PDA

View Full Version : The Z-Fighter; A DragonBall Z adaption to D&D

squishycube
2005-07-06, 03:44 AM
Well, it's all in the name: this core class is an adaption of the DragonBall Z type warrior to D&D. Again, it can also be downloaded as an MS Word Document here (http://www.schatjuh.nl/~quibusonline/files/The%20Z-Fighter.doc)

Non fancy image this time, there is one in the word document, but it got ugly when I copied it from there and I couldn't find the original anymore. The image is (c) I don't know, but its most likely the creators of DBZ.

A humorous note: I don't like DragonBall Z at all :D

And a serious note: This class uses Psionics. If you don't like psionice, don't read this :). You need the Psionics Handbook to be able to use this class. Futhermore, I did make a special power list for this class, but I don't have it with me. It contains mainly the Energy powers and a few personal powers.

A Board Note: the board screws up my code, I don't understand why, as you can see there are errors in the tables, I can't fix them unless I put it back to code blocks which I find ugly and unreadable.

The Z-Fighter
As no other the Z-Fighters have managed to combine lethal unarmed fighting with at least as deadly manifesting. Later in their lives, Z-Fighters master the art of falling without hitting the ground and eventually they are buzzing with psionic energy, mashing their enemies to pulp with hands that seem to be made of steel and powers that come out of nowhere.
Alignment: Any, although they tend to be neutral on at least one of the axis
Hit Die:
d10

Class Skills:
The Z-Fighter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are
Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level:
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level:
4 + Int modifier.

Table: The Z-Fighter
{table]

LvlBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecialPower Points/ DayPowers KnownFlurry of Blows Attack BonusPower Level KnownUnarmed Dmg2Speed Bonus

1st+0+2+2+0Bonus Feat, Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike0 11-2/-21st1d6+0 ft.

2nd+1+3+3+0AC Bonus, Groovy Hair12-1/-11st1d6+0 ft.

3rd+2+3+3+133+0/+01st1d6+10 ft.
[tr]
[td]4th+3+4+4+1Evasion54+1/+12nd 1d8+10 ft.

5th+3+4+4+1Signature Power (Increased ML)75+1/+12nd1d8+10 ft.

6th+4+5+5+2Flying116+2/+22nd1d8+20 ft.

7th+5+5+5+2Ki Strike (Psionic)157+3/+33rd1d8+20 ft.

8th+6/+1+6+6+2198+5/+5/+03rd1d10+20 ft.

9th+6/+1+6+6+3Improved Evasion239+5/+5/+03rd1d10+30 ft.

10th+7/+2+7+7+3Signature Power (Metapsionic 1)2710+6/+6/+14th1d10+30 ft.

11th+8/+3+7+7+3Greater Flurry3511+7/+7/+7/+24th1d10+30 ft.

12th+9/+4+8+8+4Ki Strike (Aligned)4312+8/+8/+8/+34th2d6+40 ft.

13th+9/+4+8+8+45113+8/+8/+8/+35th2d6+40 ft.

14th+10/+5+9+9+4Abundant Step 1/day5914+9/+9/+9/+45th2d6+40 ft.

15th+11/+6/+1+9+9+56715+10/+10/+10/+5/+05th2d6+50 ft.

16th+12/+7/+2+10+10+57916+11/+11/+11/+6/+16th2d8+50 ft.

17th+12/+7/+2+10+10+5Ki Strike (Adamantine)9117+11/+11/+11/+6/+16th2d8+50 ft.

18th+13/+8/+3+11+11+6Abundant Step 2/day10318+12/+12/+12/+7/+26th2d8+60 ft.

19th+14/+9/+4+11+11+611519+13/+13/+13/+8/+36th2d8+60 ft.

20th+15/+10/+5+12+12+6Perfect Z, Signature Power (Metapsionic 2)12720+14/+14/+14/+9/+46th2d10+60 ft.

[/table]
{table]

1.The Z-Fighter gains no power points from his class at 1st level. However, he does add any bonus power points he gains from a high Charisma score, his race, and feats or other sources to his reserve. He can use these points (if any) to manifest his power.[/td[

[td]2.The damage shown is for Medium monks. See Table: Small or Large Monk Unarmed Damage for Small or Large monks.

