PDA

View Full Version : Need help with alchemist class inspiried by FMA.Base class 4e

The_Admiral
2009-06-23, 04:02 AM
Alchemist

Humankind cannot gain anything without giving something in return.
The law of equivelent exchange

CLASS TRAITS

Role:Defender,with your high constitution you can choose to either rush in with your alchemy or stay far away and help deal damage while staying safe.

Power Source Arcane.You can split and
rearrange matter using your own body's
energy.

Key Ablities:Constitution,Intelligence,Dexterity

Armour Proficencies:Cloth,Leather

Weapon Proficencies:Simple Melee Weapons

Impliments:Transmutation Circle

Bonus to Defence:+1 Will,+ 1 Fortitude

Hit Points At 1 st level:12+Con

Hit Points Per Level Gained:5

Healing Surges per Day:6+Con Modifier

this is all I have I need help with builds,abilities and class traits so that it will be balanced.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-06-23, 04:56 PM
Interesting stuff here, but I think you're limiting yourself far too much.

Striker isn't really a good fit, because it cuts out most of the FMA alchemist feel, especially if you limit it to primarily ranged. Sure, that fits Mustang and Kimbley to a T, but what about Armstrong? Ed and Al? They have interesting effects that happen, and for that reason, I'd say that you need a few options for Alchemists.

I'd say make two separate branches with a common tertiary stat of Intelligence. Constitution would be the basis of a more controller-esque branch, and that primary stat would give you access to powers which, for example, create zones (to emulate the ability of an alchemist to create terrain or specific effects). Dexterity would be a more striker-ish build, going for straight-up damage.

As for power source, if you want to fit with 4E, arcane goes just fine with what you're trying to do. The arcane power source, as seen in wizard, can be about understanding the basic matter and energy which make up the universe, which is exactly how the FMA alchemists work.

I really like the transmutation circle implement idea, and I'm interested to see exactly what you mean by that.

Obviously these guys are going to get the Alchemist feat, right? Lol. I think it would also be cool to let them do something like mastering Creation rituals without having the Ritual Caster feat, and without needing a ritual book.

The_Admiral
2009-06-24, 01:38 AM
Interesting stuff here, but I think you're limiting yourself far too much.

Striker isn't really a good fit, because it cuts out most of the FMA alchemist feel, especially if you limit it to primarily ranged. Sure, that fits Mustang and Kimbley to a T, but what about Armstrong? Ed and Al? They have interesting effects that happen, and for that reason, I'd say that you need a few options for Alchemists.

I'd say make two separate branches with a common tertiary stat of Intelligence. Constitution would be the basis of a more controller-esque branch, and that primary stat would give you access to powers which, for example, create zones (to emulate the ability of an alchemist to create terrain or specific effects). Dexterity would be a more striker-ish build, going for straight-up damage.

As for power source, if you want to fit with 4E, arcane goes just fine with what you're trying to do. The arcane power source, as seen in wizard, can be about understanding the basic matter and energy which make up the universe, which is exactly how the FMA alchemists work.

I really like the transmutation circle implement idea, and I'm interested to see exactly what you mean by that.

Obviously these guys are going to get the Alchemist feat, right? Lol. I think it would also be cool to let them do something like mastering Creation rituals without having the Ritual Caster feat, and without needing a ritual book.

1.By branches you mean build right?:smallconfused:
2How about the main role?
3Thanks for the advice for the power souce.
4The transmutation circles are similar to the ones in FMA.
5I do not want alchemist like Ed and Al but alchemist like Amstrong I will run it through my mind.
6The reason for 5 is why should you try human transmutation when you have a cleric that can raise dead?

note:This is my first homebrew.

MALAYSIA BOLEH

DracoDei
2009-06-24, 06:48 AM
CarpeGuitarrem means as far as the transmutations Ed and Al do every time they get in a fight, or even every day as a matter of convienence.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-06-24, 09:17 PM
Yeah, "branches" and "build" are basically the same thing in my book. Basically, a bunch of powers that work well together, usually because of using the same primary or secondary stat.

The main role, I'm really not sure, but striker doesn't seem to be it. Perhaps an interesting sort of defender? FMA really breaks that sort of mold, when it comes to roles. It'll require a good bit of creativity.

As far as the transmutation circle, that means that it would basically be inscribed on something that you have on your person? The only thing is, a transmutation circle is basically used for one sort of function. Only Ed and Al are able to do all sorts of things, because they operate above and beyond specific transmutation circles. So how would you reflect that?

When I gave Ed/Al as examples, it was mainly because I was noting that there's alchemists for more stuff than just ranged combat. And yeah, Armstrong is the ideal example of otherwise, because he almost always uses melee alchemy.

And yeah, basically I'm raising a few questions to help you along with speed bumps you could encounter in design. I've done a bit of 4E class design, although I have yet to finish a class...most of my classes are around 10th level. I need to get to that.

The_Admiral
2009-07-03, 09:12 PM
Finally I am allowed to use the computer.

The reason I did not post for a long time is exam fever it is so annoying.

Anyway here are the builds.

note:I will just call them what they are please help me think up cool names.

ranged alchemist
You prefer to stay behind and deal damage while staying safe from enemy attacks.Eventhough your attacks deal less damage then the meele alchemist,you prefer to advoid damage and stay safe.

suggested feats:Action Surge,Quick Draw,Geomatric Artist<I am going to put this in the alchemist feat section>,Human Preseverence

suggested skills:Arcane,Nature,Perception

suggested encounter power:?????

suggested daily power:???????

meele alchemist
You like to take things head on.your attacks deal much more damage then the ranged alchemist but with a tradeoff of getting more damage.

suggested feats:Action Surge,Geomatric Artist<I am going to put this in the alchemist feat section>,armour proficency hide,Human Preseverence

suggested skills:Arcane,Nature,Atheletics

suggested encounter power:?????

suggested daily power:???????

I dont have the skills yet and I am using the core books.