PDA

View Full Version : A Valuable Component of Any Metal Video; the Screaming Skull

Arachu
2009-06-22, 10:30 AM
Hey all. I was totally in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114691) and somehow got inspired to create a screaming, crying skull that eats people's faces. Also, there's a spell to create Cacophony Golems (as Rappy put it :smallsmile:), but I haven't made it yet...

Anyhow, here's the Screaming Skull, most likely courtesy of heavy metal album covers :smallamused:. Have fun!

Oh, and also; I kind of don't know how to work CRs (still know most of the other math, though)... So, any help would be appreciacated. Oh, yeah, I just tweaked a word beyond recovery.:smalltongue:

Crying Skull
Diminutive Undead

Hit Dice: 2D12+1 (13 hp)

Initiative: +2

Speed: Fly 40 ft. (8 squares) (perfect)

Armor Class: 18(+2 DEX, +6 Size), touch 16, Flat-footed 16

Base Attack/Grapple: +1 /–2

Attack: Bite D8

Full Attack: Bite D8

Space/Reach: 1 ft./1/2 ft.

Special Attacks: Improved Grapple

Special Qualities: Blindsight, Leader Dependence, Undead Traits

Saves: Fort +1 Ref +2 Will +2

Abilities: Str 10 Dex 13 Con -- Int -- Wis 11 Cha 12

Skills: N/A

Feats: Improved Grab

Organization: Trio, Swarm 5-10, Mass >15

Challenge Rating: ?/?

Treasure: None

Alignment: True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral*

Advancement: 2-3 Diminutive, 4-5 Tiny…

*If the animator dies, they disband and attack everything (including each other).

-Description-
Horrid, reeking of the rotting flesh of decay, and sheathed in flames and crimson light, Crying Skulls are a horrific sight to behold. Their name comes from the tears that boil from their empty eye sockets while they scream in rage.

-Typical size & weight-
Most Crying Skulls are humanoid; that is, most are from Small or Medium humanoids. They all vary somewhat in shape, but they should be treated as if they were Diminutive for humanoid skulls. Every size category after Medium increases the Crying Skull’s size by 1, but remember that the spell only works on humanoids…

Combat
Crying Skulls are dull creatures, daftly biting the closest moving thing in combat. It is possible to trick them into biting objects, although they stop attacking it when it stops moving (though breathing (and the internal workings of constructs) can set them off, so you must not stop).

(Combat behavior)
As stated, Crying Skulls have no regard for their own safety. They attack anything they are ordered to (or not ordered not to).

(Combat effects)

Improved Grapple:
When a Crying Skull makes a successful Bite attack, it may also make a Grapple attempt. If they succeed in grappling their foe, then they latch on and bite it repeatedly until they are pulled off (STR; DC 13).

Blindsight:
Crying Skulls do not see, but they can perceive all objects and creatures within 60 ft as though they could see them.

Leader Dependence:
Crying Skulls have to be maintained by whatever force (or person) animated them. When said entity is no longer a factor, every Skull they are animating attacks everything. Friend, foe, even other Skulls; it matters not. Thus, when the animator is killed (or otherwise removed), every Crying Skull in its influence disbands from its organization and becomes an individual that is hostile toward everything.

Flight: Crying Skulls hover about propelled by either the flames or some other force. They have Perfect maneuverability.

Rappy
2009-06-22, 09:28 PM
I like the idea you have going here! You might want to change the actual name to the crying skull, though. That reference was to an actual creature from the Tome of Horrors II :smallredface:

I'd have to run it through some checkups to see if there are any stat touchups you could do. You might also think about having a frightful or unnerving presence ability from its constant state of despair.

Worira
2009-06-22, 09:32 PM
That's actually improved grab you've got there, not improved grapple. I assume Hover is a racial bonus feat?

Arachu
2009-06-22, 11:54 PM
Right... Fixed the Grab bit (remembered the feat, but name came up grapple...)

Also, yes, hover is racial (I forgot if perfect maneuverability needs it, so... Yeah...)

DracoDei
2009-06-23, 12:39 AM
The Hover feat is not required to have Perfect manuvariablity that I know of.

TSED
2009-06-23, 08:16 AM
2 things:

1) Golems aren't undead. Pick which type you want to go for and make it that, but as of right now it's sending mixed signals.

2) Man, a screaming skull with no screaming SLAs? That's so not metal.

Arachu
2009-06-23, 10:26 AM
Very well... Fixed the name.

