PDA

View Full Version : Item that gives +X to all stats

arkol
2009-06-21, 05:07 PM
Like the title says. I know there is one somewhere in one of the 3.5 books, but I don't remeber the name or even type of item (ring, belt whatever, but for some reason I think it's some sort of cloack?).

As normal for stat boosting itens there's the +2, +4 and +6 version. Call someone tell me the price of each, and the book where they're from please?

Mr.Moron
2009-06-21, 05:08 PM
Belt of Magnificence.

Miniatures Handbook, Page 42.

EDIT: Normal stat-boosters are just core, you can find them here (http://http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/magicItems.htm)

arkol
2009-06-21, 05:11 PM
Yeah I know about the normal ones. But the belt itself has the +2, +4 and +6 version correct? Is it kosher to post the prices of those versions here?

Mr.Moron
2009-06-21, 05:13 PM
Yeah I know about the normal ones. But the belt itself has the +2, +4 and +6 version correct? Is it kosher to post the prices of those versions here?

Correct. I don't know the policy, I know for the fact the information has been widely posted in threads on other forums. A few minutes with google should net you the information at any rate.

arkol
2009-06-21, 05:20 PM
Well, having the name made it much easier. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-21, 05:42 PM

Telling you that the +2 belt costs between 24,000 and 25,000 gp, the +4 belt between 99,000 and 101,000 gp, and the +6 belt between 199,000 and 201,000 gp is not, however, verboten.

Eldariel
2009-06-21, 05:56 PM
It's worth noting that by MiC rules, it's cheaper to buy the enhancements on separate items, unless you need +6 to all stats (216k to buy all the statistic bonuses in items, and that doesn't take an item slot like the Belt; if you only want +4 to one stat, it's only 198k too).

T.G. Oskar
2009-06-21, 06:30 PM
Mostly, the Belt exists (and wasn't updated) to have the benefits of an enhancement bonus to all stats with one single item, which explains the exorbitant price. Otherwise, up to that moment of course, the enhancements required a minimum of six items, and at least two of them were completely incompatible (Periapt of Wisdom and Amulet of Health, which both use the throat slot), and another two which are moderately incompatible (Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Gloves of Dexterity, but then comes Belt of Giant Strength and makes that a moot point). That also allowed you to have more magic items on you (Cloaks of Resistance, Rings of Protection, Amulets of Natural Armor, and so on, to speak of defensive items).

As for the MIC rules, recall that the bonuses are meant to be placed only on specific body slots (rather enforced and explained). So, you can't have an item that grants a +6 enhancement bonus to all stats aside from the Belt of Magnificence, without either spending a lot more of money because of incompatible slots, or having the same benefits on other places (such as an Amulet-Periapt of Health and Wisdom +6, a cloak of Charisma +6 and resistance +5, and so on), in order to save around 25,000 gp from the Belt.

The Belt mostly exists for MAD classes, because of the great benefits it provides, but most of the time even those classes have dump stats, which receive little to no benefit. You could argue that the only character who could really get a benefit to their MAD condition would be the Paladin.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-21, 06:48 PM
The Belt of Magnificence +6 is priced at a slight (7.4%) price reduction because it's extremely rare for a character to get full benefit from boosting all 6 stats. Most likely the PC would rather have not boosted 1 or 2 of them because that money could be better spent elsewhere. With the Magic Item Compendium rules for adding ability boosts to other items, it's probably rare for someone to be interested in a Belt of Magnificence. But there are a few (Paladins, maybe Monks) who might be interested.

Unless you really need all the boosts, or really can't resist a bargain, I'd suggest going for multiple items instead. Multiple items will be harder to steal or sunder. 6 eggs/one basket?

Thurbane
2009-06-21, 09:22 PM
A gestalt Monk/Warmage would benefit from +6 to all stats... :smalltongue:

kjones
2009-06-21, 09:27 PM
A gestalt Monk/Warmage would benefit from +6 to all stats... :smalltongue:

But would suffer the drawback of every single other possible gestalt class combination beating him up for his lunch money.

theMycon
2009-06-21, 09:45 PM
But would suffer the drawback of every single other possible gestalt class combination beating him up for his lunch money.

Commoner/monk?
Wait... yes, it might.

commoner/commoner?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-21, 09:53 PM
That makes as much sense as a Ranger/Ranger who dual wields his dual wields.

Quietus
2009-06-21, 10:30 PM

Dual-weilding swordchucks? :smalleek:

Deth Muncher
2009-06-21, 10:53 PM

Not quite. Dual wielding his dual wielding swordchucks. :O

holywhippet
2009-06-21, 10:59 PM
Five of the six stats boosted are universally handy to all classes anyway.

