PDA

View Full Version : New Character Class: The Witch

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-02-22, 11:56 PM
This is a class that I amalgamated from several non-WOTC sources and the variant witch in the DMG. Anyway...

The Witch
Somewhere between the druid and the wizard lurks the witch. A figure of mystery and romance, of bittersweet endings and of revenge-inspired beginnings. From the hedge wizard to the crone, the healer to the hag, the woman in the tower to the beastly nightmare that exults in the terror of his enemies; the witch is a constant source of imagination as either an ally or an enemy. She is a figure who recognizes the powers within nature, but also believes in the governing forces behind it.

The witch is a spellcaster who sees magic as a craft to be practiced and learned like any other. It is the craft of weaving and making, the craft of charms and spells, the Craft of the Wise Ones, witchcraft.

Adventures: An adventure for a witch is an opportunity to expand her powers, knowledge, and resources. She seeks out rare plants and herbs, gathers knowledge from distant places, and then passes her lore on to worthy apprentices. While not overly concerned with material things, she does recognize the value of coin to further her goals and the accumulation of magical equipment can provide protections otherwise not available to her.

Characteristics: The witch is an amalgamation of the wizard, druid, and cleric. She is able to cast what are usually arcane spells as divine invocations from her two sources of power—the god and goddess. She is a capable healer, having gained mastery of herbs to supplement her spell casting ability. Witches cast spells that are subtle compared to the flashy and direct magic of wizards and sorcerers. Their powers focus on charms, enchantments, protection, healing, nature, and transformation, not bolts of fire and lightning. Like a sorcerer or a wizard, a witch can call a familiar—a small, magical animal companion that serves her.

Alignment: The witch’s beliefs help to create an understanding of the balance inherent in all things: light and dark, life and death, summer and winter, god and goddess. Witches tend to include neutrality somewhere in their alignment, being able to see both sides of things. No particular alignment is required to practice witchcraft, however, and witches of all alignments are known.

Religion: Witches turn the religious spectrum upside down as they believe, almost universally, that the entire pantheon is nothing more than a collection of assorted aspects of the male and female divinities. They believe the gods are manifestations of the particular traits of either power. Given this, witches can worship any god or goddess, though they generally favor gods devoted to magic or nature.

Background: The Craft is traditionally passed down from teacher to student across the generations. Unlike wizards, witches aren’t trained in academies or schools of magic, they learn from their elders while serving as apprentices. Sometimes a witch may come from a family of witches, in which case the craft is passed from one generation to the next. Others are apprenticed to a coven, and learn from them. In past times, stodgy wizards and pious clerics have misunderstood and mistrusted witchcraft, so witches commonly keep their practices and teachings to themselves.

Races: Of all the races that find the witch appealing, humans, above all, are drawn to the power and mystique associated with witchcraft. Elves, on the other hand, find it a poor cousin to wizardry and have little use for their backwards charms, herbs, love potions, and other trinkets. Still, elves do make excellent witches, due to their familiarity with enchantment magic. Elven witches favor more positive uses for the craft such as healing, protection, and other beneficial spells. Half-elves, naturally outcasts from both sides of their heritage, find witchcraft a potentially valuable career path. Their elven background grants a link to the natural world, and the community of a coven is usually to their liking, providing a family that they might not otherwise have known. Dwarves and gnomes have little use for witchcraft, as the former focus on the rigors of warfare, while the latter enjoy the trickery inherent to illusion. Halflings, however, are natural witches as many features of the witch complement the halfling deities. Other races exploit the evil side of witchcraft. The most common practitioners among the less civilized races would certainly be the Hags. Tieflings also typically exploit the powers of witchcraft given their familial connection to things originating from the lower planes. Finally, among the humanoid races, there are an almost infinite number of witch doctors and magic workers, many of whom practice witchcraft.

Other Classes: Witches require other classes for protection, for they do not have the raw offensive power that sorcerers control. They usually develop solid working relationships with rangers and barbarians, as many times their outlooks will mesh. Witches are particularly friendly with druids, with whom they share much in common. They have no quarrel with clerics and wizards, although the reverse is not always true. Some clerics find witchcraft suspect because of its secrecy and rumors that witches worship evil outsiders or forbidden deities. Wizards sometimes look down their noses a their “country cousins”, refusing to believe that arcane knowledge could come from anywhere other than a musty old tome. Some paladins believe that “evil witch” is a redundant term, but any with a modicum of good sense and restraint can tell a good witch from an evil one, and understand the difference. Rogues hold a place of value for the witch, considering their capability of getting into places no others can. Their penchant for subterfuge is an asset they cannot refuse. Bards tend to manipulate similar magic, although they draw from different sources. Other classes have no particular feelings, good or bad, toward witches for the most part (and the same is true of witches toward them).

