PDA

View Full Version : Prestige class Merchant Wizard [DnD3.5, Prestige]

Thanlon
2009-06-22, 05:47 PM
Me and my DM have been sitting and working on a prestige class. I feel it's kinda wrong and kinda right, and to be honest I'm not that well-versed in homebrew as I would like to be.

I might actually come with some explanation to how we started working on it, I was looking for a prestige class that would fit my merchant who is a wizard, and after working through several books, finding nothing I wanted we decided to make a prestige class.

The base is a rogue and wizard mix with alot of feats but without the sneak attack you can see what I mean with what comes.
So I wanted to make him feel like a merchant while retaining his magical power for metamagic/crafting feats, but his power also lies in his high amount of skill points which from my limited point of view is not so easy to maintain, so even when I look at it now I feel puzzled, the bonus feats look like they shout for contemplating everytime I get a feat like I have to barter with my char trying to maintain some integrity in the char, even though it gives a good feeling for the trader in me. :smallbiggrin:

My player heart, though, is shouting for special stuff to make it feel like it's a mechant wizard, and not a merchant who happens to be a wizard if you get what I'm meaning. :smallfrown: but I'm kinda lost about how to evolve it into a desent looking prestige class.

Merchant Wizard
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
0|
+0|
+2|
+2|
Bonus Feat, Astral home|
+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|
Improved Astral home +1|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|
Bonus Feat |

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|
Improved Astral home +2|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|
Bonus Feat, Greater Astral home|

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|
Improved Astral home +3|

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|
Bonus Feat|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|
+6|
Improved Astral home +4|

9th|
+5|
+3|
+6|
+6|
Bonus Feat|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7||[/table]

Hit Die: d6

Requirements
Class Features and Feats: level 4 rogue / level 3 wizard (thats the base and not specific enough for me though but getting to that)
Skills:Appraise 10, Bluff 10, Diplomacy 10, Gather Information 10, Knowledge: Arcana 10, Knowledge: Planes 5, Profession: Merchant 10, Sense Motive 10, Spellcraft 5.
Spells:Arcane Caster level 2

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level): Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Move silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Merchant Wizard gains no proficiencies with weapons or armor.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: At each level, a Merchant Wizard gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (such as bonus feats). If he had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Merchant Wizard, he must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Astral home
Astral Home lets you create a magical cariage or wagon with a value of 20000g, It also allow you to create an "inside of said vehicle with is in the astral plane, the volume you can create equals your caster level*5*10 cubic feet
The vehicle will not encumber any beast of burden pulling it.

Improved astral home, IAH
Choose two features from the feature list, these abilities are at will and/or permanent unless otherwise noted, can't be turned off, spell references are only for funktionality, also note that you can activate or turnoff, or otherwise operate the vehicle from a distance of your CL*5 yards, except the scry funktion which works from anywhere on the plane of the vehicle and anywhere on the astral plane. You cannot choose a previusly choosen feature.

Feature
Each feature have a price of 2000g to install, but can be installed at a later date.

Increase volume, to CL*10*10 cubic feet, Can't be turned off
Horseless movement, allows the vehicle to travel at a speed of 60, can be operated by others Hidden from sight, Allows the vehicle and it's passenges to become invisible as per the invisibility spell, can be operated by others
Alter shape, Can alter it's shape to look like something else larger than itself but no larger than the inside volume. Any door inside can be set as the door to the astral home.
Nondetection, Makes it harder for anyone to scry on the astral home and the vehicle, to be able to scry the scryer must overcome a DC15+IAH+CL with a d20+CL roll, this also covers you if you are within 60 feet of the vehicle.
Masters knowledge, Omnidirectional scrying 60feet range also scrys inside of both the vehicle and the astral home also works through obstructions like a wall.
Shrink, shrinks the vehicle to the size of a little cat.
Silence, can silence the area around vehichle in a 60 feet radius, can be operated by others

Greater Astral home
Allows you to modify the vehicle to become a portal instead of a bag of holding style item, the modification costs 10000g.
It also allows the wizard to create a device which gather magical energy, from the surrunding area in the astral plane, to power some of the more advanced funtions of the vehicle, the device can hold upto IAH*6 charges. It gathers charges at a rate of 2 charges each day, though the merchant wizard can infuse his own arcane energy to speed up the process using 5 spell levels for each charge he infuse into the device.
Up to half of these charges can be sendt to the the merchant wizard, if he is within 60 feet of the vehicle, which in turn can use them to increase his casterlevel for one spell, if he doesn't begin casting a spell within 5 minutes of reciving the charges they will become unstable and begin to wreck his body with intense pain dealing 1d6 arcane damage per charge.

