PDA

View Full Version : More Fist of X spells? (3.5)

Kris Strife
2009-06-22, 09:00 AM
I'm pretty sure its considered sub-par, but I happen to think the Fist of Stone spell (Complete Arcane I believe) is pretty neat, but that its a shame that it ends with just stone. I'm not versed in the rules well enough to home brew things myself and ensure balance, but I was wondering if anyone else had given any thought to this? I'd like to see a stone/steel/cold-iron/silver/mythril/adamantine type of progression if possible. Thanks in advance!

Set
2009-06-22, 09:14 AM
I'd like to see a stone/steel/cold-iron/silver/mythril/adamantine type of progression if possible.

The spell pretty much writes itself.

A Fist of Silver would probably function almost identically to Fist of Stone, but count as a silver weapon for bypassing DR. That's not really worth a higher level spell slot, IMO, so you might want to bump it in duration or something. Perhaps the weapon sickens those vulnerable to silver for a round on a hit? Perhaps it has a weak version of the Ghost Touch property, only affecting those with DR/silver (lycanthropes, etc, most of which would never be incorporeal anyway, making it a very situational property).

A Fist of Iron would give slightly more damage over the Fist of Stone (as stone weapons do -1 damage over iron or steel weapons, according to the Arms & Equipment Guide), so add +2 to the Strength for that hand, and count it as Cold-Iron, and that would be a fine 2nd level spell, using Fist of Stone for all other traits (duration, etc.).

Fist of Mithral wouldn't really have any special bonus, as Mithral weapons have only reduced weight over standard weapons.

Fist of Adamantine would probably be a 3rd level spell, and use the increased strength of Fist of Iron, and ignore some Hardness, making it ideal for Sundering attempts.

To save on this progression, you could just make a 'Fist of Metal' type spell and allow the caster to choose the type of metal, gaining new types based on level. Make it a 2nd level spell, and start out with the option to go with Silver or Iron at 3rd level, and gaining Adamantine at 5th level, and perhaps other exotic options at higher level, such as Baatorian Greensteel or Serpentsteel or Thinaun or whatever. The material component would be a coin or coin-sized piece of that metal, held in the fist during the casting of the spell (coin-sized pieces of silver or iron are cheap, adamantine and green steel, not so much!).

Cieyrin
2009-06-22, 11:15 AM
I'd think it'd be more appropriate to maybe go for a focus rather than a material, though it'd need more of the wanted material to suffice. I'd almost want to see a bracelet made of some mutable metal with slots for a nugget of the material to make your new fist out of.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Set
2009-06-22, 11:30 AM
Just for that old-school 'material item as pun' Gygaxian feel, I'd want the Fist of Iron material component (or focus, whatever) to be a velvet glove, that is removed from the casters hand to reveal the iron fist.

Kris Strife
2009-06-23, 09:49 AM
I'd think it'd be more appropriate to maybe go for a focus rather than a material, though it'd need more of the wanted material to suffice. I'd almost want to see a bracelet made of some mutable metal with slots for a nugget of the material to make your new fist out of.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Hm... Maybe a roulette wheel type magical item? X spins/day, Fist of X for chosen material?