PDA

View Full Version : (3.5, Spell) Magical Mid-wifery (PEACH)

DracoDei
2009-06-22, 06:25 AM
Heir's Teleportation
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Clr 3, Druid 4, Ranger 4, Paladin 4, Gleaner 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch (the mother, egg, cocoon, etc)
Target: 1 unborn, unhatched, or cocooned creature per 5 caster levels
Duration: Instantanous
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless) for mother** (if any), None for target.
Spell Resistance: Yes (Technically Harmless, but assume the baby doesn't have the understanding to lower its SR)

This spell safely and healthily* teleports the target to any location within 10' and safely deals with the removal of the placenta (if any) if there isn't a twin using it. The caster must maintain contact for the Touch requirement of the spell for the entire casting time.

*Meaning if someone uses this spell on an emerging (monsterous) butterfly that normally needs the pressure of laboriously squeezing its way out of its cocoon to force fluid into its wings the caster ISN'T dooming it to a life of flightlessness.

** Or father for anthropomorphic sea-horses, or parent for asexual budders, or... well you get the idea.

So yeah... a while back I created the magical equivialent of vaccines (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=104363), and here is the magical equivalent of a C-section.

Ceasarian

Sereg
2009-06-22, 10:43 AM
Well, it certainly seems like a usefull spell for certain situations (rare as they are likely to come up in most games). I certainly like the idea. It reminds me of a Star Trek: Voyager episode (if I remember correctly) where they beamed the baby out.

As for balance, I doubt that it would be a high level spell due to its limited uses, so I'm reasonably certain that you don't have to raise the level. Of course, I'm not an expert in balance so I'm probably not the best to give advice on it.

DracoDei
2009-06-22, 11:21 AM
Yeah, the level isn't even based on utility necessarily. It is more that it is a No-Save spell that is working through an intervening object (err... character in this case). Otherwise I would have made it level 2 to match it to Blink.

Lappy9000
2009-06-22, 11:31 AM
Kudos for giving the spell to Gleaners; seems like they'd be most likely to use it. I'm in the boat for reducing this to a level 2 Cleric spell, although it otherwise looks fine.

Lysander
2009-06-22, 11:32 AM
I think that it should allow a mother a will save to resist having the baby teleported out, if she is unwilling.

DracoDei
2009-06-22, 12:25 PM
Eh... I think that the sorts of plots that this might short-circuit deserve another 2 levels they can happen in by keeping it 3rd level. If you got 2nd level slots only you can at least throw a Bull's Strength and/or Bear's Endurance on mom (not that the duration is anything to write home about for those purposes at level 4).

As for giving mom a will-save, that sounds good, I will probably edit that in when I get backfrom running an errand done. How about maybe allowing it to handle twins at Caster Level 10, triplets at 15, and quadruplets at 20? Of course, by that time you can have a wand and cast it as many times as necessary, or just prepare it more than once... still it couldn't hurt...

Sereg
2009-06-23, 02:32 AM
I think that that is a good idea.

DracoDei
2009-06-23, 07:44 AM
I actually had already made both the changes I mentioned in my previous post.