Game Rule Information
Abilities: Wisdom determines how powerful a spell a witch can cast, how many she can cast, and how difficult those spells are to resist. High Intelligence is useful to a witch as it provides additional skill points. Like a wizard or sorcerer, a witch benefits from high Dexterity and Constitution scores.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d4
Random Starting Gold: 3d4 x 10 gp

Class Skills: The witch’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the witch.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Witches are proficient with the athame (see below), club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, sickle, sling, and witch sword, but not with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a witch’s arcane gestures, which can cause her spells to fail, if those spells have somatic components).

Spells: A witch casts a combination of arcane and divine spells, which are drawn from the witch spell list (see below). A witch must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time (see below). To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, a witch must have a Wisdom score equal to 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class of a saving throw against a witch’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the witch’s Wisdom modifier. Like other spellcasters, a witch can cast only a certain number of spells per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on table shown below (The Witch). In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Wisdom score (see Table 1-1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, page 8 PHB v3.5). Like a wizard, a witch may know any number of spells. She must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending an hour studying her Book of Shadows (see below). While studying, the witch decides which spells to prepare. Witch spells count as both arcane and divine spells for purposes of determining spell immunities and resistances and eligibility for prestige classes.

Bonus Languages: A witch may substitute Draconic or Sylvan for one of the bonus languages available to the character because of her race. Arcane spells are often written in Draconic, so witches sometimes learn it as part of their studies. A witch’s connection with nature means she sometimes deals with woodland creatures, so learning Sylvan gives her an advantage when dealing with them.

Familiar: At 1st level, a witch may obtain a familiar in exactly the same manner as a sorcerer or wizard can.

Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells: A witch cannot cast spells of an alignment opposed to her own. For example, a chaotic good witch cannot cast spells having the lawful and/or evil descriptors.

Book of Shadows: Witches utilize their books of shadows to hold their spells, recipes for concoctions, and so on. Each day, when preparing their spells, they must review their book of shadows, much in the same way a wizard reviews her spellbook. The witch cannot prepare any spell not found within her book of shadows. A witch begins play with all 0 level witch spells (called tricks) plus three 1st level spells of the player’s choice. For each point of Wisdom bonus, the spellbook holds one additional 1st level spell. Each time the witch earns a new level, she gains two new spells of any level or levels she can cast. At any time, a witch can also add compatible (with her spell list) spells found in other spellbooks to her own. The Book of Shadows follows the rules for spellbooks as described in the Player’s Handbook.

Nature Sense: Just as a druid can identify plants and animals (including their species and traits) without error, so too can the witch. Also, witches can identify water sources as being either safe to drink or contaminated, and ill suited for consumption. She gains this ability at 2nd level.

Timeless Body: At 10th level, the witch no longer appears to age, nor suffers any penalties for aging. She becomes immune to any form of magical aging. If she accrued any penalties due to aging prior to achieving 10th level in the witch class, those penalties remain. The witch still receives all bonuses for aging, but remains subject to death by natural aging.

A Thousand Faces: At 13th level, a witch gains the supernatural ability to change her appearance at will, as if using the spell alter self.

Fascination: At 16th level, the witch may use this supernatural ability to fascinate her opponents once per day. This power functions like the dominate person spell, but maintaining control after it is successfully used is a standard action requiring a Concentration check (DC 20) each round. If successful, the victim will faithfully serve the witch for as long as she is able to concentrate. Service to the witch is absolute but is limited by acts qualifying as suicide. Any such command immediately breaks the effect.

Longevity: Witches who achieve 20th level benefit from an extended lifespan. A witch’s maximum age is changed to equal the maximum age + the maximum die roll possible, the total then multiplied by 4. This is the witch’s new maximum age. For example, Allana is a 20th level human witch. Normally, the maximum age for humans in the venerable category is 70 + 2d20 years. When refiguring her maximum age, she treats the d20 results as 20s. So her new total is 70 + 20 +20 (for a sum of 110). She then multiplies this result by 4, allowing her to reach 440 years of age before she will expire naturally.

The Witch uses the Base Attack Bonus, Saves and Spells Per Day of the Wizard, as shown in PHB p.55.

Witch Spells
0 Level: arcane mark, cure minor wounds, dancing lights, daze, detect magic, detect poison, flare, ghost sound, guidance, inflict minor wounds, light, mending, prestidigitation, read magic, resistance, virtue.

