PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gaze Attacks

Gorbash
2009-06-22, 05:26 PM
How does one, as a wizard, gain protection from them? Aside from the mundane - averting your eyes, is there any spell that negates it / provides a bonus?

The only one I know is Shadow Mask, which gives 50% to avoid it (as if you averted your eyes), but that's not good enough.

Any other suggestion?

quick_comment
2009-06-22, 05:28 PM
How does one, as a wizard, gain protection from them? Aside from the mundane - averting your eyes, is there any spell that negates it / provides a bonus?

The only one I know is Shadow Mask, which gives 50% to avoid it (as if you averted your eyes), but that's not good enough.

Any other suggestion?

You close your eyes and cast improved blindsight.

Keld Denar
2009-06-22, 05:29 PM
There is an Armor Augment Crystal in MIC called Reflective, or something. Put it on a Mithril Buckler and it'll give you a sizeable bonus.

That, and lots of Gaze attacks are either [Mind Affecting] or polymorph type effects. There are items and spells that make you immune to each.

Gorbash
2009-06-22, 05:33 PM
You close your eyes and cast improved blindsight.

That's a Cleric/Druid spell.

There is an Armor Augment Crystal in MIC called Reflective, or something. Put it on a Mithril Buckler and it'll give you a sizeable bonus.

We don't use Augment Crystals, unfortunately.

That, and lots of Gaze attacks are either [Mind Affecting] or polymorph type effects. There are items and spells that make you immune to each.

That's actually a great idea, but we're lvl 12 at the moment, so no access to Mind Blank just yet.

Emy
2009-06-22, 05:58 PM
Blindfold of True Darkness from the Magic Item Compendium. It's fairly cheap, and also gives you Blindsight 30' (which is very good)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-22, 06:43 PM
Gaze Screen from Tome and Blood should do it IIRC.

Gorbash
2009-06-22, 06:55 PM
Blindfold of True Darkness from the Magic Item Compendium. It's fairly cheap, and also gives you Blindsight 30' (which is very good)

Yeah, that's a nice option also. I'll try to pass it by my DM.

Gaze Screen from Tome and Blood should do it IIRC.

That's 3.0...

Still waiting for a spell of up to 6th lvl, though, since that's the cheapest option.

Keld Denar
2009-06-22, 07:01 PM
Since most gaze attacks have a short range (60' typically), you can always go with the whole "stay far back and rain death from afar" tactic. If you are in a dungeon setting that prohibits long range of sight, you can do scouting with Prying Eyes. You are not affected by any Gaze effects the eyes are exposed to because they Eyes only relay an image of what they saw.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-22, 07:05 PM
That's 3.0...

Any 3.0 stuff that wasn't officially updated should still be viable in a 3.5 game according to Wizards.

Gorbash
2009-06-22, 07:31 PM
Any 3.0 stuff that wasn't officially updated should still be viable in a 3.5 game according to Wizards.

I'd call Complete Arcane an update to Tome & Blood. And they said that only as a marketing move in order not to tell everyone that they can freely throw their books in a trash can.

arguskos
2009-06-22, 07:37 PM
Uh, calling Comp. Arcane an update to Tome and Blood is all well and good, but if certain material wasn't actually updated, it's still legal.

Fitz10019
2009-06-22, 07:45 PM
What's the effect of blinding the gazer?
Blindness/Deafness, Wiz2

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-22, 07:54 PM
Uh, calling Comp. Arcane an update to Tome and Blood is all well and good, but if certain material wasn't actually updated, it's still legal.Legal !=allowed. Serpent Kingdoms is legal, too.

Gorbash
2009-06-22, 07:55 PM
What's the effect of blinding the gazer?
Blindness/Deafness, Wiz2

Undead, I'm afraid. Dracolich, in fact.

Uh, calling Comp. Arcane an update to Tome and Blood is all well and good, but if certain material wasn't actually updated, it's still legal

I know, but it isn't in Spell Compendium, nor any other 3.5 book, and thus not viable in our 3.5 games. :smallwink:

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-22, 08:32 PM
I'm frankly surprised no one mentioned this yet, but: Dragonsight from SpC. Close your eyes, don't open them, use your CL*10 Blindsense to find where the enemy is. Smack them with non-targeted spells that don't care about the 50% total cover penalty.

Alternatively, cast through a mirror. It's not like you need anything but line of sight and line of effect.

The top strategy negates the one thing that makes every dracolich cry: Disintegrate.

The bottom strategy doesn't stop any spell you can cast.

Gorbash
2009-06-22, 08:45 PM
The top strategy negates the one thing that makes every dracolich cry: Disintegrate.

Yeah, that's kinda my plan. :smallbiggrin:

Crushing Grip, Ray of Sickness, Spell Enhancer + SF&GSF (Transmutation) makes an effective DC of 31.

Fitz10019
2009-06-22, 08:49 PM
Undead, I'm afraid.
Summon Undead, fight fire with fire.

Dracolich, in fact.
A 1-time save bonus, or a save re-roll would serve you well. A character is immune after they make the save once.

Alleine
2009-06-22, 09:18 PM
Helm of Gazes from MiC absorbs three gaze attacks per day, only 5000 gp.

holywhippet
2009-06-22, 09:34 PM
Would the darkness spell stop it past the 20% chance for it to miss?