PDA

View Full Version : Nethack

Zeful
2009-06-21, 06:22 PM
After a reinstall I was wondering about finding the menu color mod for nethack. I then ran into several problems. The first being wikihack's unclear instructions one how to assemble them together. Then the program I need to compile nethack simply doesn't work. My only options are the webpage, uninstall and update. Then there's a .tar file amongst the multitude of files I need to do this, and they don't state what program it uses so I can open it and actually do this.

Can someone explain how to do this or do I have to rewrite the poor instructions for wikihack myself after figuring this all out on my own?

Zeful
2009-06-21, 11:24 PM
So almost 6 hours later, nothing? Well this is a disappointment.

pendell
2009-06-22, 01:21 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have time to tackle this now. Send me a PM on Friday if you haven't been able to solve it by then and I'll try to look at it this weekend.

If you need an answer more quickly, look up the USENET group rec.games.roguelike.nethack. It's still active, and some of the best players are there.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

DeathQuaker
2009-06-22, 08:20 PM
I second checking with rec.games.roguelike.nethack . They're pretty much the only reason Usenet needs to exist these days. :smallwink:

They are GREAT for technical advice. Be careful for asking for ascension advice, however. They can still be extremely helpful, but several of them have a habit of offering you useless/annoying/patronising advice that boils down to, "Well, why didn't you use your wand of teleport that you don't have because the RNG never gave you one? You stupid noob. You should be able to will one into the game with your mind."

I've never used any mods myself, so sorry I have no advice. Prefer running in Vanilla ascii mode, though the colorful kind, so I can spot the difference between a hobbit and a mind flayer a little more easily (mind flayers and dwarf kings on the other hand, be careful! :smalleek:)