Strength - better carrying capacity
Dex - better reflex saves and AC
Con - better fortitude saves and HP
Wis - better will saves
Int - more skill points

Charisma is kind of universal, but only if your character attempts to use one of the talking skills.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-21, 11:03 PM
Five of the six stats boosted are universally handy to all classes anyway.

Strength - better carrying capacity
Dex - better reflex saves and AC
Con - better fortitude saves and HP
Wis - better will saves
Int - more skill points

Charisma is kind of universal, but only if your character attempts to use one of the talking skills.Int magic items don't give bonus skill points. Reflex saves are the least-useful, and Heavy Armor makes the AC bonus not nearly as important. Bags of Holding or HHH make actual carrying capacity irrelevant. Most characters should be trying to get as few stats as possible to do as much work as possible.

Knaight
2009-06-21, 11:20 PM
Sure, but they do all have a situational benefit at least (ie, dex when out of armor).

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-21, 11:24 PM
Sure, but they do all have a situational benefit at least (ie, dex when out of armor).I can think of very few situations where you would have your magic items but not your armor, especially given Glamered Armor or similar is so cheap.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-21, 11:30 PM

Dual wielding the dual wield itself. (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/01/27/episode-1087-exalted-feat/)

holywhippet
2009-06-21, 11:32 PM
Int magic items don't give bonus skill points.

Are you sure about that? I've only played 3.0 rather than 3.5, but my impression was that you won't get skill points for item boosted int unless you've been wearing the item non-stop since you gained your last level.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-21, 11:40 PM
Are you sure about that? I've only played 3.0 rather than 3.5, but my impression was that you won't get skill points for item boosted int unless you've been wearing the item non-stop since you gained your last level.Temporary bonuses never give you bonus skill points. Someone else will, I'm sure, cite a page number in a minute.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-22, 01:13 AM
you won't get skill points for item boosted int unless you've been wearing the item non-stop since you gained your last level. Note even then, I'm afraid. Temporary INT boosters never improve skill points, no matter how long you wear them.
Use your character’s current Intelligence score, including all permanent changes (such as inherent bonuses, ability drains, or an Intelligence increase gained at step 4, above) but not any temporary changes (such as ability damage, or enhancement bonuses gained from spells or magic items, such as a headband of intellect), to determine the number of skill points you gain.

Bayar
2009-06-22, 01:53 AM
Are you sure about that? I've only played 3.0 rather than 3.5, but my impression was that you won't get skill points for item boosted int unless you've been wearing the item non-stop since you gained your last level.

Yes that worked in 3.0 . No, the rules dont allow it in 3.5 .

BobVosh
2009-06-22, 03:43 AM
Dual wielding the dual wield itself. (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/01/27/episode-1087-exalted-feat/)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60864&highlight=duct+tape

Duke of URL
2009-06-22, 06:27 AM
The Belt mostly exists for MAD classes, because of the great benefits it provides, but most of the time even those classes have dump stats, which receive little to no benefit. You could argue that the only character who could really get a benefit to their MAD condition would be the Paladin.

While not a MAD class, I can actually see Rogues getting a lot of benefit from across-the-board stat boosters. DEX is, of course, the most important, improving AB, AC, and many key Rogue skills. CON for bonus HP and to help with the poor Fort save. WIS for better Will saves plus bonuses to key skills Spot and Listen (and Sense Motive). INT for key skills Search and Disable Device. CHA for all of the social skills and UMD.

STR is pretty much the only useless ability for a Rogue at high enough level to afford this. Call it insurance against a ray of enfeeblement basically making them immobile due to the weight of their own equipment.

sofawall
2009-06-22, 07:03 AM
Again, though, as soon as you name one stat that you don't need the boosts for, it becomes more economical to buy them individually.

Killer Angel
2009-06-22, 08:10 AM
Again, though, as soon as you name one stat that you don't need the boosts for, it becomes more economical to buy them individually.

...but you'll fill many body slots.
The main point of a Belt of magnificence, is not to save some money, but to use a single magical object to improve a lot of stats.

Haven
2009-06-22, 08:17 AM

Yo dawg. :smallcool:

Eldariel
2009-06-22, 08:33 AM
The main point of a Belt of magnificence, is not to save some money, but to use a single magical object to improve a lot of stats.

By MiC rules, they effectively don't take body slots as you can add those stat boosts to any item in appropriate slot.

Zaq
2009-06-22, 08:42 AM

Yo dawg, I heard you like dual wielding, so we put a Ranger in your Ranger so you can dual wield your dual wields.