[/table]

Table: Small or Large Z-Fighter Unarmed Damage
{table]

LevelDamage (Small Z-Fighter)Damage (Large Z-Fighter)

1st-3rd1d41d8

4th-7th1d62d6

8th-11th1d82d8

12th-15th1d103d6

16th-19th2d63d8

20th2d84d8

[/table]

Table: Aligned Strike
{table]

Ki Strike Alignment

Z-Fighter’s AlignmentGoodEvilLawfulChaotic

Lawful Good+X+X

Lawful Neutral+++X

Lawful EvilX++X

Neutral Good+X++

Neutral++++

Neutral EvilX+++

Chaotic Good+XX+

Chaotic Neutral++X+

Chaotic EvilX+X+

[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Z-Fighter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Z-Fighters are not proficient with any weapons, any armor, or any shield.

Power Points/Day
A Z-Fighter’s ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given on Table: The Z-Fighter. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Charisma score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items. A 1st-level Z-Fighter gains no power points for his class level, but he gains bonus power points (if he is entitled to any), and can manifest the single power he knows with those power points.

Powers Known
A Z-Fighter begins play knowing one Z-Fighter power of your choice. Each time he achieves a new level, he unlocks the knowledge of a new power.

Choose the powers known from the Z-Fighter power list. (Exception: The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge do allow a Z-Fighter to learn powers from the lists of other classes.) A Z-Fighter can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than his manifester level.

The total number of powers a Z-Fighter can manifest in a day is limited only by his daily power points.

A Z-Fighter simply knows his powers; they are ingrained in his mind. He does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though he must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain all his spent power points.

The Difficulty Class for saving throws against Z-Fighter powers is 10 + the power’s level + the Z-Fighter’s Charisma modifier.

Highest Power Level Known
A Z-Fighter begins play with the ability to learn 1st-level powers. As he attains higher levels, he may gain the ability to master more complex powers.

To learn or manifest a power, a Z-Fighter must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the power’s level

Z-Fighter Manifesting
The way a Z-Fighter manifests powers is slightly different to normal manifesters. To manifest a power a Z-Fighter must expend his Psionic Focus. A Z-Fighter's manifester level is equal to half his class level.

Bonus Feat
At first level a Z-Fighter gets either Improved Feint or Improved Taunt as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites for those feats.
This bonus feat is in addition to the feats that a character of any class gains every three levels.

Flurry of Blows (Ex)
When unarmored, a Z-Fighter may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, he may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on Table: The Z-Fighter. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the Z-Fighter might make before his next action. When a Z-Fighter reaches 8th level, the penalty lessens to -1. A Z-Fighter must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

When using flurry of blows, a Z-Fighter may attack only with unarmed strikes. The Z-Fighter can’t use any weapon as a part of a flurry of blows.

Greater Flurry
When a Z-Fighter reaches 11th level, his flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack he gets from flurry of blows, he gets a second extra attack at his highest attack bonus.

Unarmed Strike
At 1st level, a Z-Fighter gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A Z-Fighter’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a Z-Fighter may even make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a Z-Fighter striking unarmed. A Z-Fighter may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes.
Usually a Z-Fighter’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A Z-Fighter’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A Z-Fighter also deals more damage with his unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on Table: The Z-Fighter. The unarmed damage on Table: The Z-Fighter is for Medium Z-Fighters. A Small Z-Fighter deals less damage than the amount given there with his unarmed attacks, while a Large Z-Fighter deals more damage; see Table: Small or Large Z-Fighter Unarmed Damage.

AC Bonus (Ex)
Upon attaining second level, when unarmored and unencumbered, the Z-Fighter adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to his AC. In addition, a Z-Fighter gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five Z-Fighter levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the Z-Fighter is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Groovy Hair (Ex)
At second level, and every three levels thereafter the Z-Fighter gets a new hairdo to fit his newly acquired powers. Whenever the Z-Fighter performs a feat of strength or power his hair color changes as well. For example, a Z-Fighter who normally has black hair, might have that changed to blond when he reaches second level. All changes are at the DM's discretion.

Fast Movement (Ex)
At 3rd level, a Z-Fighter gains an enhancement bonus to his land speed as well as his fly speed, as shown on Table: The Z-Fighter. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor and not carrying more than a light load.

