PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see Hilgya again?

HealthKit
2009-06-22, 10:18 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but she hasn't appeared since, what, #84 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html)?

Do think we'll ever see her again?

SadisticFishing
2009-06-22, 10:20 AM
I don't believe so. That could be cool, in a way, though.

I think Durkon fell in love with her only because she was the only Dwarf he'd seen in a very long time.

Optimystik
2009-06-22, 10:23 AM
We are going to the Dwarven lands eventually (Both to fulfill Durkon's prophecy, and to visit Kraagor's Gate), so its possible.

Andore Mordre
2009-06-22, 10:28 AM
What Optimystic said, hopefully.

While catching up with the archives the first time, I kept wondering when Hilgya would show up again.

Ancalagon
2009-06-22, 11:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but she hasn't appeared since, what, #84 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html)?

Do think we'll ever see her again?

Yes. For two reasons: A) We are going to the dwarven lands, adding an already known character is "background for free" and B) Durkon already has very little plot and no real character-development so that leaving out Hilgya, who is a great opportunity for that, seems unlikely. Durkon DID like her very much after all and his meeting with her was one of the very, very few occasions where we saw him show emotion.

B) of course depends on Durkon getting resurrected. ;)

Andore Mordre
2009-06-22, 11:16 AM
B) of course depends on Durkon getting resurrected. ;)

Maybe Hilgya will resurrect him?

HealthKit
2009-06-22, 11:22 AM
B) Durkon already has very little plot and no real character-development

I hate to say it, but I agree. There's not much to :durkon: other than 1) he's a dwarf and 2) he's a cleric of Thor.

That's pretty much the reason why I'm wondering if Hilgya will come back, she made the guy more interesting.

Sure he's got the whole might-destroy-the-dwarven-people-when-he-comes-back-home thing going on, but who knows if that will actually happen. Besides, everyone else has got their own foreshadowing of future plot lines too.

SadisticFishing
2009-06-22, 11:27 AM
I don't actually expect us to see the Dwarven lands again so thoroughly within the lifetime of the comic. I expect it to end at Girard's Gate...

But I could easily be wrong :P

Why would she be in the Dwarven Lands?

Ancalagon
2009-06-22, 11:32 AM

That would be so awesome that you should put it in spoilers. ;)

Andore Mordre
2009-06-22, 11:34 AM
K, done, sorry.

Ancalagon
2009-06-22, 11:37 AM
Why would she be in the Dwarven Lands?

Because, doh, she's... a dwarf? ;)

Serious: Durkon sent her back to her dwarf-husband (which does not mean she does not try to kill him again, this time with a stronger poison or with an axe), so it seems valid to assume that they, as dwarves, are in "the dwarven lands". Which could be rather large and does not mean that the Order will travel to the "dwarven place" in the "dwarven lands" where her husband lives (dies?) and where, by logic, she should be as well.

But Durkon basically is of now the same as he was in the first tavern he entered in human lands. He is a lawful, clanky, beer-loving, tree-fearing hammer-dwarf and he basically was it all the time, without any doubts and only very few emotional moments (and some of those are even battle-angry, so they do not really count).
I want to see more Durkon-Plot (and when even Belkar, who really was nothing but cardboard-chaotic-evil) can get something cool, Rich will probably also come up with something for Durkon).

SadisticFishing
2009-06-22, 11:41 AM
Oh, I forgot he sent her back.. Wonder if she went.

I like Durkon's lack of character development :P he is.. Dwarf.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-06-22, 11:42 AM
Ye Olde Speculation Tyme!
OK, Durkon's "Quality Time" with Hilgya was also his first time. Which tells me that it is quite unlikely that Durkon had a "Dwarven Defender" in his wallet.

So yes, I'm fully expecting Hilgya to return to the story, and all sorts of character development for Durkon. I've been trying to think of something light and comedic for the plot though... Maybe a spoof of Jerry Springer/Maury Povich.
Just a thought...

Ancalagon
2009-06-22, 11:46 AM
IF Durkon gets some plot and character development, it surely won't be light. Light stuff isn't going to scratch him, not even mentioning making him really think about himself and maybe adjust himself... if you want to get results from Durkon, you really have to get out the sledgehammer.

HealthKit
2009-06-22, 12:01 PM
Ye Olde Speculation Tyme!
OK, Durkon's "Quality Time" with Hilgya was also his first time. Which tells me that it is quite unlikely that Durkon had a "Dwarven Defender" in his wallet.

So yes, I'm fully expecting Hilgya to return to the story, and all sorts of character development for Durkon. I've been trying to think of something light and comedic for the plot though... Maybe a spoof of Jerry Springer/Maury Povich.
Just a thought...

That was awesome.

But how old would their child be by now? Kazumi's coming right along with her pregancy, if Hilgya got knocked up by the Durkster I'm thinking their kid's probably a toddler by now.

jamroar
2009-06-22, 12:07 PM
Because, doh, she's... a dwarf? ;)

Serious: Durkon sent her back to her dwarf-husband (which does not mean she does not try to kill him again, this time with a stronger poison or with an axe), so it seems valid to assume that they, as dwarves, are in "the dwarven lands". Which could be rather large and does not mean that the Order will travel to the "dwarven place" in the "dwarven lands" where her husband lives (dies?) and where, by logic, she should be as well.

Having a chaotic outlook, I doubt she would return to the dwarven lands against her will just because Durkon told her to. She could be wandering the human lands still.

