PDA

View Full Version : Too broken to use

Pages : 1 [2]

serok42
2009-06-25, 06:28 AM
Shivering Touch

I second Shivering touch. I hate that spell when it is used against my NPCs.

BillyJimBoBob
2009-06-25, 01:35 PM
1.) Standard action to throw a book full of explosive runes.

2.) Quickened dispel magic.

3.) Loot.

4.) :smallconfused:

5.) Profit!

It helps keep everything within one turn, without having to worry about other party members.But then everyone calls you a Nazi for book burning, and my home brewed deity Godwin ends your campaign.

Set
2009-06-25, 02:02 PM
Set: Is that word "Hero?" or "Grayguard"?

Neither word has a definition in core, so it could be either. :)

BillyJimBoBob
2009-06-25, 02:36 PM
I think that oil of taggit and the drow knockout poison were the examples of poisons that are not inherently evil to use.Does anyone else see the irony in a poison presumably developed by the Drow being classified as non-evil to use?

Bottom line it for us, Frank!

Frank: BoVD is non-core. Therefore it has no weight in a discussion of D&D. If a GM owns it and wants to use it, great. If that GM does not want to use it, still great. But don't drag it in as a supporting argument or site it as an authority on any subject. If you do, you will open the floodgates to any other non-core work being fair game for similar citation. Many of which will directly contradict any point you try to make using any other non-core book. And that way leads to madness.

Lycanthromancer
2009-06-25, 04:09 PM
But then everyone calls you a Nazi for book burning, and my home brewed deity Godwin ends your campaign.

Ah, but then the book isn't being used for its one and only purpose; to explode.

A landmine is a terrible thing to waste.

olentu
2009-06-25, 05:03 PM
Does anyone else see the irony in a poison presumably developed by the Drow being classified as non-evil to use?

Bottom line it for us, Frank!

Frank: BoVD is non-core. Therefore it has no weight in a discussion of D&D. If a GM owns it and wants to use it, great. If that GM does not want to use it, still great. But don't drag it in as a supporting argument or site it as an authority on any subject. If you do, you will open the floodgates to any other non-core work being fair game for similar citation. Many of which will directly contradict any point you try to make using any other non-core book. And that way leads to madness.

Well it is the book of exalted deeds that I am getting the poison thing from not the book of vile darkness.

Since the discussion seems to stem from a feat that is in the book of exalted deeds it would make sense that the book of exalted deeds is in play.

So since the book of exalted deeds should to me reasonably be in the discussion and since the discussion revolves around an exalted feat from the book that requires that one be good it would be reasonable to me that alignment mechanics from the book that the feat is in would be part of the discussion.

So regardless of the problems that may or may not occur when adding all non core sources the discussion started from a non core source.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-25, 06:36 PM
I think we're in danger of forgetting that this argument is about a feat that prevents you from getting hold of a method of flying. Beyond that (no rerolls, no skill buffs, no miss chance, no zany pull-it-out-of-my-pants stuff) it's a little academic to me at least.

to move it along a little I'll submit Grapple and Turn Undead just because they're so pointlessly obtuse for use.

Night Monkey
2009-06-25, 09:09 PM
Polymorph any Object.

The Tarrasque, like your average wizard, is from the animal kingdom. Unlike your average wizard, The Tarrasque has an Intelligence score below 10.

This gives you a duration factor of 7, a week as The Tarrasque. The constraints of the Polymorph spells means you don't get all of its cool abilities, but probably the most powerful feature of this newfound form is the sheer, unutterable terror it will induce in almost anybody you encounter.

Admittedly, one dispel ruins the whole thing BUT the opponent would have to know that you weren't the real Tarrasque to bother trying.

Even better is the Kobold wizard. Like the Great Wyrm Gold Dragon, the kobold is a member of the animal kingdom, and is reptilian in nature. Once again the duration factor of 7. Once again, a week as a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon. The really nice thing about this is that the Kobold takes on the Dragon's base intelligence of 32, and can still cast all of his wizard spells, as well as having the Dragon's crush attack at Strength 47.

And unless anyone asks, Polymorph any Object definitely does allow you to change into something with more hit die than you, as the spell description specifically gives the example of turning a shrew into a manticore (although, from a strictly RAW perspective, the fact that the stats on a shrew are not given in the MM means this insight is meaningless, as there is no evidence that a shrew does not have more hit die than a manticore).

Optimator
2009-06-25, 10:47 PM
I always felt PaO was he worst offender of all. It is one of those spells that, unlike a good amount of those already mentioned, is usually broken instead of merely potentially broken.