1st Level: calm animals, cause fear, change self, charm person, command, comprehend languages, cure light wounds, deathwatch, detect chaos/evil/good/law, doom, endure elements, hypnotism, identify, inflict light wounds, obscuring mist, protection from chaos/evil/good/law, silent image, sleep, speak with animals, summon nature’s ally I, ventriloquism.

2nd Level: alter self, augury, blindness/deafness, calm emotions, cure moderate wounds, death knell, delay poison, detect thoughts, enthrall, hold animal, hold person, hypnotic pattern, inflict moderate wounds, invisibility, locate object, minor image, mirror image, scare, speak with animals, summon nature’s ally II, whispering wind.

3rd Level: bestow curse, clairvoyance/clairaudience, contagion, create food and water, dispel magic, dominate animal, Leomund’s tiny hut, magic circle against chaos/evil/good/law, major image, meld into stone, rage, remove blindness/deafness, remove curse, speak with dead, suggestion, summon nature’s ally III, tongues, wind wall.

4th Level: charm monster, confusion, crushing despair, discern lies, divination, fear, giant vermin, good hope,hallucinatory terrain, lesser planar ally, locate creature, minor creation, neutralize poison, poison, polymorph, remove curse, scrying, summon nature’s ally IV.

5th Level: animal growth, baleful polymorph,break enchantment, dismissal, dream, dominate person, false vision, feeblemind, greater command, hold monster, magic jar, major creation, mirage arcana, nightmare, seeming, sending, summon nature’s ally V, telekinesis.

6th Level: animate objects, control weather, eyebite, find the path, geas/quest, greater scrying, heroes’ feast, legend lore, mass suggestion, mislead ,move earth, project image, repulsion, shadow image, summon nature’s ally VI, Tenser’s transformation, true seeing.

7th Level: creeping doom, finger of death, greater scrying, insanity, liveoak, mass hold person, planar ally, repel wood, summon nature’s ally VII, transport via plants, wind walk.

8th Level: antipathy, demand, discern location, horrid wilting, maze, polymorph any object, reverse gravity, summon nature’s ally VIII, sympathy, trap the soul.

9th Level: astral projection, dominate monster, earthquake, foresight, mass hold monster, refuge, shapechange, summon nature’s ally IX, time stop, wail of the banshee, weird.

Witch's Weapons
Light Melee Weapons:
Athame; Cost 25 gp; Dmg (S) 1d4; Dmg (M) 1d6; Critical x3; Weight 3 lb; Type S or P.

The athame is a slender dagger with a slightly wavy blade. It is a wicked weapon that is deadly sharp. It can be used as a focus for casting some witch spells, just as druids use mistletoe as a focus for certain spells. This knife sometimes have an inscription along the blade's length denoting its owner and coven. The pommel is always a stone of minor worth, but high spiritual value.

Compiled from:
D&D Dungeon Master's Guide, v.3.5, published by Wizards of the Coast, 2003.
The Quintessential Witch, published by Mongoose Publishing, 2002.
The Way of the Witch, published by Citizen Games, 2002.
The Witch's Handbook, published by Green Ronin Publishing, 2002.

Seffbasilisk
2006-02-23, 12:02 AM
Seems cool to me...I think I'll open it as an option to my players once thier character dies. (and they do die. with regularity.)

Townsfolk
2006-02-23, 03:49 AM
Why Timeless Body? In most folklore, witches are old hags...

Though, I can understand longevity.

Dhavaer
2006-02-23, 03:54 AM
I've seen a very similar class to this on the Wizards boards. Also, Nature Sense has a different effect, now. It gives +4 to Knowledge: Nature and Survival, I think.

Single Shot Zombie
2006-02-23, 05:58 AM
Witch spells count as both arcane and divine spells for purposes of determining spell immunities and resistances and eligibility for prestige classes.

That sounds a bit weird........

Maybe instead of a combined list, you could give the witch two seperate spell lists; one arcane, one divine.

Leon
2006-02-23, 11:35 AM
wasnt the witch a NPC class back in 3.0?, im sure ive seen a offical one somewhere

StarWarz2
2006-02-23, 01:57 PM
wasnt the witch a NPC class back in 3.0?, im sure ive seen a offical one somewhere

It's BRIEFLY outlined in the DMG (as credited in the OP) as an example of making a new spell list. Nothing much else to it really (especially nothing this detailed).

As for the class - I like it.