Advanced Funtions

Fly, Allows the vehicle to fly at a speed of 60, and it's very crude flying costs 2 charges.
Hidden fromit all, Makes the vehicle and it's passengers invisible, attacks and other stuff do not make it reapper, and the spell also prevents scying and detection spells from revealing it though true sight can still pierce the it. costs 2 charges

Capstone missing

Work in progress.

Lysander
2009-06-22, 10:20 PM
It seems a Merchant Wizard's focus would be crafting items to sell. What if they only advance a level of an existing arcane class every other level, but in return get to earn many crafting feats very quickly, and perhaps gain other abilities that reduce the xp/gp cost to craft items, allow them to haggle down the price of spell components, etc.

The end result would be a wizard that is a weaker magician in terms of spells per day and spell level, but loaded with powerful magic items and wands. And maybe a bit more combat ability, slightly more hp, etc. Like you said, a rogue wizard hybrid but with tons of items to use and/or sell.

And after a few levels they should be able to Identify magic items upon sight.

DracoDei
2009-06-23, 12:18 AM
Have you considered multi-classing into Artificer, or maybe even getting your GM to let you trade in your previous levels or something? It actually seems just about perfect for this sort of thing.

sigurd
2009-06-23, 02:40 AM
Why not just alternate rogue and wizard classes.

Take all your rogue skills in craft and merchanty stuff. Give up your sneak attacks, when you get them, for magical feats. Trade trap stuff for expanded wizard skills (concentration, spellcraft etc). Give up spellcasting advancement for those levels.

What you have now doesnt give up much for better HD and better skill points.

For a special feel, you'll need to figure out what is special about these merchant wizards. Perhaps you should look at Planescape's 'Mercane'. You might develop something like a Mercane's apprentice.

http://www.planewalker.com/encyclopedia/mercane

Scroll way down.

Sigurd

TheYoungKing
2009-06-23, 02:57 AM
Why not just alternate rogue and wizard classes.

Take all your rogue skills in craft and merchanty stuff. Give up your sneak attacks, when you get them, for magical feats. Trade trap stuff for expanded wizard skills (concentration, spellcraft etc). Give up spellcasting advancement for those levels.

What you have now doesnt give up much for better HD and better skill points.

For a special feel, you'll need to figure out what is special about these merchant wizards. Perhaps you should look at Planescape's 'Mercane'. You might develop something like a Mercane's apprentice.

http://www.planewalker.com/encyclopedia/mercane

Scroll way down.

Sigurd

Is it just me or do the Mercanes sound awfully similar to the Traders of Rich's setting here on this site?

Thanlon
2009-06-23, 06:16 AM
One thing I know about him is that he isn't a crafter, he is more into buying stuff and selling them. one of my feelings also told me, the reqs are off just making an adjustment.

@lysander: due to a homebrew trading system, which I have to sortoff figure out still, I already haggle down everything by using a mix of skills, but I should really put it in for future use.
And I really like the identify on sight, thats a good idea.

@sigurd: I think you are right about the feel of the class, alas when I read the entry about the mercane, my first though was "exactly, spot on".

@dracodie: Never crossed my mind to be honest, if he is an artificer he will feel like he is selling his own products when he should be selling some other guys products, I think.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-23, 08:03 AM
Is it just me or do the Mercanes sound awfully similar to the Traders of Rich's setting here on this site?

A race of traders is a fairly common archetype, so it's not surprising there's an overlap. The mercane did come first, however; it's a 2e creature from Planescape and was updated in the 3e Manual of the Planes.

sigurd
2009-06-23, 08:21 AM
There are a couple of merchant Prcs\classes about. Don't discount that this guy might simply multiclass. He could have new trading company he was labouring to build....

Lysander
2009-06-23, 09:12 AM
Also, a merchant wizard's focus doesn't have to be magic items. They could deal with conventional goods but have spells to make transporting ordinary items easier.

For example, spells to blow ships in the direction you want. Summoning elemental to pull caravans. Spells that create temporary roads through harsh terrain. A teleport spell that takes several days to cast but allows you to take dozens of large crates with you.

