Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal (self)
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: None (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: None

Anti-Magic Fields cannot negate certain powerful magic, such as some epic spells, artifacts, and deities. Arcane Charge increases the magical energy of a spell to likewise override an AM field.

A caster performing an Arcane Charge is surrounded by a glowing aura of crackling power. Any one spell they immediately cast next, either on their next turn or as a quickened spell, can function for one round inside an anti-magic field (both cast within and cast from outside). If they do not immediately cast a spell the Arcane Charge is wasted. Even with an Arcane Charge, spells with ongoing durations will become suppressed after functioning for one round. It cannot work with Delayed spells.

Arcane Charge only opposes anti-magic fields, and doesn't affect saving throws, caster level, or any other aspect of magic. Arcane Charge cannot be cast within an Anti-Magic Field unless another Arcane Charge was cast to allow it before entering the field. One could potentially keep casting Arcane Charge inside an AM field this way until running out of spell slots.

Yakk
2009-06-22, 03:09 PM
I'd restrict it to "spells lower in level than Arcane Charge", or "spells whose effective levels totals up to less than Arcane Charge's level, including any heightening effects on Arcane Charge, over a period of 1 round per caster level".

Ie, add some complexity to it. You can Arcane Charge, then toss out a bunch of non-metamagiced level 1 spells. Or you can heighten your Arcane Charge, then use it to get a level 8 spell off.

One could even push it another step, and make the level of spells that can be cast via the Arcane Charge be at most half the level of Arcane Charge. Ie, it wouldn't completely negate AMFs, but instead cost you a level 6 + level 3 slot, and two actions, to land a level 3 spell.

AstralFire
2009-06-22, 03:30 PM
No.

They have enough ways to stay alive.

Jane_Smith
2009-06-22, 03:48 PM
Silence caster hater, your heretical words will not be tolerated here. -casts Disintegrate and sweeps the dust under the rug-

I like the idea; it reminds me of these spells;

Enhance Magical Flow, Lesser
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Spell Resistance: No (Harmless)

All the Difficulty Classes of your spells increase by +1, and you gain a +2 bonus to your effective caster level to overcome a targets spell resistance. This does not stack with any other Enhance Magical Flow spell.

Material Component: A small crystal worth at least 10 gp.

Enhance Magical Flow
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 4

All the Difficulty Classes of your spells increase by +2, and you gain a +4 bonus to your effective caster level to overcome a targets spell resistance. This does not stack with any other Enhance Magical Flow spell.

Material Component: A small crystal worth at least 50 gp.

Enhance Magical Flow, Greater
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 6

All the Difficulty Classes of your spells increase by +3, and you gain a +6 bonus to your effective caster level to overcome a targets spell resistance. This does not stack with any other Enhance Magical Flow spell.

Material Component: A small crystal worth at least 100 gp.

Ring of Enhanced Magical Flow (Lesser): This decorative mithril ring has several glyphs etched on its surface, and a single elegant star sapphire studded in the center for display. Looking inside this gem shows thousands of tiny lights dancing within. These rings bestow a constant effect of the Lesser Enhanced Magical Flow spell, and while worn the wearer is filled with a tangible buzz of energy.
Moderate Universal; CL 3rd; Forge Ring, Lesser Enhanced Magical Flow, Price 19,500 gp.

Maybe you could use something like these and add something like "you can make a caster level check to retain the ability to cast spells in a anti-magic field, and must make a spellcraft check to cast a spell?"

Callos_DeTerran
2009-06-22, 04:23 PM
There are exactly two spells to get around an anti-magic field. Disjunction and Invoke Magic. All are 8th to 9th level. That should be a clue to you. And to be honest, Astral_Fire is right. Caster's don't need another boost by removing one of their weaknesses.

Fizban
2009-06-22, 06:31 PM
And Invoke Magic only allows a 4th level spell or lower, while Disjunction has a low percent chance of working.

nysisobli
2009-06-22, 07:42 PM
I think its a great spell, and it has a huge weakness it lasts one round, sure i can burn through all my spell slots, or i could cast one spell makes sense to me

Lysander
2009-06-22, 08:02 PM
I think its a great spell, and it has a huge weakness it lasts one round, sure i can burn through all my spell slots, or i could cast one spell makes sense to me

Problem is that it has to be the very next spell you cast. So casting Arcane Charge multiple times doesn't let you cast multiple other spells, it just lets you enter an antimagic field and delay casting a spell for a few rounds.

There are exactly two spells to get around an anti-magic field. Disjunction and Invoke Magic. All are 8th to 9th level. That should be a clue to you. And to be honest, Astral_Fire is right. Caster's don't need another boost by removing one of their weaknesses.

My reasoning is that there should be a spell of equivalent level to the AM field to counter it. A level 6 spell that can only be stopped by a level 9? This doesn't complete negate it either. A caster can only act every other turn, or cast quickened spells, and burns through many spell slots.

Jane_Smith
2009-06-23, 12:41 AM
I thought a targeted Dispel Magic/Greater Dispel Magic disabled a anti-magic field? I forgot, but I swear I have something along those lines.

Alteran
2009-06-23, 01:14 AM
I thought a targeted Dispel Magic/Greater Dispel Magic disabled a anti-magic field? I forgot, but I swear I have something along those lines.

Nope.

Dispel magic does not remove the field, though Mage's Disjunction might.

To be precise, Disjunction has a 1% chance per caster level to negate the field and remove it. That's already a pretty slim chance, and you're burning a 9th level spell for it. You could argue that this means that Anti-Magic Fields shouldn't be more easily countered, or that it means that Anti-Magic Fields are too difficult to counter as it is.