Been talking to a Wiccan recently? A lot of the ideas (particularly the Book of Shadows) comes from modern Wicca. Anything more than this is probably skirting too close to the Real Religion Prohibition in the TOS, so I'll leave it at that.

ccelizic
2006-02-23, 03:21 PM
I'd either declare all the spells arcane or divine. Whichever you prefer. I mean look at the bard, he's pure arcane and he weilds some spells reserved for clerics. Same thing goes with the hexblade, he's pure arcane but a few of his spells are from the cleric list. Dragons get access to ENTIRE cleric lists or domains of spells as arcane spells. So arcane/divine is not the description of the spells, it's a description of a means of invoking your special affects.

That being said, pick arcane or divine OOOR, just define your own method of spells, that's what the artificer does, he doesn't have arcane or divine spells, he has infusions.

Otherwise, it works.

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-02-23, 09:31 PM
It's BRIEFLY outlined in the DMG (as credited in the OP) as an example of making a new spell list. Nothing much else to it really (especially nothing this detailed).

As for the class - I like it.

Been talking to a Wiccan recently? A lot of the ideas (particularly the Book of Shadows) comes from modern Wicca. Anything more than this is probably skirting too close to the Real Religion Prohibition in the TOS, so I'll leave it at that.

Interesting you should mention that, because I tried to base this class as much on Wicca as I feasibly could. I'm not Wiccan myself, but have had what you might call a scholarly interest in the Craft for a long time.

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-02-23, 09:39 PM
I'd either declare all the spells arcane or divine. Whichever you prefer. I mean look at the bard, he's pure arcane and he weilds some spells reserved for clerics. Same thing goes with the hexblade, he's pure arcane but a few of his spells are from the cleric list. Dragons get access to ENTIRE cleric lists or domains of spells as arcane spells. So arcane/divine is not the description of the spells, it's a description of a means of invoking your special affects.

That being said, pick arcane or divine OOOR, just define your own method of spells, that's what the artificer does, he doesn't have arcane or divine spells, he has infusions.

Otherwise, it works.

The reason for the arcane/divine mix had to do with the variant spell list shown in the DMG, which had both arcane and divine spells on it, and other things in the non-WOTC material I used to compile the class. Your suggestion of picking an alternate method of spells has at least some validity. Instead of arcane and divine spells, she has incantations, hexes, or dwoemers, for example. Something to think about.

Caelestion
2006-02-23, 09:45 PM
Considering that a good chunk of that Witch class came from MGP's Quintessential Witch (and probably verbatim), you really need to quote your references when doing that.

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-02-23, 10:04 PM
Considering that a good chunk of that Witch class came from MGP's Quintessential Witch (and probably verbatim), you really need to quote your references when doing that.

True, but I stated at the beginning I had compiled it from different non-WOTC sources, and didn't create it from scratch. Perhaps I should have been more specific about which ones.

Caelestion
2006-02-23, 10:07 PM
Take a look at how the Giant references the OGL. I would do the same, e.g. The Quintessential Witch. Copyright 2004 Mongoose Publishing.

Edit: I know the actual date is 2002, but it's just an example! :)

ccelizic
2006-02-23, 10:54 PM
You don't want to say "arcane and divine" it will make for messy book-keeping. Does that mean she can make her scrolls arcane or divine? If so, then that makes her overly powerful. If you are deciding on two seperate lists then you got to decide which spell is arcane and which is divine, sure some spells may be cleric only, but there's a lot of spells that are sorc/wiz/cleric, and then you got to ask yourself which is it, and if the witch can choose, that agian makes her powerful, she can hammer out spells to match whatever the casters need.

As I said before, no spell is inherently arcane or divine. The means upon calling upon those spells is though. As I said before, a dragons of certain types can gain access to various cleric only spells and cast them as arcane spells as a sorceror. An example is the blue dragon. Imagine this following exchange which CAN happen while examining the loot from a blue dragon's lair.

GM "On his workbench you find a scroll of raise dead."
Cleric "SCORE!"
Gm "It's an arcane scroll."
Cleric "WHAT?!"

Yes, that scroll would be absolutely useless to the party unless they had someone on who had use magic device to force it to work, because the sorc/wiz don't have it on their list and can not cast it, and since it's arcane the cleric sure as heck can not use it.

Interestingly there's rules that leave the door open for a bard or sorc to study this spellscroll and learn it's workings and add it to their spell list on the next levelup that allows for a new spell of that level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#addingSpellstoaSorcerersorBardsRe pertoire). So that's one way a sorceror can learn to raise dead.

That being said it's a good idea to make a stand on your magic. Even if it's "A witch casts magic from a special tradition that melds arcane and divine into a style of spell casting that is entirely their own, their scrolls are only useable by other witches." or just calling it arcane or divine.