Or if you're a fan of Terry Pratchett you'll know about the magical traveling shop, that appears and vanishes. They could have spells that let them temporarily create buildings filled with their goods.

And feats that allow them many cohorts as employees, caravan guards, etc. I imagine a merchant wizard kind of like the commander of a big caravan that travels from city to city.

sigurd
2009-06-23, 10:15 AM
Simple information and travel could easily make this guy rich beyond compare. Knowing the price for one item in two markets would be enough.

Expeditions to open up trade routes are a logical adventure source. Lost diamond mines, recovered jewels, rare magic ingredients etc. etc. etc....

Sigurd

Thanlon
2009-06-23, 10:29 AM
@Lysander: I was thinking the same thing, about it all, since the class doesn't cut out possibilities but revolves about the trade. And you just gave me an idea I need to flesh out.

Lysander
2009-06-23, 01:20 PM
@Lysander: I was thinking the same thing, about it all, since the class doesn't cut out possibilities but revolves about the trade. And you just gave me an idea I need to flesh out.

I guess you need to decide whether you want a stationary wizard that runs a magic shop, a traveling wizard that trades many things in many cities, or a wizard that runs a magic shop that travels.

Thanlon
2009-06-23, 02:06 PM
I guess you need to decide whether you want a stationary wizard that runs a magic shop, a traveling wizard that trades many things in many cities, or a wizard that runs a magic shop that travels.

I'm went for the last one as you can see it OP is getting updated as I work since I can't have alot of papar on the desk where I work, atleast not this kind anyway.

or at least the idea is the carriage which is larger on the inside than the outside for living and working space, I admit that it can still go in multiple ways either with the former portal style or bag of holding style or somthing else but inside those lines where he can travel while still being "at home" in his caravan. biggest problem I see is the over the top resemblence to bag of holdings(which I have now) since I prefer to keep it bag of holding friendly solution.
The door funktion might not be included when done since it is more than what the ability needs, might aswell cut it now so it doesn't obscure the funktion of it.

Thanlon
2009-06-23, 03:10 PM
one of my conserns is that the ability is to powerfull compare to what else have been gotten, even though it's basicly a huge "rope trick spell" on wheels.

ok I'm thinking I might even have to lower the hd to d4 to keep it in line with the ability to cast spells though I do like the extra hp.

Lysander
2009-06-23, 03:31 PM
one of my conserns is that the ability is to powerfull compare to what else have been gotten, even though it's basicly a huge "rope trick spell" on wheels.

ok I'm thinking I might even have to lower the hd to d4 to keep it in line with the ability to cast spells though I do like the extra hp.

Maybe you could grant the wizard additional abilities that are dependent on the astral home.

For example, perhaps they could have the ability to will their carriage invisible or hide it with an illusion as a supernatural ability. At a certain level the carriage would be able to move without horses. At level 20 the carriage could fly on command. And maybe the carriage could get spells or a magical attack it could use defensively should the caravan be attacked. As if it were a creature.

Thanlon
2009-06-23, 03:53 PM
Maybe you could grant the wizard additional abilities that are dependent on the astral home.

For example, perhaps they could have the ability to will their carriage invisible or hide it with an illusion as a supernatural ability. At a certain level the carriage would be able to move without horses. At level 20 the carriage could fly on command. And maybe the carriage could get spells or a magical attack it could use defensively should the caravan be attacked. As if it were a creature.

ok I only want the class to go to level 10, but I love the idea, but sadly I go no idea atm as to how to phrase it. :smallannoyed:
ok one might think of an epice version aswell but thats not in my calender atm. hmmmmm, this is getting more complex that I imagined it would, I love the idea though.
aaah hmmm naaah wellll maybe hmmm need to think I think. :smallbiggrin:

Yakk
2009-06-23, 05:11 PM
Step 1: Move the +1 level to the even levels.

Step 2: Why the bonus feats?

Step 3: To avoid the 'must not lose progression', I'd be tempted to give the class the ability to cast spells higher than their highest spell level. Below is an attempt built around 'use magic device' type tricks.