Evasion (Ex)
At 4th level or higher if a Z-Fighters makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a Z-Fighter is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Z-Fighter does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Signature Power
Upon attaining 5th level, a Z-Fighter picks a signature power. The Z-fighter can manifest his signature power with increased potential. When the Z-Fighter manifests his signature power, he is treated as if his manifester level is one higher than it actually is for the purpose of determining the effects of the power. The Z-Fighters signature power must be a power that deals direct hit point damage, such as the Energy powers. Once chosen, the signature power can only be changed by training with the new power for 24 hours.

At 10th level the Z-Fighters signature power becomes more powerful. From now on, the Z-Fighter gets ten power points/day worth of augmenting for free. The Z-Fighter can use these extra power points how he sees fit, he can use them all at once to augment one manifesting of his signature power, or he could use them one at a time to augment several manifestings.
These power points are not added to the Z-Fighter’s pool of power points. These power points cannot be used for anything but augmenting the signature power of the Z-Fighter. If they are not used upon manifesting, they are lost. These power points cannot be stored in any way.

At 15th level, the signature power increases in strength again. He gets one of the following metapsionic feats as a bonus feat: Burrowing Power, Delay Power, Empower Power, Enlarge Power, Extend Power or Split Psionic Ray. The Z-Fighter does not have to pay the extra power points that normally have to be paid to use a metapsionic feat, but the effect can only be applied to his signature power. The use of these psionic feats for this purpose does not use the Z-Fighter's psionic focus like it normally would.
The Z-Fighter can use this ability 3/day. At 20th level this increases to 6/day.

Upon attaining 20th level, the Z-Fighter’s signature power becomes more powerful for the last time. He gets another metapsionic feat as a bonus feat. The metapsionic feats he can choose are: Maximize Power, Opportunity Power, Quicken Power, Twin Power or Widen Power. This ability functions the same as the 15th level Signature Power ability.
The use of these psionic feats for this purpose does not use the Z-Fighter's psionic focus like it normally would.
The Z-Fighter can use this ability 3/day.

Flying (Su)
At sixth level, the Z-Fighter gains the ability to fly. As a free action, the Z-Fighter can pay 2 power points to activate this ability for 1 minute per Z-Fighter level. While maintaining psionic focus the Z-Fighter gains a fly speed equal to his base speed (including Z-Fighter bonus speed) at perfect maneuverability. When the duration of the ability ends and the Z-Fighter is still aloft, the power is automatically activated again.
The ability ends when the Z-Fighter expends his psionic focus or when he has not enough power points left to pay for another use. When the ability ends, the Z-Fighter hovers for one round. While hovering, the Z-Fighter can move downwards at his normal speed or move horizontally at half his speed.
To sum it up, to be able to fly a Z-Fighter must:
- maintain psionic focus
- pay 2 powerpoints for every 1 minute per level spent in flight

Ki Strike (Su)
At 7th level, a Z-Fighter’s unarmed attacks are empowered with Ki. His unarmed attacks are treated as psionic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character’s Z-Fighter level. At 12th level, his unarmed attacks are also treated as aligned weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. A Z-Fighter chooses what alignment his attacks will get. Once this choice is made, it cannot be reversed. See the table Aligned Strike for information about what alignment can be chosen by what Z-Fighters. At 17th level, his unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction and bypassing hardness.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
At 9th level, a Z-Fighter’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Z-Fighter does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Abundant Step (Su)
At 14th level or higher, a Z-Fighter can slip psionically between spaces, as if using the power psionic dimension door, once per day. His manifester level for this effect is one-half his Z-Fighter level (rounded down). At 18th the Z-Fighter can use this ability one extra time a day.

Perfect Z
At 20th level doesn’t need to be psionically focused to maintain flight and flying does not cost any power points.

Ex-Z-Fighters
Any Z-Fighter who takes levels in a base class that grants AC bonuses from an ability score, such as the Monk, irrevocably loses his AC Bonus class feature, thereby losing his charisma bonus to AC and all other AC bonuses granted by that class feature.

New Combat Action
Taunt

Taunting is a standard action. To taunt, make a Bluff check opposed by a Sense Motive check by your target. The target may add his base attack bonus to this Sense Motive check. If your Bluff check result exceeds your target’s Sense Motive check result, the target will do anything within its power to attack you for his whole next turn.
When taunting in this way against a nonhumanoid you take a -4 penalty. Against a creature of animal Intelligence (1 or 2), you take a -8 penalty. Against a nonintelligent creature, it’s impossible.

Taunting in combat does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Taunting as a Move Action
With the Improved Taunt feat, you can attempt a taunt as a move action instead of as a standard action.