Jestir256
2006-02-23, 11:01 PM
Yeah, watch out for the arcane/divine issue. Even if you use spells from both lists, casters should always use one or the other, although I very much agree that the aesthetics of the witch blend the two. ccelizic's idea about unique magic is fine, but what kind of scrolls can the witch use?

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-02-23, 11:18 PM
Yeah, watch out for the arcane/divine issue. Even if you use spells from both lists, casters should always use one or the other, although I very much agree that the aesthetics of the witch blend the two. ccelizic's idea about unique magic is fine, but what kind of scrolls can the witch use?

My simple answer would be only those that are on her allowable spell lists. Anything else would be unintelligible and/or beyond her comprehension without multiclassing.

ccelizic
2006-02-23, 11:24 PM
My simple answer would be only those that are on her allowable spell lists. Anything else would be unintelligible and/or beyond her comprehension without multiclassing.

That doesn't change the rules any from what they are by stock for other spellcasters.

Try to be specific, because otherwise you get messy book-keeping.

Several ways to go about it

"Witches cast arcane spells from the following list..." nothing special.

"Witches cast divine spells from the following list..." Agian nothing special here.

"Witches have a special tradition that mixes elements of arcane and divine into a unique method of casting spells they may use either arcane or divine spell scrolls as class scrolls" This makes witches rather potent, it makes them a universal reciever as far as spell scrolls go and makes them powerful.

"Witches have a unique tradition <clip> Their spell scrolls may only be used by other witches, witches may only use spell scrolls scribed by other witches." Makes them weaker, they need special scrolls, they have a harder time using loot.

"Witches have a unique tradition <clip> They may use either type of spell scrolls and the scrolls that they scribe are universal and of neither type." This is like the WoTC ruling on artificer scrolls, artificers scribe universal scrolls that both arcane and divine casters can use. So if an artificer scribes a scroll of "protection from evil" a wizard can pick it up and cast it just as easily as the party cleric. I am not a fan of this method but it makes for easier book-keeping.

Dragonmuncher
2006-02-23, 11:35 PM
I think it's a decent class, but I've seen many more interesting and varied interpretations of the "witch."

Here's a class that's more fairy-tale witch than "Wiccan," per se, but I think it's extremely cool:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=119098

StarWarz2
2006-02-25, 10:44 AM
Other than draconic casters, there's a precedent for using healing as Arcane spells - the Bard. Cure Light Wounds is on the spell list, but they cast all of their spells as Arcane spells.

Regardless of WHAT the spell is, I think this class should be another Divine caster.

Think about it - the primary source of their power is their belief in/access to spirits/forces outside themselves. So, Divine fits.

The twist that all of thier spells are stored in a variant spellbook makes them a little more interesting.

Nero24200
2006-02-27, 12:10 PM
Normally I'd coment on the class, but not in this case
How would you describe witchs?
If they're creep spell-casters who live in the forest, then they're druids.
this makes alot of sense too, as the origonal concept of witchs comes from druids

Maryring
2006-02-27, 01:14 PM
Well, you say that they are good healers, but they only get the most basic healing spells. Might want to change that. Either give them better healing spells, at least up to heal, or change the fluff.

Grey Watcher
2006-02-27, 01:51 PM
I have a question:

Here's your Timeless Body

Timeless Body: At 10th level, the witch no longer appears to age, nor suffers any penalties for aging. She becomes immune to any form of magical aging. If she accrued any penalties due to aging prior to achieving 10th level in the witch class, those penalties remain. The witch still receives all bonuses for aging, but remains subject to death by natural aging.

And here's Timeless Body as it appears in Monk entry on www.d20srd.org (the Druid entry is just about identitcal, except for the Druid gets it at level 15).

Timeless Body (Ex)

Upon attaining 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that she has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.

The only difference I observe is that the Witch does not appear to age, while the Monk and Druid entries are silent on the subject (so I always assumed that the Druid and Monk continue to gain wrinkles, loose hair color, loose hair, etc. as normal, they just don't loose Str, Dex, and Wis). Was this deliberate? If so, I'd suggest, to avoid confusion, you give this ability a different name (ie Agelessness), and you haven't specified whether it's Extraordinary, Supernatural, or Spell-Like.

Maryring
2006-02-27, 02:15 PM
Well, it does say "timeLESS" so I don't think they get wrinkles and whatnot. Remember that wrinkles are there to show you that your body is weakening, but a Monk or Druid don't weaken with age.

captain_decadence
2006-02-27, 02:48 PM
It does say timeless, but I always assumed that monks looked aged, they just did not have any of the penalties. The image of the little old monk that can kick pretty much anyone's butt is a common cultural icon. That's how I always saw the power working. You age and gain wisdom and the like but you lose none of your strength and dex.