Cyclocone
2009-06-22, 08:46 AM

No, no, no. The main point is to get the stat boosts you need without looking like a christmas tree.:smallbiggrin:

It's sad when a legendary hero has to wear a dozen trinkets in order to be marginally effective at what he does. But one belt is ok, even Thor did that.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-22, 09:26 AM
Again, though, as soon as you name one stat that you don't need the boosts for, it becomes more economical to buy them individually. Pretty much. But the Rogue that Duke of URL mentioned might think the Belt is cost-effective, because you can consider that 6th boost (to STR) comes at a 44% discount. The first 5 are worthwhile at the regular 36,000 gp cost, and (if it's cheap) the last one is reasonable as insurance against debilitating sudden encumbrance.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-22, 10:04 AM
Pretty much. But the Rogue that Duke of URL mentioned might think the Belt is cost-effective, because you can consider that 6th boost (to STR) comes at a 44% discount. The first 5 are worthwhile at the regular 36,000 gp cost, and (if it's cheap) the last one is reasonable as insurance against debilitating sudden encumbrance.

And not only do you need to consider the cost savings of the belt itself, but also the cost savings you gain by not having to add a markup for extra enchantments on the normal items. If you're wearing an amulet of natural armor and want a periapt of wisdom, you normally have to pay extra to either add the periapt enchantment to the amulet or pay extra to make an item in a different body slot, but with the belt you can gain the benefits of both with an actual discount.

Choco
2009-06-22, 10:21 AM
And not only do you need to consider the cost savings of the belt itself, but also the cost savings you gain by not having to add a markup for extra enchantments on the normal items. If you're wearing an amulet of natural armor and want a periapt of wisdom, you normally have to pay extra to either add the periapt enchantment to the amulet or pay extra to make an item in a different body slot, but with the belt you can gain the benefits of both with an actual discount.

That, and you also have 5 free magic item slots to fill up with something else :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2009-06-22, 10:33 AM
And not only do you need to consider the cost savings of the belt itself, but also the cost savings you gain by not having to add a markup for extra enchantments on the normal items. Outdated information, PairO'Dice Lost. There has been no markup for ability and other common boosts since Magic Item Compendium came out. See pages 233-234.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-22, 12:01 PM
Outdated information, PairO'Dice Lost. There has been no markup for ability and other common boosts since Magic Item Compendium came out. See pages 233-234.

Reeeally. I've had it for a while and never noticed that; I'll have to re-read it when I get home. Thanks!

Random832
2009-06-22, 12:16 PM
If you're wearing an amulet of natural armor and want a periapt of wisdom, you normally have to pay extra to either add the periapt enchantment to the amulet or pay extra to make an item in a different body slot

Wait - D&D says you can't wear two necklaces? I thought "arbitrarily limited equip slots" was a CRPG thing.

checks the srd... I see a rule about only two rings (my first reaction is 'I've got ten fingers don't I?), but nothing about amulets.

Draz74
2009-06-22, 12:29 PM
In my current party, I have a couple more examples of characters who would actually appreciate having all six stats boosted.

Primary among them is the quarterstaff-wielding Warblade. The need for Strength and Constitution boosts should be obvious. She wears light armor so she can fly, so Dexterity boosts are more than welcome. Intelligence is rather nice for all those minor Warblade class features based on it. Charisma because she uses Diplomacy and Intimidate a LOT (especially with the Never Outnumbered skill trick and the Duel of Wills rules from ToB). And Wisdom ... well, what warrior isn't worried about their Will save?

The Factotum Archer doesn't really need Charisma, but even that, he can use (via Charisma-based skill checks). All the other stats are highly useful. And the party Dragonfire Adept finds uses for all six stats, too. (Strength is the biggest "stretch" of the six, but, well, Carrying Capacity honestly really might be an issue. And even if she'll never spend a standard action making a melee attack, she'll make melee attacks as AoOs, since she has a reach weapon.)

So is the Belt of Magnificence worth it, for any character who can use all six stats, in light of MIC rules? No. It's only really optimal for the character who has a burning need for all six stats. And I'm not sure I've ever seen such a character. Certainly the Paladin examples people have been giving don't need Dexterity or Intelligence. (They're a lot like my Factotum or DFA examples.)

The main benefit of the Belt of Magnificence is, indeed, a reduction in the Christmas Tree Effect, fluff-wise. And for that reason, the Warblade -- who has more need of all six stats than a typical Paladin -- may end up getting such a Belt at high levels, in spite of the fact that getting numerous +6 and +4 items would be slightly more optimal.

