Roy, etc.
-V finds Miko largely irrelevant now that she's no longer holding up the plot.
-Elan knows that once you start talking about a presumed-dead opponent, said opponent is bound to reappear seeking vengeance.
-And Belkar's main feeling towards Miko is annoyance that he never got to kill her or her stupid horse. In the interest of his new-found character development, he has chosen not to share that with the others.

ref
2009-06-22, 03:26 AM

Here's hoping...

Cracklord
2009-06-22, 03:53 AM

Now I want you to be a writer...

Dixieboy
2009-06-22, 04:29 AM

Haley wouldn't remember that,

The only one who knows is Roy :smallbiggrin:

Primy
2009-06-22, 05:14 AM

In No Cure for the Paladin Blues he says that Miko is a recurring character. That could mean she was recurring for her part of the story, or will indeed come back. Isn't a definite statement.

Callista
2009-06-22, 05:56 AM
I don't see why people hate Miko so much. You'd think they'd hate an Evil character like Xykon more than they'd hate a Good one who was just... annoying and misguided.

LuisDantas
2009-06-22, 06:31 AM
I don't see why people hate Miko so much. You'd think they'd hate an Evil character like Xykon more than they'd hate a Good one who was just... annoying and misguided.

Being misguided is the one thing that makes good people any different from evil people.

Personally, while I recognize that she has often been treated in a lousy and unfair way (mainly by Shojo, Roy and Belkar), I don't have much sympathy for her delusions of grandeur, nor for her lousy and self-serving standards of honor.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-22, 06:49 AM
Being misguided is the one thing that makes good people any different from evil people.

Personally, while I recognize that she has often been treated in a lousy and unfair way (mainly by Shojo, Roy and Belkar), I don't have much sympathy for her delusions of grandeur, nor for her lousy and self-serving standards of honor.

Her extremes were what made me like her character. She's also one of those that everyone "loves to hate", I guess.

teratorn
2009-06-22, 09:05 AM
Her extremes were what made me like her character. She's also one of those that everyone "loves to hate", I guess.

Only love for Miko here, even after the fall. Best character in the whole strip.

SadisticFishing
2009-06-22, 09:15 AM
I am also a Miko fan, though she messed up. I hated her the first time, but after a good reread.. my mind changed. I sort of wish she and Roy HAD gotten together.

Optimystik
2009-06-22, 09:18 AM
She had potential (and in a way, still does) but #465 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0465.html) seems to indicate that she's over and done with.

FabuVinny
2009-06-22, 09:21 AM
I don't see why people hate Miko so much. You'd think they'd hate an Evil character like Xykon more than they'd hate a Good one who was just... annoying and misguided.Xykon is entertaining. And even when he gets serious, it's possible to appreciate how well written he is.

Miko mainly seems to have hit a sore spot in the D&D community from being the wrong way to play a paladin.

Shatteredtower
2009-06-22, 09:35 AM
Miko mainly seems to have hit a sore spot in the D&D community from being the wrong way to play a paladin.

Heh. I always see her as the right way to write a paladin played the wrong way. :smallwink:

Snake-Aes
2009-06-22, 09:41 AM
Heh. I always see her as the right way to write a paladin played the wrong way. :smallwink:

I believe that was the author's intention too.

homeosapiens
2009-06-22, 09:42 AM
It's the RIGHT way to play a paladin! :-)

The only way :-).

Paladin should be hated,it's just the way world is made. It ain't that entertaining when people actually like them. (look at Soon - Scribbles didnt like him eighter).

Kroy
2009-06-22, 09:49 AM
In No Cure for the Paladin Blues he says that Miko is a recurring character. That could mean she was recurring for her part of the story, or will indeed come back. Isn't a definite statement.

And it was said in War & XP that she ran her course. Her entire purpose was to blow up the gate.

Pronounceable
2009-06-22, 10:56 AM
Paladin should be hated,it's just the way world is made. It ain't that entertaining when people actually like them. (look at Soon - Scribbles didnt like him eighter).

None shall hate Soon. Especially not after his display of awesome. And Hinjo is great as well, none shall speak ill of him. Or Big Ears, for that matter.

O-Chul does not need to be shown support, he's conquered the net already.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-06-22, 11:51 AM
None shall hate Soon. Especially not after his display of awesome. And Hinjo is great as well, none shall speak ill of him. Or Big Ears, for that matter.

O-Chul does not need to be shown support, he's conquered the net already.

I think the person you were replying to meant that the other members of Soon Kim's party didn't like him that much... Hard to tell with so little information, but the Order of the Scribble did end on a bad note.

As for Miko, in this story there is always the possibility of her returning. All you need is 10,000 gp worth of diamonds, a high enough level cleric, and someone who wants her back.

No matter how "Final" her exit was, it's not really final until "she" decides it's final. As in a short scene where she declines returning. Sort of like how the OotS figured out that Lord Shojo wasn't going to give up his single malt scotch and cigars rolled up with poorly worded contracts...

In almost any other story, death is final. But not here.

jamroar
2009-06-22, 12:38 PM
As for Miko, in this story there is always the possibility of her returning. All you need is 10,000 gp worth of diamonds, a high enough level cleric, and someone who wants her back.

Without the last part, even. She could be resurrected entirely by accident.

This is assuming though she wants a shot at redemption at the risk of never seeing Windstriker again. She might decide she's happier where she is.

Also, a completely baseless epileptic tree theory about the reason behind Lord Shojo's unresurrectability

Could it be that the reason that he's not responding to raise attempts is not what the OOTS speculated at all but because he had himself Cloned at a remote location before his death? It seems like what a paranoid ruler who had access to high level magic services and constantly facing assassination attempts from within his own court would do.

Flickerdart
2009-06-22, 12:45 PM
Or if Tsukiko decides to stitch Miko's upper body to the remains of one of the leftover black dragon corpses, for the fun of it.

David Argall
2009-06-22, 01:09 PM

Our writer merely implied Miko was going to be present all the way when he compared her to Redcloak and Nale. The wording may be poor, but nothing definite was said.

Samurai Jill
2009-06-26, 12:32 AM

Our writer merely implied Miko was going to be present all the way when he compared her to Redcloak and Nale. The wording may be poor, but nothing definite was said.
...On the page before strip No. 174a:

"I already had the Linear Guild and Xykon, and was soon to introduce Miko as an antagonist who would be around on and off for the rest of the story."

That said, the apparent likelihood of recurrence at this point in the story is... pretty slim. I was sort of hoping that War and XPs would clarify the matter, but, no such luck. Anyways.