PDA

View Full Version : Animal Growth as Plant Growth?

LibraryOgre
2009-06-22, 11:20 PM
So, I'm playing a druid, and I'm thinking about the Plant Growth spell, which I get quite soon. It's part of my character's long-term plan... she intends to settle into the area, and more or less extorting money out of the locals (If you agree to give me 5% of your crops, I'll cast "Plant Growth" on your field and double your yield).

However, what about a spell like that, but for animals? What level would you make a spell that increased the health of animals to the maximum... not made them monstrous (like the first use of Plant Growth, or the current Animal Growth), but simply made them healthy and sizable? Useful to cast on dogs, sheep, cattle, horses, etc.

Set
2009-06-23, 06:39 AM
There isn't currently such a spell, but you could check with your DM if you can research / invent such a spell.

A spell like this might work only on Animal type creatures and could work by slightly increasing the animals health and vigor (warhorses coming from the druids farm might have +2 to con), and increasing the chances of multiple births. 'Doubling crop yield' might be a bit much for animal purposes, but upping productivity of animal farms by 50% might be reasonable. Farms blessed by the druid's spell might also have a lower incidence of animal-based illnesses, with all animals getting a +2 to their Fort saves to resist disease for the season, or something.

hewhosaysfish
2009-06-23, 06:40 AM
So, I'm playing a druid, and I'm thinking about the Plant Growth spell, which I get quite soon. It's part of my character's long-term plan... she intends to settle into the area, and more or less extorting money out of the locals (If you agree to give me 5% of your crops, I'll cast "Plant Growth" on your field and double your yield).

Extort isn't really the right word here...
Unless, of course, you're setting the Dire Weasels on people who don't sign up for your "Friendly Completely-Voluntary Bumper Harvest Program".

However, what about a spell like that, but for animals? What level would you make a spell that increased the health of animals to the maximum... not made them monstrous (like the first use of Plant Growth, or the current Animal Growth), but simply made them healthy and sizable? Useful to cast on dogs, sheep, cattle, horses, etc.

I would be inclined (if I were the GM) to just call it an alternative usage of the existing Animal Growth spell.
Just as the existing Plant Growth spell has one use for combat/adventuring and one for down-time/background colour, I don't think it would be "unbalancing" to declare that Animal Growth has the same.

arkol
2009-06-23, 06:57 AM
You should check this:
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html

Maybe there's something usefull there.

bosssmiley
2009-06-23, 08:26 AM

Extortion? That's the strangest, most mutually beneficial form of extortion I've ever seen. A 5% charge in return for doubling crop yields? Adam Smith would approve. :smallconfused:

edit: ninja'ed!

Dragon #193 had a load of spells useful to farming communities in an article called "The Druid Gets a Life" (basically, permaculture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture) druids). There was useful low-level stuff like fertility, heal plants, firebreak, insect ward and ripen. They should be easily adaptable to whatever system you're using atm. PM me if you want a copy.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-23, 08:45 AM
Animal Growth is severely limited in duration: 1 minute/level. You want a permanent increase in bulk and health. I'd put that at +2 levels, so Druid 7.

LibraryOgre
2009-06-23, 11:08 AM
Extortion? That's the strangest, most mutually beneficial form of extortion I've ever seen. A 5% charge in return for doubling crop yields? Adam Smith would approve. :smallconfused:

It's extortion when their neighbors will get it and they won't if they piss me off. ;-)

The Glyphstone
2009-06-23, 11:24 AM
No, that's good business.

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-23, 11:52 AM
Yeah, it's extortion if it's, like, "I'll double your crop yeild for 5% of it. OR I'll decimate your crop-yield year after year until you have to settle up, and get 10% of the crop yeild from the guy who buys the place when you're gone."