PDA

View Full Version : quick metamagic question

Korivan
2009-06-21, 08:37 PM
Do empower, and maximise stack?

Keld Denar
2009-06-21, 08:40 PM
Kinda. The rules for it are written in the text for maximize...

Maximize Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.

Alteran
2009-06-21, 08:41 PM
You can use both, but the extra dice from empower spell are not maximized. That is, if you empower a 10d6 damage fireball, you maximize the 10d6 to get 60, but you roll the extra damage from empowered (5d6 in this case) instead of taking the maximum value.

Edit: Damn ninja/ice cream/aberrant horror.

hewhosaysfish
2009-06-22, 05:26 AM
You can use both, but the extra dice from empower spell are not maximized. That is, if you empower a 10d6 damage fireball, you maximize the 10d6 to get 60, but you roll the extra damage from empowered (5d6 in this case) instead of taking the maximum value.

Would you be rolling 5d6 for the Empowering or rolling 10d6 and halfing it? Coz I thought it was the latter. (I know that it works out the same in this case be rolling all the dice and halfing is easier when you're fireball does 9d6 rather than 10).

Kantur
2009-06-22, 05:50 AM
Would you be rolling 5d6 for the Empowering or rolling 10d6 and halfing it? Coz I thought it was the latter. (I know that it works out the same in this case be rolling all the dice and halfing is easier when you're fireball does 9d6 rather than 10).

10d6 halfed, I suspect for the very reason you mentioned. And it would work out similarly but not quite the same - 5d6 makes it easier to get 5 or 30 than half of 10d6 (I.e. needing 10 1s or 6s for the same result as 5 1s/6s)