New Feat
Improved Taunt [General]
Prerequisites
Int 13, Combat Expertise.
Benefit
You can make a Bluff check to taunt in combat as a move action.
Normal
Taunting in combat is a standard action.

A fighter may select Improved Taunt as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Enjoy :)

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-06, 09:09 AM
Well, you brought up an intresting idea, but I think it might be to over powering for a base class, perhaps it could be a prestige class for high level monks.

Zaeron
2005-07-06, 09:30 AM
Would be interested in seeing the spell list.

Signature Power is a very cool ability - perhaps modify the rules so that his caster level continues to increase with it? Having only caster level 11 means anything with psionic resistance is basically immune to everything he has.

Other than that, I guess it might be a tad on the overpowered side, I'm not completely sure, I'd have to see what I could do with one.

Gom_Golagoog
2005-07-06, 09:32 AM
Two comments:
1) Your description mentions 10 free power points for augmenting the signature power. Does that mean 10 point per day?
2) You mention the "Z-fighter power list" at one point. Did you mean to say the psychic warrior power list, or did you actually create a separate custom power list?

TSGames
2005-07-06, 01:46 PM
I think it's a great idea and so far I like. Howevr there was one overpowering feature. The metapsionic feats I think should be limited to only so many uses per dar on the chosen power, otherwise play sessions might go more like this:
DM:"You see a small carvan full of people..."
Player:"I use maximized energy ball on them and then do it as many as nessesary until they're all dead."
DM:...OK...

Maybe although, it could be improved with level, like at level t the signature power's first metapsionic feat can be used twice, and etc...

Starbuck_II
2005-07-06, 05:32 PM
Wait, can a Z-Fighter usually even use a Metapsionic power?

To use a Metapsionic power requires expanding focus. To use a Z-Fighter power you must expand a focus.

I guess if you had the feat that gave ability to Psicrystal to hold focus maybe.

But that would require 2 rounds to get back both focuses.

The Z-Fighters signature power must be a power that deals direct hit point damage, such as the Energy powers.

Why do you have to choose a Enrrgy power?

I remember that Namekian boy choose healing power. That one Ginyu Force guy had the Freezing power that stopped time.

Another guy had a Save or Die on Dragon Ball (before DBZ season), Goku back when he was a kid. It only worked on someone who wasn't totally pure but it usually killed. It was that guy in the Demon costume. He could have killed any enemy that later came on show if you think about it since bad guys aren't pure.

Krillian had a Save or Die: That Distructo Disc.

Solar Flare was a signature move type ability maybe for the 3 eyed guy.

But other than you disallowing non-damaging powers, it seems okay.

squishycube
2005-07-07, 03:32 AM
Two comments:
1) Your description mentions 10 free power points for augmenting the signature power. Does that mean 10 point per day?
2) You mention the "Z-fighter power list" at one point. Did you mean to say the psychic warrior power list, or did you actually create a separate custom power list?

1. I indeed meant 10 PP/day
2. I did indeed make a Z-Fighter power list (it's also mentioned in my post) (
... Futhermore, I did make a special power list for this class, but I don't have it with me. It contains mainly the Energy powers and a few personal powers...

And at DnDestruction:
Good idea, I'll do that. But do keep in mind that the Z-Fighter probably won't manifest more than one power per combat, since he has to take a full round action AND make a DC 20 Concentration check the regain his psionic focus.

At Starbuck_II:
I see, you are right. I'll type up that this is an exception.

And you don't have to choose an energy power, you have to choose a power that deals direct damage. for example, Hostile Empathetic Transfer could be chosen, for it deals direct damage.

Cobrateen2000
2006-03-07, 12:35 AM
Awsome class. I have always wanted to try playing as a Goku-like fighter in D&D. Please bring it over to my thread, Classes that should exist bu don't, I would like some of the people reading that thread to see it.

The Glyphstone
2006-03-07, 06:38 AM
Once he hits 6th level, Psionic Meditation allows him to regain it as a move action. By then, he'll have 9 ranks in Concentration, and a +2 Con mod would seem fair. If he also takes Narrow Mind ( I would, seeing how important focus is to this class), that's a total of +15 to his focus roll as a move-equivalent action, which he can then dump to waste someone - and do it again next turn.

Kaerou
2006-03-07, 03:14 PM
Groovy hair is overpowered! It needs to be brought back in line! =)