As for the screaming, that's for something with a little more "muscle" :xykon:

EDIT: ... If a golem were made of Fine-sized undead, would it not be both? :smallamused:

Hey, that's a good idea... :elan:

Arachu
2009-06-23, 11:28 AM
Made the spell :smallcool:

Possess Skulls
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: 10 or less intact skulls
Effect: Skulls are animated as Crying Skulls
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This spell can be used to turn up to 10 intact skulls into Crying Skulls. It does not matter whether they are clean; the fire that envelops them burns any flesh off. Thus, you can use it on ‘clean’ skulls, or fresh kills.
An animated skull can be ordered to follow, defend, and attack. If they ‘attack’, they chase their prey until they are either dead, or the skull is dead again. In addition, the skulls do not attack anyone that the animator does not want to kill (however, if he is indifferent as to their life, they attack anyway).
If a Crying Skull is destroyed, it cannot be animated again. If you are in the area of a consecrate spell, you can only animate 5. If you are in a desecrate spell area, you can summon up to 15. Entering a consecrated area does not kill any active skulls. Crying Skulls do not count toward the undead limit, nor do undead count toward the skull limit.

Material Component: A slab of obsidian that weighs 1 pound per 5 skulls created. It costs 50 gold per pound.
If destroyed, the obsidian is not usable for the spell. When used, the magic power causes it to crumble (but, fortunately, not shatter) into worthless charcoal.

The level could be a tad off... But it sounds about right...

DracoDei
2009-06-23, 04:08 PM
15 is no where NEAR enough to constitute a swarm. I would remove any mention of that term.

Arachu
2009-06-23, 05:39 PM
Right... Remembered what constitutes a swarm, but forgot the sheer numbers required :smallredface:

Okay, fixing the spell.

P.S. So, does anyone know how to work CRs? (... and XP? :smallredface:)

EDIT: I may have also jumped the gun regarding size... I just glanced at the size scale and saw the cat (or whatever it is, I'm still not quite sure).

So, yeah, Diminutive for Small creature's skulls, but Tiny for Medium-sizers...

Arachu
2009-06-23, 06:16 PM
Gah, I can't believe I posted it unfinished :smalleek:.
Well, it's late, but dang it, it's finished. Good for me!

... Again, I'm not sure how to work CRs...

Screaming Skull
Small Undead

Hit Dice: 6D12+1 (39 hp)

Initiative: +2

Speed: Fly 30 ft. (6 squares) (good)

Armor Class: 15(+2 DEX, +1 Size, +2 natural), touch 12, Flat-footed 14

Base Attack/Grapple: +2 /+1

Attack: Bite D12

Full Attack: Bite D12

Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.

Special Attacks: Improved Grapple, Sonic Scream

Special Qualities: Blindsight, Undead Traits

Saves: Fort +1 Ref +2 Will +2

Abilities: Str 13 Dex 13 Con -- Int 2 Wis 11 Cha 12

Skills: N/A

Feats: Improved Grab

Organization: Single, pack (1-2 + 3D4 Crying Skulls)

Challenge Rating: ?/?

Treasure: 1/3 standard (devoured coins)

Alignment: True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral*

Advancement: 6-7 Small, 8-9 Medium…

*If the animator dies, they disband and attack everything (including each other).

-Description-
Massive, imposing skulls from large creatures such as Giants. They cannot be animated via the conventional spell, thus they are typically brought into being via more grand supernatural means. In these cases, the Screaming Skull acts as leader (or puppetmaster, whichever :P) While Crying Skulls are utterly mindless, Screaming Skulls have some kind of 'almost-intelligence' that tells them to toy with their prey before eating it. In addition, Screaming skulls do not cry; the liquid is evaporated by flames in the eye sockets.

-Typical size & weight-
Screaming Skulls used to belong to Large creatures. They typically have even sharper teeth and always have even sharper jaws than Crying Skulls.

Combat
Screaming Skulls, while not especially bright, are far more intelligent than their undersized peers. As such, they can command Crying Skulls in the area (unless they already have a leader, such as a caster). In addition, they do not blindly throw themselves (or their underlings) at their prey, preferring a much more... Entertaining method of hunting.

(Combat behavior)
Screaming Skulls are just aware of the threat imposed by physical harm. As such, they take no chances in combat, ambushing and trapping their prey. Despite this, they tend to fly into a blinded fury when they finally attack, retreating only when faced with actual danger.

(Combat effects)

Improved Grapple:
When a Screaming Skull makes a successful Bite attack, it may also make a Grapple attempt. If they succeed in grappling their foe, then they latch on and bite it repeatedly until they are pulled off (STR; DC 16).

Blindsight:
Screaming Skulls do not see, but they can perceive all objects and creatures within 80 ft as though they could see them.

Flight:
Screaming Skulls hover about propelled by either the flames or some other force. They have Good maneuverability.

Sonic Scream:
Screaming Skulls always scream. Occasionally, they unleash a wail loud enough to disrupt matter. Once per day, a Screaming Skull may use Shout as a spell-like ability. They cannot use Sonic Scream during a grapple; their mouths are closed.