So:
1: Astral Home, Tinkered Focus +0, Spell Collector, Mechanical Wizard
2: +1 spellcaster level
3: Astral Home
4: +1 spellcaster level
5: Tinkered Focus +1
6: +1 spellcaster level
7: Astral Home
8: +1 spellcaster level
9: Tinkered Focus +2
10: +1 spellcaster level, Astral Home

Mechanical Wizard: When using and making magic items, you may substitute your Use Magic Device skill level for your Arcane Caster level in any class you possess. In addition, if you use an activated magic item, you may substitute this level for the effective caster level of the effect produced by the item.

This may not increase your Arcane Caster level in a given class by more levels than twice your class levels in Merchant Wizard.[1]

Spell Collector: You can learn a number of additional arcane spells equal to your class level in Merchant Wizard. In order to learn a spell, make a spellcraft check against a DC of 15+2*spell level while seeing the effects of the spell, reading a scroll of the spell, or reading a spellbook of the spell. This may be repeated for a given spell after 24 hours have elapsed.

These spells must be spells on one of your arcane class spell lists, but they need not be spells of a level you can cast.[2]

You may spontaneously substitute a spell of the same level for such learned spells. You may also imbue your Tinkered Focus items with these spells. You may also create magic items that require you to know the spell, if you match the spell caster level requirement of making the item.

Tinkered Focus: At any one time, you can charge a number of Focus items equal to half your class level in Merchant Wizard, rounded up. You charge a Tinkered Focus at the start of the day, expending spell slots into your Tinkered Focus. Any material components for the spell must also be consumed when you charge your Tinkered Focus.

The Tinkered Focus can then be used by you in a way similar to a one-charge Wand, except the Tinkered Focus is not damaged by being reduced to 0 charges. Others cannot use the Tinkered Focus.

The Tinkered Focus stays charged until you use it, and does not need to be refreshed on the next day. You can, however, choose to harmlessly release the energies in a Tinkered Focus as a standard action, even if you do not currently possess it.

Creating an item suitable for being a Tinkered Focus requires it be worth 100 gp per level of the spell you want to store in it, and 1 day of customisation by the Merchant Wizard.

Starting at level 5, you can imbue Tinkered Focuses with higher level spells than the slot you consume. At level 5, the spell you can place in a Tinkered Focus is 1 level higher than the slot you consume at your preparation. At level 9, the spell you can place in a Tinkered Focus is 2 levels higher than the slot you consume during your preparation. You are allowed to place Spell Collector learned spells in your Tinkered Focuses.

---

Why all of the above? I want the Merchant Wizard to feel a bit different than a normal Wizard. The +2 bonus on the level of spells in Tinkered Focus items make this Wizard into a bit of a mechanic. This fits with the Thief 'use magic device' ability, crossed with a Wizard's spellcasting.

By level 10, you have +5 caster levels, the ability to create 5 Tinkered Focuses, 5 spell slots from Spell Collector, and a boost of +2 spell levels when you charge a Tinkered Focus.

A Thief 4/Wizard 3/Merchant Wizard 10 (level 17 character) would then:
Cast spells as a 8th level Wizard (boo) -- up to 4th level spells.
When making a Tinkered Focus, could place up to 6th level spells in the item.

In comparison, a Thief 4/Wizard 13 is casting 7th level spells, and a Wizard 17 is casting 9th level spells.

However, the Merchant Wizard is casting spells from scrolls and devices as a 20th level wizard (Assuming the Merchant Wizard maxes their UMD skill).

Astral Home: At level 1, 3, 7 and 10, you gain the ability to create an improved Astral Home. This ability is the ability to create it, not the ability to have it. PrCs don't grant you items. Stop that.

Requirements: Appraise 10, Use Magic Device 10, Bluff 10, Profession: Merchant 10
Able to cast 2nd level Arcane Spells

Footnotes:
[1] This is an anti-splash restriction.
[2] This is intended for Tinkered Focus and creating Magic items.

This might be a very different class than you intended. But I saw the "thieves can use magic items as well as wizards" and "this is a thief/wizard cross-class class", and thought "bingo".

As a bonus, doing a Rogue 3/Bard 1/Wizard 3 becomes an interesting option. You get access to Bard spells for your Spell Collector class feature...

Tinkered Focus allow the Merchant Wizard to carry power from day to day. If they don't use their Tinkered Focus items one day, the next day you don't have to commit spell slots to recharging them. If you do, you could be out some relatively high level spell slots to recharge them.

They also let the Merchant Wizard cast spells higher in level than they would be able to otherwise.