Maybe she'll sign on with the Linear Guild again? They are short of a healer at the moment, after all.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-06-22, 12:29 PM
That was awesome.

But how old would their child be by now? Kazumi's coming right along with her pregancy, if Hilgya got knocked up by the Durkster I'm thinking their kid's probably a toddler by now.

Well...
According to the Book of Erotic Fantasy, dwarven gestation time is one year. So considering the events from then to now? Yeah, I'm figuring Lil' Durgya is about one or so... Just learning how to swing a pick down in the mines!

The question is whether the story will stay light, or turn dark again. Dark is easy: Hilgya places a curse on the baby, sort of a poisonous bomb, gives the baby to Durkon who takes it home. The baby goes off, everybody dies.

Still, I don't see a way of bringing doom on everybody in a light and humorous manner...

Ancalagon
2009-06-22, 12:31 PM
Having a chaotic outlook, I doubt she would return to the dwarven lands against her will just because Durkon told her to. She could be wandering the human lands still.

But... that would be booooring. ;)

Trizap
2009-06-22, 12:34 PM
maybe Durkons lack of character development is some sort of deconstruction on how all dwarves are the same?

David Argall
2009-06-22, 01:54 PM
A very definite maybe.

The problems include that the cast is already huge. We know a great many of them are not going to show again. So that makes for good odds that we have seen all of Hilgya.
Hilgya's story as is is reasonably complete. While continuations suggest themselves, it's pretty easy to just drop her as is. In the commentaries, you will find that originally all of the LG except Nale were deemed one timers. Sabine and Thog just clicked and stayed on. So at first Hilgya didn't have any continuation. That is easily corrected as the plot develops of course, but there is a default that we have seen the last of her. Unlike some of the others, there is no hint she will make a comeback.
Now the comedy aspects are widespread and potentially fantastic, our writer's strong points do not seem to include social comedy and he may actively try to avoid such themes, pretty much leaving Hilgya off stage.
Still, they are such attractive themes, and the final[?] book as far as we can tell has a large number of blank pages that need to be filled. So her return is not to be ruled out.

Skorj
2009-06-22, 02:34 PM
Well...
According to the Book of Erotic Fantasy, dwarven gestation time is one year. So considering the events from then to now? Yeah, I'm figuring Lil' Durgya is about one or so... Just learning how to swing a pick down in the mines!

Wait, what?! I know I lost touch with the D&D rules, but don't tell me Phil Foglio wrote a sourcebook? :smallconfused: Here I though "Sex in D&D" was just a bonus strip for the collected What's New with Phil and Dixie books.

Mr. Pin
2009-06-22, 02:52 PM
Heck yes, we'll see her again! her and Durkon definitely have some unfinished business, and we still need a "wait, she's a cleric of Loki?" moment.

MickJay
2009-06-22, 02:59 PM
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned".

Since the strip when Hilgya ran off crying, I've been expecting her to pop up in some very inconvenient (for Durkon, and possibly rest of the OOTS) moment. There's definitely big potential for drama if she returns, but I guess it depends on where the Giant wants the story to go.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-06-22, 04:42 PM
Wait, what?! I know I lost touch with the D&D rules, but don't tell me Phil Foglio wrote a sourcebook? :smallconfused: Here I though "Sex in D&D" was just a bonus strip for the collected What's New with Phil and Dixie books.

It's not an official book, but I do indeed have a copy of it. :smallbiggrin:

And as an added bonus, Phil Foglio did include a strip (cough, cough) for the book. Yes, he finally sealed the deal!

Cracklord
2009-06-22, 05:56 PM
There's a book of erotic fantasy??!??!?
4th edition, right?

Oh, and I want Durkon to have a crisis of faith, as he loses belief in his god (Which would be very reasonable).

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-22, 05:57 PM
No, we will never see her again.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-06-22, 06:02 PM
There's a book of erotic fantasy??!??!?
4th edition, right?

Oh, and I want Durkon to have a crisis of faith, as he loses belief in his god (Which would be very reasonable).

3.5 Edition, published by Arthaus, Inc. Couldn't tell you where to get it now, but eBay and your Friendly Local Game Store would be good places to start.

Pronounceable
2009-06-22, 06:17 PM
I'm hoping not, because how expected it is. The way things are, endless comedic and dramatic possibilities beg to have her back. Which is why she shouldn't, closure is too obviously required and it'd be nice to leave it hanging. It canwill be awesome if Giant does that, but I'm hoping he won't.Meaning, it'd be awesome beyond words and universe would implode so, no.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2009-06-23, 05:20 AM
I hope so; she was one of my fav. random encounters in the strip.

even if it just added pages in a book

Jair Barik
2009-06-23, 05:33 AM
I believe the above mentioned event to be more likely than many believe. Think how long it took for the black dragon thing to be resolved. Originally it seemed to be just a joke to get the play dragon mags in.

Personally i'm hoping the LG Druid will seek revenge on Xykon for the death of his brother druids and also shred the Oracle after he goes to meet him.

Generic Name #6
2009-06-23, 05:48 AM
My initial reaction was "no", but posts in this thread have convinced me otherwise, especially

Andore Mordre
2009-06-23, 08:05 AM
My initial reaction was "no", but posts in this thread have convinced me otherwise, especially

Glad to have been of assistance. :smallbiggrin: