PDA

View Full Version : Wii Fit

Totally Guy
2009-06-22, 09:29 AM
I got myself this at the weekend. Anybody been using it to get in shape? I'd like to hear some success stories.:smallsmile:

It asked me for my height in feet and inches which is not a system I'm familiar with so I made a guess. 5 foot 4.

Then it told me my weight in stone and asked me to subtract the weight of my clothes in pounds. This was also unfamiliar to me. So once I'd subtracted all of my clothes I was confident that they weighed nothing.:smalltongue:

Then it told me that I was overweight.

This surprised me so I thought I must have guessed the height very wrong so it threw off the calculations.

I came into work today and measured myself to see how far out my guess was. I was 5 foor 4.

So I guess that makes me overweight.:smallfrown: I thought I wasn't.

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-22, 09:32 AM
I've seen a pretty definite improvement in fitness when I can force myself to keep up on the damn thing. Keep falling off of the wagon.

banjo1985
2009-06-22, 09:36 AM
Wii Fit's system for working out weight is a pretty unexact science. It doesn't take into account bone structure or muscle mass for a start, meaning that pretty much any sportsman or anyone with a bit of muscle comes up as overweight.

I come up towards the top end of Ideal myself, when everyone says I could do with gaining a bit of weight. I wouldn't take it too seriously to be honest.

As a workout machine, it's initially good, but the lack of variety in the activities really starts to get dull after a month or so. It does work though, a half hour workout a day on it seems to knock about 1lb off your weight, which is nothing to be sniffed at.

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-22, 09:41 AM
Wii Fit's system for working out weight is a pretty unexact science. It doesn't take into account bone structure or muscle mass for a start, meaning that pretty much any sportsman or anyone with a bit of muscle comes up as overweight.

I come up towards the top end of Ideal myself, when everyone says I could do with gaining a bit of weight. I wouldn't take it too seriously to be honest.

Yeah, the BMI really isn't the best way to judge over/under-weight.

As a workout machine, it's initially good, but the lack of variety in the activities really starts to get dull after a month or so. It does work though, a half hour workout a day on it seems to knock about 1lb off your weight, which is nothing to be sniffed at.

Psh, speak for yourself. I gained about 4 pounds when I first started using the bloody thing :smalltongue:

Totally Guy
2009-06-22, 09:42 AM
As a workout machine, it's initially good, but the lack of variety in the activities really starts to get dull after a month or so.

Maybe if I get a bit fitter I'll be able to manage the old PS2's Eye-Toy Kinetic game. And then I could alternate between the two.

It's probably right about the weight though. I've only got leg muscles that I can actually rely on to do anything.

Castaras
2009-06-22, 10:30 AM
The WiiFit is awesome. I can hear my mum jogging on it at the moment.

She has managed to, since beginning of March when we got it, lose over 2.5 stone. She has *never* managed to do that before, and she's now the same clothes size as she was before she had me.

Yes, it gets a bit boring. I'm guilty of not going on it much recently. >.> But it is extremely good if you persevere. I'm likely to be alternating Jogging and riding my Bike to give me my exercise, which I can add into my wiifit journal. =)

But yes. Brilliant piece of equipment, is getting my whole family into shape.

Linkavitch
2009-06-22, 12:02 PM
So I guess that makes me overweight.:smallfrown: I thought I wasn't.

I heard about a little girl being slightly taller and stockier then average was told that she was overweight by this thing. She ended up needing to go to therapy.:smallannoyed:

Oregano
2009-06-22, 12:23 PM
BMI is just a general indication and is quite innaccurate, even moreso for children because Children have significantly different builds to adults.

ninja_penguin
2009-06-22, 01:02 PM
Yeah, if it's using BMI, then it's possible for things to be a little wonky. I'm overweight and I know it; but when I originally talked to a doctor, he said that for me to get into the 'correct' weight range would actually be unhealthy, due to muscle mass and whatnot. It irritates one of my friends that he works out all the time and is huge into martial arts (and easily in ten times better shape then I am) and he comes out as 'obese' on the BMI scale due to his muscle mass.

That said, I've been idly debating getting Wii Fit, but I'm worried I'd just fall off the wagon too easy; what kind of activities do they have?

Totally Guy
2009-06-22, 01:15 PM
I equated the cost of buying it to 2 months gym membership. By the end I was hating that gym anyway.

The activities on offer are split into
Balance Games
Cardio Games
Muscle Strengthening
Yoga

The Balance games have a ski slalom, a ski jump and a soccer heading game.
The Cardio games have a step aerobic meets Dance dance revolution, a jogging game and a hula hoop hip wiggling game.
The muscle stuff is all sit ups and push ups.
And the Yoga I've not tried yet.

There's more than needs unlocking but I don't know what those are yet.

Cristo Meyers
2009-06-22, 01:26 PM
There's more than needs unlocking but I don't know what those are yet.

Other exercises, yoga poses, etc. It doesn't take very long to unlock most of the stuff.

Castaras
2009-06-22, 01:40 PM
Yeah, the balance games are fun. :smallsmile:

And yeah, there isn't need to get annoyed at the BMI, especially if you're only a kid. The Wiifit does say that we're only "very young" so we have less to worry about.

Joran
2009-06-22, 04:21 PM
Parents use it regularly. My wife uses it whenever it's too wet outside for her to use the Nike iPod running attachment. She's bought 3 of those attachments, and 2 iPods just so she gets credit when she runs. She's not particularly good with remembering where her stuff is...

If the motion controls for Punch-Out weren't annoyingly imprecise, I'd probably use the balance board more often.