The Mechanical Wizard feature could be powerful. A Merchant Wizard will probably have a bunch of cheap, low level scrolls or wands, which the Merchant Wizard will be casting at higher-than-character-level.

A wand of magic missile (caster level 1) costs: 187 gp 5 sp +15 XP
A Rogue 4/Wizard 3/Merchant Wizard 5 has a UMD of 15, a Wizard caster level of 5. So when using magic items, the Merchant Wizard has a Wizard level of 15.

When they use the wand, they get to shoot 5 magic missiles instead of 1.
An Acid Arrow wand would last 5 rounds.

The class I revised here is still too weak. Compare the Rogue 4/Wizard 3/Merchant Wizard 5 to the pure Wizard 12. The Merchant Wizard is able to build focus items that contain 4th level spells, while the pure Wizard 12 is casting 6th level spells.

But you could then afford to grant 3/4 BaB, or d6 HD, or something along those lines to make up for it.

Then again, there is the risk of splashing. A character with 22(+6) int does Rogue 1/Wizard 7/Bard 1/Rogue +1

4 in the required skills from Rogue 1.
12 skill points from Bard level
14 skill points from Rogue level
= 26 skill points.

over 3 skills, that fills in the required 6 points.

Then the character does Merchant Wizard 10.

You end up casting as a level 12 Wizard, using magic items as a level 23 Wizard, and able to make 5 level 8 Focus items. Hmm -- you are still a worse spellcaster than a pure Wizard.

So it looks like there is room in my variant to push more power into the Merchant Wizard. I don't know if you will like my mechanics, however -- they are pretty strange.

Thanlon
2009-06-24, 12:53 AM

I was think why not almost all of it? and only adding more and not less, since I got an idea from a mate of mine talking about some one eyed prestige class made for scrying.

I can just see a guy crawling up a rope trick worth a multible farms with a bag of holding in his belt... Boom!
That is also getting fixed.

@Yakk: it looks like some tinker prestige class I have seen somewhere, I like it but it looks more like an wizard with a focus on items and not trading.

and yes mine also looks really unfinished still and got only a little trader feeling atm but I expect that to change.

Ashtagon
2009-06-24, 05:03 AM
It sounds a lot like the goal you are aiming for the is Merchant character classes presented in GAZ9:Minrothad Guilds and GAZ11:Republic of Darokin, from the Mystara campaign setting. (Basically, merchants who use magic to give themselves an edge).

Thanlon
2009-06-24, 06:19 AM
It sounds a lot like the goal you are aiming for the is Merchant character classes presented in GAZ9:Minrothad Guilds and GAZ11:Republic of Darokin, from the Mystara campaign setting. (Basically, merchants who use magic to give themselves an edge).

might be true but I know not off it will look around, but I will none the less complete this one for the benefit of all... (if it ends up worth anything) :smallbiggrin:

Thanlon
2009-06-25, 10:41 AM
Major? update. I have increased the power of it, as I could easely see it was a little weak, might be wrong on that though.

sigurd
2009-06-25, 11:48 AM
I think you're on the right track but you need some organization.

Astral Home - 'classes should not give you things they should give you talents' - This should be Craft Planar Region - Astral home. It should represent the skills or perhaps the acceptance into a body of merchants to enable dabbling in defined planar sculpting.
Start small - to discourage dipping. Some sort of improved astral chest spell available only to this class. The character will have to pay for these constructions. He should be trading to make money right?

You have to decide if this class will be a merchant - wealth and risk - or simply staggeringly rich - just wealth. If you just want the char to be wealthy talk to your DM about simply inheriting it - much simpler for everyone.

Afterwards improve the Astral Home 1,3,6,9 - make it a market or something as the capstone. 1-chest, 3-vault, 6-wagon (easier to reach), 9- vault, 10- wizards tower.

Of course this changes the aim of the class - its not strictly market driven.

Be warned that one character chasing financial reward is not generally exciting for the other players.

Thanlon
2009-06-25, 05:16 PM
First off, I'm very happy to have posted about it and really appreciate the help I'm getting.

I see so I basically focused on result instead of the reason of the result... and from what I can see this is alot better than what I had thought up, and from what I can see it isn't changing the aim but the method. I will try and work write it up on paper and see how it comes out.

Second off we were required to be "nobles" or sons/daughters of great traders, in a alot of simultaneous one man campaigns, where meeting of players was only if they meet ingame, and all other players char/location/real name is secret for the other players.