Draz74
2009-06-22, 12:30 PM
Wait - D&D says you can't wear two necklaces? I thought "arbitrarily limited equip slots" was a CRPG thing.

checks the srd... I see a rule about only two rings (my first reaction is 'I've got ten fingers don't I?), but nothing about amulets.

Check this out. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody)

Duke of URL
2009-06-22, 12:32 PM
Pretty much. But the Rogue that Duke of URL mentioned might think the Belt is cost-effective, because you can consider that 6th boost (to STR) comes at a 44% discount. The first 5 are worthwhile at the regular 36,000 gp cost, and (if it's cheap) the last one is reasonable as insurance against debilitating sudden encumbrance.

And the key word there is might. Rogue is the only class I can think of off the top of my head that can actually use all 6 abilities. Monk and Paladin are very MADish, but INT has no practical application for either of them (insert joke here). At least a Rogue gets something out of a STR bonus, even if it's a piddly couple points of damage on an attack and bonuses to climb. jump, etc.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-22, 12:32 PM
Draz may look like a pirate, but he's actually a ninja. You should be ashamed of yourself, traitor.

"Arbitrarily limited equip slots" derives from the AD&D system, since pretty much every CRPG is (or was at some point) based on D&D. Specifically:

Magic Items On The Body
Many magic items need to be donned by a character who wants to employ them or benefit from their abilities. It’s possible for a creature with a humanoid-shaped body to wear as many as twelve magic items at the same time. However, each of those items must be worn on (or over) a particular part of the body.

A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn.
One headband, hat, helmet, or phylactery on the head
One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes
One amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab around the neck
One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso
One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt)
One belt around the waist (over a robe or suit of armor)
One cloak, cape, or mantle around the shoulders (over a robe or suit of armor)
One pair of bracers or bracelets on the arms or wrists
One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands
One ring on each hand (or two rings on one hand)
One pair of boots or shoes on the feet
Of course, a character may carry or possess as many items of the same type as he wishes. However, additional items beyond those listed above have no effect.

Some items can be worn or carried without taking up space on a character’s body. The description of an item indicates when an item has this property.

Draz74
2009-06-22, 12:59 PM
Draz may look like a pirate, but he's actually a ninja. You should be ashamed of yourself, traitor.

ARRRRRR!! Never saw why a mate couldn' be both pirate and ninja, meself, savvy? :smallbiggrin:

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-22, 03:43 PM
ARRRRRR!! Never saw why a mate couldn' be both pirate and ninja, meself, savvy? :smallbiggrin:

Because the reason is also a ninja--right there in front of you but completely undetectable. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2009-06-22, 08:54 PM
Eh? Ninja's are overrated. They lost to Spartans primarily because of the shield. And who said Sword & Board isn't overpowered...

Next time someone simul-posts me, I'm gonna say I got Spartaned!

Heliomance
2009-06-25, 10:26 AM
I've used a Belt of Magnificence before. In a high level game, it can be worth it.

Eloel
2009-06-25, 11:43 AM
You're all thinking char-creation. Think you have amulet of health and wisdom +6 on you, since it's supposed to be cheaper.

That bad guy you killed had an amulet of natural armor +10? Oops, 36k (for health & wisdom[bought for 72k, sold for half that]) down the drain. (Or more, if you sell the natural armor)

Curmudgeon
2009-06-25, 08:07 PM
You're all thinking char-creation. Think you have amulet of health and wisdom +6 on you, since it's supposed to be cheaper.

That bad guy you killed had an amulet of natural armor +10? Oops, 36k (for health & wisdom[bought for 72k, sold for half that]) down the drain. (Or more, if you sell the natural armor) At that point, who cares? An amulet of natural armor +10 costs 2,000,000 gp. It's Epic, man!

Malanthyus
2009-06-25, 08:23 PM
3.5 question regarding stat boosting items, If were multiple items that boost the same stat, are they cumulative, or is it just highest boost?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-25, 08:47 PM
3.5 question regarding stat boosting items, If were multiple items that boost the same stat, are they cumulative, or is it just highest boost?

They stack if they have different bonus types, so while the vast majority of stat boosters grant enhancement bonuses, if you can find an item granting a different bonus (unlikely) they would stack.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-25, 09:30 PM

That bad guy you killed had an amulet of natural armor +10? Oops, 36k (for health & wisdom[bought for 72k, sold for half that]) down the drain. (Or more, if you sell the natural armor)And if you find a Belt that's better than your Belt of Magnificance? Suddenly you're out 100K. All your eggs in one basket is never a good thing.